Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 A question about the Best of the Realms series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  16:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How many (or what percentage) of the short stories in these anthologies are reprints from older Realms of... anthologies compared to new short stories? And is it worth buying all the old short stories again to get the new ones? I guess that is two questions.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  17:39:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

How many (or what percentage) of the short stories in these anthologies are reprints from older Realms of... anthologies compared to new short stories? And is it worth buying all the old short stories again to get the new ones? I guess that is two questions.

If you like the author.

I'd hazard the guess that about 75% of the stories will be reprints. Maybe more. I often miss the stories in Dragon magazine, though (which get reprinted in these anthologies), so just because a story is a "reprint" doesn't mean you've definitely seen it before. One story in the Ed Greenwood anthology was from the manual of a video game that I never played, for example.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 31 Oct 2007 17:41:29
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  18:05:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can speak to the proportion of new and "used" stories in Ed's collection.
The Ed Greenwood collection contained 15 stories. All were lightly edited and introduced by Ed.
Six were reprints from previous "Realms Of" anthologies.
One was an "outtake" (cutting-room floor) chapter from ELMINSTER: THE MAKING OF A MAGE (and it definitely wasn't cut for quality reasons).
One was a heavily-rewritten and expanded version of a story from a computer game manual. So, not new, but "like new" in this published form.
One was the original or first Realms short story, available only as a chapbook given out at GenCons or online.
One was a short story available online at the Wizards website.
One had appeared previously in DRAGON (back in the 200s).
One had appeared in a chapbook given only to Wizards, Ed's agent, and ONE lucky contest winner.
Which leaves three that were completely original, written by Ed for this collection.
So for the vast majority of readers, a third of this book was "new." To some, almost two-thirds or even more might be new (depending on their Net access, DRAGON collection, and how many of the "Realms Of" anthologies they own).
Ed also threw in the Alaundo welcome to the Realms previously published only in a giveaway advertising prospectus, years ago, and reprinted online (unofficially).
So I think the book is highly worth it, but of course, as Rino rightly points out, it depends on whether or not you like the author. In "essential moments of Realmslore" terms, the book ranks highly, too.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  18:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both! The first one sounds like one I will buy. What about the second Ed one? And does anyone know more specifics about the Elaine one?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  19:00:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Thank you both! The first one sounds like one I will buy. What about the second Ed one?

As far as I know, there is only one Best of the Realms for Ed.

quote:
And does anyone know more specifics about the Elaine one?

Many of the same comments apply with her book, too. There were a number of reprints from older anthologies, a few stories from Dragon, and four or five new stories, I think (although one "story" is actually a ballad).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  16:16:09  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
If you like the author.

I agree ...I bought the first anthology.. and i was little dissapointed.. but if you like the author it's a must to buy them...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000