Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Greetings to the Realms community

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Magean Posted - 25 Jan 2022 : 22:33:43
Hey everyone,

It's about time for me to create an account; even if I'm not going to visit every day, I'm glad I now "belong".

I was introduced to the Realms as a child when I played Baldur's Gate and this saga, as well as the other Bioware classics, forever affected my mental landscape. Ever since, immersing myself in the Forgotten Realms, be it through tabletop or video gaming, or reading lore, has felt like returning to a warm place called home.

Actually, my memories of exploring the Sword Coast were a major determinant in my decision to pick up roleplaying as a hobby years later. Unfortunately, those were the 4e days. But I didn't know that. So, I went to the local game store, bought the 4e Campaign Guide, and realized those weren't the Realms I knew. Kind of like returning to a childhood location, only to find out that a generic mall now stood in the place of the trees you used to play in, see what I mean?

Anyway, as a result I relied on the Wiki for pre-4e information for a while - and this is the time for me to thank everyone here working on it, you're doing an awesome job.

Last year, I found a physical copy of the 3e Campaign Setting for a good price, which probably is the best canon compilation available to this day. I'm now using it as my baseline reference.

As for 5e, the spirit and feel of the Realms are back but the damage hasn't been undone. It's a shame we don't have a comprehensive Campaign Setting yet, there are so many holes left and so many continuity problems. I'm a player in a long-running 5e campaign (Out of the Abyss) and, after the GM mentioned how difficult it was to understand the current state of affairs in the Realms, as updated lore is either scattered or non-existent, I suggested we just moved the campaign a century in the past. Essentially, 3e would be canon unless directly contradicting campaign material. Playing a few years, maybe a decade past 1372 could be enough to explain a lot of things.

Besides, as a DM I'm now considering running a game set in Westgate or possibly in the Vilhon's Reach. I've seen a lot of the Sword Coast already, and yet there's so much material about the Inner Sea.

So... that's it!

Thanks you for reading.

PS : the forum looks great as is, please never change it! I love this retro look, it brings me back to the years I discovered the Realms in and feels like the digital counterpart of an ancient castle's library.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 02 Feb 2022 : 16:24:15
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

I do tours now? That's news to me!

News to me, too! First time I was here, you told me, "oh, I don't know, go find it by yourself," and "'Chamber of Sages' is still under construction, so stay out!!"

...also, there was a lot of flatulence (Magean, don't believe him; he does not, in fact, 'shoot thunder from his eyes' and 'crap lightning'. Just pellets. Soo many pellets...)

Lies! Slander and calumny! Falsehoods galore!

I told you, it was that mysterious blink dog that keeps popping out of sight any time someone looks for him! He's the flatulent one, and ever since I stepped on one of his squeak toys, he's been trying to ruin my reputation.

Dat's a gooood boy stinky blinky.... here's some cheese ... Good Boy.... Now follow the hamster and bark if he turns that corner right there.... yeah, you are such a good boy... Who wants more cheese?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Feb 2022 : 16:15:19
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

News to me, too! First time I was here, you told me, "oh, I don't know, go find it by yourself," and "'Chamber of Sages' is still under construction, so stay out!!"

...also, there was a lot of flatulence (Magean, don't believe him; he does not, in fact, 'shoot thunder from his eyes' and 'crap lightning'. Just pellets. Soo many pellets...)

Lies! Slander and calumny! Falsehoods galore!

I told you, it was that mysterious blink dog that keeps popping out of sight any time someone looks for him! He's the flatulent one, and ever since I stepped on one of his squeak toys, he's been trying to ruin my reputation.
AJA Posted - 02 Feb 2022 : 07:49:21
quote:

Ahem. Nevertheless, Magean, welcome abroad. Candlekeep is indeed awesome, and Wooly is right – if you've got questions, ask away! Also, if you do decide on Westgate, I'd suggest checking out the "Westgate Irregulars", DM'ed by Realms-author Erik Scott de Bie and crewed by other authors and writers – including the Realms' own Erin M. Evans – broadcast live on Twitch – if that's your thing! (They have a Discord too, if it's not!)

Alaundo Posted - 28 Jan 2022 : 08:58:10
Well met, Magean

Welcome to Candlekeep, the greatest library in all the Realms. I'm glad ye decided to join us in our search for knowledge and lore and hope ye enjoy thy stay.

Indeed, these old halls hark back to the old days, whilst almost all other establishments have been spruced up or crumbled completely. Ahh the nostalgia of those times.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jan 2022 : 01:04:41

Welcome to Candlekeep, Magean!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 26 Jan 2022 : 00:31:31
quote:
Originally posted by Magean

Hey everyone,

It's about time for me to create an account; even if I'm not going to visit every day, I'm glad I now "belong".

I was introduced to the Realms as a child when I played Baldur's Gate and this saga, as well as the other Bioware classics, forever affected my mental landscape. Ever since, immersing myself in the Forgotten Realms, be it through tabletop or video gaming, or reading lore, has felt like returning to a warm place called home.

Actually, my memories of exploring the Sword Coast were a major determinant in my decision to pick up roleplaying as a hobby years later. Unfortunately, those were the 4e days. But I didn't know that. So, I went to the local game store, bought the 4e Campaign Guide, and realized those weren't the Realms I knew. Kind of like returning to a childhood location, only to find out that a generic mall now stood in the place of the trees you used to play in, see what I mean?

Anyway, as a result I relied on the Wiki for pre-4e information for a while - and this is the time for me to thank everyone here working on it, you're doing an awesome job.

Last year, I found a physical copy of the 3e Campaign Setting for a good price, which probably is the best canon compilation available to this day. I'm now using it as my baseline reference.

As for 5e, the spirit and feel of the Realms are back but the damage hasn't been undone. It's a shame we don't have a comprehensive Campaign Setting yet, there are so many holes left and so many continuity problems. I'm a player in a long-running 5e campaign (Out of the Abyss) and, after the GM mentioned how difficult it was to understand the current state of affairs in the Realms, as updated lore is either scattered or non-existent, I suggested we just moved the campaign a century in the past. Essentially, 3e would be canon unless directly contradicting campaign material. Playing a few years, maybe a decade past 1372 could be enough to explain a lot of things.

Besides, as a DM I'm now considering running a game set in Westgate or possibly in the Vilhon's Reach. I've seen a lot of the Sword Coast already, and yet there's so much material about the Inner Sea.

So... that's it!

Thanks you for reading.

PS : the forum looks great as is, please never change it! I love this retro look, it brings me back to the years I discovered the Realms in and feels like the digital counterpart of an ancient castle's library.

Hey Alaundo! It's retro now! See, you wait long enough and every design comes back into fashion!

Welcome Magean! There will be a space hamster around shortly to give the formal tour.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000