Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Bhaalspawn saga
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  03:59:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

kuje, I don't really about the Seven Sisters though... They are all immortal and possess a lot of power in the Realms. I guess it's deity's choice of their offspring. For example, the offspring of the orc deities Gruumsh and Luthic, Bahgtru, is a lesser deity. Maybe it's how much power the deity divulge to their offsprings? I say this because Bhaal had many offsprings and maybe he just gave them all very little powers...

I can agree that it might depend on how much power the deity grants thier offspring. Yes they Seven Sisters have a lot of power and the like but they are not deities themselves. :)

Maybe Bhaal's blood was to diluted or some thing, it's hard to say and as we said the Bhaalspawn were originally created in 2e so 2e had different rules on such things.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  13:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
baldurs gate 2 was so funn and maney of them where powerful....
Go to Top of Page

PyrateJenni
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  20:41:16  Show Profile  Visit PyrateJenni's Homepage Send PyrateJenni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder where "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II" fits in the canon?

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." -- Tom Clancy_
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  23:20:40  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As noted earlier there was a Dragon article on Bhaalspwan characters, if you don't consider Dragon official then take this next part into consideration. In the poorly written novels the main hero choose not to accept his father's heritage, once he chose not to accept godhood, Bhaal's realm dissolved. In one of the current source book (which the title escapes my memory at the moment)from Wizards, this sourcebook gave descriptions of the Planes and which god/goddess lived on it. There was a very brief (one sentence)mention that Bhaal's realm on that plane just recently vanished. This is probably the only nod Wizards will give to the Bhaalspawn saga.
Overall, it is up to the dm on whatever he considers 'canon' or not.
My two coppers worth,
Bakra
P.S. Once I make it back to the bookstore I will get the name of that sourcebook and the page number the sentence was on.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  00:16:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PyrateJenni

Ed was asked by WOTC to write that sourcebook so it ties into the games, just like Pools of Radiance:Attack on Myth Drannor, or Curse of the Azure Bonds, or Ruins of Adventure does for some of the older and newer games that also had novels for them.

Jim Butler said it best. :)

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0003E&L=realms-l&P=R12457

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Apr 2004 03:21:09
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  01:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
In one of the current source book (which the title escapes my memory at the moment)from Wizards, this sourcebook gave descriptions of the Planes and which god/goddess lived on it. There was a very brief (one sentence)mention that Bhaal's realm on that plane just recently vanished. This is probably the only nod Wizards will give to the Bhaalspawn saga.
Overall, it is up to the dm on whatever he considers 'canon' or not.

PGtF, page 165, under the Lost Planes heading.

Edited by - Arivia on 26 Apr 2004 01:18:33
Go to Top of Page

Israfel666
Acolyte

Italy
37 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  23:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Israfel666's Homepage Send Israfel666 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PyrateJenni
Volo's Guide to BG2 is related to the Bhaalspawn saga only in that it acts as a guide to the same places that you visit in the Shadows of Amn video game. It has nothing or very little to do with the game itself. But if you have a friend that just played BG2 and you want to introduce him to tabletop FR, then Volo's Guide is an excellent idea ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
There was a very brief (one sentence)mention that Bhaal's realm on that plane just recently vanished. This is probably the only nod Wizards will give to the Bhaalspawn saga.

That sentence only implies that Bhaal is dead, which would have been true with or without the Bhaalspawn saga (as presented in the novels).

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff_K
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  21:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Jeff_K's Homepage Send Jeff_K a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've lost me with all this talk of "canon". I've been a Forgotten Realms fan for 5 years, and yet everyone seems to know more about it than me. Where do you get this information?
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  23:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Canon" is an old religious term about what is official. No matter if a game was released with the FR logo on it, saying it was in the realms, it doesn't "count" because the officials say it doesn't. Which leads me to ask why it was released as an FR product... but still.

And as for your time as a FR fan... some of these guys have been avidly reading everything for, quite literally, decades. It is not surprising that in that time they have amassed a lot of knowledge about the Realms.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  05:16:40  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I am concerned the books and games are not canon. Thats not saying there are no Bhaalspawn in my FR but that the Events of BG has not happened.

It's as was mentioned before like everything it's up to the DM what is canon and what isn't. Funny that I chose not to use any events in my game but I have hinted that someof the events in Neverwinter Nights may be happening in my world. However what I am including is nowhere near the complet events of the game.

However I also see canon as relative to what the DM wants for his game.

Run run as fast as you can you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man...

The Arcane Brotherhood, Wizards of the Sword Coast.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  06:15:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the psychotic seaotter

As far as I am concerned the books and games are not canon. Thats not saying there are no Bhaalspawn in my FR but that the Events of BG has not happened.

It's as was mentioned before like everything it's up to the DM what is canon and what isn't. Funny that I chose not to use any events in my game but I have hinted that someof the events in Neverwinter Nights may be happening in my world. However what I am including is nowhere near the complet events of the game. He also wrote a sourcebook to tie in with those games, as I mentioned many months ago in this thread.

That's nice but this isn't how it works.

There is the official canon from TSR/WOTC and then there is the homebrew canon for each of our games. Ed, the creator of the world, has said there has to be a official company canon and if you, or I, or anyone, as a DM, wants to change that then thats fine. But according to the official TSR canon the Bhaalspawn saga exists since it was written up in Dragon and given novels and Ed also supplied notes for those games most likely.

So there is a major difference between what your version of the setting is and what my version of the setting is and what TSR'S/WOTC's version of the setting is and we were discussing the TSR/WOTC version so they are canon. This isn't that hard to understand. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Nov 2004 07:26:45
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  06:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, there is no choice about what is or is not canon, it either is, or is not, like the color blue. You can use or not use, or alter, or ignore canon, but used or not it is still canon.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 27 Nov 2004 07:44:49
Go to Top of Page

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  07:07:20  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you see it that way but I never really have. I feel that if you don't use it it doesn't exist and thats it. Maybe it's just my way of reconciling my games vs. 'official' canon *shrug* then again maybe I forgot my medicine....

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  07:20:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm glad you see it that way but I never really have. I feel that if you don't use it it doesn't exist and thats it. Maybe it's just my way of reconciling my games vs. 'official' canon *shrug* then again maybe I forgot my medicine....

It's not how I see it. It's how the companies who make FR material see it. How the game designers see it. How the novel authors see it. There is a official TSR/WOTC canon and then there is homebrew canon. It has always been this way and it continues to be this way. I wish I could think like that. I don't use half the Realms Shaking Events so then, by that reasoning, they never happened in official Realms canon. I wish!

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Nov 2004 07:47:18
Go to Top of Page

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  15:16:30  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

It's not how I see it. It's how the companies who make FR material see it. How the game designers see it. How the novel authors see it. There is a official TSR/WOTC canon and then there is homebrew canon. It has always been this way and it continues to be this way. I wish I could think like that. I don't use half the Realms Shaking Events so then, by that reasoning, they never happened in official Realms canon. I wish!

I'll say this and quit before we continue to derail the thread to oblivion...

I really could care less what the powers that be think. With all do respect to the talent that created and continues to create FR If I pay the money for it and take the time to run it 'canon' is no more than suggestion. It can be official all they say or want it to be but it does not become so unless I acknowledge it.

The only exception I will make is in the point of novels but as far as I am concerned they take place in a different universe.(besides if you want to see a real canon mess look up the debates on what is or isn't Conan canon )

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  17:43:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really could care less what the powers that be think. With all do respect to the talent that created and continues to create FR If I pay the money for it and take the time to run it 'canon' is no more than suggestion. It can be official all they say or want it to be but it does not become so unless I acknowledge it.

The only exception I will make is in the point of novels but as far as I am concerned they take place in a different universe.(besides if you want to see a real canon mess look up the debates on what is or isn't Conan canon )

That's nice but I say again that's not how it works.

There is again your canon and my canon and then there is the official TSR/WOTC canon which is the only official canon. Everything else is hombrew. If you don't like it, fine. But I guarentee that you read the official canon unless you have never bought another sourcebook or novel except for the Old Grey Box and even that is still official canon.

I never said, and I've said it repeatedly, that people have to follow official canon but IT STILL exists and to claim that "If I don't use it then it doesn't exist," is a little naive.

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Nov 2004 17:45:46
Go to Top of Page

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  17:57:03  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

That's nice but I say again that's not how it works.

There is again your canon and my canon and then there is the official TSR/WOTC canon which is the only official canon. Everything else is hombrew. If you don't like it, fine. But I guarentee that you read the official canon unless you have never bought another sourcebook or novel except for the Old Grey Box and even that is still official canon.

I never said, and I've said it repeatedly, that people have to follow official canon but IT STILL exists and to claim that "If I don't use it then it doesn't exist," is a little naive.

It's obvious you'll never see my point. However I do respect your but absolutely do not agree with it. Canon is what I want and acknowledge whats left doesn't exist in my book.

Go to Top of Page

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  18:11:27  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However the Bhaalspawn Saga creates too many problems with the timeline if it is considered canon.

The Time of Troubles happens in 1358, from all indications in the first novel theis was when the Bhaalspawn would have been impregnated.

Now if the saga begins at 1369 the Bhaalspawn are only 10-11 years old and Sarevok is quite big for his age. However I have found nowhere that says the Bhaalsapwn were impregnated early.

So as far as I know or am concerned at best the saga is apocraphyl or it never happened no matter what the powers that be says unless the little conflict of age is resolved there can be no way it happened.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  18:33:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However the Bhaalspawn Saga creates too many problems with the timeline if it is considered canon.

The Time of Troubles happens in 1358, from all indications in the first novel theis was when the Bhaalspawn would have been impregnated.

Now if the saga begins at 1369 the Bhaalspawn are only 10-11 years old and Sarevok is quite big for his age. However I have found nowhere that says the Bhaalsapwn were impregnated early.

So as far as I know or am concerned at best the saga is apocraphyl or it never happened no matter what the powers that be says unless the little conflict of age is resolved there can be no way it happened.

Except they aren't apocraphyl and they are canon and I don't care what you say because again it's naive to believe that there is no official produced canon when the CREATOR of the world has said there is. But right you don't care what the CREATOR of the world says either.

Who said that Bhaal had to impregnate his offspring during the ToT's? Some of them had dragon blood or giant blood or elven blood, etc, so they could have been impregnated long before the ToT's. Where are you getting that assumption that that is the only time he could have done it?

And no. Official canon, again, isn't what you want to acknowledge. That is your homebrew version or my homebrew version or Eds or anyone elses and then there is ONLY one official canon and that is made by TSR/WOTC. Again this isn't that hard to understand. As soon as you ignore one part of the official canon then you are playing homebrew canon but the OFFICIAL canon still exists and to claim otherwise is very very naive.

And the canon article that contains the 3e Bhaalspawn template says as much. "Bhaal saw his death during the ToT's so he went around making children to store his divine essance in and they were supposed to bring him back to life after the ToT's." Gee that sounds a lot like what Mystra/Midnight-Mystra does with her Chosen.

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Nov 2004 18:57:07
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  19:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i can see the point of both kuje31, and the psychotic seaotter.

However I think that the psychotic seaotter has picked up the wrong end of the stick as it where.

Kuje31 isn't saying that Canon sources MUST be recognized IN YOUR GAME. But rather what he is saying is that a Canon source is an OFFICIAL source which, wither or not you incorperate it into your game, is the blueprints that all other FR product work from.

quote:
Originally Posted by the psychotic seaotter

What you interperate as Canon here I interperate as History, events and other general 'fluff'. Canon is not actually these things but rather the official verdict this is 'Set in stone' to a certian degree. That is you have no power to change the 'official (Read Publishers view' of the Realms. So if your campaign branches of from the 'official sourcebooks' (For example say you decided that the turmoil in the Zhentarium never occured) then you must assimilate and convert the Canon source (That is the Officially published infromation) to fit you Campaign.

What I'm trying to sat is Canon Information is the Info that is provided by the Game Designers not the information which you incorperate into the Game.

Lets try and get the discussion back on topic before Alaundo comes(If anyone wishes to talk about this I will over Private chat or in another post)

Incidently I like the idea of Bhaalspawn but I think I would only use it in a campaign where it was part of the main plot and I certianly wouldn't use any of the BG events.

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  21:09:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

i can see the point of both kuje31, and the psychotic seaotter.

However I think that the psychotic seaotter has picked up the wrong end of the stick as it where.

Kuje31 isn't saying that Canon sources MUST be recognized IN YOUR GAME. But rather what he is saying is that a Canon source is an OFFICIAL source which, wither or not you incorperate it into your game, is the blueprints that all other FR product work from.

What you interperate as Canon here I interperate as History, events and other general 'fluff'. Canon is not actually these things but rather the official verdict this is 'Set in stone' to a certian degree. That is you have no power to change the 'official (Read Publishers view' of the Realms. So if your campaign branches of from the 'official sourcebooks' (For example say you decided that the turmoil in the Zhentarium never occured) then you must assimilate and convert the Canon source (That is the Officially published infromation) to fit you Campaign.

What I'm trying to sat is Canon Information is the Info that is provided by the Game Designers not the information which you incorperate into the Game.

Lets try and get the discussion back on topic before Alaundo comes(If anyone wishes to talk about this I will over Private chat or in another post)

Incidently I like the idea of Bhaalspawn but I think I would only use it in a campaign where it was part of the main plot and I certianly wouldn't use any of the BG events.

Hanx
Elrond

Exactly. :) And I dunno I might include them in my game but then I don't really "need" to since I don't use ToT's and the trio didn't die in my version even though they did in official canon Realms. :)

Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  23:02:38  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK here me world..
Bhaalspawn saga is tremendous nad very good story.
The game is probably the best of Fgh games. The books can be pour, i havent read them either. But if the author did not succeed, does that make the whole saga bad? No. Not at all.
The epic saga of half-god is interesting and very good in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  04:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to change the subject or anything, but ... the original question was: when are the events of the Bhaalspawn saga set?

This from Forgotten Realms: The Library / Forgotten Realms Chronology (http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_13b.html):

quote:
1368 -- Year of the Banner "Baldur's Gate": Sarevok, spawn of the dead god Bhaal, plots with the Iron Throne to start a war between Amn and Baldur's Gate. Scar of the Flaming Fists and Grand Duke Eltan of Baldur's Gate are slain. Another spawn of Bhaal, Abdel Adrian, confronts Sarevok and slays him.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  04:43:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Not to change the subject or anything, but ... the original question was: when are the events of the Bhaalspawn saga set?

I answered this back on page 1. :)

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  05:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I answered this back on page 1. :)

So you did. It was at the bottom of the page and I missed it.

Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  22:39:29  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah it really happened then. The story of Bhaalspawn saga. I wasnt sure of it until that link. Thanks Jamallo!

Edited by - ode904 on 05 Jul 2005 22:40:13
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  02:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ode904

Ah it really happened then. The story of Bhaalspawn saga. I wasnt sure of it until that link. Thanks Jamallo!

"Not a problem." I do have a few insignificant uses. I am a persistent researcher, and delve deeper into matters once the Sages here provide me with an answer to a question. If I discover something new or interesting, I feel obliged to return and share that knowledge.

(Heheheheheh. I hope the suckers bought that line. My Lord Ksarul will pleased with me....)

_

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  00:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minardil

What was year of the Bhaalspawn saga (Story of Baldur's Gate)? Manuals say it's either 1369 or 1373. I ask this becouse I'm planning a grand adventure for my players.

If you are going by the novels, the answer is 1368-1369.

If you want to go by the computer game (which some people do!) the answer is a bit harder. BG2 has references to Lands of Intrigue, for example, that took place in 1370.

1373? The events of that year were only a twinkle in the designers' eyes back then.

I don't think the dates for this story matter *that* much, to begin with, but that's my opinion.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  02:32:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're keeping the events of the Bhaalspawn saga (as it was portrayed in the novels) as part of your overall Realms campaign, then they are largely canon with regard to time and dates.

The inclusion of the Bhaalspawn template in LEoF and an author's remarks in Kuje's FR FAQ on the WotC boards prove that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Feanor
Learned Scribe

100 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  10:46:25  Show Profile Send Feanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Minardil

What was year of the Bhaalspawn saga (Story of Baldur's Gate)? Manuals say it's either 1369 or 1373. I ask this becouse I'm planning a grand adventure for my players.

If you are going by the novels, the answer is 1368-1369.

If you want to go by the computer game (which some people do!) the answer is a bit harder. BG2 has references to Lands of Intrigue, for example, that took place in 1370.

1373? The events of that year were only a twinkle in the designers' eyes back then.

I don't think the dates for this story matter *that* much, to begin with, but that's my opinion.

The year when BG2 takes place is 1369 DR. The date in the main character's journal specify that. Those small references to events after 1369 I consider them just Bioware's carelessness.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000