Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Battle Against Orcus Adventure! (5E)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 11:25:32
Well Met Realms Fans!

So I'm currently writing an Adventure that will re-visit some of my group's longstanding Player Characters, one that has spanned some 15 years and now 3 separate Editions. Back in 2006 we started a campaign called "Us in the Realms" in which my group played ourselves - magically transported to the Realms (Sword Coast region). Basically it was designed to be Episodic in nature, each week or month (3-4 sessions) would follow a small story-arc and it would change as they attempted to find portals home. Yes, it's very much like the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon, but not nearly as bleak. I was later told this is also called Isekai (in anime), a subgenre of fantasy in which a character is suddenly transported from their world into a new or unfamiliar one.

Suffice to say, that after starting off at 1st level (in 3.5) we made it to 8th level. Then the Spellplague hit as we attempted to make our way home through a mirror portal in Blackstaff tower. The Blue-Fire messed with the mirror, causing it to turn inert and held us there in suspended animation until 1479 DR. We were then spat back out into Faerûn some 100 years in the future. Our carry over to 4th Edition stats.

It's been about 5 years campaign time since then. The group has sort of gone their separate ways (in real life, unfortunately) so many of them have become reoccurring NPCs that crop up from time to time. Our recent endeavors has been tracking the stolen Crown of Horns by a deranged cleric of Amaunator, using it's power to turn the lands surrounding Elturel into an undead landscape and polluting the Companion in the process. This is why they closed Fort Morninglord - as described in both the 4E and 5E Realms supplements. Our group managed to stop the evil priest, cleanse the Companion and retrieve the Crown of Horns. That is until a Shade showed up and basically mage hand 'yoinked' the crown from our grasp and flew away on a Veserab towards the Sunset Mountains. Our pursuit was in vain.

So now comes the current adventure: finding out what the Shades want with the Crown of Horns, the plans of Orcus, and what this means for the Realms.

Battle Against Orcus

The campaign starts 6 months after the events descibed above, about two days prior to Shieldmeet, 13th of Flamerule in 1484 by the Dalereconing (DR) calendar. The adventuring party is having a late dinner at one of the party's establishments (a running joke we had back in the day about the Realms having a sort of "Hooters") called the Busty Wench after just arriving from their respective duties and non-adventuring lives. The tavern is located in the upper ring area of Baldur’s Gate. The group are reminiscing about their days on Earth and their adventures on Faerûn. Things are going well as the friends bond and renew their affirmations to one another and their company - Swords of the Phoenix - when an ominous knock comes from the door.

The group is met by a number of figures who are led in by one of Mac’s serving lasses. Foremost among them is Grand Duke Ulder Ravengard, leading a pair of Flaming Fist soldiers. Along with the Baldurans are Lorhn Dunster, High Radiance of Lathander of the Spires of the Morning in Waterdeep, Doomguide [Everett] Volahk of Neverdeath Graveyard, and Ashe Quinoth, Golden Beak of the Raven Queen of Waterdeep. The three of these central religious figureheads have discovered that they each had a portion of a vision that seemed exceptionally dire.

- Lorhn’s vision was of a desolate wasteland, as a putrid and mired bay hugged gray beaches along the inner harbor of Waterdeep, the dead milling about aimlessly looking for food. Atop Blackstaff tower, a giant throne of granite and bones that held aloft a bored looking pot-bellied demon with decaying flesh, idly twirling a scepter.

- Volahk had a vision of desperate battles with the undead in Protector’s Enclave of Neverwinter, as swarms of monsters overran the walls. General Knox - an undead Death Knight version of him bearing an Unholy Standard with a Rod Topped with a Skull - leading the troops to kill everyone.

- Ashe’s vision is more of a feeling of dread and the words of her Goddess, the Raven Queen, screaming over and over “Not again! Not again! No No No…! The undead return!” finalized with the same symbol, a Red Topped Skull scepter.

These visions are all intertwined to one another due to the timing in which they appeared and because of the imagery shared, but all of them seem tied to the ramblings of an older defunct priest of Tyr - the dead power once known as the God of Justice on Toril. The priest, Hedrick Cormaeril of Neverwinter, seems distraught with lack of sleep and severe depravity. He rambles to himself, quietly, while his hand fidgets and he rocks back and forth. When questioned, his eyes go side to side - as if looking for some intruder that is near.

Lorhn addresses the group, bidding them a good evening and to talk about the pressing matters of their visions. With much research on her part in Waterdeep and afar, she was the one to put the three of them together as she looked for clues. During this time, Hedrick sought her out due to his own vision. Hedrick has also spoken of a prophecy, the coming of a Prince to the utter destruction of Faerûn. He mentions that "only blades of the flaming bird can win." It’s believed that the full prophecy was written down just under a century ago (in 1385 DR) found buried in one of the dark books of Candlekeep Library. Lorhn wants them to find the rest of the prophecy and decipher it's meaning. The ramblings of Hedrick leads them to believe that the part about the blades of the flaming bird is referring - specifically - to the PC's group, known regionally as "The Swords of the Phoenix". Further, Lorhn states that she feels it’s our duty to take on this threat - a threat from some demonic entity or evil deity that we must unlock. More clues can be gained by going to Candlekeep.

The Cast
Initially the campaign was supposed to have revolving DMs so we all got a turn playing - but it's mostly been me so the group agreed that I could have a DMPC to share along in the adventure. Note: Not all the PCs remained human when we were 'ported through. It's believed that the type of magic used to break the barrier drew from the deepest parts of our DNA and genetic make-up, which called to some of their basic elements and expanded upon them extensively. And, honestly, with items and magic in the Realms that can change your alignment, sex, and race (like Reincarnate), I didn't think this was a big stretch:

Sir Marcus, Justicar Human Paladin 11 of Torm
Sir Pete, Morninglord Human Cleric 11 of Lathander (and also gives nods to Amaunator)
Gimmlind, Warsmith Shield Dwarf Fighter 11
Rhiannon, Berserker Half-elf Barbarian 8
Thomas, Druid of the Woodland Realm Wood Elf Druid 8
Arthur Human Wizard 9
Mykal TBA (just announced that he wants to join, so he's going to the arduous process of finding out his race/class)

Reoccuring Cast/NPCs
Megan, Enchantress of Waterdeep Sun Elf Wizard 10
Mac, Battlerager Shield Dwarf Barbarian 10
Laeshic, Assassin Half-elf Rogue 3/ Monk 7, Group leader
Darkmore, Life-Stealer Human Warlock 4/ Wizard 6
Karl Human Ranger 10

The Prophecy
Hedrick's visions gave him a glimpse into some elements of the prophecy, namely some fragments and names and potential location. Should, or more likely when, the PCs locate the Prophecy in Candlekeep, it reads as follows:

"The Maimed God bound, his one-eye weeping. Almost drained, his essence seeping. Power flows to the Princes' wand. A powerful link to this bond.

The Putrid Prince prepares for war, raising up his loyal hordes.
To win the day, gather your might. For the blades of the flaming bird will fight.

The battle won, but the war’s eternal. To free justice, travel to planes Infernal. The tower of night, where the Nexus resides, You’ll find the fallen, hidden in disguise.

Tarry not, and break the chain. Use the sword of Guardian’s domain.
Least the hope for Faerûn be slain.”

Once the prophecy is fully known, they'll have to deduce some of what its meaning is. Here's some things that they can discover with appropriate Ability score / Skill checks (namely History, Religion, and Arcana).

- The Maimed God (DC 15 Religion): It’s believed that this is in reference to the dead Tyr, as that was one of his monikers. Further, since an old priest of his seems to be targeted, it gives this idea more credence.

- An evil creature uses a skull tipped wand (DC 15 Arcana, History; DC 20 Religion) possibly refers to a demon or Demon Lord that uses a Wand. Quite possibly Orcus).

- The creature is putrid and is able to raise hordes (DC 10 Arcana, History; DC 15 Religion) makes it very likely that it's Orcus.

- The creature is located somewhere on the Infernal planes, the Nine-Hells. No check necessary.

- The Tower of Night and the Nexus (DC 18 Arcana, Religion) possibly connected to the Raven Queen in some fashion.

- The sword to break the chain refers to some sort of Guardian. No check necessary.

Part 2: The goals of Orcus and how we got here.....
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 22 Jan 2022 : 17:59:09
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

First, let me start by saying I'm only to your Chapter 1 so far, but I have to write some of what's in my head first before the ideas go away

I like your overall plotline, and I can't help thinking to myself "what would I do differently". Secondly, I notice that this involves a lot of gods that just aren't really around in Faerun at the time in question. In essence, your plotline resembles in many ways some of the concepts I've proposed for "what was going on in Abeir?". I fully get that you probably won't want to do this, but hear me out. It might work for you.

Some of what this campaign is aiming for is to make the transition between the 4E plot/timeline to the 5E one make some sense in terms of deities and how they came back. We know that Tyr, Helm, and the Dead Three arrived back on Toril (along with a bunch of others like Lathander) after the ending of the Spellplague and the Sundering. While I want to bring them back, I don't fully appreciate the effects the Sundering had. For one, I liked parts of Abeir better (Tymanther, Akanûl, Laerakond, etc) and second I'd love to have an in-game reason why Tyr came back. Since one PC is a devoted one of Lathander, maybe he'll be instrumental in diving why Lath returns and is separate than Amaunator as well. Some of that is important here, it's more of a side effect of their main quest of stopping Orcus.

quote:

So, what if the reason YOUR party must be involved is that they have to go to Abeir to recover some artifacts that went THERE. Why them? Because THEY were affected by the blue fire and trapped in a mirror portal during the spellplague. So, they were "mid-traversal" when dweomerheart separated from the realms and "attached itself to Abeir" instead, along with several other divine domains. So, for some reason that they didn't realize, they're now "keyed" to the mirror, which is "keyed" to dweomerheart, and "locked" to a corresponding place in Abeir. Only they can use this mirror.

An interesting twist. I do like that.

quote:

So, then the party finds out that the "dead" gods... Lathander, Tyr, the true Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul, Savras, Leira, Deneir, Mask, Talos, Helm, the dwarven gods that died, Kiaransalee, etc.... are all on Abeir in a ToT like Avatar form (cohabitating a body).

Meanwhile, we know Graz'zt was active in Abeir and involved with Gilgeam..... who says Orcus isn't as well?

So, maybe they have to go to Abeir, receive a mission that they then have to do on the Toril side, and the point is that they can go back and forth. So, for instance, they have to get the Blood of Lathander and bring it to his holy place on Toril. Doing so creates a connection for Lathander back to Toril and empowers him again, etc.... Essentially, the party becomes this part of the Second Sundering.

Meanwhile, some of the artifacts required may just as well be in Abeir as well, and it would allow you to put your own spin on having the party explore other parts of the world as they stand in Abeir.

If you considered doing this, you might consider using some DM's Guild products, for instance, having Lathander in the role of "Intiri" the sun god of Lopango (he absolutely would fit, even to the point of wearing a feathered mantle). Thus the players find out that their gods are present in other parts of the world under other names.

Also, given that dream magic is much stronger in Abeir, you can play up that since this is some weird dream prophecy.

In doing this, you can use those same divine artifacts you were looking to use, just maybe in a slightly different way. They're being used to empower the gods, and maybe Orcus has entrapped some of those gods in their lesser avatar forms and is trying to extract their "divine spark".

Also, just to note, the mirror that's acting as a portal for your players between Abeir and Toril. It may be anchored to a specific place on each side, but the TIME might be different on each side. So for instance, its 1484 on the Toril side, but the players are appearing in Abeir and its right after the spellplague. If they don't help the gods rise up, all those people in Abeir will be overwhelmed by the dragon overlords. Then, when the second sundering happens, the party finds out that they've saved millions of people, because what they did helped the gods ascend.... and because they ascended the people got magic while in Abeir. They can then hear these grand stories that you make up about Lathander showing up to take on a red dragon and defend a village of Metahel (in his aspect as Faerthandir the metahel god of the sun, etc....), or how they gave magic to their priest who never wavered in his worship, and he got it JUST IN TIME to save his village.

When you say Abeir, you're meaning the parts of Faerûn that switched over there: Maztica, Unther, Mulhorand, etc. correct?

Glad you like the mirror idea. On the regions in Abeir.. yes, I'm specifically thinking of areas of Abeir that were FROM Toril. Part of this idea would be to have it be found that the gods of some of these areas may be "aspects" of Faerunian gods, and you can explore these other continents. For instance, check out my Metahel Pantheon of Anchorome on DM's Guild. Pretty much all those gods are faerunian gods that "went away" during the spellplague, while ALSO being a post-Ragnarok Norse pantheon as well. So, maybe Lathander is Faerthandir in the metahel pantheon, and the player finds out his gods has been stuck in Abeir. Tyr becomes Anachtar, Keeper of Blood Oaths. Helm becomes Hemdahl the guardian of the rainbow staircase.

You then transition the party back and forth between Toril and Abeir on little missions. Maybe they have to go rescue some of the gods from where they're being held (in lesser avatar form). Maybe they have to acquire some divine artifact so that the god can sacrifice it to re-empower themselves, etc... Meanwhile, Orcus' people are seeking out the same things AND trying to capture gods to sacrifice them. Just throwing out this general idea to you, because it could be fun for the party to like meet the various gods without them being "overwhelming". They might even find out that the Velsharoon that was killed in Toril wasn't Velsharoon (it was Mellifleur trying to retake his position). The ship of the gods island may serve as some place where the gods artifacts might need to be brought (as well as Tehwaca , the city of the gods, in Maztica), and the island might be surrounded by Skriaxits controlled by Talos (extra points if you find the divine artifact that destroyed by Skriaxits surrounding them for a century).
Diffan Posted - 22 Jan 2022 : 12:57:30
quote:

First, let me start by saying I'm only to your Chapter 1 so far, but I have to write some of what's in my head first before the ideas go away

I like your overall plotline, and I can't help thinking to myself "what would I do differently". Secondly, I notice that this involves a lot of gods that just aren't really around in Faerun at the time in question. In essence, your plotline resembles in many ways some of the concepts I've proposed for "what was going on in Abeir?". I fully get that you probably won't want to do this, but hear me out. It might work for you.

Some of what this campaign is aiming for is to make the transition between the 4E plot/timeline to the 5E one make some sense in terms of deities and how they came back. We know that Tyr, Helm, and the Dead Three arrived back on Toril (along with a bunch of others like Lathander) after the ending of the Spellplague and the Sundering. While I want to bring them back, I don't fully appreciate the effects the Sundering had. For one, I liked parts of Abeir better (Tymanther, Akanûl, Laerakond, etc) and second I'd love to have an in-game reason why Tyr came back. Since one PC is a devoted one of Lathander, maybe he'll be instrumental in diving why Lath returns and is separate than Amaunator as well. Some of that is important here, it's more of a side effect of their main quest of stopping Orcus.

quote:

So, what if the reason YOUR party must be involved is that they have to go to Abeir to recover some artifacts that went THERE. Why them? Because THEY were affected by the blue fire and trapped in a mirror portal during the spellplague. So, they were "mid-traversal" when dweomerheart separated from the realms and "attached itself to Abeir" instead, along with several other divine domains. So, for some reason that they didn't realize, they're now "keyed" to the mirror, which is "keyed" to dweomerheart, and "locked" to a corresponding place in Abeir. Only they can use this mirror.

An interesting twist. I do like that.

quote:

So, then the party finds out that the "dead" gods... Lathander, Tyr, the true Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul, Savras, Leira, Deneir, Mask, Talos, Helm, the dwarven gods that died, Kiaransalee, etc.... are all on Abeir in a ToT like Avatar form (cohabitating a body).

Meanwhile, we know Graz'zt was active in Abeir and involved with Gilgeam..... who says Orcus isn't as well?

So, maybe they have to go to Abeir, receive a mission that they then have to do on the Toril side, and the point is that they can go back and forth. So, for instance, they have to get the Blood of Lathander and bring it to his holy place on Toril. Doing so creates a connection for Lathander back to Toril and empowers him again, etc.... Essentially, the party becomes this part of the Second Sundering.

Meanwhile, some of the artifacts required may just as well be in Abeir as well, and it would allow you to put your own spin on having the party explore other parts of the world as they stand in Abeir.

If you considered doing this, you might consider using some DM's Guild products, for instance, having Lathander in the role of "Intiri" the sun god of Lopango (he absolutely would fit, even to the point of wearing a feathered mantle). Thus the players find out that their gods are present in other parts of the world under other names.

Also, given that dream magic is much stronger in Abeir, you can play up that since this is some weird dream prophecy.

In doing this, you can use those same divine artifacts you were looking to use, just maybe in a slightly different way. They're being used to empower the gods, and maybe Orcus has entrapped some of those gods in their lesser avatar forms and is trying to extract their "divine spark".

Also, just to note, the mirror that's acting as a portal for your players between Abeir and Toril. It may be anchored to a specific place on each side, but the TIME might be different on each side. So for instance, its 1484 on the Toril side, but the players are appearing in Abeir and its right after the spellplague. If they don't help the gods rise up, all those people in Abeir will be overwhelmed by the dragon overlords. Then, when the second sundering happens, the party finds out that they've saved millions of people, because what they did helped the gods ascend.... and because they ascended the people got magic while in Abeir. They can then hear these grand stories that you make up about Lathander showing up to take on a red dragon and defend a village of Metahel (in his aspect as Faerthandir the metahel god of the sun, etc....), or how they gave magic to their priest who never wavered in his worship, and he got it JUST IN TIME to save his village.

When you say Abeir, you're meaning the parts of Faerûn that switched over there: Maztica, Unther, Mulhorand, etc. correct?
sleyvas Posted - 18 Jan 2022 : 19:44:51

Diffan Posted - 18 Jan 2022 : 15:36:20
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

With regard to Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul; I'd like to propose this: in the Elder Scrolls, there's this thing called 'mantling'. In layman's terms, it's basically making the universe think you're indistinguishable - or a close enough approximate - of a being you're trying to emulate, taking up that being's role and eventually reaching apotheosis: " walk like them until they must walk like you".

Maybe that's what "Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul" are doing; they're not the real Dead Three, but they're walking on the same path, emulating the same legendary feats, and eventually planning on the universe recognizing them as the actual Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul.

I like this idea. So they'd be like high-level people of certain powers that have gained prominence on the surface of Toril. How they got this, well maybe they have an item or some such that gives them enough juice to do miraculous things to help people believe that they're the "dead three". An interesting take.
LordofBones Posted - 15 Jan 2022 : 15:43:29
With regard to Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul; I'd like to propose this: in the Elder Scrolls, there's this thing called 'mantling'. In layman's terms, it's basically making the universe think you're indistinguishable - or a close enough approximate - of a being you're trying to emulate, taking up that being's role and eventually reaching apotheosis: " walk like them until they must walk like you".

Maybe that's what "Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul" are doing; they're not the real Dead Three, but they're walking on the same path, emulating the same legendary feats, and eventually planning on the universe recognizing them as the actual Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul.
Diffan Posted - 13 Jan 2022 : 16:59:20
Chapter 5: This chapter sees the PCs possibly hurt, defeated, and small by Orcus’s comparison. Whether or not the Nightwalker is successful, they’ll likely be drained and beleaguered from the battle. They’ll need to find a place to recharge and determine what items they’ll need to successfully defeat the Nightwalker and Orcus, as well as his minions. They know, by this point, that Orcus has a lair in another demi-plane, one which the Raven Queen knows as well as where Tyr is imprisoned. The PCs will need to call in some favors and help locate the remaining items needed to defeat the monsters of the Abyss: Armor, Weapons, Spells, etc. Items, by this point, they’ll have had access to retrieve.

By this point of the campaign, the higher level PCs should be 13th or 14th level while the lower level ones are approximately 11th. Retrieving the items below (ones they haven't gotten yet) will be difficult in their own right - but worth it in the end if they want to defeat the Demon Lord. The items that I'll have them quest for (and by that I mean research know whereabouts to locate). Yes, this is sort of going into Monte-Haul, but with Orcus being a Challenge 26....I think they'll need ALL the help they can get. These short adventures will also help push them up to the levels where they'll need to be.

Items they already have in their possessions:
      - Shield of Praetor
      - Void Blade (taken from Dakkon on Dominaria).
      - The Invulnerable Coat of Arnd (used by Dakkon)
      - Blood of Lathander (if the Nightwalker didn’t get them, found in Durlag’s Tower)
      - Loyalty’s Sacrifice (found when they met up with Shadowbane and dealt with the Eye of Justice)
      - Vindicator (used by Shadowbane, but he can be summoned to aid them when the time is right)
      - Robe of the Archmagi (found in Durlag’s Tower)
      - Shadow Dragon scales (used for various purposes).
      - Armor of Invulnerability (gifted to the PCs for rescuing the Angel if she was't killed)

Items that might have cropped up but they can research and discover:
      - Axe of the Dwarven Lords (found if or when the PCs go to Neverwinter) in Gauntlgrym.
      - Staff of the Magi (possibly in Undermountain? They can ask Laeral when they speak to her about the Crown)
      - Staff of the Woodlands (in an adult Green Dragon’s horde in the Vilhon Wilds, ruined city of Reth). The Dragon is venerated by the Ivory Thorn, evil splinter group of the Emerald Enclave).
      - Carsomyr (found on the dead body of one Keldorn Firecam in the Shadowfell)
      - Eye of Tyr (found on Tyr’s body, given freely from his own socket)

They’ll need to then traverse to the Shadowfell - possibly with the aid of Volo’s previous guide to Gloomwrought and Beyond. From that port of safety (relatively speaking) they can find the next portal to Latherna. They’ll need to traverse the Dead Plane - a mirror world of Nentir Vale (my homeworld) - where they’ll find Orcus’s lair. Now, his lair effects aren’t fully in place because he’s only semi-established here. The effects will be a lot less and not as hard to overcome. Still, it’s where Tyr is imprisoned and where Orcus wants to perform the ritual to rise to Divinity.

The PCs need to just distract Orcus while someone breaks the Chains that has Tyr bound. This will require 1) The Blood of Lathander in its liquid form to pour on the hurt deity. This represents a sense of renewal and rebirth - a baptism if you will. 2) The Celestial Feather pressed against his skin where the Blood touches. This represents a connection to Celestia and the mighty Heavens, 3) Vindicator to shatter the bonds. This represents Helm’s acceptance and apology from Tyr, who is still heartbroken with grief of killing his friend. Once all three are completed, someone must convince the deity to come back with them and aid the mortal realm of Faerûn again (DC 18 Persuasion check). If unsuccessful the first time, PCs can try again but each time thereafter the DC increases by 1. Should a PC die in the attempt to rescue Tyr, he will immediately act (if the bonds are broken) and ascend to the Heavens, spoiling Orcus’s plans.

Should Orcus receive more than ¾ damage from the PCs harassing, regardless of Tyr’s fate, he will retreat back to the Nine Hells and to his home plane where he will begin preparations to either invade Faerûn with his undead masses OR - barring their destruction - retreat to heal and plan again. The PCs can (and should) push forth to the Demon Lord’s realm to eliminate the beast one and for all.
Diffan Posted - 13 Jan 2022 : 16:41:39
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

You could expand that to say that Bane was the only one of the three to come back, but he's found someone to claim to be Myrkul and Bhaal, promising to raise them to godhood once he gets his own back.

(It could even be that none of them are the originals, and all are opportunistic impostors, mayhaps helped or manipulated by another power)

That's an interesting line of thought. In this scenario. what would've happened to the 3.5/4e Bane then? Bhaal I like coming back and it's Canon in my Realms as I accounted for the Bhaalspawn Adventures in Murder In Baldur's Gate. OR maybe it's that Bhaal is JUST a Bhaalspawn and needs more to achieve more followers to go back to his original status?

Well, there was a lot of evidence in the latter part of 2E and all through 3E that indicated that Xvim was pretending to be Bane*, and I've long liked that idea -- which is another part of the reason I've a serious issue with 5E's vague handwave of "all the gods are back!"

I'm not all that knowledgeable about Xvim as a whole. I read a ton of novels up through the Avatar trilogy where Bane and Torm fight over Tantras. After that, I took a Hiatus until 3e when Bane "returned", so the whole Ahh-Choo Xvim guy was pretty much a blip on my radar as a deity of pretty much no significance. It's an interesting idea, I'm just not sure I have enough info on Xvim for him to be this poignant in my campaign.

quote:

But building on what you said, there -- if Bhaal is trying to get back to full strength and isn't there yet, then maybe the Bane and Myrkul avatars are imposters and Bhaal is the only real power.

If you go with the Xvim really being Bane idea, then he's not going to be happy with someone else around claiming he's really Bane. It doesn't matter if avatar Bane is the real deal or some random schmuck who was promised divinity -- if Xvim has claimed the name, he can't let this other Bane run around for too long. So he's going to be acting to neutralize this other Bane, in some way.

*So as not to derail this discussion, you can see my list of reasons in this thread

It gives me some ideas to work with, if anything there's more angles that other factors will be putting forth to stop/hinder Orcus from obtaining Godhood and even usurping his power at the right time.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Jan 2022 : 02:53:27
quote:

quote:

You could expand that to say that Bane was the only one of the three to come back, but he's found someone to claim to be Myrkul and Bhaal, promising to raise them to godhood once he gets his own back.

(It could even be that none of them are the originals, and all are opportunistic impostors, mayhaps helped or manipulated by another power)

That's an interesting line of thought. In this scenario. what would've happened to the 3.5/4e Bane then? Bhaal I like coming back and it's Canon in my Realms as I accounted for the Bhaalspawn Adventures in Murder In Baldur's Gate. OR maybe it's that Bhaal is JUST a Bhaalspawn and needs more to achieve more followers to go back to his original status?

Well, there was a lot of evidence in the latter part of 2E and all through 3E that indicated that Xvim was pretending to be Bane*, and I've long liked that idea -- which is another part of the reason I've a serious issue with 5E's vague handwave of "all the gods are back!"

But building on what you said, there -- if Bhaal is trying to get back to full strength and isn't there yet, then maybe the Bane and Myrkul avatars are imposters and Bhaal is the only real power.

If you go with the Xvim really being Bane idea, then he's not going to be happy with someone else around claiming he's really Bane. It doesn't matter if avatar Bane is the real deal or some random schmuck who was promised divinity -- if Xvim has claimed the name, he can't let this other Bane run around for too long. So he's going to be acting to neutralize this other Bane, in some way.

*So as not to derail this discussion, you can see my list of reasons in this thread
Diffan Posted - 08 Jan 2022 : 18:35:49
quote:

quote:

quote:

I just read through all of this... Some really good stuff you've got, here.

I do have a quibble, though: I don't like the part about Myrkul wanting his godhood back. In 2E it was canon that he was enjoying not being a god, and as I've oft stated, I think he's got more potential, that way.

I feel you there and agree. I'm trying to figure out a bridge between the idea that he's fine with being in the Crown and 5th Edition's change that he gave up his "God-hood" to have a more immediate hand with Mortals like Bane has. I'm not entirely sure what that looks like, but I don't think he can easily achieve that goal stuck in the Crown. So I needed some reason to have him 'walk' among the Mortals again.

I find the idea of the formerly Dead Three giving up full divinity to walk among mortals to be particularly problematic -- especially for Bane... Thus, I have concluded that this story is pure PR on the part of Bane and his priests. He doesn't want to admit to weakness, so he's claiming it was his choice -- when what actually happened was that Ao brought the three back as avatars, and nothing more, and told them if they want to become full deities again that they have to earn it.

For Bane, absolutely. It doesn't make much sense to me that the main god of Tyranny would give up any power gained, especially dealing with his reemergence in 1372 DR and then having a significant stronghold of power for the next century (Bane got pretty powerful over 4E's run) and even elevated his most trusted servant - Fzoul - to a Demi-God status. Now he....just sort of gives that up to have a more "direct" influence among his people? And, to be honest, how many of his servants would want to usurp him and take over? That's sort of the whole point - Right by Might and take as much as you can get power-wise. It just puts a huge bullseye on his back IMO.

Now, for Myrkul I can sort of understand it a bit better. Here's a guy who really doesn't want any sort of lip-service from the masses. He never struck me as someone who enjoyed divinity or the power that comes with it. Heck, that's why he's been lurking in that crown of his for a couple of centuries - to better and more easily influence people on Faerûn. If anything, it plays to his favor since he's already spent a significant time on Faerûn as a non/quasi-deity.

I do like the idea that it's all propaganda to lessen the blow of Ao's decree. Why were they pushed to Avatar form? What did all three of them do....AGAIN? How

quote:

quote:

Obviously, I'm biased towards the idea, but I think it's far more workable -- and gives more potential for hooks and adventures -- than what WotC gave us.

It definitely does. However I have some time to mull on it as Myrkul dessn't really show up for a while now.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jan 2022 : 21:06:42
quote:

quote:

I do have a quibble, though: I don't like the part about Myrkul wanting his godhood back. In 2E it was canon that he was enjoying not being a god, and as I've oft stated, I think he's got more potential, that way.

I feel you there and agree. I'm trying to figure out a bridge between the idea that he's fine with being in the Crown and 5th Edition's change that he gave up his "God-hood" to have a more immediate hand with Mortals like Bane has. I'm not entirely sure what that looks like, but I don't think he can easily achieve that goal stuck in the Crown. So I needed some reason to have him 'walk' among the Mortals again.

I find the idea of the formerly Dead Three giving up full divinity to walk among mortals to be particularly problematic -- especially for Bane... Thus, I have concluded that this story is pure PR on the part of Bane and his priests. He doesn't want to admit to weakness, so he's claiming it was his choice -- when what actually happened was that Ao brought the three back as avatars, and nothing more, and told them if they want to become full deities again that they have to earn it.

(It could even be that none of them are the originals, and all are opportunistic imposters, mayhaps helped or manipulated by another power)

Obviously, I'm biased towards the idea, but I think it's far more workable -- and gives more potential for hooks and adventures -- than what WotC gave us.
Diffan Posted - 07 Jan 2022 : 10:05:02
I just realized that I can share with you guys the items I've made for this adventure via Imgur. So I'll post the item below and you can check them out if you like:

Blood of Lathander

Carsomyr, the Holy Avenger and The Eye of Tyr

Loyalty's Sacrifice

Items of Durlag's Tower
Diffan Posted - 07 Jan 2022 : 09:44:18
Chapter 4: After the events of Durlag’s Tower, it's likely they know that Hedrick is working for Orcus (if he hasn't already been figured out by now), as he is present in every incident in which the Undead have interrupted the group's plans and seems to know just as much or more than they do. If they’ve gone to Waterdeep, they’ll likely know about this Shadowbane and know that the sword he wields - Vindicator - is the key to helping break Tyr free. Finding the vigilante is much harder than anticipated and they’ll likely be thrown into a situation with the guilds of Westgate - their vampire spawn and the Eye of Justice (which secretly holds the artifact Loyalty’s Sacrifice). As they delve into this quagmire of a plot, another minion of Orcus is trying to locate Shadowbane too. A highly paid and terrifying mercenary called Dakkon. Dakkon is here to put an end to Shadowbane and retrieve Vindicator to either hide or destroy it.

In addition to getting Shadowbane to work with you and finding the artifact gauntlet of Torm [Loyalty's Sacrifice], they’ll confront this warrior. Dakkon will not fight til the death and will retreat to a portal-stone in the cellar of an abandoned warehouse, using it to go to his home plane - a place called Dominaria. This killer is none other than THE Dakkon Blackblade. They’ll need to confront this grizzly warrior on his home turf, along with his Hurloon Minotaur mercenaries if they're to put a stop to this threat. Paying him more than he's contracted won't do any good at this point, as he'll see it as a matter of pride to "finish the job". Dakkon is the proud wielder of a strong weapon called The Void Blade and the reason he took the Surname Blackblade.

Once they've achieved the Void Blade, they’ll make their way back to Faer#151;ûn where they’ll get a visit from Orcus's strongest minon, a Nightwalker, to retrieve the items the PCs have acquired. The creature is pure evil, however only wants the items and has no intention of sticking around and toying with Orcus’s playthings. He knows the location (down to the person who carries it) and will use his +12 to-hit and Grapple the target (the creature takes half the normal effect of his Enervating Touch). The target and the Nightwalker then do a Strength Contest. Should the Nightwalker win, he retrieves the item then drops the victim (1 round action). He needs to take the Feather and the Blood. Once obtained, he’ll Shadow-veil out and to Orcus’s demi-plane.
Diffan Posted - 07 Jan 2022 : 09:31:30
quote:

quote:

It might be fun if Myrkul has some beef against Orcus, and he was trying to make sure Orcus failed. Maybe, as a deity, Myrkul lost a particularly favored follower to Orcus, and he's been looking for an opportunity to take Orcus down a notch since then. Going this way, Myrkul might be acting behind the scenes to help the PCs, though his help may not be something the PCs want. Myrkul wouldn't give an osquip's behind about Tyr, though, and would happily see him dead -- in fact, maybe Myrkul's "assistance" to the PCs would, unbeknownst to them, slay Tyr but raise him as some unique and exceedingly powerful undead.

Ultimately I do want to give the PCs the opportunity to restore Tyr, but the idea that Myrkul could essentially "kill" two birds with one stone in a sinister way does sound like something he'd gleefully do. I'll have to marinate on that idea. I'd think that Myrkul wouldn't want Orcus taking over that portfolio and gaining a ton of Necromancer worshipers (he doesn't really want them either, but I could see him being vindictive - just cuz') so it definitely makes sense that he'd try to thwart Orcus's attempts at gaining God-hood. This aid could come from the help of the Shades who want to restore Myrkul.

Also, I think there's something to be said for the Blood War and the constant Battle between Demon and Devil that can be played out here. So having the PCs possibly require attracting allies like Devils to hurt Orcus throw some shades of grey in there - especially with a Cleric of Lathander and Paladin of Torm (which would almost instantly reject the notion). Enemy of my enemy is....tolerable?

quote:

I do like a lot of what's here, though -- there's obviously been a lot of thought into pulling all these elements together.

Thanks! I've got some more written up too. One of the fun parts so far has been taking elements from previous editions and then weaving them into this campaign. When I started this campaign so many years ago I definitely had the notion of going to haunts from some of the popular video games - so hitting up Durlag's Tower is going to be a blast. One of the others in my group that's played through Baldur's Gate just said "all the traps...." with a groan - making me smile all the more .

Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 22:36:32

It might be fun if Myrkul has some beef against Orcus, and he was trying to make sure Orcus failed. Maybe, as a deity, Myrkul lost a particularly favored follower to Orcus, and he's been looking for an opportunity to take Orcus down a notch since then. Going this way, Myrkul might be acting behind the scenes to help the PCs, though his help may not be something the PCs want. Myrkul wouldn't give an osquip's behind about Tyr, though, and would happily see him dead -- in fact, maybe Myrkul's "assistance" to the PCs would, unbeknownst to them, slay Tyr but raise him as some unique and exceedingly powerful undead.

I do like a lot of what's here, though -- there's obviously been a lot of thought into pulling all these elements together.
Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 21:24:21
quote:

You know, I can't even see the name Orcus any more without it bringing to mind that guy on the WotC forums that created three new "Orcus rules!" topics every week.

Oh wow I do remember that guy. Man that brings me back to the good ol' Gleemax days of the WotC-boards. Good (and sometimes bad) times, lol. I got in a quite a few good debates with Lord_Karsus over there haha.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 18:26:14
You know, I can't even see the name Orcus any more without it bringing to mind that guy on the WotC forums that created three new "Orcus rules!" topics every week.
Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 16:56:56
Chapter 3: After the events of the Celestial Temple, whether the PCs were successful in getting the feather or not, they have a decision to make: gain the second piece of the ritual - Blood of Lathander in the heart of Durlag’s Tower or go after the Shadowbane and Vindicator.

The question is: does it or should it matter in which order they push on? I don't want to rail-road this anymore than it already is [and I feel this is very rail-road-y] so I want them to have lots of options in terms of where they go, what they do. IF they decide to go after the Blood of Lathander then this is what'll occur. I"m also open to suggestions on changing things up.

It might be beneficial for them to strike out from Beregost to Ulcaster’s Ruins. Here they can speak with the ghost of Ulcaster and attempt to retrieve his items from his old school’s basement (see Ulcaster’s Dungeon, Baldur’s Gate game) and receive a total of 1,000 XP. Further searching will reveal the beast Icharyd, a Skeletal Undead horror who was killed when Ulcaster’s school collapsed. Should the PCs delve into the school’s dungeon, they will find the following items: Dagger +1, wand of fire, magic arrows [acid, ice, piercing, biting] plus multiple potions [genius, strength, healing x4, absorption, hill Giant Str] and gems [skydrop gem, zircon gem, chrysoberyl gem].

After plundering the dungeon of Ulcaster’s school and retrieving the book for Ulcaster, the PCs can now proceed to Durlag’s Tower. This will look in appearance similar to the video game - but will use the adventure found on-line. It will, however, have several items and monsters that are ascribed to it in the Video Game. As well as some NPCs found within (such as the succubus and human and the Demon Knight - which is just a mage in Demon Knight armor casting spells). In terms of the Succubus, she can be bargained with or slain outright. The PCs should think carefully about possibly exploiting her. If she admits to working for or will work for Asmodeus, they might convince her of Orcus’s plot to become a god and that devils wouldn’t like that. Help to fuel the blood war.

DURLAG’S TOWER
This area is the big Chapter incident in which they will take on the events of Durlag’s Tower DDAL05-08 and Durlag’s Tomb DDAL05-09 adventures. While the initial adventure ties into Storm King's Thunder, this will feature the desires of a Death Giant to serve Orcus and be the big BBEG of this chapter. This is where the adventure is run pretty much as-is, use traps and monsters from the game where appropriate. Should the enemies succeed, they’ll have acquired the Blood of Lathander. Should the PCs get the gems, Orcus will send his minions to retrieve them AND the celestial feather. It’s here that the group will also find a robe of the archmagi.
Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 16:48:05
Chapter 2: After acquiring the parts of information about the prophecy (that it’s about Tyr, that the Putrid Prince is Orcus, and that his plot is to absorb the remaining elements of Tyr to gain divinity) they need to find the items he needs to complete the ritual before Orcus does. In order, it’s the Celestial feather by Sembia - in the Temple of Resounding Justice. More information about this location and it's history can be found in the supplement Champions of Valor. Unfortunately this keep is being manned (protected) by agents of Netheril as an outpost. One among them is an agent of the Crown [those who've sworn allegiance to Myrkul over the Princes of Shade], but this allegiance would ultimately get him killed by his fellow Shades. His name is Leevoth (yes, the same one in the back of the FRCS). The PCs will need to first get into Sembia undetected - possibly by going through Cormanthyr (this can lead to a few adventures from Lost Tales of Myth Drannor for their aid) and into Sembia. Once inside, they’ll need to figure out how to rid the camp of Shades and either destroy the celestial statue or revive her in order for her to ascend to the Heavens.

The PCs plans at the Celestial Temple will attempted to be thwarted by the Shade under the Crown’s influence and some undead horrors brought up by him with Orcus’s power. The Shade has an ally on the outside of the temple, a Shambling Lord (CR 10) that has a growing horde of zombies (CR 3) on the outskirts of the keep. Leevoth has a Veserab that he rides but won’t do anything to aid his Shade allies in the event the PCs raid the shrine. He’ll wait until his people soften them up then kill them AND change the angel into flesh again to obtain the Feather. Should the PCs prevail in defeating the Shambling Lord and his minions, Leevoth will still use the ritual to turn her to flesh and steal a single feather (Strength contest). Should the PCs stop him, they’ll have the Celestial’s thanks and she’ll gift them with her Armor of Invulnerability and a weapon divined of the PC’s choice. Can be a martial or simple weapon of uncommon or rare quality (up to a +2). Then she'll depart for Mount Celestia.

- The second item is the Blood of Lathander in the basement of Durlag’s Tower.

- The third item is the Crown of Horns, currently in Netheril’s grasp.

Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 16:24:41
So this is how the adventure is supposed to pan out but I'm open to suggestions and things that will help shore it up and make it better.

Chapter 1: The PCs are tasked by various high-ranking officials from Baldur’s Gate, Waterdeep, and Neverwinter to seek out a dire prophecy (as described above). They’re tasked specifically due to the wording of the Prophecy, in which the phrase “Blades of the Flaming Bird will fight.” Since the group’s name is Swords of the Phoenix, one can deduce this is about them. Once they receive the prophecy, they’ll need to determine how much they can translate and where they might find more information on it. This is where their choices will push them into uncertain directions. As listed in Notable Locations, they can attempt to go to multiple locations such as Candlekeep, Waterdeep, and the Snowflake Mountains [The Spirit Soaring] for more information to be sure about the true wording of the prophecy.

Additionally, they’ll need to determine which magic items they’ll want to pursue and how/where to get them. Depending on the item they need, the difficulty will vary greatly - from definitely possible and possibly easy to ….well they might want to wait til their higher level.

- Getting into Candlekeep is difficult. Due to the extensive entry cost to get into the library, they are better off getting a book to add to their collection. They'll also meet Elminster at the gates here (though he won't divulge his identification) but give them some encouraging words. What they discover is a note about a book they can acquire close by, in a sunken crypt close to the coastal shore. Once there, they’ll have to encounter a Crypt Horror and drowned minions [7,400 XP] to get a book to get into Candlekeep.

Once inside, they can search for the items they need. In the meantime, they’ll quickly become involved with an adventure here. This is known as the Confrontation at Candlekeep. This adventure is adapted to this campaign by changing out Asmoedus’s plans for that of Orcus. The plot is that Orcus created a Foul ritual to change living beings directly into undead abominations without significant resources. This is because he wants a quick undead army to help his invasion plans and this spell will greatly help him. Unfortunately for Orcus, Mystra stole the spell and locked it away into Candlekeep. He’s aided by his Chosen of Orcus, a Young Black Dragon who aspires to become a Dracolich.

The PCs will be asked with aiding the defense of CK by performing the encounters of Area 1: Ghost Dragon Hall (switch out devils for: one Quasit [XP 200], one Bulezau [XP 700] and a Maurezhi [XP 2,900] = TOTAL 3,800 XP [Threshold 7,800].

The PCs will then be asked to aid in the clearing out of the Towers in Area 4: Leaning Tower. They’ll take on a Basilisk [XP 200] then take on a Mage [2,300 XP] and 4 Ghasts [1,800] = TOTAL 4,300 XP [Threshold 8,200].

The PCs will finally need help in the Shrine of Oghma. Here, they deal with Restov’s description (his stats are that of a Warlock of Orcus, 2,900 XP) and 5 Cult Fanatics that he’s smuggled in (2,250 XP) = TOTAL 5,150 XP [Threshold 10,300].

The Final Confrontation is with the Chosen of Orcus, a challengin young black dragon who’s characteristics have been taking on an undead appearance. A top the towers, the PCs have to fight off 2 Shadow Demons and 4 enhanced Skeletons = TOTAL 4,000 XP [Threshold 8,000].
Lastly, Valrun they'll need to kill too. TOTAL 3,900 XP.

The players have a good chance to get a portion of magic items here. Magic Items gained by the Players are as follows: Longsword of Hull the Hero (Longsword +1), Cloak of Protection, Bracers of Archery, +1 round shield, and Gauntlets of Ogre Power. This is in addition to what they can make from Valraun’s body.

Each player will receive an extra 500 XP for completing the adventure.

Next, the Players will travel to Waterdeep. The location of Waterdeep allows for a multitude of adventure avenues, but specifically in Downshadow to find out more about this mysterious figure: Shadowbane. They can speak to the people at Blackstaff tower to get a word with Larael about the Crown of Horns. Outside of that, they find out that there’s significant tension between Waterdeep and Neverwinter, despite Dagult Neverember - Open Lord of Waterdeep - being a leader of both cities. In terms of confrontations, I'm really out of ideas here. There can be street thugs or something like that but generally I don't have anything that really takes up a lot of time - again, open to suggestions on what to incorporate here.

- Neverwinter has some potential, much of which can be drawn directly from the MMO game - I guess? - in terms of quick adventures or concepts. For one, the PCs might be able to find more information about the Shadowfell and the Raven Queens previous realm. They can also find info about the Axe of the Dwarven Lords artifact here and delve into Gauntlgrym. Further, there’s reports about undead creatures in the southern lands. This plays into the quick adventure called: Storm Lord's Wrath.

From the south - Ularan Mortus, a priest of the god of death Myrkul, and his followers are raising an army of undead to lay siege to the city of Neverwinter. This is a result of the Crown of Horn’s being used to send out visions - one of which reached the spirit of the dead black dragon Chardansearavitriol, also known as Ebondeath. The PCs also get a call for help from Jesse, another Terran that was transported from Earth some time after the Initial PCs (he was a semi-known player back in the day). Since his arrival on Faerûn, he separated from the group and moved north in order to create a temple to Tymora in the frontier town of Leilon, south of Neverwinter. He’s asking us for aid in the incidents occurring there.

SEARCHING FOR CLUES

- While searching in these areas like Candlekeep, Waterdeep, etc. much of what they find will be determined by Intelligence checks. They’ll still find the answers, but it’ll be based on time instead of success or failure. The following DCs are described:
DC 5 (1d10 +3 hours)
DC 10 (1d8 +2 hours)
DC 15 (2 hours)
DC 20+ (1 hour)

While the PCs are searching for clues, Hedrick is left to his own devices as he is not seen as a threat. He most likely will go with the PCs to Candlekeep and possibly Waterdeep too in case he is needed to retell his visions or if he has new ones. Because of this freedom, he too is looking for any clues which could help his Master Orcus. If the PCs don’t find any info by six Hours (whether they're at CK or Waterdeep) Hedrick finds one piece of information that is useful to Orcus. Roll below to determine the piece:
1d6
- (1) The Chapel of Resounding Justice houses a Celestial cast in Stone
- (2) Orcus receives the full prophecy from Hedrick in the form of a message (ritual used by using a poor innocent's blood/body)
- (3) Orcus finds out that Vindicator is in Westgate, wielded by one called Shadowbane
- (4) Location of the Crown of Horns
- (5) Location of the Blood of Lathander
- (6) Reroll

Other Potential Adventuring Sites
- Zirkan’s Zephyrean Tome: This adventure is found when the PCs are searching for information on the Raven Queen’s previous home, planar travel, and info on the Nine Hells and who might be the Putrid Prince. The book - found in Candlekeep - has promise when it’s opened as the Djinn will grant them 1 wish spell. What the PCs do with that is largely up to the Djinn.

- Spawn of the Maimed Virulence: This adventure in Lost Tales of Myth Drannor is supposed to take place in 1487 DR, however it can be modified to fit this adventure by changing out the concept. With Myth Drannor and Netheril still fighting over the area, Coronal Isvele can’t fight dragons that seem to be sweeping through Cormanthyr forest. The PCs could find rumors that Draco-lichdom is being pushed upon these younger dragons in an attempt to get an army of the Undead. How they come about this information is still up in the air.

- The Dead of Chelimber: PCs, while investigating information in Candlekeep overhear troubling information (DC 10 Charisma) about creatures attacking areas outside the Marsh of Chelimber. The creatures were disease or infected Trolls with a strange mark on their skins (a blackened skull atop a rod) that have attacked the people around Hill’s Edge and Corm Orp. The Paladins of Elturel haven’t responded at all to the threats.
- DM NOTE: these creatures are Rot Trolls branded and created by a Necromancer in league with Orcus. Should they investigate, the PCs will initially fight off a band of them (3 Rot Trolls) then follow the virulent trail back to the edges of a marsh where they find a Necromancer performing a ritual to make lots of Rot Trolls.

The important part about this chapter is to help get them some magic items, experience, and set up the notion that Orcus's plans are spanning a significant area and affecting a lot of people and locations. They'll also find out the locations of the items Orcus needs and - to stop him - what they'll need to intercept.
Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 12:10:51
ANTICIPATE VILLAINS ACTIONS
Orcus knows that there will likely be agents of good and justice that will come calling. As Tyr’s divinity slowly fades, his last bouts of energy were used to send any sort of calling or warning of what impending doom is about to occur. Orcus was quick to quell the message but not before a few mortals received the call. Orcus now hopes those who might act are ill-equipped or not smart enough to figure it out. Still, countermeasures should still be taken.

Orcus has set out spies to find out what the mortals know of his plot. One such spy is Hedrick and once Hedrick has both the knowledge of the full Prophecy AND who’s being sent to thwart Orcus, he'll alert his master. He won’t, however, tip his hand until he feels he has enough information to make his master proud. Contacting Orcus requires 1 hour of rest/peace, a bowl of cadaver blood, and an array of drugs to be ingested. The drugs open up his mind to connection/possession and the blood is used as a conduit. If given the opportunity to contact Orcus - he will. Should the PCs suspect that he’s not genuine (DC 20 Wisdom [Insight]) check, he will instantly attack.

If the PCs should attempt to discover the necessary ingredients Orcus needs, he’ll have some minions waiting for them. He needed the minions to find the things necessary and kept them in place so no one else would look. So far, he simply has the info on where they’re stored, but not the pieces themselves.

He has spys and assassin looking for Vindicator and it’s wielder.
Should the PCs find any necessary ingredients, he’ll send his strongest minions to obtain them (a Vampire Lord, Necromancer, Wights, and Ghouls). If they’re able to obtain two pieces, then he’ll send his loyal minion Thrassis, the Skull Lord (MToF, p.230). If they find both items and weapons are obtained, then he’ll send his most loyal and destructive servant - a Nightwalker.

DETAIL KEY LOCATIONS
The key locations are often in specific regions, as determined by the PC’s current objective. Initially, they start out in Baldur’s Gate - in the Busty Wench tavern. From there, they will need to do some investigating at various locales in the Realms:

- Candlekeep Library: This location has much information on the prophecy, as well as some magic items (possible location of Carsomyr and the Blood of Lathander). They’ll also find info on the creature known as the Putrid Prince. To enter Candekeep, they’ll need to provide some expensive book, of which they won’t easily have access to. They receive an anonymous tip in the form a note. The note suggests a location nearby - a tomb - with a once written book called “Volo’s Guide to Gloomwrought, and Beyond”. This books is a gazetteer to this old Shadowfell city few know about. It was lost when Volo was running from the creature inhabiting the tomb - a Crypt Horror [CR 11] and 1d4 Drowned [CR ½].
*Note: This location was given to the PCs by Hedrick, who knew this was a place of worship for those of Orcus and it was him that provided the Ghoul with demon flesh.

- Blackstaff Tower, Waterdeep: This place is a venerable well-pool of knowledge, however the most significant piece of information comes from one of its occupants, Laeral Silverhand, once user and possessed of the Crown of Horns. She can gain more info about the prophecy as well as who might be behind it (she believes it’s Myrkul) as well as the known location of the Robe of the Archmagi (Persuasion DC 20).

- Ruins of the Spirit Soaring: Once known as the Edificant Library, the structure was constructed by then-priest Cadderly Bonaduce. It succumbed to the machinations of the Crystal Shard and was almost entirely destroyed by a possessed Dracolich, killing Cadderly in the process. He now haunts the old library, setting safeguards against evil abound. This place has info on the Celestial Feather, as well as the location of the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd and possibly, info on the Void Blade.

In between these locations, the PCs will need means of travel and in-turn, need to go from place to place either on foot or through the air as instant and easy teleportation simply isn’t a factor right now, so there will be many traveling scenes too.

Introduction and Climax
The introduction starts off in the Busty Wench, when the group is met by powerful people of varying cities along the Sword Coast. They’ve all had visions which were similar and portend some venerable doom for Faerûn that - due to some vision - the PC’s adventuring group is named. Both Sir Marcus and Pete’s religious orders are calling on them to serve in this matter. Others might need more prompting, such as gold - items of power - prestige, etc.

The Climax culminates with the group venturing into the Nine Hells, then to the Planar Nexus on the Raven Queens old home plane of Latherna. There, they’ll have to defeat a horde of undead to get to Orcus. Some will have to take on the Demon Lord face-to-face while others will be tasked with rescuing the chained deity Tyr. Orcus is immensely difficult with Tyr’s power flowing into him, but once/if Tyr is freed then a portion of Orcus power is diminished - especially since he’s not on his home plane. He’ll make a last ditch effort to flee if he’s reduced to less than 10% Hit Points. If he does, the PCs can rest knowing that it’ll be a LONG while before Orcus or his minions will be a problem on Faerûn. Still, they can push on towards killing him entirely (and then obtaining his Wand to destroy him forever) but taking him on his own World with ALL of the Lair effects in place will be much more difficult and he’ll have recovered a good portion of his health.
Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 11:59:31
IDENTIFYING IMPORTANT NPCs
This adventure has the PCs moving all over the world, important cities, important planes, etc. The following is a cast of NPCs they can interact with and some local information about them.

- Grand Duke Ulder Ravengard (LG Human Fighter), marshal of the Flaming Fist. He ascended to the title of Grand Duke when Abdel Adrian had perished in the Bhaal-spawn saga two years prior. He likely is involved to assess what sort of threat this prophecy has to Baldur’s Gate and the surrounding environs.

- Lorhn Dunster (NG Human Cleric of Lathander), is the high priestess of the church of Lathander in Waterdeep. She knows Pete fairly well and knows the exploits of the adventuring company. Her visions were first to appear and she is the one who’s spear-headed this prophecy and put an end to it.

- Everett Volahk (LN Human Cleric of Kelemvor), well versed in combating the Undead, his visions are truly troubling and means that his garrison at Neverdeath Graveyard was overrun. Initial suspicions were Valindra and her Lich consorts, however this has far wider implications than even she can conjure.

- Ashe Quinoth (N Half-elf Cleric of the Raven Queen), is fairly new to the City of Splendors - but nonetheless has a growing congregation as one of the off-shoot alcoves to the Sepulcher of Solace, temple to Kelemvor. Her visions are terrifying, conveying a sense of dread and fear that her deity is now sensing.

- Hedrick Cormaeril (CE Human Cultist of Orcus), is a distraught man once priest of the church of Tyr. He labored under the impression that Tyr was still alive and in need of rescuing. He searched magically for some sign of his god’s presence and when he found it, it was intercepted by Orcus. He was then possessed by the Demon Lord and renounced all ties to his former religion, wanting to be Orcus’s eyes and ears. It was Orcus that forced him to find the Prophecy. He was “caught” by Ashe and Lorhn and told them about his visions (things Orcus told him to say in order to keep them close). Once he has the full meaning of the prophecy, he will attempt to free himself to tell his master.

- Kalen Dren / Shadowbane (LN Spellscarred Human Paladin of Helm) - The wielder of Vindicator and vigilante that is scouring the landscape of Westgate. Once a part of the Eye of Justice, he is now at-odds with the Religious Organization and their fallen ways.

- Elminster Aumar (NG Chosen of Mystra Human Wizard 20) - The sage of Shadowdale, he knows the whereabouts of a few magical items that can aid the adventurers. Current whereabouts are unknown.
Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 11:51:55
SURPRISES
There’s quite a few surprises for the PCs to uncover and find. The first being that the being they’re fighting is actually Orcus. This they discover in Candlekeep after fidning the prophecy. Further, that Orcus and the Raven Queen have a long history and that he overran her previous homeworld to utter ruin and destruction.

The second surprise is that the spy for Orcus is the crazed old “priest of Tyr” and that he’s been spying on and giving info to Orcus’s allies for a long while. It was him that has really got the priestess Lorhn and the others together - to consolidate the enemies of Orcus to keep a better eye on them.

Another surprise for them is that the sword Vindicator holds the divine essence of the god, Helm. This they'll discover possibly later, as the hints from the Prophecy aren't all that well known yet.

Lastly, the Deity Myrkul is manipulating Orcus into attempting to put into plan to ascend to godhood with Myrkul riding the coat-tails. At the most precise moment, Myrkul will take all the power Orcus had consolidated for himself, kill the weak Demon Lord, and return to the world of Faerûn.

PLAYER CHARACTER HOOKS / PARTY’S GOAL
HOOK #1: The PCs want to acquire significant and powerful magic items as well as garner fame across the land!

HOOK #2: The PCs are encouraged to complete the missions and defeat this threat of the World, and especially for their respected faction / religion / ect.

The PCs need to figure out who’s ultimately behind the plot, how it works, and how to stop it. Steps to the plot:

Decipher the Prophecy. This can be done with various check to obtain clues. Once the PCs determine that 1) this is about Orcus’s play for godhood and 2) using the final aspect of Tyr to do so.

They need to research and find out what Orcus needs to complete the process. (Celestial Feather and Blood of Lathander; possibly why he needs the Crown of Horns)

Researching the items will have to take place at either Candlekeep (information about the Blood of Lathander; DC 20 Intelligence [History] check); crumbling ruins of the Spirit Soaring (info about the Celestial entombed in Stone; DC 18 Intelligence [History] or [Religion] check); and Waterdeep, In Blackstaff Tower (info about the Crown of Horns; Persuasion 25 to get Larael Silverhand to talk about being imprisoned within the crown)

Once they find out how Orcus plans to gain divinity, they’ll need to determine how to stop him AND free Tyr. They’ll need to ask around Waterdeep or find out more information about this sword Vindicator (Ever Watchful) and they’ll find out that a warrior-vigilante once operated in Waterdeep’s Downshadow with DC 15 Charisma [Persuasion] or Intelligence [Investigation] check.

Secondly, the PCs will need to determine what items they’ll need to equip themselves with in order to stop Orcus. Obviously legendary weapons and artifacts are necessary but they’ll need to research to find them. Some item locations can be found in Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Baldur’s Gate, Westgate, etc.

Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2022 : 11:44:08
HISTORY & GOALS of ORCUS
The main goal of Orcus is to rise above a Demon Lord and become a true Deity, even if it’s a lesser deity of Undeath. On Faerûn, the Lord of the Dead is Kelemvor. However that particularly pertains to true, natural death and the passing beyond. Kelemvor’s senchal, Jergal, also has the Death Portfolio, but that is more in-line with the keeping record of those who’ve passed and not the reanimation there of. The lesser god Velsharoon, once the primary deity of Undeath in the absence of Myrkul, died in a gout of divine fire in 1425 DR. This left a vacuum of power for that portfolio since Myrkul was pleasantly still couched in the Crown of Horns.

In the events after the deity Tyr slew Helm, Tyr was devastated by his actions and gave most of his power to Torm before delving into the Abyss and taking on hordes of demons. Tyr made his way fairly deep into the Nine Hells before succumbing to injuries on the plane of Thanatos, the 113th layer of the Abyss - Orcus’ lair. The Demon Lord did not want to kill Tyr right away, to do so would allow the divine essence of the Greater God to dissipate and return to the æther. No, Orcus wanted to capture and subdue the lord of justice and siphon off his divine essence unto himself. This would give him greater abilities and to more heavily influence the Prime Material plane. When Tyr would be near death, THEN the Prince of the Undead would slay Tyr and ultimately gain enough divine rank to form his own portfolio and fill the vacuum Velsharoon left.

Orcus, knowing that his ascension would anger and disrupt the plans and machinations of other Demon Lords, had hidden away Tyr’s body on the domain of Letherna - the old Realm of the Raven Queen in a place called Zvomarana (once the main Temple to Nera - the Raven Queen’s true name]. This plane was conquered by Orcus a millenia ago and sent Nera fleeing through the cosmos until she fell upon Faerûn. In her wake, Orcus made this plane his own home - away from his layer in the Abyss. It's from here that he would make his army and stage an assault on Faerûn, using a portal from this prime plane to Toril. Tyr is imprisoned within a pocket dimension surrounded by pieces of obsidian glass scrounged from the lowest depths of the Nine Hells, shards that can easily cut Tyr to ribbons should it break. In the event that any erstwhile heroes attempt to free Tyr, he’ll be cut to pieces and die and even though Orcus won’t receive the divine power - at least no one else will! He’s even put an encouraging phrase - in Abyssal of course- which is intended to confused good heroes to break the glass and seal the god’s fate.

"Shatter the Mirror and set justice free!
When all is broken, wholly divine He’ll forever be!"

ORCUS PLANS AND ACTIONS
Orcus will need to plan to figure out how to finally kill the god Tyr. This ascension to god-hood must come with a very specific Rite with the correct materials and inscriptions. The first is a true feather from a Celestial creature. Orcus knows where one is present - a Planetar turned Stone at the Chapel of Resounding Justice just outside of Archenbridge (Sembia). Release the Celestial in time to kill it and take it’s feathers.

The second piece that Orcus needs is the Blood of Lathander, so that it can be corrupted and transformed into an item called Blood of Putrescence. The Blood is located in Durlag’s tower, which will require mortals or undead troops to retrieve.

With the corrupted blood of a god, and the divine essence of a celestial's feather also corrupted and placed onto the dying Tyr, Orcus can break down the remaining vestiges of divine protections and kill Tyr entirely.

Orcus also wants the famed Crown of Horns. This is primarily a backup plan, and one that isn’t without serious risks. In the event that Killing Tyr doesn't work, Orcus will don the crown and attempt to fully embrace and overtake Myrkul as the true master of undeath. Orcus hopes that this will be enough to give him a shot at divinity because the divine power held within by the God Myrkul is what siphons off Orcus and elevates him to godhood. The Netherese have this item and are attempting to release their own undead God onto the world.

Aside from the elements that Orcus needs to complete the ritual, he needs to build an army of the Undead. The first attempt was thwarted, as the Priest of Amaunator turned undead attempted to corrupt the Companion and use the unholy light to raise the undead in the Fields of the Dead outside of Elturel. Still, not all was lost as his agents have found and are going to attempt to employ the use of a Dracolich for their plans. This Dracolich resides in the mountains near the elven city of Evereska.

Of course, there are some flaws with this plan.

1) Other Demon Lords and even the Devil-turned-God Asmodeus himself does NOT want Orcus to gain that much power. Minions of these demons and Asmodi will no doubt attempt to thwart the demon lord's plans. Should the PCs warn or discuss this issue with Devils, it might pique their interests to help thwart Orcus.

2) The chains that bind Tyr are almost impenetrable, however the Sword known as Ever Watchful aka Vindicator, can break them because this weapon is bonded to Helm. The sword breaking the chains signifies Helm accepting Tyr’s apology for slaying him. He knows that the sword is somewhere located in the city of Westgate and has sent minions to kill its user and hide or destroy the sword completely.

3) Orcus knows of a Prophecy, but doesn’t know exactly what it says, and has sent his allies to find it. If they find there are people in the prophecy, he will try to kill them. With this aim, he has a spy who has a distant link to Orcus.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000