Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 The Ghosts of Saltmarsh May 2019

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brimstone Posted - 25 Feb 2019 : 01:38:24
Saw this at EnWorld today. Ghost of Saltmarsh
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rymac Posted - 09 Jul 2019 : 02:53:52
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Funny you say that because that's the area they suggest in the book. The politics from Thornhold make getting help to them difficult and they suggest the smugglers be from Luskan.

When I made that prediction, it wasn't a great leap in logic that's where the suggested location would be to place it. Eric Boyd used the location for a series of adventures that ran in Dungeon Magazine.
Diffan Posted - 09 Jul 2019 : 00:46:42
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I am sorely tempted to drop it Near the the Mere of Dead Men North of Waterdeep and Merge Ghosts of Saltmarsh with Eric Boyds Mere of Dead Men 5 part series from Dungeon magazine... Myrkul's got a presence in Eric's Dungeon Adventures and then there's this from Ghost of Saltmarsh description on WOTC "The cult of a forbidden god extends its reach outward from a decaying port, hungry for fresh victims and willing recruits..."

Guess who the forbidden Cults going to be in my campaign? ;-p I mean WOTC still havent explained Myrkuls return yet soooooo

If it is shoehorned into the Forgotten Realms, my first thought was it'll be placed in the Mere of Dead Men. 5th Edition is all about the Sword Coast, it's the logical place if they keep updating old Greyhawk modules and placing them in the Realms.

Funny you say that because that's the area they suggest in the book. The politics from Thornhold make getting help to them difficult and they suggest the smugglers be from Luskan.
Bragi Posted - 08 Jul 2019 : 10:30:48
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'd set it on the Wizards Reach near Murbant for a pre-1357 DR timeline (before Thay takes them over) or after the Sundering and Szass Tam's takeover when I would postulate that Thay loses control over that region. Near a swamp, near a sahuagin kingdom and in a city renowned for smuggling. Perfect.

-- George Krashos

I'm inclined to place it near Thay as well. I want to fit it as closely as I can to the Grayhawk setting. The Scarlett Brotherhood is listed as being one of the three factions. They are members of the Suel race who believe that their race is superior to all others. Sounds a lot like Thay and the Mulan. So my first criteria is that it must be somewhere near Thay but not adjacent to Thay. Saltmarsh is near the Scarlett Brotherhood but not adjacent to.

1. Relatively near Thay

Saltmarch is near the Hool marshes where Sahuagin and Lizard Folk live. We know that the Wizard's Reach area is teeming with Sahuagin and there is a large swamp near Thay called the Adderswamp.

2. Near the Adderswamp

Saltmarch has around 5,000 residents so a town of comparable size would be preferable. Lutcheq has a population between 30k and 50k so it's too large. Soorenar is also near the Adderswamp but it has a standing army of 5,000 so it's likely much too large. Pandrik is a town of 6,500 on the southern edge of the Adderswamp. It has a tentative truce with Luthcheq so this would fit in well with the two other factions (traditionalists and loyalists).

3. Town of Pandrik

--- other considerations ---

Saltmarsh in Grayhawk is in a sub-tropical climate and isn't that far from the vast unexplored region of the Amedio Jungle. The closest equilivant would be the Mhair Jungles.

4. Coastal city between Thay and the Mhair Jungle.

The city would need to be a good location for smuggling. The Adderswamp would be an ideal place for smugglers to hide. Most would avoid the dangerous swamp but the few that could navigate through would be able to make their way to Pandrik.

5. Good for smuggling

As described in the book, there are small halfling villages scattered throughout the Saltmarsh region. In the Adderswamp there is the halfling settlement of Ursuma.

6. Halfling settlements nearby

There are dwarven mines nearby. The Maerwatch is stated to have long been mined by Chessentans. While it doesn't explicitly mention dwarves its not a stretch to imagine that those Chessentas are mostly dwarves. There is the small settlement of Tulach mentioned with a king. This could be a city of dwarves.

7. Dwarven mines nearby

Saltmarsh is described as being located twenty miles from two larger towns. Pandrik is near Luthcheq and Soorenar.

8. Near larger towns.

I can understand why WotC choose the recommended location. It is near a swamp and in an area of the realms where more people will be familiar with. It is also close to locations of other 5e adventures.

However, I don't think it fits in well with the Greyhawk vision of Saltmarsh. The recommended location is too far North, it is too well-traveled and it is nowhere near a Scarlett Brotherhood equivalent.

I think that Pandrik is the ideal choice for the location of Saltmarsh.

If I didn't want it to be in Pandrik, other alternatives I'd consider are: Volothamp, Theymarsh (in the border kingdoms), Surthay, or Murbant.
George Krashos Posted - 02 Mar 2019 : 07:39:11
Oooh Dargoth, good call.

— George Krashos
Dargoth Posted - 02 Mar 2019 : 04:51:22
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

I am sorely tempted to drop it Near the the Mere of Dead Men North of Waterdeep and Merge Ghosts of Saltmarsh with Eric Boyds Mere of Dead Men 5 part series from Dungeon magazine... Myrkul's got a presence in Eric's Dungeon Adventures and then there's this from Ghost of Saltmarsh description on WOTC "The cult of a forbidden god extends its reach outward from a decaying port, hungry for fresh victims and willing recruits..."

Guess who the forbidden Cults going to be in my campaign? ;-p I mean WOTC still havent explained Myrkuls return yet soooooo

If it is shoehorned into the Forgotten Realms, my first thought was it'll be placed in the Mere of Dead Men. 5th Edition is all about the Sword Coast, it's the logical place if they keep updating old Greyhawk modules and placing them in the Realms.

Im seriously thinking of making Saltmarsh in the Realms Thronhold from Elaines novel of the same name I never realised how close Thornhold was to the coast, the Castle it self is on a hill so maybe the town has developed at the bottom of the Hill on the Coast in the last 100 years.. and you could even make Thornhold Castle the Haunted House from U1.....
George Krashos Posted - 02 Mar 2019 : 00:34:20
I'd set it on the Wizards Reach near Murbant for a pre-1357 DR timeline (before Thay takes them over) or after the Sundering and Szass Tam's takeover when I would postulate that Thay loses control over that region. Near a swamp, near a sahuagin kingdom and in a city renowned for smuggling. Perfect.

-- George Krashos
Rymac Posted - 01 Mar 2019 : 23:16:47
quote:

Diffan Posted - 27 Feb 2019 : 01:44:24
To quote the 3.5 DMG II supplement

"If your game uses the FORGOTTEN REALMS setting, Saltmarsh could
be located along the Sword Coast, a few days south of
Baldur’s Gate, or it could be nestled on the shores of
the Inner Sea, along the coast of Cormyr or Sembia."
Dargoth Posted - 27 Feb 2019 : 00:18:27
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

As a FR dungeon master…. I'd like to know how to plop the Saltmarsh locale/campaign into my 5E-era Faerunian world-setting…. and still make it look like a sensible transposition.

I am sorely tempted to drop it Near the the Mere of Dead Men North of Waterdeep and Merge Ghosts of Saltmrsh with Eric Boyds Mere of Dead Men 5 part series from Dungeon magazine... Myrkuls got a presense in Erics Dungeon Adventures and then theres this from Ghost of Saltmarsh description on WOTC "The cult of a forbidden god extends its reach outward from a decaying port, hungry for fresh victims and willing recruits..."

sleyvas Posted - 26 Feb 2019 : 20:28:55
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'd love to know how much of it is module, versus how much is rules. Rules I'm interested in. Converted adventures, not so much.

From what I've gathered, a lot of the book is Adventures that can take you from 1st to 12th level. Possibly very similar to tales of the yawning portal with some mixed in rules for seafaring.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. While I bought tales of the yawning portal, I can't say it was extremely useful. I've now got plenty of modules for 5e, and if I want more I can turn to DMs Guild. I really want some well founded rules to expand play that aren't just a rehash of stuff regarding using ships that we've seen in the previous editions. Not trying to gripe, but if its not going to be realmslore in the book, then I want rules. Nothing against GH mind you, just I don't have a stake in it.
moonbeast Posted - 26 Feb 2019 : 16:35:06
As a FR dungeon master…. I'd like to know how to plop the Saltmarsh locale/campaign into my 5E-era Faerunian world-setting…. and still make it look like a sensible transposition.
Diffan Posted - 26 Feb 2019 : 00:51:48
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'd love to know how much of it is module, versus how much is rules. Rules I'm interested in. Converted adventures, not so much.

From what I've gathered, a lot of the book is Adventures that can take you from 1st to 12th level. Possibly very similar to tales of the yawning portal with some mixed in rules for seafaring.
sleyvas Posted - 25 Feb 2019 : 23:47:45
George Krashos Posted - 25 Feb 2019 : 20:30:49
Hopefully it's still in Greyhawk.

-- George Krashos
moonbeast Posted - 25 Feb 2019 : 09:55:44

Saltmarsh setting was in…. Greyhawk?

Hmmm…..
Diffan Posted - 25 Feb 2019 : 03:53:21
Wow that's awesome!! Not ONLY do I have the original 1st edition adventure ( Sinister secret of saltmarsh) but I also have the 5th edition conversion to that Adventure! Further, I'm currently invested in flushing out my point of light campaign setting for 4E to which a big area was going to be dedicated to the town of saltmarsh (as detailed in the 3.5 dungeon Master's guide II). So a more updated map and area for this town is very welcoming news indeed!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000