Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Weapons of Legacy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 21 Jun 2005 : 02:16:43
Excerpt of this product in all its tentacle-filled goodness -

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050620a
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
warlockco Posted - 27 Jul 2005 : 06:33:15
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Coral's Bite might possibly be found in the hands of tritons at the bottom of the Bay of Dolphins of the coast of Dambrath.
Kelemvor's clergy is seeking Divine Spark to use against Velsharoon. The Church of Jergal is also seeking it. Divine spark may be currently held by the Companions of the Pallid Mask.
Dymondheart was given by the Nentyarch to an elf hunter named Elowyn.
Flamecaster's Bolt is possessed by a servant of Kossuth.
Mindsplinter is linked to the duergar city of Drik Hargunen in the Underdark.
Treebrother is tied to the Ashenwood of Rashemen.

These links are merely suggestions and of course can be switched out for other names and places and gods as fits with your campaign.

I think that Ur for instance is really, really cool and could easily be linked to the Uthgardt, or to orc tribes, or any barbarian peoples.

Durindana could be found in a vampire lair in Westgate, or any old abandonned dwarven delve.

Devious and Vicious might be found in the hands of an evil monk.

Desert wind could be from Calimshan or Zakhara or Mulhorand, or on the plains of the Tuigans.

I could go through and suggest Realms origins for each of the items, but I think I will leave the rest to your own imagination.

Thanks Gray.
Kuje Posted - 26 Jul 2005 : 18:22:19
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Now, about this tome on Weapons of Legacy....
I don't recall seeing how many pages WoL has. Anyone?
[/quote]

The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2005 : 14:22:20
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Mayhaps if the Sage actually got on with some pennings of Realmslore instead of chatting all the time then he wouldn't have such a high number!

quote:
I don't recall seeing how many pages WoL has. Anyone?
Alaundo Posted - 26 Jul 2005 : 08:41:18
quote:

Yeah, that occured around your 350th post.

Congrats fellow scribe .

[Alaundo personae]"Get back to work!"[/Alaundo personae]

::grumble, mutter::

Indeed, congratulations Gray. Very well deserved to a great asset of the library

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im bemused that Sage has a post count around 4 times higher than Alaundo

Mayhaps if the Sage actually got on with some pennings of Realmslore instead of chatting all the time then he wouldn't have such a high number!

Dargoth Posted - 26 Jul 2005 : 06:39:17
quote:

quote:

Hehe... That might account for something. But then, Big Al's Staff of the Irritated Moderator is bigger than mine .

Sounds like someones got "Staff Envy"

and if THAT doesnt provoke a comment from the Hooded one then nothing will!
The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2005 : 06:19:52
quote:

Hehe... That might account for something. But then, Big Al's Staff of the Irritated Moderator is bigger than mine .

Dargoth Posted - 26 Jul 2005 : 02:50:34
The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2005 : 02:30:54
quote:

Heh, heh. I just noticed I got promoted to "Senior Scribe." Feels pretty nice to be moving up in the ranks of Candlekeep.

Yeah, that occured around your 350th post.

Congrats fellow scribe .

[Alaundo personae]"Get back to work!"[/Alaundo personae]

Gray Richardson Posted - 26 Jul 2005 : 01:48:47
Heh, heh. I just noticed I got promoted to "Senior Scribe." Feels pretty nice to be moving up in the ranks of Candlekeep.
Gray Richardson Posted - 26 Jul 2005 : 01:45:44
Coral's Bite might possibly be found in the hands of tritons at the bottom of the Bay of Dolphins of the coast of Dambrath.
Kelemvor's clergy is seeking Divine Spark to use against Velsharoon. The Church of Jergal is also seeking it. Divine spark may be currently held by the Companions of the Pallid Mask.
Dymondheart was given by the Nentyarch to an elf hunter named Elowyn.
Flamecaster's Bolt is possessed by a servant of Kossuth.
Mindsplinter is linked to the duergar city of Drik Hargunen in the Underdark.
Treebrother is tied to the Ashenwood of Rashemen.

These links are merely suggestions and of course can be switched out for other names and places and gods as fits with your campaign.

I think that Ur for instance is really, really cool and could easily be linked to the Uthgardt, or to orc tribes, or any barbarian peoples.

Durindana could be found in a vampire lair in Westgate, or any old abandonned dwarven delve.

Devious and Vicious might be found in the hands of an evil monk.

Desert wind could be from Calimshan or Zakhara or Mulhorand, or on the plains of the Tuigans.

I could go through and suggest Realms origins for each of the items, but I think I will leave the rest to your own imagination.
warlockco Posted - 25 Jul 2005 : 09:52:27
quote:

All the weapons are generic enough to use in any campaign. Some have hints and adventure hooks for tying them into a Realms specific campaign, others make small reference to Greyhawk or Eberron. But every weapon is easily used in any setting you want.

The ones that make specific mention of Realmslore in their entries are:
Bow of the Black Archer
Coral's Bite
Divine Spark
Dymondheart
Flamecaster's Bolt
Mindsplinter
Treebrother

There may be others that I overlooked.

Gray any chance of listing what gods or nations might be related to any of those? I know the Bow of the Black Archer is related to Sheverash, from the preview, but what others?
Gray Richardson Posted - 25 Jul 2005 : 05:32:51
All the weapons are generic enough to use in any campaign. Some have hints and adventure hooks for tying them into a Realms specific campaign, others make small reference to Greyhawk or Eberron. But every weapon is easily used in any setting you want.

The ones that make specific mention of Realmslore in their entries are:
Bow of the Black Archer
Coral's Bite
Divine Spark
Dymondheart
Flamecaster's Bolt
Mindsplinter
Treebrother

There may be others that I overlooked.
Dargoth Posted - 25 Jul 2005 : 02:10:00
quote:

For those who have WOL what are the Realms Weapons?

Inquirying Realms fans want to know.....
Xysma Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 20:22:16
My only problem is when every pc wants to be running around with a legacy Weapon, is that adressed at all in this tome?
Xysma Posted - 19 Jul 2005 : 20:17:58
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

Kewl. I can buy more minis then

I was thinking the same exact thing
Dargoth Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 02:39:07
For those who have WOL what are the Realms Weapons?
Gray Richardson Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 02:08:56
To elaborate a little, normally, players are always looking for better stuff. When a player gets a +1 sword, he soon wants to trade up to a +2 sword--or one with flaming, holy or keen, etc.--just as soon as he can find one or gather enough treasure to buy one.

The idea of legacy weapons is that they have a story that goes with them that makes them unique, along with special qualities or powers that can be unlocked as the player gains in knowledge and experience.

Such a weapon might appear in the begining as a normal +1 sword, and can be given by DM's as treasure at lower levels. However, as the player grows more powerful, or as he unlocks certain abilities of the item through rituals, or research, the item grows with the player.

The player doesn't have to discard it for a "better" item as he levels. It does not outgrow its usefullness. It overcomes the "grass is always greener" mentality that often confronts players and DM's.

Hopefully a player will value and adore his legacy weapon, to the exclusion of all others, and will add to the weapon's story through his own adventures.

The book has some prestige classes that allow a player to use legacy items in special ways, or unlock an item's secrets faster. It has rules for constructing legacy items. And it has a ton of great sample legacy weapons with fantastic background stories, ready to use and drop into your game. There are also many adventure hooks fit for a DM to use to introduce such an item, or to base a campaign around.

I really like the book so far. And plan to use some of the items in my campaign. At the very least, I will probably never again tell the player he has recovered a +1 sword. Rather I will have the bard or sages identify the weapons as "The lost sword of Joanzen, who single handedly slew the orc horde of the crushing jaw clans that attacked the city some 400 years ago before he disappeared on an expedition to slay the Ice Wyrm of Trynthalas."

I am now sold that there should be no generic magic items in my game. They should all have a name or a back story or a poignant detail that makes them unique and which lends itself to roleplaying and which creates the potential for future adventure hooks.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 13 Jul 2005 : 18:36:45
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I picked up this tome last Friday and it is awesome. They give great example weapons and help through the process of creating weapons that all our characters always wanted. We no longer just have our flming broadsword +1, but a legendary sword that grows along with us. This book rocks - I will try to post a chapter by chapter review as well, but I am getting ready for my wedding in 2 days time and that is taking up a lot time! :)

C-Fb

Congratulations, C-Fb!!!
May the blessing of all Mordinsammar stay with you and your almost-wife all the days of your happy life!!!
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 13 Jul 2005 : 16:23:54
I picked up this tome last Friday and it is awesome. They give great example weapons and help through the process of creating weapons that all our characters always wanted. We no longer just have our flming broadsword +1, but a legendary sword that grows along with us. This book rocks - I will try to post a chapter by chapter review as well, but I am getting ready for my wedding in 2 days time and that is taking up a lot time! :)

C-Fb
Alaundo Posted - 13 Jul 2005 : 09:45:10
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Alaundo, perhaps you could give us a review of this tome after you are done?

I am very interested in Weapons of Legacy and was thinking if I should buy it myself.

I´m echoing this. Can you give us a review chapter-by-chapter of this tome, Alaundo? I´m very interested in it, too.

Well met

Certainly. However, i don't have the tome with me at the moment and won't likely be able to give full details here until a day or two's time.

Needless to say, I am very impressed by what I have seen so far and recommend it simply on first impressions.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 12 Jul 2005 : 22:19:04
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I am very interested in Weapons of Legacy and was thinking if I should buy it myself.

I´m echoing this. Can you give us a review chapter-by-chapter of this tome, Alaundo? I´m very interested in it, too.
DDH_101 Posted - 12 Jul 2005 : 21:25:26

Alaundo Posted - 12 Jul 2005 : 21:15:50
Well met

I purchased this tome today and must say on first impressions... very nice indeed. There is much more information and depth to these items. I'd expected more of a standard equipment tome, but there is far more too it. I'll sit down more with this over the next few days

Any other thoughts on this tome?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jul 2005 : 17:11:54
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Thanks Sirius for the Gallery.The art work is done pretty well too...It adds good flavor so to speak....

Glad you enjoyed it. Going to purchase this tome?

I will, as well, assuming I can find a good price on eBay.
VEDSICA Posted - 12 Jul 2005 : 14:22:58
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Thanks Sirius for the Gallery.The art work is done pretty well too...It adds good flavor so to speak....

I may consider doing just that!
SiriusBlack Posted - 12 Jul 2005 : 03:18:44
quote:

George Krashos Posted - 12 Jul 2005 : 01:06:01
quote:

George your going to do something with Narfell?

I was going to do a "Dargoths Unofficial Treatsie on Narfell" after I finish with Jhaamdath (Yes yes its coming its coming)

Well, I'm always doing something on the East - Impiltur is my prime area of interest but I keep finding myself wanting to start from 'the beginning' and map out the historical evolution in the East for the sake of completeness. I can't write about Narfell till I sort out the Great Glacier. I can't write about the Great Glacier until I sort out its nature, why it spread and why it stopped. I can't talk about why it stopped until I get a handle on the elven presence in the Rawlinswood/Forest of Lethyr, Gray Forest and Yuirwood. I can't sort out the elves until I work out the earliest human presence in the region as a "Creator Race", given references to humans in the Yuirwood. I can't look at humans as a "Creator Race" until I spend some time thinking about the other Creator Races and references that point to sarrukh presence in the East such as the Thaymount. Do you see where I'm coming from? This FR history stuff isn't easy, you know! That said, I'm shaping up something in accordance with the above at the moment - however other projects have intervened just lately so there will be nothing for the fans for a couple of months at the least. Anyways, enough of my rambling.

-- George Krashos
VEDSICA Posted - 11 Jul 2005 : 21:21:36

SiriusBlack Posted - 11 Jul 2005 : 12:33:52
A gallery is now available.
Dargoth Posted - 11 Jul 2005 : 10:52:24
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

No, not really. I'm working on a comprehensive timeline for the East at the moment (along with a few other things) which will, inter alia, give us some lore on Narfell and Raumathar. The good thing is that the region is very unlikely to be visited again officially and in print for a long time, so it gives me the chance to shape up some of my ideas and see what will float - that's how it turned out for my Illusk stuff and other North historical bits and pieces I wove together.

The problem with this project however, unlike the North Timeline, is that instead of having to fit in lots of small, obscure (and conflicting) references, I'm having to fill in lots of gaps. That's all well and good to an extent, but my creative vision for a slice of the Realms might not be the one that WotC or designers of the future will like or embrace and so the risk I run is busting my hump for nothing in relative terms, with all my hard labour reduced to the monolithic fan-lore pile. That's not a bad place to be (much better than the super-sized monolithic too-lazy-to-make-up-any-lore pile of nothingness) but I have greater ambitions than that!

If I can get a few DRAGON pieces published that put into print the guts of what I'm striving for here, then there's a much greater chance of seeing it work out that way in the end. Sometimes in the Realms, for better or for worse, it's not who writes the 'best' stuff, it's who gets the chance to write the 'first' stuff. Look at Slade's Netheril ...

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not saying that my stuff is 'the best stuff' - but I sure would like to get the chance to let others judge for themselves.

-- George Krashos

George your going to do something with Narfell?

I was going to do a "Dargoths Unofficial Treatsie on Narfell" after I finish with Jhaamdath (Yes yes its coming its coming)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000