Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018-20??)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2016 : 22:59:08
I decided that we weren't going to continue using the 2014 reading discussion... So here's a new one for the new year!

(And since this thread has but a few pages, might as well use it for 2017, as well.)

(Only up to 11 pages, so might as well continue for another year.)

November 2020: This hasn't been the most prolific thread, so I'm tweaking the title again and letting it ride a while longer.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shardnax Posted - 19 Jul 2023 : 14:35:30
Thanks. I'll probably get around to reading it sometime soon in that case.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jul 2023 : 05:30:03
quote:
Originally posted by Shardnax

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've read a fair amount since my last post in this thread. I'm currently re-reading Cormyr: A Novel for the first time in a long while.

Does Cormyr conclude on its own or is it tied to the other two books?

As I recall, it's a standalone.
Shardnax Posted - 19 Jul 2023 : 00:28:02
quote:

I've read a fair amount since my last post in this thread. I'm currently re-reading Cormyr: A Novel for the first time in a long while.

Does Cormyr conclude on its own or is it tied to the other two books?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Jul 2023 : 22:56:19
quote:

Re-reading The Bands of Mourning, and interspersing that with manga and various game materials.

BileDemon Posted - 18 Jul 2023 : 18:38:57
Over approx. the last two years Iīve read this. I just paste my notes here. One day I hope to have read all novels. ATM at Frostfell, then I plan to read the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy.

The Cleric Quintet:
1 Canticle (October 1991)
2 In Sylvan Shadows (April 1992)
3 Night Masks (August 1992)
4 The Fallen Fortress (June 1993)
5 The Chaos Curse (June 1994)

The Dungeons
1 The Depths of Madness (March 2007)
2 The Howling Delve (July 2007)
3 Stardeep (October 2007)
4 Crypt of the Moaning Diamond (November 2007)

War of the Spider Queen
1 Dissolution (July 2002), by Richard Lee Byers
2 Insurrection (December 2002), by Thomas M. Reid
3 Condemnation (May 2003), by Richard Baker
4 Extinction (January 2004), by Lisa Smedman
5 Annihilation (July 2004), by Philip Athans
6 Resurrection (April 2005), by Paul S. Kemp

The Lady Penitent
1 Sacrifice of the Widow (February 2007)
2 Storm of the Dead (September 2007)
3 Ascendancy of the Last (June 2008)

The Last Mythal
1 Forsaken House (August 2004)
2 Farthest Reach (July 2005)
3 Final Gate (June 2006)

Brimstone Angels
1 Brimstone Angels (November 2011)
2 Lesser Evils (EBook, December 2012)
3 The Adversary (The Sundering #3; December 2013)
4 Fire in the Blood (October 2014)
5 Ashes of the Tyrant (December 2015)
6 The Devil You Know (October 2016)

The Twilight Giant
1 The Ogre's Pact (1994)
2 The Giant Among Us (1995)
3 The Titan of Twilight (1995)

The Empyrean Odyssey
1 The Gossamer Plain 2007
2 The Fractured Sky 2008
3 The Crystal Mountain 2009

Starlight and Shadows
1 Daughter of the Drow (1995)
2 Tangled Webs (1996)
3 Windwalker (2003)

Songs & Swords
1 Elfshadow (1991, reprinted in 2000)
2 Elfsong (1994, reprinted in 2000)
3 Silver Shadows (June 1996)
4 Thornhold (August 1998)
5 The Dream Spheres (May 1999)

Standalone:
The Glass Prison 1999
Venom in her Veins 2012
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Feb 2023 : 02:24:29
Re-reading The Bands of Mourning, and interspersing that with manga and various game materials.
Erikor Posted - 17 Feb 2023 : 00:35:55
I'm reading Unbroken Chain. Cool to learn more about the shadar-kai.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jan 2023 : 21:28:46
The Mountain in the Sea

Just finished reading this one, and wow, it was good. It's going on to my Best New Reads of the year list. I'm linking to it because I enjoyed it enough to recommend it to others.

Not sure what's next; I think I'm going to alternate betwixt some manga and Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I bought Astrophysics for Young People in a Hurry for my son, and he really enjoyed it. I flipped through his copy, reading some bits here and there, and then got back on Amazon to order this one for myself. Non-fiction is generally not my thing, but I'm going to give it a shot.
Erikor Posted - 01 Nov 2022 : 01:42:41
I finished Return of the Archwizards. It has a lot of mentions to other books I didn't get the first time I read it. The first time I only got the Shimmergloom reference.
Yesterday I started reading Erin M. Evans' books about Farideh. About time I read those again.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Oct 2022 : 15:03:50
I would have enjoyed that trilogy a lot more if the author hadn't decided to have established NPCs act like morons and make things worse at every opportunity, while having his characters always making the right choices.
Captain Grafalcon Posted - 15 Oct 2022 : 13:42:41
quote:
Originally posted by Erikor

I'm re-reading "Return of the archwizards". A great trilogy.

Undoubtedly! I learned a lot about the Netheril empire, and that made it easier to understand other books, such as The Sundering series. I didn't know anything about the Tanthul family, or the Shadow Weave, for example.
Erikor Posted - 15 Oct 2022 : 00:02:59
I'm re-reading "Return of the archwizards". A great trilogy.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Oct 2022 : 16:10:03
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Grafalcon

quote:

I'm reading the Heroine Complex series by Sarah Kuhn. I'd read the first three books, and only recently discovered there was a novella and three more books.

After that, in preparation for the new novel, I'm going to re-read the Mistborn books.

I will soon start the second Era of the Mistborn books! Read good reviews about them.

There's another book coming out for that second trilogy, in November.
Captain Grafalcon Posted - 06 Oct 2022 : 14:24:18
quote:

I'm reading the Heroine Complex series by Sarah Kuhn. I'd read the first three books, and only recently discovered there was a novella and three more books.

After that, in preparation for the new novel, I'm going to re-read the Mistborn books.

I will soon start the second Era of the Mistborn books! Read good reviews about them.
Captain Grafalcon Posted - 06 Oct 2022 : 14:19:02
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Finished Fire in the Blood (Erin Evans). The story takes place in Cormyr, and I liked the author's characterization a realm predominantly explored by Ed in the novels. Good story,great character development. I'm not very familiar with the rules and aspects of the last D&D edition, but I was bothered by the high prevalence of chosens in this saga. A individual with a divine preference is already a tiresome formula.

The presence of so many Chosen was a decision made by the novels department to herald the Sundering and advent of 5E. Erin Evans was told to write about all those Chosen. She had no choice in the matter.

-- George Krashos

I understand. Regardless, her books are very good. And I wish in the future there would be an opportunity for more publications involving Evans/Forgotten Realms
George Krashos Posted - 06 Oct 2022 : 09:19:00
quote:

Finished Fire in the Blood (Erin Evans). The story takes place in Cormyr, and I liked the author's characterization a realm predominantly explored by Ed in the novels. Good story,great character development. I'm not very familiar with the rules and aspects of the last D&D edition, but I was bothered by the high prevalence of chosens in this saga. A individual with a divine preference is already a tiresome formula.

The presence of so many Chosen was a decision made by the novels department to herald the Sundering and advent of 5E. Erin Evans was told to write about all those Chosen. She had no choice in the matter.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Oct 2022 : 22:31:15

Captain Grafalcon Posted - 05 Oct 2022 : 21:44:34
Delnyn Posted - 02 Apr 2022 : 14:26:58
quote:

I just finished The Simbul's Gift (Lynn Abbey). I have a lot of apprehension about the involvement of relevant and powerful characters in FR novels. My overall impression is of a Simbul that doesn't justify being so feared (as well as loved by her own). What bothered me most was the character's ingenuity when faced with challenges. The villains, however, were well developed.Thay is one of the most fascinating empires to explore in the Realms. I appreciate Szass Tam, but itīs good to read more novels involving other zulkirs.

I admit to being stunned at the results of the encounter between the Simbul and Lauzoril. If the Simbul did not go insane during the Spellplague, things might have gone much differently between Szass Tam and the zulkirs, Baereris, Aoth and the ghost paladin whose name evades me.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Apr 2022 : 02:29:01
I just this day finished The Kaiju Preservation Society, and I loved it.
Captain Grafalcon Posted - 21 Mar 2022 : 12:29:52
Just started Return of the Archwizards trilogy (Troy Denning). I have good expectations...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Mar 2022 : 03:32:16
quote:
Originally posted by tarotsalamanca

I just read "Six-Gun Tarot".
Very interesting

That was a good series. The last book does set up further books, though I'm not sure how close anything else is to getting published -- but I do want more of that series.

...Which is a bit ironic, because the Cthulhu elements are strong throughout the series, and I'm not a fan of horror in general or Cthulhu in particular. I don't care for Western stuff, either -- but putting them both together means it's something that doesn't fall squarely into either genre, so it works for me. Pretty sure this is the first Weird West stuff I've read.
Charles Phipps Posted - 09 Mar 2022 : 20:58:31
After literally 30 years of reading Dungeons and Dragons fiction, I am finally reading the Finder's Stone books.

Also the Minsc Dungeons and Dragons comics.
tarotsalamanca Posted - 09 Mar 2022 : 17:15:52
I just read "Six-Gun Tarot".
Very interesting
Artemas Entreri Posted - 01 Mar 2022 : 11:54:10
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

quote:

Finished Spellstorm. Ed Greenwood's attempt at a Realms mystery novel had about as much depth as an episode of Scooby Doo.

I've got to add it to my list, I love Scooby Doo.

I just finished Death Masks and I loved it. I actually liked it so much I started it over. One of my favorite Realms novels so far.

Plus I love the fact that Lords of Waterdeep board game makes an appearance in the novel.

'There were five men and women seated around the table in this room, with a board between them depicting the city of Waterdeep One of the men was grinning and announcing gleefully, "Time for a mandatory quest, I think!"'

I'm just starting Death Masks and it's the only remaining Greenwood Realms novel I haven't read yet. The Greenwood novels I've enjoyed are a huge minority compared to the ones I didn't, so I'll be glad to get this last one out of the way. Hopefully it will be a good one.

"It was darker than the inside of a blind woman's womb." Death Masks pg.45.

Yep, only in a Greenwood Realms novel.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 20 Feb 2022 : 17:25:02
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

quote:

Finished Spellstorm. Ed Greenwood's attempt at a Realms mystery novel had about as much depth as an episode of Scooby Doo.

I just finished Death Masks and I loved it. I actually liked it so much I started it over. One of my favorite Realms novels so far.

Plus I love the fact that Lords of Waterdeep board game makes an appearance in the novel.

'There were five men and women seated around the table in this room, with a board between them depicting the city of Waterdeep One of the men was grinning and announcing gleefully, "Time for a mandatory quest, I think!"'

I'm just starting Death Masks and it's the only remaining Greenwood Realms novel I haven't read yet. The Greenwood novels I've enjoyed are a huge minority compared to the ones I didn't, so I'll be glad to get this last one out of the way. Hopefully it will be a good one.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 20 Feb 2022 : 16:48:06
Finished Prophet of the Dead to complete the Brotherhood of the Griffon series. Pretty enjoyable with the exception of Aoth 1-shotting a lich at one point.
Captain Grafalcon Posted - 10 Jan 2022 : 14:39:53
I just finished The Simbul's Gift (Lynn Abbey). I have a lot of apprehension about the involvement of relevant and powerful characters in FR novels. My overall impression is of a Simbul that doesn't justify being so feared (as well as loved by her own). What bothered me most was the character's ingenuity when faced with challenges. The villains, however, were well developed.Thay is one of the most fascinating empires to explore in the Realms. I appreciate Szass Tam, but itīs good to read more novels involving other zulkirs.
Gelcur Posted - 15 Dec 2021 : 19:02:50
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Dec 2021 : 17:02:06
I finished the Yamada Monogatari books in about a week, as expect. I just a few minutes ago finished another book called The Chimera Code. It's got a lot of cyberpunk elements, without being the corporate dystopia you usually see in cyberpunk. And it's also got magic. I wasn't really grabbed by the book, initially, but it finished strong enough that I'll look for the next book, when it comes out.

Next I'm going to revisit the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences books I mentioned at the top of the previous page.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000