Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dark Elven Migrations

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 30 Jun 2016 : 14:47:52
A curious question appeared in my head that I remember thinking after the first time that I read GHotR. So, the Ilythiir of Clan Sethomiir, guided by the hand of the balor Wendonai, travel to the Riildath. They construct an underground fortress named Narathmault (located where "modern" day Dun-Tharos is) at a place of great evil. Four hundred years later, the descent is forced upon them, but they were already underground. From this, I can easily figure that any dark elves in the area comprising the bloodstone lands, unapproachable east, the old empires,and even around the moonsea/dalelands areas probably ultimately derive from this group. The ones further south probably ultimately derive from the Ilythiir tribes in the south.

Just wondering, the dark elves beneath the north though, or in Maztica, do we have any kind of "where they came from" relating back to the old Crown Wars era empires? I imagine some of them may have been from elves in the north who found themselves suddenly changed. The Maztica piece, I'm betting somewhere it was written up. Anyway, if the answer is, "no, nothing defined" that's ok... I was more curious than anything.

For that matter, are there any documented instances of dark elves in the other regions of Toril (hordelands/Anchorome/Zakhara/Kara-Tur or even any of the other really unknown regions such as Osse).
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Green Giant Posted - 01 Jul 2016 : 17:39:27
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Where was this mentioned?

Land of Fate boxed set - "Adventurer's Guide to Zakhara" pg. 55 under Forgotten Gods:

Lotha, a human-headed spider venerated by evil elves who were burned alive for their sins.

Also, Ajayib, City of Wonders contains another city built into the walls of cliffs looted and ruined generations ago. However, legends say there are original survivors of this dark race who dream of revenge in the caves.
This is in pg. 86

While in the book "Fortunes and Fates" on pg. 33 mentions that there are communities of drow and duergar. The drow worship Lolath and the duergar worship the elemental god Grome.
Of course this is up to the DM to determine whether this legend is true.
Wrigley Posted - 01 Jul 2016 : 11:41:47
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

A curious question appeared in my head that I remember thinking after the first time that I read GHotR. So, the Ilythiir of Clan Sethomiir, guided by the hand of the balor Wendonai, travel to the Riildath. They construct an underground fortress named Narathmault (located where "modern" day Dun-Tharos is) at a place of great evil. Four hundred years later, the descent is forced upon them, but they were already underground. From this, I can easily figure that any dark elves in the area comprising the bloodstone lands, unapproachable east, the old empires,and even around the moonsea/dalelands areas probably ultimately derive from this group. The ones further south probably ultimately derive from the Ilythiir tribes in the south.

Just wondering, the dark elves beneath the north though, or in Maztica, do we have any kind of "where they came from" relating back to the old Crown Wars era empires? I imagine some of them may have been from elves in the north who found themselves suddenly changed. The Maztica piece, I'm betting somewhere it was written up. Anyway, if the answer is, "no, nothing defined" that's ok... I was more curious than anything.

For that matter, are there any documented instances of dark elves in the other regions of Toril (hordelands/Anchorome/Zakhara/Kara-Tur or even any of the other really unknown regions such as Osse).

About Narathmault - I haven't found any clear evidence that anybody have known about this outpost and that it was defeated. Since it was a elven fortress in the heart of their forest it seems strange that it should be left by them if it was already underground for the purpose of Descent. I believe that it was not deep enough and that was a reason for abandoning it. Those drow then settled in two main areas: city of V'eldrinsshar (Qeen's Shadow) under Vaasa and under Thay.

Remaining dark elves from Myeritar should be all sharn and the rest of the Faerun seems to be settled later from South.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 01 Jul 2016 : 03:32:08
quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant

The only thing I could remember from Zakhara is the worship of Lotha(sp?) by a tribe of elves who were burned for their sins.

Where was this mentioned?
Seethyr Posted - 01 Jul 2016 : 01:54:24
quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant

From what I remember from the Maztica novel trilogy, the drow in Maztica got cut off from mainland Faerun, same as the dwarves they were battling, and turned to the worship of Zaltec. Lolth got revenge later by turning them into driders. Cordell's lover was also supposed to be an albino drow who passed herself off as a moon elf.

There's no evidence that there were any more than the small group mentioned in the novels, but I'd really like to assume there are. I've worked homebrew describing their interactions with the tlincalli that inhabit the Maztican underdark but other than that, we haven't heard anything else from the True World drow.
Green Giant Posted - 30 Jun 2016 : 20:13:34
From what I remember from the Maztica novel trilogy, the drow in Maztica got cut off from mainland Faerun, same as the dwarves they were battling, and turned to the worship of Zaltec. Lolth got revenge later by turning them into driders. Cordell's lover was also supposed to be an albino drow who passed herself off as a moon elf.

The only thing I could remember from Zakhara is the worship of Lotha(sp?) by a tribe of elves who were burned for their sins.
Brimstone Posted - 30 Jun 2016 : 15:46:47
IIRC The Drow that eventually founded Menzoberanzan, migrated from the Great Rift area.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000