Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shuruppak: just not the one you're thinking about

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 16 Apr 2021 : 10:59:07
Dear Sages,

it's been a long time since I asked you a question.

In my recent studies I came across a specific map, namely the wonderful map of Chessenta included in the Backdrop: Chessenta article in Dungeon 178 (pages 68-77, map on 72).

In the right part of the map, over the border of Chessenta, on the northern shores of the Methmere, we can find a place named Shuruppak.

Yes, Shuruppak, as the "The Reaper", chosen of Gilgeam and so on.

I find it interesting, as Unther should be on Abeir in 1480 (present day of the article).
I searched on other books and maps: none of it displayed this city.
The only "nearby" cities - with a possible similar names - I found on maps are Shussel (3e campaign guide) and Sadamzar (Dragon 358 map, no info on it)

Do any of you have any info on it? Or should i consider it as an oversight/mistake by the cartographer?

Or maybe, in that specific moment in time, it was the pinpointed location of the actual Shuruppak, the Reaper, wandering as a madman?
(was he even still alive, in 1480?!)

Thank you for your help.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 01 May 2021 : 17:19:53
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

Onore Zasshu????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX9LK8AS-pM

Some new japanime thing with Gilgamesh in it?

The Fate series Gilgamesh has been around for at least a decade. He's fairly true to his mythological incarnation, right down to his murderous hatred for Ishtar and the taking down of the Bull of Heaven.

ah, gotcha, and apparently some of its on netwflix... may look at it. Thanks.
LordofBones Posted - 01 May 2021 : 15:49:10
quote:

quote:

quote:

Onore Zasshu????

The Fate series Gilgamesh has been around for at least a decade. He's fairly true to his mythological incarnation, right down to his murderous hatred for Ishtar and the taking down of the Bull of Heaven.

sleyvas Posted - 01 May 2021 : 13:23:07
quote:

quote:

Onore Zasshu????

Zeromaru X Posted - 01 May 2021 : 01:34:36
quote:

Onore Zasshu????

sleyvas Posted - 01 May 2021 : 00:55:50
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The Untheric pantheon is the Babylonian pantheon, even if Gilgeam is a less-awesome Gilgamesh, whether the original flavor or the "ONORE ZASSHU!" one.

Onore Zasshu????
LordofBones Posted - 30 Apr 2021 : 04:12:28
The Untheric pantheon is the Babylonian pantheon, even if Gilgeam is a less-awesome Gilgamesh, whether the original flavor or the "ONORE ZASSHU!" one.
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 27 Apr 2021 : 15:03:15
quote:

just to note as well, if you look at much of Erin's work on Tymanther, they had several names that one would consider related to ancient Sumerian/Mesopotamian/Babylonian mythology amongst the dragonborn. By that, I mean Dumuzi is a name of a god who was the husband of Inanna, but also the name of the dragonborn who became the "chosen" of Enlil. I want to say I noted several other lifts of that sort which would almost seem to provide a link between the Untheric people and the dragonborn. Throw on top of all this that Shuruppak is a city name in OUR world in the same region that draws into the religion of Unther.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuruppak

So, as odd as it may sound, the two cultures may actually have some kind of "hidden" link between them and for some reason share names. Not necessarily where I'd go with things, but it could be done.

Yes, I stumbled too on Our Shuruppak and went "UH?!" for a while.
Zeromaru X Posted - 19 Apr 2021 : 20:01:15
Interesting enough, the real life city of Shuruppak was a place of healing and stuff. Quite the contrast with our murderhobbo friend here.
LordofBones Posted - 19 Apr 2021 : 04:56:41
Sherlie was a nice, sweet, gentle little bookworm before the other kids' teasing got too much and drove him straight into the arms of evil. It's why he had those wizard levels before he became a fighter with an edgy mask and an oversized butterknife for a weapon.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Apr 2021 : 04:01:24
Option 4:

Shuruppak the Reaper was born in Shuruppak the village. Thing is, he was actually named Sherlie. Obviously, this is not a name that inspires fear... So when someone once mistook the name of the village for his name, Sherlie decided that Shuruppak was a better name and never corrected the guy.

Thus, Sherlie of Shuruppak grew up to be Shuruppak the Reaper, and a lot of people didn't get to live happily ever after.

Zeromaru X Posted - 19 Apr 2021 : 02:06:08
Well, this gives us option 3:

This town has nothing to do with The Reaper, and is named after some dragonborn named Shuruppak...
sleyvas Posted - 18 Apr 2021 : 15:54:21
just to note as well, if you look at much of Erin's work on Tymanther, they had several names that one would consider related to ancient Sumerian/Mesopotamian/Babylonian mythology amongst the dragonborn. By that, I mean Dumuzi is a name of a god who was the husband of Inanna, but also the name of the dragonborn who became the "chosen" of Enlil. I want to say I noted several other lifts of that sort which would almost seem to provide a link between the Untheric people and the dragonborn. Throw on top of all this that Shuruppak is a city name in OUR world in the same region that draws into the religion of Unther.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuruppak

So, as odd as it may sound, the two cultures may actually have some kind of "hidden" link between them and for some reason share names. Not necessarily where I'd go with things, but it could be done.
Zeromaru X Posted - 18 Apr 2021 : 00:12:50
quote:
Originally posted by Portuguese D. Ace

I think that in 1480 it could have been strange that the town kept its "original" name: i think Tymantherans (dragonborns) pretty much colonized the entire region - usually over ruins of the past.

Yeah, they colonized most of old Unther, but they advanced more to the south (Greenlands and the frontier with Mulhorand), and the north was just sparsely populated (just farmsteads, according to the novels). So there are two options:

-The dragonborn colonized the town and for some reason left its original name.
-The town is inhabited by humans, as we know the Untherans who survived the Spellplague and weren't sent to Abeir, they left their lands and settled near Chessenta. Shuruppak may be a town were the descendants of these Untherans live.
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 17 Apr 2021 : 14:42:50
quote:

Oh wow, that's a great find. I'd pretty much assume that its a town named after him. Maybe with his ruler gone he decided it was his time to be king or something, and he established a city meant for only those strong enough to live there?

Thank you!
I never meddled much with Chessenta before, but using that fantastic Backdrop article i stumbled upon this (and also the nearby town of Maugor... not interesting as Shuruppak, but unkwnown nontheless).

Now I used the area as a starting point for a campaign (and fell in love with Luthcheq lore); the group just crossed the Heptios river and is bound to "Shuruppak".

Only the gods know what they will find there.
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 17 Apr 2021 : 14:39:38
quote:

Sadly, there is not much info of this area in specific. And yes, this region would be part of northern Tymanther in 1480, but since the article about Tymanther got cancelled, we never got any lore about this region.

My guess is that this town was named after Shuruppak for some reason or another. Perhaps is the site where he died or was seen for the last time before the Spellplague, or something like that.

Thank you for your reply!
It's sad that that article got cancelled, it could have been great.

I think that in 1480 it could have been strange that the town kept its "original" name: i think Tymantherans (dragonborns) pretty much colonized the entire region - usually over ruins of the past.

I very much like the idea this was his final resting place - maybe where he fought his last battle.
Dragonborns respect might, maybe they even erected a mausoleum, there...
sleyvas Posted - 17 Apr 2021 : 01:36:21
Oh wow, that's a great find. I'd pretty much assume that its a town named after him. Maybe with his ruler gone he decided it was his time to be king or something, and he established a city meant for only those strong enough to live there?
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Apr 2021 : 01:35:42
Sadly, there is not much info of this area in specific. And yes, this region would be part of northern Tymanther in 1480, but since the article about Tymanther got cancelled, we never got any lore about this region.

My guess is that this town was named after Shuruppak for some reason or another. Perhaps is the site where he died or was seen for the last time before the Spellplague, or something like that.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000