Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hint that Faerun Campaign Book is by MtG team

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gyor Posted - 18 Mar 2021 : 20:34:45
I think the MtG team at WotC may have just let slip Faerun is getting a Campaign Setting Book.

"Releasing on July 16, we begin our journey in Faerűn with Adventures in the Forgotten Realms—the first time we're bringing the world of Dungeons & Dragons to a Magic: The Gathering release. Unlike our usual mid-year Core Set release, Adventures in the Forgotten Realms has everything you love about Magic—mixed with the tropes and tools of Dungeons & Dragons for a flavorful and mechanically unique experience for players.

It's an adventure unlike any you've seen in Magic yet!

The in important part is "We BEGIN our journey in Faerun with Adventures in the Forgotten Realms" the emphasis on Begin, as this set is just a start of a journey into Faerun, as in more for FAERUN is planned then just this set. It could mean future MtG sets in Faerun, hell Forgotten Realms might replace Core Sets I guess, but more likely is a Faerun Campaign World Setting Book IMHO. Look at the last couple of UAs that weren't intended for Ravenloft, two Dragon Themed subclasses and 4 Feywild races (Faerun is literally named after Faerie which is another, older, canon name for the Feywild).

Putting the pieces together I really thing this book is coming this year.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 05:31:16
quote:
Originally posted by HighOne

Would they even tell Ed if they were working on one? I don't think he's even credited on the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (or any other 5E product?).

Even if he wasn't officially notified (which I think unlikely), I'd still expect any designer working on a setting book for the Realms -- whether the mythical campaign book or a regional book -- would contact Ed for info he can use.
HighOne Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 04:15:34
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Don't think this has been posted here?

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1410672846389583880
Ed Greenwood@TheEdVerse
Replying to @Bog97th @3DragonMinimum and 6 others

Me, too!
Yet I'm not sure a "baseline" Realms guide for 5e is in the cards. Sigh.
2:53 PM · Jul 1, 2021·Twitter Web App

Would they even tell Ed if they were working on one? I don't think he's even credited on the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (or any other 5E product?).
AJA Posted - 06 Jul 2021 : 00:58:20

Don't think this has been posted here?

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1410672846389583880
Ed Greenwood@TheEdVerse
Replying to @Bog97th @3DragonMinimum and 6 others

Me, too!
Yet I'm not sure a "baseline" Realms guide for 5e is in the cards. Sigh.
2:53 PM · Jul 1, 2021·Twitter Web App

sleyvas Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 22:51:05
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by deserk
Tashalar or Samarach; lands that have only been properly detailed in the Serpent Kingdoms book in 3rd edition.
That's exactly why I think it would be a good idea to place a drow settlement in Tashalar or Samarach: they haven't been fully explored, so something new could crop up there without it seeming like a total retcon. Chult, meanwhile, was exhaustively detailed in 5E's Tomb of Annihilation, which even included a hex-map of Chult. Players could explore the entire jungle, including the interior, hex by hex. Kind of odd that no one would have discovered a settlement of drow during that time.

Yeah, I could buy Samarach as well more than Chult for exactly the reasons you describe (plus, with its ties to illusion magic, a hidden city isn't unbelievable). It might be the one place that I could see them as having already existed. In fact, I actually like that idea as a place where they might have been slowly expanding into (and it could possibly put some twists on things if you also had them heading into Nimbral prior to the spellplague, and the two groups became separate).

That being said, you have these udadrow that are everywhere. The idea that these other two groups of drow would only be just 2 new drow cities and not completely separate cultures is what I thought they were trying to do (may be wrong). If its just a city that doesn't worship Lolth, there are those (there was one focused on Kiaransalee, another where they mostly rejected religion in favor of arcane arts, etc....). I would hope that this is a large group of drow, not just a city full of each. Otherwise, really, what's the point.
HighOne Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 22:24:40
quote:
Originally posted by deserk
Tashalar or Samarach; lands that have only been properly detailed in the Serpent Kingdoms book in 3rd edition.
That's exactly why I think it would be a good idea to place a drow settlement in Tashalar or Samarach: they haven't been fully explored, so something new could crop up there without it seeming like a total retcon. Chult, meanwhile, was exhaustively detailed in 5E's Tomb of Annihilation, which even included a hex-map of Chult. Players could explore the entire jungle, including the interior, hex by hex. Kind of odd that no one would have discovered a settlement of drow during that time.
deserk Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 21:46:48
Chult isn't the most terrible place to put them, since it is the largest jungle in Faerun. There are also wild elves that are purported to live there, though there is virtually no information on them. Also truth be told, I think the current WotC staff as well as RAS are far more aware of what Chult is, than Tashalar or Samarach. I seriously doubt either the current staff or RAS know next to anything about Tashalar or Samarach; lands that have only been properly detailed in the Serpent Kingdoms book in 3rd edition.

Also, given the vastness of Chult and the remoteness of it's interior, it's not implausible for no one to have known about jungle dwelling drow there. It's also doubtful that there are any drow settlements in the Serpent Deeps (the Underdark domain beneath the Chultan Peninsula), since many parts of it are volcanic and inhospitable to drow, and are swarming with firenewts and other reptilian creatures, thus knowledge of a surface drow culture wouldn't have transmitted from one culturally typical drow city to another.

Chult isn't also as politically dominated by Yuan-ti clans like the Mhair and Black Jungle.
HighOne Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 16:49:11
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Where do we think these “southern jungles” are for the lorendrow?

Samarach or Tashalar. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be Chult, but I think that's the wrong way to go for a number of reasons.
sleyvas Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 16:01:50
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't think we'll be exploring unknown lands, for these nudrow* cities or communities.

Part of that is the "creative" mandates I've already decried more than once, but part of it is also the fact that the further away from the Sword Coast and Heartlands they put these nudrow, the less relevant they are.

WotC has been keeping the focus on one area of the Realms, and they're going to want these nudrow to be accessible and relevant to that area.

(Besides, if they put the nudrow in previously unknown lands, that puts pressure on them to add more to those lands -- and the current "creative" mandate goes against that.)

*In Shadowrun, the primary currency is "nuyen" -- inspired by the "new yen" in Neuromancer. I am now dubbing these new flavors of drow "nudrow" because it amuses me and it's an easy shorthand.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't propose it (and I know you get this, but I'm kind of posting my "why" to forestall naysaying statements). We are the customers and so long as we give them a WAY to do it without pigeonholing them, it can give them a way to write things in a way that maybe they hadn't thought about.

So, if they want to put these drow in Chult, as I said, it can be a new group that's expanding from elsewhere. It could also be Nimbral returning with some of them there that expanded while on Abeir. It could also be in the Chondalwood, with them returning from Abeir as well. When we discuss ideas for where from, we're giving them a general direction that they can put in hints for.

IF this concept just blows up, AND they decide they want to explore it further for the cash cow "hey, we have a new take on drow, buy this book, its not the same thing as the other underdark books about drow"..... they can expand. If they don't want to explore it, they then leave an avenue open for people to develop. They MIGHT (doubt it) but MIGHT decide that the best path to explore opening up a new continent is via a novel series too. That might allow for development of select areas but allow for further growth later.

But in the end, I don't think saying "these drow have always been in Chult but noone ever knew about them" or "these drow were in Chondalwood, but noone ever knew about them" is the way to go. Better that maybe there used to be some portal connecting them to wherever. They may do it, but ultimately, I think we can show them why its better to be less definitive. That is how we ended up with "all drow are Lolth worshippers and they all have matron mothers with snake whips".

EDIT: And in thinking for a second about the above ... possibly multiple DIFFERENT groups of these "jungle drow" are suddenly appearing in different areas of Faerun (i.e. Chult, Chondalwood, Nimbral) because of the second sundering.... but different CULTURES of these jungle drow. They don't have to be from the same area even... some might be from East Katashaka. Others might be from islands east of Zakhara, etc.... In other words, it can open up a whole can of change possibilities that don't need to be large in scale. Some of them MIGHT be showing up down in dinosaur lands of Unther even, as there were some drow there as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 15:11:56
I don't think we'll be exploring unknown lands, for these nudrow* cities or communities.

Part of that is the "creative" mandates I've already decried more than once, but part of it is also the fact that the further away from the Sword Coast and Heartlands they put these nudrow, the less relevant they are.

WotC has been keeping the focus on one area of the Realms, and they're going to want these nudrow to be accessible and relevant to that area.

(Besides, if they put the nudrow in previously unknown lands, that puts pressure on them to add more to those lands -- and the current "creative" mandate goes against that.)

*In Shadowrun, the primary currency is "nuyen" -- inspired by the "new yen" in Neuromancer. I am now dubbing these new flavors of drow "nudrow" because it amuses me and it's an easy shorthand.
sleyvas Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 14:46:32
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

Chult is the obvious place here, at least if we are talking about Faerűn.

No offense, but I vote no on this unless its a faction "moving in from elsewhere". Chult is its own thing, and there is so much of the world that's unexplored. If there's some faction of dark elves that noone's seen before, then put it somewhere unexplored. Especially if its far from the coast of Toril, it could explain why noone has documented them.

Admittedly, I've only been thinking about this for a couple days since I looked into this new idea... but... looking at this map for reference

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Osse?file=Toril-3e.jpg

There's the BIG "Unknown Lands" that's separate but directly below Maztica. Most of us have been calling that Katashaka. Then there's a smaller "continent" that's almost as big as Maztica and Lopango put together that has absolutely nothing written on it (and some other homebrew maps have labeled this place tabaxiland). I've recently been calling that place "East Katashaka" because there's some contention on which of the two is "actually Katashaka", and my contention is that at one point they were the same place before the smaller separated from the former.

I vote we go with the smaller "continent" that has no name on it.

Now, I would also add, that's not the ONLY place I would put them. If they're supposed to be a presence similar to Lolth's drow, and especially going with my ideas of stealing dead goddess, Kiga the Predator, from Zakhara... then maybe heading a little east from there into the islands of the corsairs of the great sea off Zakhar's west coast... after all these islands may not JUST be corsairs and there's a lot of them. I'd further say that maybe the islands south of Zakhara in the Crowded Sea as well (possibly even some "off the map" of the Zakhara map... so further south... as the scholar's guide map indicates the crowded sea might be bigger than we even imagine with one really big island that isn't shown on the Zakhar map just a little further south and "mid" the line up the middle of Zakhara). There may also be some clans/tribes/families in the "bigger" Katashaka, and maybe even Osse.

so that gives us
A) East Katashaka
B) "Corsair Isles"/"Utter East Isles" off the Western Coast of Zakhara
C) Islands of the Utter South... and further south of those which may not be discovered... in the Crowded Sea of Zakhara.
D) Katashaka itself as a small faction
E) Osse as maybe a "lost tribe" that grew?

I further think it might be a decent idea to have a link between somewhere in this and Eberron, to have the jungle drow there having either come from there or vice versa. Not entirely sold on that though.

I think in spreading these drow out, we can also have them interacting with other cultures in different way. For instance, in the place I'm calling "East Katashaka" they might interact with the natives who became the tabaxi of Chult. In the islands off Zakhara's west coast, maybe there's an island group of "water and air bender" cultures with a bit of a Polynesian feel. South of Zakhara maybe they have to deal with the Zakharan cultures.

I'd also like to see less human domination in other areas of Toril. That being said, I don't necessarily want to see drow domination either. But some dark elves that have to live alongside some cat folk could be interesting (or who are in conflict with them as well). Maybe even some black jaguar folk are actually drow who were changed by their god long ago, or some lyncanthropic drow who change into cats. Having both good and despicable factions amongst these drow can be good, possibly some being similar to Lolth's drow and taking slaves, but not living under the earth. It makes for a good thing for player's to hate on.

Also, as an added factor into all this... remember this is all after the second sundering. Some of these drow may have spent the last hundred years in Abeir. Their culture may even be divided where PORTIONS of them went to Abeir and have returned. We have a lot of potential to play with here, so the key would be don't make them generic. That's kind of what happened with Lolth's drow and people got upset because "all drow are like this". Take the opportunity to develop different groups and different views, but all possibly having come from a similar past that expanded.

BTW, I'm throwing out any idea that's coming to my head in the above to open discussion. I'm not married to anything, but I find if someone doesn't throw something out... it doesn't go anywhere.
Zeromaru X Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 05:17:17
quote:

Chult is the obvious place here, at least if we are talking about Faerűn.
keftiu Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 05:01:20
CorellonsDevout Posted - 01 Jul 2021 : 01:42:36
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

So, Aevendrow are in the "far north" somewhere where its frozen, in some city that's called Callidae. Now, that doesn't mean directly north of Faerun. It could be the continent known as Aurune, and perhaps these drow worshipped "Aurilandur the Frost Sprite Queen". We have several things we can do with that. First is that the snow elves from dragon magazine lore worshipped Tarsellis, an outcast Seldarine who "got involved" with someone who may or may not have been Lolth, but who betrayed the Seldarine. Her name in the original article was noted as Megwandir. Over in Anchorome there are the Poscadari elves, who supposedly came from somewhere with ice and snow and don't speak the elven language of the elves of Evermeet. I'd hate to have them be the descendants of these aevendrow directly, but the idea that Tarsellis was involved with the aevendrow and led his people elsewhere DOES work for me (and there may be some aevendrow blood in their ancestry). In fact, if Aurilandur and Megwandir might be one and the same, one could come up with a good story in which Tarsellis and Aurilandur become involves, she betrays him, and her "son" Rellavar Danuvien, now known as King of the Frost Sprites, ascends to a higher rank and it puts a little kink in the relationship between Rellavar and Tarsellis (who are said to have once been close friends, but are somewhat estranged now). To note, both Rellavar and Tarsellis are more D&D canon now with Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes including them in something more than dragon mag articles. There's also hints of some elves in the High Ice of Anauroch, so there might be some of these drow there. In fact, I wonder if this future "starlight enclave" book by R.A. Salvatore might not be going there, since I don't see him leaving the continent.

The Lorendrow meanwhile are "far to the south in jungles".I'd personally make this in the continent south of Maztica or one of the smaller continent to its east.

This would be interesting - though with the geography, it would suggest Aevendrow come in part at least from the survivors of Miyeritar - suggesting Eilistraee could be also worshipped by Aevendrow, or at least remembered as a mythical figure. Though seeing R.A. Salvatore's seeming dislike of Eilistraee, I think Aurilandur (especially that extreme North is her domain and Sossrim worship a more benevolent aspect of her), Tarsellis Meunniduin, and Rellavar Danuvien are more probable to be worshipped solelly. (Though it's possible there won't be a focus on religion to much, at least in the Starlight Enclave novel, as R.A. Salvatore has a kinda dim view of gods).

Poscadari elves could be descended from a mixed population of Wild Elves and Aevendrow, having a language closer to "Aevendrowic". Both groups are ultimatelly descendants of the original Green Elves curiously.

Yeah, I don't expect RAS to touch on Eilistraee. I saw a recent Tweet from him that basically amounted to "sure, some of them may worship Eilistraee, and other gods, but I'm not going to go in to that." Those weren't his exact words, but that's what it amounted to.

It does look like there was a recently revealed MtG card of a follower of Eilistraee, so...hopefully, even though RAS continues to turn up his nose at her, WotC won't.
TheIriaeban Posted - 25 Jun 2021 : 16:56:59
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Instead of a book, it looks like they are going to release a free adventure. Here is where I found this information:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/free-dungeons-dragons-adventure-on-the-way-to-celebrate-magic-crossover/ar-AALoCLu?ocid=msedgntp

"Wizards made the announcement earlier this month during a private press event."

Anyone have a link to this? I'm at work and my ability to look at gaming stuff is quite limited.

I have dug around and couldn't find any Wizard's source for this. When they say that it was private, they mean that they hit everyone with a Forget spell afterwards and only the people making a save was able to walk out knowing about it.
Baltas Posted - 25 Jun 2021 : 16:53:52
quote:

So, Aevendrow are in the "far north" somewhere where its frozen, in some city that's called Callidae. Now, that doesn't mean directly north of Faerun. It could be the continent known as Aurune, and perhaps these drow worshipped "Aurilandur the Frost Sprite Queen". We have several things we can do with that. First is that the snow elves from dragon magazine lore worshipped Tarsellis, an outcast Seldarine who "got involved" with someone who may or may not have been Lolth, but who betrayed the Seldarine. Her name in the original article was noted as Megwandir. Over in Anchorome there are the Poscadari elves, who supposedly came from somewhere with ice and snow and don't speak the elven language of the elves of Evermeet. I'd hate to have them be the descendants of these aevendrow directly, but the idea that Tarsellis was involved with the aevendrow and led his people elsewhere DOES work for me (and there may be some aevendrow blood in their ancestry). In fact, if Aurilandur and Megwandir might be one and the same, one could come up with a good story in which Tarsellis and Aurilandur become involves, she betrays him, and her "son" Rellavar Danuvien, now known as King of the Frost Sprites, ascends to a higher rank and it puts a little kink in the relationship between Rellavar and Tarsellis (who are said to have once been close friends, but are somewhat estranged now). To note, both Rellavar and Tarsellis are more D&D canon now with Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes including them in something more than dragon mag articles. There's also hints of some elves in the High Ice of Anauroch, so there might be some of these drow there. In fact, I wonder if this future "starlight enclave" book by R.A. Salvatore might not be going there, since I don't see him leaving the continent.

The Lorendrow meanwhile are "far to the south in jungles".I'd personally make this in the continent south of Maztica or one of the smaller continent to its east.

This would be interesting - though with the geography, it would suggest Aevendrow come in part at least from the survivors of Miyeritar - suggesting Eilistraee could be also worshipped by Aevendrow, or at least remembered as a mythical figure. Though seeing R.A. Salvatore's seeming dislike of Eilistraee, I think Aurilandur (especially that extreme North is her domain and Sossrim worship a more benevolent aspect of her), Tarsellis Meunniduin, and Rellavar Danuvien are more probable to be worshipped solelly. (Though it's possible there won't be a focus on religion to much, at least in the Starlight Enclave novel, as R.A. Salvatore has a kinda dim view of gods).

Poscadari elves could be descended from a mixed population of Wild Elves and Aevendrow, having a language closer to "Aevendrowic". Both groups are ultimatelly descendants of the original Green Elves curiously.
sleyvas Posted - 25 Jun 2021 : 00:37:12
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

quote:

Yes they are doing something with the Drow, we have the new art for the Drow and their new cities showing that, but it's for the new FR setting book of course.

Except for the minor fact that -- as stated repeatedly over the last 9 pages -- there is nothing at all that indicates there is going to be another setting book for the Realms. A drow/Underdark book covers what they promised for revisiting a setting, without being the setting book that they haven't indicated they're doing.

Even if there was going to be a new FR setting book, they're obviously putting a large focus on drow, here -- which isn't something they'd do for a book that covers the whole setting.

They already did a Drow focused book, Out of the Abyss.

Exploring the new lore for Aevendrow, Lorendrow, and Udadrow isn't going to take a whole chapter, never mind the whole book. And it's one FR change a variety likely.

Where are these 3 new terms for various drow coming from? I have only started seeing them in the last couple months, and I'm not sure of the meaning of the differences.

https://dnd.wizards.com/story/legend-of-drizzt

and

https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2021/05/21/beyond-the-underdark-secrets-of-the-drow/content.html

It seems that the terms are what is going to be used to describe drow from the three 'city states' going forward: "aevendrow" are from Callidae, "lorendrow" are from Saekolath, and "udadrow" are from Menzoberranzan.

Hmmm, so just to save others the hunting, from legendofdrizzt.com... and I'll put my take at the end

Aevendrow
Even as some of their kin followed Lolth down to the Underdark, many drow elves rejected her, remaining true to their innate integrity. One band ventured north, vanishing from history behind curtains of snow, aurora, and illusion. They became the Aevendrow—or Starlight Elves—a highly secretive clan steeped in powerful magic.

The Aevendrow remain untainted by Lolth’s influence, and life in Callidae is radically different from that of oppressive Menzoberranzan. Yet, though many would rejoice to see it, almost no one—including the longest-lived elves—can quite remember its existence.

Lorendrow
Head far enough south and one enters the territory of the Lorendrow, or “Greenshadow Elves.” Far from the Spider Queen and her terrors, the Lorendrow draw their wisdom from their environment: the generosity of earth; the mystery of sky; and the complex harmony of forest.

Their verdant city is Saekolath—“Place of Shade”—and it wends between towering trees and chattering rivers. Even the most knowledgeable bard would be hard-pressed to sing its histories, and few northern adventurers have ever reached its borders.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Jun 2021 : 21:07:58
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Instead of a book, it looks like they are going to release a free adventure. Here is where I found this information:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/free-dungeons-dragons-adventure-on-the-way-to-celebrate-magic-crossover/ar-AALoCLu?ocid=msedgntp

"Wizards made the announcement earlier this month during a private press event."

Anyone have a link to this? I'm at work and my ability to look at gaming stuff is quite limited.
TheIriaeban Posted - 24 Jun 2021 : 19:31:30

TKU Posted - 17 Jun 2021 : 14:53:17
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes they are doing something with the Drow, we have the new art for the Drow and their new cities showing that, but it's for the new FR setting book of course.

Except for the minor fact that -- as stated repeatedly over the last 9 pages -- there is nothing at all that indicates there is going to be another setting book for the Realms. A drow/Underdark book covers what they promised for revisiting a setting, without being the setting book that they haven't indicated they're doing.

Even if there was going to be a new FR setting book, they're obviously putting a large focus on drow, here -- which isn't something they'd do for a book that covers the whole setting.

Exploring the new lore for Aevendrow, Lorendrow, and Udadrow isn't going to take a whole chapter, never mind the whole book. And it's one FR change a variety likely.

Where are these 3 new terms for various drow coming from? I have only started seeing them in the last couple months, and I'm not sure of the meaning of the differences.

https://dnd.wizards.com/story/legend-of-drizzt

and

https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2021/05/21/beyond-the-underdark-secrets-of-the-drow/content.html

It seems that the terms are what is going to be used to describe drow from the three 'city states' going forward: "aevendrow" are from Callidae, "lorendrow" are from Saekolath, and "udadrow" are from Menzoberranzan.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Jun 2021 : 12:35:04
quote:

quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jun 2021 : 02:18:55
quote:

quote:

quote:

If it was a setting book, the drow would get maybe two pages, at most. You don't need retcons and artwork like this for two pages.

And prior editions had multiple drow books -- again, at least nine across three editions.

Besides, Out of the Abyss was more about demons and such than drow.
Gyor Posted - 17 Jun 2021 : 00:03:47
quote:

quote:

keftiu Posted - 16 Jun 2021 : 23:50:48
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

I thought the late 3.5ed years gave us all the drow (and Netherese shades) to last us all two plus decades. Hard pass.

I quite liked the Shadovar as one of the main baddies of 4e, alongside the Thayans.
Delnyn Posted - 16 Jun 2021 : 23:37:11
quote:

I thought the late 3.5ed years gave us all the drow (and Netherese shades) to last us all two plus decades. Hard pass.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jun 2021 : 18:29:38
quote:

HighOne Posted - 16 Jun 2021 : 18:26:10
Whatever the upcoming setting books are, we have to wait until 2022 to get them. So even if you think a new FRCS is possible (and I do), it's hard to get excited about something that far into the future. I'm more interested in the October release and finding out what it is.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jun 2021 : 18:25:45
quote:

quote:

quote:

As keftiu pointed out, the Eberron book was anything but comprehensive. Wizards could easily do another setting book that covered the other continents.

And just because Exandria and Ravenloft were covered recently doesn't mean Wizards won't cover them again. They've already shown a heroic capacity for not giving people what they want -- why would they stop now?

And as I commented, a good chunk of Ravenloft wasn't covered -- so it is most definitely a possibility.

And since they've not said this new book would be a setting book, it still remains a possibility that it's some expansion other than a setting book -- like a book of drow.

They book could have covered them had it been as large as the Eberron one, this tells me anything not covered or barely covered was by design, at least for now they have no intentions of covering. That maybe change in the fullness of time, but not for several years at least.

The design may have been the plans for a second book.
Gyor Posted - 16 Jun 2021 : 17:36:05
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

With the 5e approach, I highly doubt they'd go for a book with a focus as narrow as 1 single race. At most, they're going to cover the new and revised versions of all the races that are deemed problematic (but I don't think they'll ever bother to rework orcs and others). I think they might go for a drow adventure and give a little info about the new drow cities, much like Storm King did with the North.

I suggest a book of drow as a possibility for two reasons:

1) We already know they're doing something with drow

2) Drow are something they just keep coming back to. We've had multiple books on drow and/or the areas they live in -- adventures, hardcovers, softcovers, and boxed sets, in 2E, 3.x, and 4E. A 5E book covering drow, Menzoberranzan, and/or the Underdark in general is inevitable.

Seriously, just off the top of my head:

The Drow of the Underdark 2E
Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark 2E
Menzoberranzan Boxed Set 2E
Drow of the Underdark 3E
Underdark 3E
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits 3E
City of the Spider Queen 3E
Menzoberranzan, City of Intrigue 4E

That's 8 times they've gone to that particular well, either for sourcebooks or adventures.

The question isn't IF we're going to see another drow book, the question is WHEN.

Gyor Posted - 16 Jun 2021 : 17:33:11
quote:

quote:

As keftiu pointed out, the Eberron book was anything but comprehensive. Wizards could easily do another setting book that covered the other continents.

And just because Exandria and Ravenloft were covered recently doesn't mean Wizards won't cover them again. They've already shown a heroic capacity for not giving people what they want -- why would they stop now?

And as I commented, a good chunk of Ravenloft wasn't covered -- so it is most definitely a possibility.

And since they've not said this new book would be a setting book, it still remains a possibility that it's some expansion other than a setting book -- like a book of drow.

They book could have covered them had it been as large as the Eberron one, this tells me anything not covered or barely covered was by design, at least for now they have no intentions of covering. That maybe change in the fullness of time, but not for several years at least.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jun 2021 : 15:47:21
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

I suggest a book of drow as a possibility for two reasons:

It wouldn't fit the 5e model at all, though. An Underdark book that also includes drow? I can see it. A book that puts together all the reworks for the various problematic races? Maybe. A book about only drow? Doesn't seem like 5e at all. And I mean, you'd have to go very in depth to fill a book with just drow lore, like Ed did in "The Drow of the Underdark", where he gave an overview of ALL the drow factions and even went to the point of doing things like detailing how their hydraulics works. Not going to happen in 5e.

Again, though, they're already working on something drow-related, with the avendrow and eurodrow and megadrow or whatever they're calling all these things.

And they've been revisiting prior stuff, with entirely new spins and utter disregard for prior information -- and that most definitely has been a 5E thing. They've done it for settings and for various critters, like some of the bizarre stuff they came up with for Volo's Guide to Monsters.

Plus, they don't have to go in-depth for lore, because they're going to be giving us statblocks/monster entries for all these new flavors of drow. We're going to have avendrow wizard and megadrow fighter and eurodrow barrista and a thousand other variations as monster entries. We're going to get new backgrounds, and new feats, and re-skinned spells and magical items, and slightly tweaked character classes...

We've had at least 9 drow or Underdark books across three editions, we know they're working with drow again, and we know they don't care about anything that was done before.

Something like this may not fit the current 5E mold -- but what is this mold? They keep showing everything they can into one setting for adventures, while putting out other settings that they never touch again.

If it's not The Book of MOAR DROW!, then it's going to be Underdark (But Really Drow!).

WotC will never pass up an opportunity to revisit this well. They've been doing it for 30 years.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000