Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 What would you pick?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shandiris Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 12:58:22
I'm currently in a dilemma. My budget is very low, and i want an spellcaster/red wizard,thay lore/play book.
And I can't decide between: Complete Arcane, Unapproachable East, or Magic of Faerun. (I dont care that Unapproachable East is 3.0)I already have DMG 3.5,MM 3.5,Draconicum, FRCS, PGtF, and Heroes of Battle.

Wich one would you pick?

Thanks in advance
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ergdusch Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 10:16:55
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

[...]and a very upset Khelben

Well, that would be a matter on when the campaign takes place really....

(For anyone more interested check the thread for the Blackstaff-Novel in the Novels section.)
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 09:48:46
A Thayan enclave prolly, and a very upset Khelben
Ergdusch Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 09:31:24
quote:
Originally posted by shandiris

Well my problem got solved last weekend, since my friend suddenly bought Complete Arcane. And they lowered MoF and UE in price. So I'm very happy now. I'l try and get spellbound.
Oh and btw, my campaign is running in Thay/Waterdeep.

Thanks to you all.

Well well now! Thats news to me - there is a Thay in Waterdeep?

Glad to be of service to you, Ergdusch
shandiris Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 08:53:25
Well my problem got solved last weekend, since my friend suddenly bought Complete Arcane. And they lowered MoF and UE in price. So I'm very happy now. I'l try and get spellbound.
Oh and btw, my campaign is running in Thay/Waterdeep.

Thanks to you all.
MerrikCale Posted - 30 Oct 2006 : 22:59:16
Plus I think Magic of Faeurn is one of the better sourcebooks.
Ergdusch Posted - 27 Oct 2006 : 10:58:08
i would agree with MerrikCale - buy MoF unless your campaign will take place in the particular region of the Unapproachable East. because otherwise, the sourcebook UE is not that much of use to you, IMO.

Ergdusch
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 27 Oct 2006 : 09:21:57
quote:

I'm currently in a dilemma. My budget is very low, and i want an spellcaster/red wizard,thay lore/play book.
And I can't decide between: Complete Arcane, Unapproachable East, or Magic of Faerun. (I dont care that Unapproachable East is 3.0)I already have DMG 3.5,MM 3.5,Draconicum, FRCS, PGtF, and Heroes of Battle.

Wich one would you pick?

Thanks in advance

If you're intersted in rooting your character in Forgotten Realms, I'd say MoF or UE. But if you want to add a bit more crunchiness to your character, go with Complete Arcane.

So you as which would I pick; I always go for Forgotten Realms books before anything else.
NiTessine Posted - 26 Oct 2006 : 05:18:38
I'd pick up Unapproachable East or Complete Arcane. I would not buy Magic of Faerūn at this time without a heavy discount, since the majority of its rules content has been since reprinted and updated to 3.5 in other sources, most notably Spell Compendium and Player's Guide to Faerūn.
sleyvas Posted - 25 Oct 2006 : 20:25:13
I'd recommend downloading spellbound as others have. Just read the history/city/social classes and whatnot. Skip all the game rules, since with 2nd edition its basically a hugely different beast.

Then, that being said, it comes down to "Will your campaign be based in Thay or its environs?" If so, pick up Unapproachable East for the new prestige classes, spells, and updates that really help you flesh out the area in 3E.

If not, go with Magic of Faerun. It has a broader realmsian feel and might help your fellow players. Note, a lot of the prestige classes were revamped in PGtF.
Vainelus Posted - 25 Oct 2006 : 03:53:46
out of the choices you mentioned for a thayan character/spell caster I would go with unapproachable East.

If you are a Dungeon master, I would strongly recommend purchasing Lost Empires of Faerun. It has great information on the spellcasters and lost magics and can provide great campaigns investigating some lost sites/artifacts.

finally, if you have interest in rp/story the complete series has nothing of value. However, it does provided you with pages of feats and spells.
MerrikCale Posted - 24 Oct 2006 : 02:13:46
I would go Magic of Faerun. Unless your campaign is in that region, then Unapproachable east might be more appropriate.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 14:42:46
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Get Magic of Faerūn and download the Spellbound boxed set, or get Spellbound on ebay.

I agree with Mace...but I would consider getting other 3.5 books instead...eithor Serpent Kingdoms (as it is almost a complete, stand alone book good for peeps with small collections of Realms materials) or Dragons of Faerun (as you have the Draconomicon already)

and if you want more books, look on Ebay (or other 'net sites) for bulk offers...you often can get alot of books really cheap that way
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 14:37:13
Well, my "personal buy-list" will follow that order:

1) Magic of Faerūn, that“s the base of wizard character lore in the Realms.
2) Unapprocheable East is a good book to develop the background/knowledge of the character.
3) Complete Arcane, for it“s basic arcane utility
4) Spellbound, the full-of-lore 2nd edition tome.
5) Dreams of Red Wizards, if you want all, have all.

Do you have the Spell Compendium?
silverwizard Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 14:24:49
I'd go for Spellbound and Unapproachable East. The former for the lore (as 2E products generally feature more lore than their 3E counterparts), the latter for the game info.
Reefy Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 00:22:26
I like my regional sourcebooks, and am unhappy I've been starved of them since City of Splendors: Waterdeep, but in this case, I'd go with what Mace suggested.
Victor_ograygor Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 21:33:15
I agree with Alaundo (Go for the regional sourcebook every time)
Unapproachable East
Alaundo Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 21:15:08
Well met

Go for the regional sourcebook every time Unapproachable East, without a doubt.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 17:24:38
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

If its avaliable for free then you can download it from the Wizards site (Wooly will be along shortly to give you the link)

This link: the Wizards downloads page?

None of the named products are available for free from there... But Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) is available from there. It's a 2nd edition source, but it's full of lore that can only help ground your character in the Realms.
EytanBernstein Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 16:54:17
Unapproachable East is 3.5, not 3.0.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 16:16:40
Or ebay...I made some killer bargains there
The Sage Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 15:46:42
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Thanks for the replies.
What exactly is the spellbound boxed set and where would i download it?

Its basicly the 2ed version of Unapproachable east

If its avaliable for free then you can download it from the Wizards site (Wooly will be along shortly to give you the link) If its pay pdf then you can buy it from the Pazio or RPGNOW websites for around 5 USD

Spellbound isn't available as a free download at WotC, unfortunately. You'll need to purchase it, as a PDF, from paizo.com for $4US. Nobleknight.com has second-hand print copies, if you'd prefer.

Also if you can find it, and for the sake of completeness, I'd also suggest you try and purchase Dreams of the Red Wizards -- either as a PDF from paizo.com or as a second-hand print copy from nobleknight.com.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 14:43:00
UE is a nice book, but like many of the 3.x stuff isn't really comprehensive as it deals with more on less pages. Plus if you can get the boxed set on ebay, you would have a bunch of maps etc.

I now have enough maps from boxed sets to plaster my living room with them...scary
Dargoth Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 13:59:34
quote:

Thanks for the replies.

Its basicly the 2ed version of Unapproachable east

If its avaliable for free then you can download it from the Wizards site (Wooly will be along shortly to give you the link) If its pay pdf then you can buy it from the Pazio or RPGNOW websites for around 5 USD
shandiris Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 13:29:44
Thanks for the replies.
Snotlord Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 13:14:55
I agree with Mace, if you're a player. If you are a DM preparing a campaign, I'd say go for Unapproachable East.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 13:00:29
Get Magic of Faerūn and download the Spellbound boxed set, or get Spellbound on ebay.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000