Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best 2e supplements?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Azar Posted - 03 Oct 2021 : 15:43:58
Hi there.

Aside from the excellent trio of deity books (Faiths & Avatars, Demihuman Deities and Powers and Pantheons), what are some other 2e-era Forgotten Realms offerings that are worth obtaining?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TheIriaeban Posted - 16 Sep 2022 : 16:14:06
I was able to get a full set of the 2e Wizard's Spell Compendiums via Half-Priced Books and Amazon for a reasonable cost (some are listed for over $100 bucks which is insane; I got mine for between 30 and 50 bucks each). I already had the pdfs from DMsGuild but there is nothing quite like perusing a physical book.
The Masked Mage Posted - 16 Sep 2022 : 01:43:49
You can often find old stuff on the bottom shelf of old bobby shops who carried a couple D&D products just for the variety and never really were interested. The ones that didn't sell ended up on the forget about it shelf :P
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2022 : 01:06:30
I'm not the best person to ask, honestly. When I lost all my stuff, I managed to connect with someone looking to dump all of their stuff. So I went from extensive collection to nothing to even more extensive collection, in a relatively short amount of time.

For the rest of the stuff to fill out my collection, I turned to eBay -- which was where I'd originally turned to fill out the gaps in the original collection.

And with eBay, sometimes you just need patience and a little creativity. I got lucky and got the Encyclopedia Magica books for $150, in great condition, because I had a saved search in eBay and saw the email early one morn. When I decided, a year or so ago, to replace my original Deities & Demigods, I didn't even look at the ones that were listed as having the Cthulhu & Elric stuff -- because people were jumping on those. I focused on the auctions where it didn't say if that stuff was in the book or not -- and then I pinged the sellers and asked for the page count. The copy I got was in very good condition and I got it for like $25 or $30, because the seller didn't realize what he had and no one else thought to ask him.
Azar Posted - 16 Sep 2022 : 00:45:10
I managed to snag two (!) sealed copies of the 2e FRCS box set (the later grey re-release instead of the original "gold" box) by checking out an Italian market. Let this be a lesson: sometimes you must go foreign to find true treasure.

Also, I bought a sealed copy of The Ruins of Myth Drannor (the original 1993 release with the TSR plate logo); it's a little dinged, but, for its age, this example is in otherwise new condition.

Finally, after discovering that it features both Hillsfar and Phlan (among other famous Realms spots), I acquired The Moonsea.

--- --- ---

Now, a question for Wooly Rupert and other serious collectors. There are few 2e box sets left for me to obtain (Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms, Maztica, Menzoberranzan, City of Splendors, The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier and Netheril: Empire of Magic). Presently, I've written off Kara-Tur and Menzoberranzan, because the chances of a decent copy of either product popping up is slim to none (anything Asian/exotic is popular and Drizzt/the Drow are insanely popular). As for the rest, I'm primarily interested in the Waterdeep supplement, but I wouldn't pass up another opportunity. Anyhow, the question: how do you go about finding these vintage TTRPG products? Do you simply visit the usual online marketplaces on a regular basis? Do you have an inside connection? Are local tabletop gaming scenes the best hunting grounds?
Azar Posted - 22 Apr 2022 : 07:13:09
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Azar

In this case, "supplement" may be something of a stretch, but I finally obtained the Kara-Tur Trail Map; if only the setting box set itself were easy to find .

There was also a Waterdeep one.

That's next on my list; alas, I only have so many kidneys.

(I believe at least one was made for Dragonlance, too.)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Apr 2022 : 02:10:49
quote:

In this case, "supplement" may be something of a stretch, but I finally obtained the Kara-Tur Trail Map; if only the setting box set itself were easy to find .

There was also a Waterdeep one.
Azar Posted - 21 Apr 2022 : 23:21:00
Azar Posted - 15 Apr 2022 : 21:30:55
quote:
Originally posted by Quickleaf

Cormyr

There's the Cormyr supplement along with Volo's Guide to Cormyr.
George Krashos Posted - 15 Apr 2022 : 16:16:19
The DMs Guild Cormyr product is pretty decent although not all of it was to my taste (big font!). Map is awesome and provides a decent update to the kingdom. It would serve okay as the basis for a campaign.

-- George Krashos
Quickleaf Posted - 14 Apr 2022 : 18:13:40
What AD&D supplements do you recommend for a campaign that spans the "interior" of Faerûn: Cormyr, Sembia, Dragon Coast, Turmish, and maybe a bit more?

If we get as far as Ravens Bluff I know there is City of Ravens Bluff, and if we include The Pirate Isles there's Pirates of the Fallen Stars. I saw on DMs Guild that someone put together a 255-page pdf update of Cormyr, but not sure if it's worth $35.
Quickleaf Posted - 14 Apr 2022 : 18:08:55
quote:
I've heard some...things...about Dragon Mountain. How far are you into that module? Night Below is apparently a Level 1 to 10 adventure; I highly approve of lengthy adventures !

So I actually ran Dragon Mountain. I'll probably sound crazy on this forum, but I ran my conversion of it in 4th edition. I know!

We had 13 sessions total, so it was a bit compressed, but it was basically a dungeon crawl where I cut out almost all the tedium and focused on this ebb and flow of conflict between the kobolds and the PCs. I really played up the uniqueness of each kobold clan with signature traps, different appearances, specialized tactics, the dungeon zone for that clan having a certain feel, etc.

It definitely helped that we took a lighter tone with it and the players were willing to embrace a slightly masochistic "let's see how bad the kobolds will screw us over if we try this crazy idea."

We had a paladin trapped in a bag of devouring and a sphere of annihilation eat through two levels of the mountain at one point. Good times. I think if we'd gone any longer this group of players would have had some dungeon/kobold fatigue, so the timing worked well for us.
Azar Posted - 06 Apr 2022 : 12:02:45
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Spellbound is quite good too. I hadn't checked out it until recently, since I thought it was a book just about spells (Unapproachable East would have been a better title, like the 3E book). But it details quite extensively Thay, Rasheman and Aglarond.

Product obtained! Sir, you could not have been more correct ; this box set features an abundance of information on the following ->

• Awesome Algarond.

• Tyrannical Thay.

• Russian Rashemen.
Azar Posted - 09 Feb 2022 : 05:06:52
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

Elminster's Ecologies

I now have both appendices as well (also still sealed). The 5e renaissance is - at times - a boon for 2e collectors.
Azar Posted - 25 Jan 2022 : 06:45:06
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Lol yeah pardon the high school slang, it’s a result of teaching 100+ of them each day.

Had I given you the impression that I disapproved? Sorry...I honestly do not know the definition of "vibing". From what I've gathered, it may mean "in the mood for" or "feeling for". Please, educate me; I'm always open to broadening my vocabulary with idioms (or even slang, if it fits the criteria).

quote:

Your reasoning is exactly right though. I love those lengthy adventurers as well, they can immerse you even for just a read through. I also love that those two products are pretty much setting neutral and can be dropped mostly anywhere.

To answer your question though I don’t have the time to play them yet. I’m trying to convert parts of Night Below, but the read through is a joy.

City of the Spider Queen is a 3e adventure...module? (just what is the cardinal difference between the two?)...but you'll get some mileage out of that one if you haven't already.
Seethyr Posted - 24 Jan 2022 : 10:22:25
quote:

quote:

Depending on what I’m currently vibing on the answer to this question will change weekly for me. I’m currently gobbling up Night Below and Dragon Mountain again do those two...

Pardon: vibing?

I've heard some...things...about Dragon Mountain. How far are you into that module? Night Below is apparently a Level 1 to 10 adventure; I highly approve of lengthy adventures !

Lol yeah pardon the high school slang, it’s a result of teaching 100+ of them each day. Your reasoning is exactly right though. I love those lengthy adventurers as well, they can immerse you even for just a read through. I also love that those two products are pretty much setting neutral and can be dropped mostly anywhere.

To answer your question though I don’t have the time to play them yet. I’m trying to convert parts of Night Below, but the read through is a joy.
Scots Dragon Posted - 24 Jan 2022 : 10:14:24
Aside from simply echoing City of Ravens Bluff and Cloak & Dagger...

Choosing a favourite 2nd Edition supplement is like choosing a favourite drop in the ocean. At some point the sheer volume of good and great material is its own overwhelming positive factor.
Azar Posted - 24 Jan 2022 : 06:27:17
quote:

Depending on what I’m currently vibing on the answer to this question will change weekly for me. I’m currently gobbling up Night Below and Dragon Mountain again do those two...

Pardon: vibing?

Seethyr Posted - 17 Jan 2022 : 15:17:18
Azar Posted - 17 Jan 2022 : 00:42:57
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

Elminster's Ecologies

I found it in a New condition and still sealed. Gosh...TSR was truly knocking the supplements out of the park in the 90s. This is another product that deserved to be released in a hardcover format; Elminster's Ecologies is far more impressive than the ecology tidbits seen in later edition books.
George Krashos Posted - 08 Dec 2021 : 11:55:35
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yeah, yellow/gold was first. It's the one on my shelf and I always bought in release.

-- George Krashos

Do you mean that you always purchased each edition of D&D's Forgotten Realms campaign setting box/book on release?

Yes.

-- George Krashos
Azar Posted - 07 Dec 2021 : 23:26:10
quote:

Could've sworn it was the other way around, but you appear to be correct.

Wooly, in all fairness to you, the topic is one that I've recently visited due to my electronicBay hunting . Because I was ultimately interested in the gaming material, I wasn't too picky concerning the box itself: year or condition. For your information, the earlier TSR FR products sport the rectangular TSR plate, whereas the later TSR FR products sport the circular emblem plus dragon.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yeah, yellow/gold was first. It's the one on my shelf and I always bought in release.

-- George Krashos

Do you mean that you always purchased each edition of D&D's Forgotten Realms campaign setting box/book on release?
George Krashos Posted - 07 Dec 2021 : 08:04:50

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 18:47:17
Could've sworn it was the other way around, but you appear to be correct.
Azar Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 16:53:18
quote:

quote:

Yeah...he made a reappearance on what was technically the first 2e FR box set; unfortunately, on that box's cover, he and his mount were superimposed on a plain yellow/gold background (IMO, far less engaging than the OGB's cover landscape featuring land coral).

I believe that was the second printing of the 2E FRCS. There was a box that was grey but had very colorful artwork of a lot of the characters on it.

You can see the other cover on this Amazon listing.

Going by this list, the yellow/gold box debuted first (in 1993) and the "colorful artwork" release (as you call it) debuted later (in 1996). The one I bought is the revised/1996 version -> Example. Fortunately, three years later, the contents themselves remained the same.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 16:18:51
quote:

Yeah...he made a reappearance on what was technically the first 2e FR box set; unfortunately, on that box's cover, he and his mount were superimposed on a plain yellow/gold background (IMO, far less engaging than the OGB's cover landscape featuring land coral).

I believe that was the second printing of the 2E FRCS. There was a box that was grey but had very colorful artwork of a lot of the characters on it.

You can see the other cover on this Amazon listing.

Azar Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 13:46:54
George Krashos Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 11:47:16
All permutations of "that guy" are dealt with in my DMs Guild article.

-- Georg Krashos
The Masked Mage Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 06:25:23
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I finally obtained the AD&D 2e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting box set (product no. 1085). Wahoo !

I was so excited when I got my first copy of the OGB... The 2E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting boxed set was announced a month later. I was not yet a Realms junkie, so that actually irked me, at the time!

Pardon..."OGB"? Original Game Box, perhaps? Do you mean the grey box with the spear-wielding warrior astride a horse?

The 1E Forgotten Realms Campaign Set boxed set came -- as you described -- in a grey box with a spear-wielding horseman since dubbed "Dûd Onahorz" (and written up as Yahdi al Alamat, by George Krashos) on the cover.

This box has become known as the "Old Grey Box" or OGB.

I'm sure someone has said this somewhere here before but Dud Onahorz had his own card in the 91 collector card set.

Thunderstorm, 15th level Warrior

Card 120
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 05:14:00
quote:

quote:

quote:

I finally obtained the AD&D 2e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting box set (product no. 1085). Wahoo !

I was so excited when I got my first copy of the OGB... The 2E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting boxed set was announced a month later. I was not yet a Realms junkie, so that actually irked me, at the time!

Pardon..."OGB"? Original Game Box, perhaps? Do you mean the grey box with the spear-wielding warrior astride a horse?

The 1E Forgotten Realms Campaign Set boxed set came -- as you described -- in a grey box with a spear-wielding horseman since dubbed "Dûd Onahorz" (and written up as Yahdi al Alamat, by George Krashos) on the cover.

This box has become known as the "Old Grey Box" or OGB.
Azar Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 04:23:22
quote:

quote:

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000