Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Al-Qadim in 5th version FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LWhitehead1 Posted - 31 Mar 2018 : 06:52:27
Hi folks I just wondering if one of my Favorite sections of FR is ever going to have a 5th version upgrade?, and why does WOTC have such a hate againest it.

LW
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LWhitehead1 Posted - 10 Apr 2018 : 12:18:46
I have nothing against Calimshan Personally but I liked Al-Qadim for it's originality, Still I would like to Write some Official Novels that would have too update the History of Al-Qadim setting.

LW
moonbeast Posted - 10 Apr 2018 : 05:40:53
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

I think we are more likely to see a 5E publication about Amn-Tethyr-Calimshan than we are about Al-Qadim. Calimshan is somewhat close enough to the pseudo-Arabic/Turkish/Persian tropes of Al-Qadim.

I see Al-Qadim as "Arabian", and Calimshan as more "Turkish" flavour. With more of "something mixed with something else" and trying too hard.

No disagreement, as I have also read in other sources that Calimshan was originally meant more of a "Turkish" equivalent of the Realms. But in my 5E FR campaign, I'm going with a slight modification of Turkish-Persian Calimshan….. as the 5th Edition PHB itself gives sample Calishite names that sound more Persian than Turk. I know, I have several Iranian friends and neighbors.

And if one Googles the etymology of Pasha…. it is originally an Old Persian root word. And it shares the same root etymology from the base Persian word "shah", which may mean Lord or King (in later Persian kingdoms).
TBeholder Posted - 09 Apr 2018 : 12:30:18
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

I think we are more likely to see a 5E publication about Amn-Tethyr-Calimshan than we are about Al-Qadim. Calimshan is somewhat close enough to the pseudo-Arabic/Turkish/Persian tropes of Al-Qadim.

I see Al-Qadim as "Arabian", and Calimshan as more "Turkish" flavour. With more of "something mixed with something else" and trying too hard.
Gyor Posted - 02 Apr 2018 : 17:30:26
It does get mentioned in SCAG, so at least we know it still exists. I have been curious to know how the Spellplague and Sundering and ToT effected both Al Qadim, Kara Tur, and Maztica.
moonbeast Posted - 02 Apr 2018 : 03:11:26

And since Calimshan is much closer to the Sword Coast and Heartlands, it is the most likely thing we will ever see for a 5E "campaigns in turban-wearing hookah-smoking Genie-land".
LWhitehead1 Posted - 31 Mar 2018 : 15:11:17
Well the best way to introduced Al-Qadim to the rest of FR is in a Novel series, specially why he is up in Waterdeep. He is a Shiar a Non Zakain a child of the Heartlands that was stolen as a Child by Slavers, he was free by native heroes and shortly shown that he had skills in Genies Magic so he was sned to the City of Wands to educated in Magic as a Shair.

LW
Storyteller Hero Posted - 31 Mar 2018 : 13:59:05
I included paragraphs that describe the afterlife realms of a few Zakharan deities in my Silvanus deity lore pamphlet on DMsGuild. This part is non-canon filler, but written with the canon geography of the Deep Wilds as well as the published lore of the deities in mind.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/237278/SILVANUS-Keeper-of-Nature--Forgotten-Realms-5e

shades of eternity Posted - 31 Mar 2018 : 12:46:36
Wolfgang Bauer (or rather his company) did some stuff for Al-qadim.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/-Kobold-Press--5e-Al-Qadim-Genies--Elemental-Magic--Warlock-Lairs--and-more.html?soid=1103172662253&aid=CBJ8khO-uEY

he has a passion for the setting and was responsible for it in it's hayday, so might be useful and close at it gets.

sfdragon Posted - 31 Mar 2018 : 08:27:17
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171294/AlQadim-Classes-and-Backgrounds-5e
it is bad according to its reviews,

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/203765/Zakharan-Bestiary--Monsters-of-AlQadim
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/176752/Seers-of-Zakhara-AlQadim--Forgotten-Realms
these 2 atleast ahve more than 2 stars....

and as for as 5e goes, that is about it for Alqadin

sfdragon Posted - 31 Mar 2018 : 07:59:47
it is what johnlynch stated so.

no there is no significant 5e update to anything, a minor one to the realms but that is the scag( not including the adventure paths) and nothing of : greyhawk, karatur, al-qadim , planescape, spelljammer and ravenloft( except for that curse of strahd ap).

and for the moment, that does not look like that it will change. though you might can find some 3pp at the dms guild on it,
JohnLynch Posted - 31 Mar 2018 : 07:54:47
Unlikely. D&D 5th edition is getting a trickle of material from WotC. Just enough to claim the edition is supported and to entice players to play it and 3PPs to support it. Beyond the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide there has been no indication that any meaningful setting material will be published by WotC. The newest announced book (Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes) apparently has a Greyhawk slant to it, making it even less likely that Al Qadim will be visited.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000