Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Darkfyre Phoenix of Lopango and/or Kara-Tur

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 03 May 2021 : 14:29:12
Something just occurred to me and thought I would put forth a basic idea and see if it sparks more of a discussion. What if some necromancer were to pervert the life energy of a phoenix, such that it wouldn't "die" unless killed, and at the same time instilled an actual FEAR of death into said phoenix? I just have a picture of basically a giant skeletal bird whose bones have become essentially obsidian like, surrounded by a perverted dark green flame or somesuch. It becomes something that is hidden away, fearing its own death... in many ways like a dracolich, but different, because a dracolich took on its form to prevent its death. Maybe someone even steals its ability to be reborn, and so it has taken on lichdom as a way to continue to survive, all the while it plots to find a way to recover its immortality.

In this concept, Phoenii (phoenixes?) are not unique creations, but they are still extremely rare. I'm picturing them on the rarity level of there being possibly 10 or more just being known to interact with Toril in various spots of the whole world, etc...

How can we twist this knife to make this a more interesting story? My first thoughts are to give this phoenix a mate who initially wanted to help, but now just wants to kill them to end the persversion. My second thought is to link Bazim-Gorag to this undead phoenix, as in him becoming "The Firebringer" by stealing its immortality when he was a batrachi noble.

EDIT: In thinking more on this, the "House of Tezca" desert in Maztica might be an appropriate place to have this "interaction" occur, with the stealing of the life force of a phoenix resulting in the creation of an effect which steals the life from the surrounding territory and creates a desert in a flash. Perhaps this is a main reason for the particular location of the city of Tukan by Qotal, as a means to try and restore life to this section of the world.

As a possibility even, there might be some sort of mirroring of "heaven on earth".... as in maybe Zaltec mirrored in Bazim-Gorag kills a life/earth goddess Maztica in the form of a Phoenix. Perhaps the "heart" of this Phoenix became the "heart of Maztica" that was the source of the Darkfyre in Nexal, which in turn required living breathing hearts to be fed to it. Want to think on that more.

EDIT2: in thinking a little more on the above and looking at some of what I was thinking and at the same time what Seethyr has done with his TWR4 - Zatal - Mountain of Fire... to a degree we're thinking along similar lines. I was thinking the sunstone might be where a phoenix might have been changed. I was also thinking this area might be linked to the blood of Maztica, and I was thinking the darkfire might be linked to the heart of Maztica. However, I'm thinking more that perhaps instead of having them being the same, having them be a "mirroring". Maybe Bazim-Gorag the Batrachi faces off against some Phoenix of the Aearee, and he find the maca that Zaltec used to kill his mother, and he uses it in some ritual to pervert the phoenix and steal its immortality. Thus, the "healing" of Maztica that happens in the aforementioned module wouldn't necessarily heal the phoenix.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 03 May 2021 : 19:15:34
-Sounds very Sharran.
sleyvas Posted - 03 May 2021 : 18:41:58
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Aearee transformation sounds plausible. Some sarrukh became couatl. Dome batrachi became something else.

At least one phoenix spawned the phoelarch.

Might as well make one phoenix become a possessing spirit so you can do an xmen parody. I do hope wotc dont read this as it's a terrible idea.

Yeah, when I started thinking of the name "dark phoenix", the idea of xmen did come up. But an undead/skeletal one was something I don't think I've seen anyone pursue.
Gary Dallison Posted - 03 May 2021 : 18:15:54
Aearee transformation sounds plausible. Some sarrukh became couatl. Dome batrachi became something else.

At least one phoenix spawned the phoelarch.

Might as well make one phoenix become a possessing spirit so you can do an xmen parody. I do hope wotc dont read this as it's a terrible idea.
sleyvas Posted - 03 May 2021 : 18:05:38
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I'm of the opinion that no monsters in FR are unique but every individual should be different.

The phoenix to my mind is an end state magical transformation much like the phaerimm or sharn, but not necessarily for humans.

It is incredibly rare, and perhaps only 2 or 3 individuals have ever achieved it, but not unique.

I like the idea of rebirth sites being inherently powerfully magical. I also like the idea that a phoenix can be twisted at death to make a twisted version or that its creation can be twisted.

I know there is a phoenix legend in raurin. Not encountered one in the moonshae or icewind dale, but there is another calimshan which is possibly unrelated to the raurin one.

Yeah, I too like the idea that "no one Phoenix is like any other".
I picture some as giant raptor/falcon like, but others might be more like a peacock, others more pheasant or rooster like, others like a bird of paradise, and others like parrots or toucans, and Seethyr was talking about another kind. I also like the idea of them being a changed being, and since I'm discussing something that may span dozens of millenia, it could have happened many times in different ways around the world (much like there are lots of undead dragons). One idea that was coming to mind is that the Phoenix itself could be a risen representative of the Aearee who somehow takes on a flaming bird like form with immortality.... and an undead parrot form would be fitting for the area. This form is then perverted.
Gary Dallison Posted - 03 May 2021 : 16:36:13
I'm of the opinion that no monsters in FR are unique but every individual should be different.

The phoenix to my mind is an end state magical transformation much like the phaerimm or sharn, but not necessarily for humans.

It is incredibly rare, and perhaps only 2 or 3 individuals have ever achieved it, but not unique.

I like the idea of rebirth sites being inherently powerfully magical. I also like the idea that a phoenix can be twisted at death to make a twisted version or that its creation can be twisted.

I know there is a phoenix legend in raurin. Not encountered one in the moonshae or icewind dale, but there is another calimshan which is possibly unrelated to the raurin one.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000