Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A List of all Canon F.R. "Named" Spells ...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Crai Posted - 05 Jul 2017 : 18:30:24
My current large-scale F.R. project is to compile & list all the TSR/WotC-published "Named Spells" that have occurred in all their F.R. RPG products (including website sources) and canon novels.

For example, here's a few:

Kaupaer's Quickblast (Wotc Website 3E)
Halaster's Scrying Page (EtoU 3E)
Simbul's Synostodweomer (MoF 3E)
Carbury's Spectral Force (Netheril EoM 2E)
Filverel's Doorward (SotM 2E)

Plus, I've found this very comprehensive EnWorld thread to be of immense help in kickstarting this ambitious project:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?306088-List-of-Named-Spells

So I come to all of you fellow sages & scribes to see if any of you know of any existing Candlekeep resources or threads that have attacked such a similar project in the past. I've not had a lot of luck doing customized searches either here or on other web sites. Plus, my final project will be not only have all these spells listed and categorized, but also with some succinct-yet-useful commentary & sourcing about the spellcaster who created the spell(s). Whether it's Dathchaunt, Aksa or Elminster ... they'll all get a helpful biography entry.

Thanks for your time, attention and possible assistance!

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 16 Dec 2022 : 22:10:51
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

Well, Mystra wants magic shared,

Shared and developed further. Those are conflicting objectives.
Wizards who can just copy a spell mostly won't be willing to bother with developing their own solutions to the same problem.
Wizards who don't have much knowledge to use as a foundation for further development are very willing, but not very able.
From this point of view, the best situation is great amount of arcane lore being split. Then each wizard can get a nice pile of puzzle pieces to work with, but cannot find all desired ones easily enough to obviate most research, and often must tinker with available mostly-irrelevant lore.
Of course, scarcity/abundance are also balanced against simple survivability.
Thus, amount (and topology) of propagation is necessarily a matter of optimization, with criteria varying in response to existing circumstances.
quote:
Mystra is not overly concerned who gets "credit" for a spell.

Directly no, but this kind of glory obviously encourages some wizards. Therefore, desirable.
quote:
As has been stated by Ed and others, most spellcasters make their own version of the "common Players Handbook" spells. Gamewise they are not listed as WotC does not want to waste pages on custom spells.

Translations to a different personal script are omnipresent, but presumably changes are negligible.
For variations significant enough to alter stats, IIRC Pages from the Mages had a few examples.
bloodtide_the_red Posted - 16 Dec 2022 : 01:30:12
Spell copyright?

Well, Mystra wants magic shared, so that is a bit against spell ownership. Mystra is not overly concerned who gets "credit" for a spell. But it is also near impossible to peg down who created an individual spell most of the time. As has been stated by Ed and others, most spellcasters make their own version of the "common Players Handbook" spells. Gamewise they are not listed as WotC does not want to waste pages on custom spells. Even more so as most would only be minor variants.

Lots of spells have been known for 10,000 years, not just Realmswide, but planet wide, sphere wide and multiverse wide.

The Church of Azuth would be a bit more the type to write down every spell creator. And the faith of Azuth is one of the more organized ones, but still you'd have the problem that it's a big planet. Keeping track of all the spells would be a chore. And how would they enforce it?

There is not much international legal Realms setting. There is no United Realms and every town, city, country, state, nation or state agreeing on nearly anything. Even if say Waterdeep was to copywrite spells, few others would care. Spellcasters in Phlan won't listen to Waterdeep law, and you can be sure Thay or even more so Shou Lung won't care. Even something local like the Lords Alliance is unlikely to care about spell copy wrights.

Ayrik Posted - 15 Dec 2022 : 15:35:54
The spell description for Flying Fist says that it was created by the wizard Alcimer. He was quite proud of the spell, he named it Alcimer's Flying Fist, and his name was discarded by other wizards who learned and used the spell.

It is written as a commentary about non-altruism. But it makes me wonder what sort of "copyright law" might exist for magics and spells. Indeed, Arcane Ages applies the names of arcanists who "first" invented all the famous PHB spells, names which have evidently been removed or forgotten in subsequent ages. "Mystra's Curse" supposedly punishes those who falsely represent marks and sigils belonging to others, but it seems ineffective in this specific sort of magical theft.

There are numerous examples of other spells named for their creators and jealously guarded by their creators. To the extent that some will actively suppress knowledge of the spell and hunt down any who learn or duplicate it.
AJA Posted - 14 Dec 2022 : 23:17:59
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Danilo Thann talked about turning Snilloc's Snowball into Snilloc's Cream Pie; I believe this was in Elfshadow.

"Well, not exactly," Danilo confessed. "I tried a variation on the spell and came up with a slightly, um, more exotic weapon."
"Thus creating the spell for Snilloc's Cream Pie," put in Regnet with a broad grin.

Forgotten Realms Adventures also mentions it under the entry for Snilloc's Snowball:
"There are reports of a 2nd-level variant of this spell with identical effects called Snilloc's cream pie. These reports are unconfirmed."

The 1990/1991 pub dates are very close. I wonder if it first came from Ed/Jeff or Elaine? Or was it already a common joke at TSR?

Delnyn Posted - 13 Dec 2022 : 17:02:40
We also have the Zajimarn cold spells.
EDIT: Priests of Helm use Mace of Odo and I will check Pages of the faithful for more named divine spells.
TBeholder Posted - 05 May 2021 : 21:54:16
Somehow missed:
Veladar's Vambrace
Crai Posted - 07 Jul 2017 : 19:35:42

On a related note ... and for those interested, Steven Schend wrote this quote back in November of 2005:

"One of the things Ed and Eric and I have tried to slip in here and there is the idea that all spells once had someone's name attached to them, if you look far enough back. Time once was, Perigon's Pulchritudinous Pulse was the name a haughty mage of Jhaamdath named what we now call magic missile, etc. You can do this with nearly any spell, which was one of the reasons I wrote who knew the spells I wrote in City of Splendors all those years ago--the more common and widespread the spell, the more apt it would be to lose its honorific and become "uncommon" or "common" in use."

SES

... in this Candlekeep thread here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5495
Crai Posted - 07 Jul 2017 : 18:51:34
Wow. What a gold mine of relevant information! Thank you all for the crowdsourced awesomeness! I'm a big fan of both lore and RPG-play of 1E, 2E, 3.5 & 5E (although I'm now playing primarily using Pathfinder rules). So Diffan's inclusion of 4E data is a tremendous boon for the database ... as I don't have any of those books.
Diffan Posted - 07 Jul 2017 : 07:30:39
4e Arcane Powers and Rituals

Acererak's Apotheosis
Bigby's Icy Grasp
Delban's Eye
Evard's All-Seeing Worm
Evard's Black Gate
Evard's Dreadful Mist
Evard's Ebon Bindings
Evard's Wrenched Darkness
Gibbeth's Embrace
Guillaume's Veil
Hekiah's Trance
Kalak's Burning
Kelgore's Fire Bolt (3e)
Kelgore's Grave Mist (3e)
Kelgore's Rain of Fire
Kelgore's Undeniable Fire
Kelgore's Well of Power
Kelwyn's Fiery Form
Kelwyn's Final Devastation
Kimmeriel's Smile
Korred's Tune
Nolzur's Phantom Spell
Nolzur's Phantom Vigor
Nolzur's Shade Spell
Nulathoe's Concussive Demise
Nulathoe's Death Ward
Nulathoe's Undead Army
Otto's Inevitable Command
Otto's Song of Fidelity
Otto's Twisting Tune
Pandorym's Cry
Simbul's Conversion (4e Ritual)
Simbul's Tempest
Tasha's Forcible Conscription
Tenser's Binding (4e Ritual)
Vezzuvue's Armor
Vezzuvue's Eruption
Vezzuvue's Thread
Yan-C-Bin's Breath
Zutwa's Incandescence
Diffan Posted - 07 Jul 2017 : 06:14:53
Trobriand's Glassee
Trobriand's Crystalbrittle
Ensul's Soultheft
Halaster's Blacksphere
Halaster's Fetch I - VI
Halaster's Image Swap
Halaster's Light Step
Halaster's Shaking Hand
Halaster's Teleport Cage
Laeral's Silver Lance
Palarandusk's Fire Breath
Zeromaru X Posted - 07 Jul 2017 : 05:14:27
Now, we need to update the 2e list with named spells from 3e and 4e, just for completion's sake.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jul 2017 : 04:06:59
Pretty sure Tulrun's tracer was mentioned in the original version of Spellfire.
bloodtide_the_red Posted - 07 Jul 2017 : 02:40:25
quote:
Originally posted by Crai
2. Does anybody know if Ed Greenwood has mentioned any named spells (that haven't been officially published yet) in his "So Saith Ed!" communiques or in his off-the-cuff answers to fan questions?

Yes...way too many. A lot of the time Ed ''name drops'' spells. You can look through lots of books and find them.

[quote]Originally posted by Crai
3. Have any of you seen any named spells mentioned in the many canon F.R. novels that have been published? I re-read the 11 novels I have at home. And I've seen nothing but generic spells mentioned.
/quote]

Yes. Obviously any novel written by Ed is often filled with spells, and plenty of named spells too. Most other authors stick to the ''player handbook'' spells.
AuldDragon Posted - 07 Jul 2017 : 02:14:52
quote:

1. In some cases, it's hard to tell if a mortal spellcaster is the "name" ... or if the name is deific entity of some sort. And it looks like AuldDragon took care to sort deifics out. Which is helpful to me as I'm interested in having deifics sorted out. And since his list doesn't seem to include 3E's BoVD & BoED, I'll have to check the back-stories of those books named spells.

That's why I included the Mystra and Azuth spells; I don't know if they created them or if mortal spellcasters named them after the deity. Note many of them are also granted to their priests. I did not include some from Cerilia (Birthright) such as Haelyn's Bow and Erik's Quills, because I'm fairly sure the deities didn't create them.

quote:

2. Does anybody know if Ed Greenwood has mentioned any named spells (that haven't been officially published yet) in his "So Saith Ed!" communiques or in his off-the-cuff answers to fan questions?

He's mentioned that some of the named spells are known on Toril, but I'm not sure if he has mentioned specific spells.

quote:

4. I also will be combing the Dragonlance material for named spells. There's not a lot, but they're still notable. Like Dalamar's Lightning Lance, Huma's Legacy, etc.

Hmm, looks like I missed one in my list up above: Fistandantilus's Firequench. There aren't that many from 2nd Edition.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Danilo Thann talked about turning Snilloc's Snowball into Snilloc's Cream Pie; I believe this was in Elfshadow.

That one gets an entry in the 2nd Edition Wizard's Spell Compendium (which is a great resource; it lists all known spells published up until about 1996-1997). It was never fully detailed, though, so it wasn't in the spreadsheet I was copying the names from. There are a small number of additional spells like that, which I didn't capture, as well as named variants of spells that were detailed under a more generic name.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Why is an acerak spell in the list. Just because WoTC puts him in Chult doesnt make him part of the setting
You will note that he referenced many of them as GH... that one was dragon mag.

Yeah, that was almost all the spells with named elements from 2nd Edition. There are lots of Greyhawk spells, some Planescape, Mystara, Ravenloft spells, and a lot of spells that I didn't check on the setting for. Many of those are likely "generic," such as Abendroth’s Magical Accountant, which was published in the setting-less College of Wizardry product. In addition, I noted that the Wild Magic spells from Nahal and Hornung were from FR, even though they were published in the Tome of Magic, as the spells established both wizards were from Toril. A number of the spells mentioned in various Dragon magazines are canonically from one setting or another, but I'd have to check those individual issues; the Wizard's Spell Compendium doesn't always say, since the FR spells were generally integrated into the primary spell lists.

There's an older version of my spell spreadsheet on my blog (check the Spreadsheet category or tag), which is only missing a couple dozen spells overall. I could try to get my updated spreadsheet posted.

Jeff
sleyvas Posted - 07 Jul 2017 : 01:47:00
quote:

Why is an acerak spell in the list. Just because WoTC puts him in Chult doesnt make him part of the setting

You will note that he referenced many of them as GH... that one was dragon mag.
TBeholder Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 23:28:50
quote:

@TBeholder ... Oh yes. The Netheril, Empire of Magic book will get a serious amount of eyeball work from me as it takes a lot of staple 1E and 2E unnamed spells and then assigns them official F.R. spellcaster name prefixes. Which I like a lot.

Here's CSV. "*" marks new spells from "Netheril - Empire of Magic" (except Chevic's Tracer from "How the Mighty Are Fallen"). Ptack’s Locking has stats of wizard lock, but different effect: improves lock quality by 1 step (e.g. excellent to superior).
Spell, Modern name, Level, Field

Aksa’s Growth, Enlarge, 1, Variation
Aksa’s Repair, Mending, 1, Variation
Brightfinger’s Dancers, Dancing lights, 1, Variation
Brightfinger’s Light, Light, 1, Variation
Carbury’s Force, Phantasmal force, 1, Inventive
Carbury’s Servant, Unseen servant, 1, Inventive
Carbury’s Spook, Spook, 1, Inventive
Dace’s Comprehension, Comprehend languages, 1, Mentalism
Dace’s Taunting, Taunt, 1, Mentalism
Dace’s Ventriloquism, Ventriloquism, 1, Mentalism
Decampus’s Alarm, Alarm, 1, Mentalism
Efteran’s Sleep, Sleep, 1, Mentalism
General Matick’s Armor, Armor, 1, Inventive
General Matick’s Missile, Magic missile, 1, Inventive
General Matick’s Shield, Shield, 1, Inventive
Hamring’s Hypnotism, Hypnotism, 1, Mentalism
Jarm’s Mount, Mount, 1, Inventive
Keonid’s Charm Human, Charm person, 1, Mentalism
Keonid’s Friendship, Friends, 1, Mentalism
Lefeber’s Mark, ?(not Wizard Mark), 1, Inventive
M’dhal’s Dispel Evil, Protection from evil, 1, Mentalism
Nalevac’s Spray, Color spray, 1, Variation
Niquie’s Reflection, Gaze reflection, 1, Variation
Nobrow’s Fire Effect, Affect normal fires, 1, Variation
Primidon’s Burners, Burning hands, 1, Inventive/Variation
Quantoul’s Changer, Change self, 1, Mentalism/Variation
Quantoul’s Climber, Spider climb, 1, Variation
Raliteff’s Strike, Erase, 1, Variation
Shan’s Tallow, Grease, 1, Inventive
Trebbe’s Scry Identify, Identify, 1, Mentalism
Trebbe’s Scry Magic, *, 1, Mentalism
Trebbe’s Scry Undead, Detect undead, 1, Mentalism
Undine’s Hold Portal, Hold portal, 1, Variation
Veridon’s Chiller, Chill touch, 1, Inventive/Variation
Veridon’s Wall, Wall of fog, 1, Inventive
Volhm’s Grasp, Shocking grasp, 1, Inventive/Variation
Xanad’s Glamer, Audible glamer, 1, Inventive/Mentalism
Xanad’s Message, Message, 1, Inventive
Yturn’s Feather Fall, Feather fall, 1, Variation
Yturn’s Long Jump, Jump, 1, Variation
Zahn’s Familiar, Find familiar, 1, Inventive/Mentalism/Variation
Aksa’s Shatter, Shatter, 2, Variation
Carbury’s Improved Force, Improved phantasmal force, 2, Inventive
Carbury’s Mouth, Magic mouth, 2, Inventive
Cragh’s Deafness, Deafness, 2, Mentalism
Enollar’s Aimlessness, Misdirection, 2, Mentalism
Fahren’s Darkness, Darkness 15’ radius, 2, Inventive/Variation
Fahren’s Glitterdust, Glitterdust, 2, Inventive
Hamring’s Enfeeblement, Ray of enfeeblement, 2, Mentalism
Hamring’s Hypnopattern, Hypnotic pattern, 2, Mentalism
Hamring’s Scare, Scare, 2, Mentalism
Jarm’s Irritation, Irritation, 2, Inventive
Jarm’s Spectral Hand, Spectral hand, 2, Inventive
Jarm’s Summon Swarm, Summon swarm, 2, Inventive
Keonid’s Forgetfulness, Forget, 2, Mentalism
Pockall’s Invisibility, Invisibility, 2, Mentalism
Polybeus’s Illumination, Continual light, 2, Inventive
Primidon’s Pyrotechnics, Pyrotechnics, 2, Inventive
Primidon’s Sphere, Flaming sphere, 2, Inventive
Ptack’s Knock, Knock, 2, Variation
Ptack’s Locking, *, 2, Variation
Purnia’s Fools’ Gold, Fools’ gold, 2, Mentalism/Variation
Quantoul’s Alterer, Alter self, 2, Variation
Quantoul’s Strength, Strength, 2, Variation
Shan’s Web, Web, 2, Inventive
Smolyn’s Blindness, Blindness, 2, Mentalism
Smolyn’s Blurring, Blur, 2, Mentalism
Smolyn’s Replica, Mirror image, 2, Inventive/Mentalism
Tolodine’s Stinking Cloud, Stinking cloud, 2, Inventive
Trebbe’s Scry Alignment, Know alignment, 2, Mentalism
Trebbe’s Scry Evil, Detect evil, 2, Mentalism
Trebbe’s Scry Invisibility, Detect invisibility, 2, Mentalism
Undine’s Extra Portal Pocket, Deeppockets, 2, Inventive/Variation
Undine’s Rope, Rope trick, 2, Variation
Veridon’s Cloud, Fog cloud, 2, Inventive/Variation
Vilate’s Restriction, Bind, 2, Variation
Vilate’s Whispering, Whispering wind, 2, Variation
Yturn’s Levitation, Levitate, 2, Mentalism/Variation
Zahn’s ESP, ESP, 2, Mentalism
Zahn’s Location, Locate object, 2, Mentalism
Aksa’s Object, Item, 3, Variation
Carbury’s Spectral Force, Spectral force, 3, Inventive/Mentalism
Carbury’s Steed, Phantom steed, 3, Inventive
Dace’s Tongue Forms, Tongues, 3, Mentalism/Variation
Enollar’s Delusion, Delude, 3, Mentalism/Variation
Gwynn’s Feign Death, Feign death, 3, Inventive
Gwynn’s Vampirism, Vampiric touch, 3, Inventive
Hersent’s Sigil, Sepia snake sigil, 3, Inventive
Keonid’s Suggestion, Suggestion, 3, Mentalism
Lucke’s 1st Monster Summons, Monster summoning I, 3, Inventive
M’dhal’s Dispel Evil II, Protection from evil/10’ radius, 3, Mentalism
M’dhal’s Missile Shield, Protection from normal missiles, 3, Mentalism
Nalevac’s Deep Sight, Infravision, 3, Variation
Noanar’s Fireball, Fireball, 3, Inventive
Oberon’s Blinking, Blink, 3, Variation
Pockall’s Wide Invisibility, Invisibility 10’ radius, 3, Mentalism
Primidon’s Arrow, Flame arrow, 3, Inventive
Prug’s Hold Human, Hold person, 3, Mentalism
Prug’s Hold the Dead, Hold undead, 3, Mentalism
Ptack’s Nonscryance, Nondetection, 3, Mentalism/Variation
Ptack’s Secret Script, Secret page, 3, Variation
Quantoul’s Fastmorph, Haste, 3, Variation
Quantoul’s Slowmorph, Slow, 3, Mentalism/Variation
Quantoul’s Wraithmorph, Wraithform, 3, Mentalism/Variation
Raliteff’s Illusion Script, Illusionary script, 3, Mentalism
Stoca’s Water Breath, Water breathing, 3, Variation
Stoca’s Wings, Fly, 3, Variation
Tipald’s Runes, Explosive runes, 3, Inventive
Tolodine’s Gust of Wind, Gust of wind, 3, Inventive/Variation
Tolodine’s Wind Wall, Wind wall, 3, Inventive/Variation
Volhm’s Bolt, Lightning bolt, 3, Inventive
Zahn’s Hearing, Clairaudience, 3, Mentalism
Zahn’s Seeing, Clairvoyance, 3, Mentalism
Anglin’s Mirror, Magic mirror, 4, Inventive
Berthot’s Blunder, Fumble, 4, Mentalism
Carbury’s Killer, Phantasmal killer, 4, Inventive/Mentalism
Chevic's Tracer, *, 4, Mentalism
Enollar’s Dispel Curse, Remove curse, 4, Mentalism
Fjord’s Vacancy, Vacancy, 4, Mentalism/Variation
Fourfinger’s Enchanted Weapon, Enchanted weapon, 4, Inventive/Variation
Keonid’s Confusion, Confusion, 4, Mentalism
Keonid’s Emotion, Emotion, 4, Mentalism
Keonid’s Fear, Fear, 4, Mentalism
Lefeber’s 1st Creation, Minor creation, 4, Inventive/Mentalism
Lucke’s 2nd Monster Summons, Monster summoning II, 4, Inventive
Lucke’s Contagion, Contagion, 4, Inventive/Variation
Nalevac’s Rainbow, Rainbow pattern, 4, Mentalism/Variation
Noanar’s Shield, Fire shield, 4, Inventive
Noanar’s Trap, Fire trap, 4, Inventive
Noanar’s Wall, Wall of fire, 4, Inventive/Variation
Nobrow’s Charm, Fire charm, 4, Variation
Oberon’s Extradoor, Dimension door, 4, Mentalism/Variation
Pockall’s Invisibility Plus, Improved invisibility, 4, Mentalism
Pockall’s Monster Hex, Charm monster, 4, Mentalism
Proctiv’s Dig, Dig, 4, Inventive/Variation
Quantoul’s Manymorph, Massmorph, 4, Variation
Quantoul’s Othermorph, Polymorph other, 4, Variation
Quantoul’s Selfmorph, Polymorph self, 4, Variation
Shadow’s Monster, Shadow monsters, 4, Inventive/Mentalism
Stoca’s Feign, Enervation, 4, Inventive/Variation
Stoca’s Flora Grow, Plant growth, 4, Inventive/Variation
Toscudlo’s HaIlucinatory Terrain, Hallucinatory terrain, 4, Mentalism
Toscudlo’s Illusionary Wall, Illusionary wall, 4, Mentalism
Trebbe’s Eye, Wizard eye, 4, Mentalism/Variation
Trebbe’s Minor Invulnerability, Minor globe of invulnerability, 4, Mentalism
Trebbe’s Scry Scrying, Detect scrying, 4, Mentalism
Veridon’s Ice Wall, Wall of ice, 4, Inventive/Variation
Veridon’s Solidifier, Solid fog, 4, Inventive/Variation
Veridon’s Storm, Ice storm, 4, Inventive/Variation
Xanad’s Shout, Shout, 4, Inventive
Zwei’s 1st Extension, Extension I, 4, Variation
Aksa’s Contrivance, Fabricate, 5, Inventive/Variation
Aksa’s Passage, Passwall, 5, Variation
Berthot’s Disorder, Chaos, 5, Mentalism
Chever’s Contact Other Plane, Contact other plane, 5, Mentalism
Efteran’s Dream, Dream, 5, Inventive/Mentalism
Enollar’s Sending, Sending, 5, Inventive/Mentalism
Fjord’s Air Water, Airy Water, 5, Variation
Fjord’s Animation, Animate dead, 5, Inventive/Variation
Fjord’s Distortion, Distance distortion, 5, Variation
Hamring’s Feeblemind, Feeblemind, 5, Mentalism
Jarm’s Magic Jar, Magic jar, 5, Inventive/Mentalism
Lefeber’s 2nd Creation, Major creation, 5, Inventive/Mentalism
Lucke’s 3rd Monster Summons, Monster summoning III, 5, Inventive
Mavin’s Iron Wall, Wall of iron, 5, Inventive
Mavin’s Stonewall, Wall of stone, 5, Inventive
Oberon’s Dismiss, Dismissal, 5, Mentalism/Variation
Oberon’s Telekinesis, Telekinesis, 5, Variation
Oberon’s Teleportation, Teleport, 5, Variation
Proctiv’s Rock-Mud Transmution, Transmute rock to mud, 5, Variation
Proctiv’s Shape Stone, Stone shape, 5, Variation
Prug’s Dominate, Domination, 5, Mentalism
Prug’s Hold Being, Hold monster, 5, Mentalism
Shadow’s Demimonster, Demishadow monster, 5, Inventive/Mentalism
Shadow’s Door, Shadow door, 5, Inventive/Mentalism
Shadow’s Magic, Shadow magic, 5, Inventive/Mentalism
Shadow’s Summons, Summon shadow, 5, Inventive/Mentalism
Shan’s Forcewall, Wall of Force, 5, Inventive
Smolyn’s Fraud, False vision, 5, Mentalism/Variation
Stoca’s Fauna Grow, Animal growth, 5, Inventive/Variation
Tipald’s Conjuration, Conjure elemental, 5, Inventive
Tolodine’s Cloudkill, Cloudkill, 5, Inventive
Toscudlo’s Advanced Illusion, Advanced illusion, 5, Mentalism
Undine’s Avoidance, Avoidance, 5, Mentalism/Variation
Veridon’s Cone, Cone of cold, 5, Inventive
Zwei’s 2nd Extension, Extension II, 5, Variation
Aksa’s Disintegrate, Disintegrate, 6, Variation
Aksa’s Glassteel, Glassee, 6, Variation
Carbury’s Stalker, Invisible stalker, 6, Inventive
Dethed’s Spell, Death spell, 6, Inventive
Enollar’s Mislead, Mislead, 6, Mentalism
Fourfinger’s Lower Water, Lower water, 6, Variation
Fourfinger’s Part Water, Part water, 6, Variation
Fourfinger’s Weather Control, Control weather, 6, Mentalism/Variation
Hamring’s Mass Hypnosis, Mass suggestion, 6, Mentalism
Jarm’s Saga, Legend lore, 6, Mentalism
Keonid’s Geas, Geas, 6, Mentalism
Kutson’s Programmed Illusion, Programmed illusion, 6, Mentalism
Lefeber’s Contingence, Contingency, 6, Inventive
Lucke’s 4th Monster Summons, Monster summoning IV, 6, Inventive
Lucke’s Animal Conjuration, Conjure animal, 6, Inventive
M’dhal’s Mantle, Guards and wards, 6, Inventive/Mentalism/Variation
Mavin’s Stone-Flesh Transmution, Stone to flesh, 6, Inventive/Variation
Proctiv’s Earthmove, Move earth, 6, Variation
Proctiv’s Water-Dust Transmution, Transmute water to dust, 6, Variation
Prug’s Repulse, Repulsion, 6, Mentalism
Sadebreth’s Reincarnation, Reincarnation, 6, Inventive/Variation
Shadow’s Demimagic, Demishadow magic, 6, Inventive/Mentalism
Shadow’s Shades, Shades, 6, Inventive/Mentalism
Smolyn’s Eyebite, Eyebite, 6, Mentalism
Smolyn’s Seer, True Seeing, 6, Mentalism
Smolyn’s Veil, Veil, 6, Mentalism
Tolodine’s Death Fog, Death fog, 6, Inventive/Variation
Toscudlo’s Permanent Illusion, Permanent illusion, 6, Mentalism
Toscudlo’s Project Image, Project image, 6, Mentalism/Variation
Trebbe’s Antimagic, Antimagic shell, 6, Mentalism
Trebbe’s Invulnerability, Globe of invulnerability, 6, Mentalism
Valdick’s Snare, Ensnarement, 6, Inventive
Volhm’s Chaining, Chain lightning, 6, Inventive
Zahn’s Mirage, Mirage arcana, 6, Mentalism/Variation
Zwei’s 3rd Extension, Extension III, 6, Variation
Anglin’s Spray, Prismatic spray, 7, Inventive
Chever’s Simulacrum, Simulacrum, 7, Mentalism
Chronomancer’s Gravity Reversal, Reverse gravity, 7, Inventive/Variation
Dethed’s Death Finger, Finger of death, 7, Inventive/Variation
Enollar’s Isolation, Sequester, 7, Inventive/Mentalism
Lucke’s 5th Monster Summons, Monster summoning V, 7, Inventive
Noanar’s Delayed Fireball, Delayed blast fireball, 7, Inventive
Oberon’s Banish, Banishment, 7, Mentalism/Variation
Oberon’s Flawless Teleport, Teleport without error, 7, Variation
Prug’s Plant Control, Charm plant, 7, Mentalism
Quantoul’s Flat Body, Duo-dimension, 7, Variation
Quantoul’s Statue, Statue, 7, Variation
Sadebreth’s Undead Control, Control undead, 7, Mentalism/Variation
Shadow’s Walk, Shadow walk, 7, Mentalism/Variation
Toscudlo’s Bulk Invisibility, Mass invisibility, 7, Mentalism
Trebbe’s Turning, Spell turning, 7, Mentalism/Variation
Undine’s Door, Phase door, 7, Variation
Valdick’s Forcecage, Forcecage, 7, Inventive
Xanad’s Stun, Power word/stun, 7, Inventive/Mentalism
Yang’s Dissipation, Vanish, 7, Mentalism/Variation
Zahn’s Vision, Vision, 7, Mentalism
Aksa’s Morphing, Polymorph any object, 8, Variation
Anglin’s Wall, Prismatic wall, 8, Inventive
Berthot’s Screen, Screen, 8, Mentalism
Dethed’s Clone, Clone, 8, Inventive/Variation
Dethed’s Trap, Trap the soul, 8, Inventive
Hersent’s Symbol, Symbol, 8, Inventive
Keonid’s Charm Plus, Mass charm, 8, Mentalism
Kutson’s Antipathy/Sympathy, Antipathy/Sympathy, 8, Mentalism
Kutson’s Mind Blank, Mind blank, 8, Mentalism/Variation
Lucke’s 6th Monster Summons, Monster summoning VI, 8, Inventive
Primidon’s Cloud, Incendiary cloud, 8, Inventive/Variation
Proctiv’s Steely Glass, Glassteel, 8, Inventive/Variation
Toscudlo’s Dominate, Demand, 8, Inventive/Mentalism
Valdick’s Enigma, Maze, 8, Inventive
Valdick’s Submerse, Sink, 8, Inventive/Variation
Xanad’s Blindness, Power word/blind, 8, Inventive
Yang’s Truss, Binding, 8, Inventive/Mentalism
Anglin’s Sphere, Prismatic sphere, 9, Inventive
Chronomancer’s Stasis, Temporal stasis, 9, Variation
Chronomancer’s Time Stop, Time stop, 9, Variation
Lucke’s 7th Monster Summons, Monster summoning VII, 9, Inventive
Mavin’s Meteors, Meteor swarm, 9, Inventive
Oberon’s Succor, Succor, 9, Mentalism/Variation
Ptack’s Brittleness, Crystalbrittle, 9, Variation
Smolyn’s Foreseer, Foresight, 9, Mentalism
Stoca’s Change Shape, Shape change, 9, Variation
Trebbe’s Weird, Weird, 9, Mentalism
Valdick’s Astral Form, Astral spell, 9, Inventive
Valdick’s Gate, Gate, 9, Inventive
Volhm’s Drain, Energy drain, 9, Inventive/Variation
Xanad’s Killer, Power word/kill, 9, Inventive
Yang’s Imprison, Imprisonment, 9, Mentalism
Lefeber’s Weave Mythal, *, 10, Inventive/Mentalism
Mavin’s Create Volcano, *, 10, Inventive
Mavin’s Earthfast, *, 10, Inventive/Variation
Proctiv’s Move Mountain, *, 10, Variation
Tolodine’s Killing Wind, *, 10, Inventive
Valdick’s Spheresail, *, 10, Inventive
Mavin’s Worldweave, *, 11, Inventive
Proctiv’s Breach/Seal Crystal Sphere, *, 11, Variation
Karsus’s Avatar, *, 12, Mentalism

quote:
Also to note, I am looking for named F.R. spells mentioned in Dragon and Dungeon magazines, Ed Greenwood communiques & F.R. published novels.

For the Dragon spells, look in Dragondex. Other than this, there are various collections.

I use a spreadsheet incorporating index from The Net Wizard's Handbook, stats from old downloads (Cult of the Dragon, etc), and several other lists that were floating by in net (dragondex list, what was on several geocities pages, etc including Planescape spells and old Gazetteer spell lists, though quite possibly incomplete). Data is a bit uneven in quality and completeness, but there's a lot - some with notes, some without. PM me your mailbox if you want a copy.

There were a lot of spells mentioned, but never given in stats - e.g. (from Elminster In Myth Drannor) Gargajaws and Blood Dragon were in Dragon Annual 1997, but Spellshear, Jhalavan's Fond Return, Mruster's Twist or Call Bones - nowhere AFAIK.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 21:44:41

And while I don't recall if it was named or not, I recall Midnight casting Otiluke's Freezing Sphere in one of the Avatar books.
Crai Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 21:07:48
As the OP, thanks to everyone who is contributing to this thread! Especially AuldDragon's massive and detailed mega-list.

Some other notes:

1. In some cases, it's hard to tell if a mortal spellcaster is the "name" ... or if the name is deific entity of some sort. And it looks like AuldDragon took care to sort deifics out. Which is helpful to me as I'm interested in having deifics sorted out. And since his list doesn't seem to include 3E's BoVD & BoED, I'll have to check the back-stories of those books named spells.

3. Have any of you seen any named spells mentioned in the many canon F.R. novels that have been published? I re-read the 11 novels I have at home. And I've seen nothing but generic spells mentioned.

4. I also will be combing the Dragonlance material for named spells. There's not a lot, but they're still notable. Like Dalamar's Lightning Lance, Huma's Legacy, etc.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 20:41:55
quote:

For the same reason that Mordenkainen, Otto, Rary, Tenser, Bigby, Drawmij (don't think I ever caught that one before typing it just now), Otiluke, and others are on the list: because a lot of these were core spells that were known in the Realms, even if their creator wasn't.

Midnight used one of Otiluke's spells, for example, Elminster and Mordenkainen were part of the Wizards Three that met at Ed's place in the old Dragon articles of the same name, and the handy spells by Bigby are well-known enough in the Realms that Khelben created a spell specifically to counter them.
Diffan Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 18:10:45
Trobriand, the Metal Mage, had a few spells listed in Waterdeep: City of Splendors. Im at the dentist or Id list them now
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 17:49:17
AuldDragon Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 17:25:09
Glad to help where I can. :D

Might want to edit out the quoted list though, just clean up the thread a bit. :)

If there are any specific spells in the list people want to know about, just ask and I'll dig up page references and such.

Jeff
sleyvas Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 13:16:38
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

Here are all the 2nd Edition named spells that I could find quickly. May have missed some though. A few Priest spells are included at the end.

Wizard Spells:
Abendroth’s Magical Accountant; College of Wizardy
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting; ToM
Acererak’s Blackstone; Dragon Mag
Agannazar’s Scorcher; FR
Agra’s Ambush; Polyhedron
Alahandra’s Questing Call; Dragon Mag
Alamanther’s Return; FR
Alamir’s Fundamental Breakdown; ToM
Alaunghaer’s Enchanted Triptych; FR (Dragon spell)
Algarth’s Embattlement; FR
Allisandro’s Binding Curse; Ravenloft
Alustriel’s Banner; FR
Alustriel’s Fang; FR
Alustriel’s Improved Mantle; FR
Alustriel’s Mantle; FR
Alustriel’s Sword of Stars; FR
Alvira’s Stasis Shell; Dragon mag
Alyssindra’s Summons; WSC
Amgig’s Rowers; Dragon mag
Andrui’s Baneful Backfire; WSC
Archveult's Skybolt; WSC
Archveult's Spell Dagger; Polyhedron
Argaster’s Cloak of Shadows; Dragon mag
Arien of Thang-Nor; Dragon mag
Arnvid's Unseen Limb; Dragon mag
Articus’s Devolutionary Warrior; Chronomancer
Articus’s Melee Manager; Chronomancer
Aryeric’s Cloak of Protection; Polyhedron
Avissar’s Bane; Dragon mag
Avissar’s Flaming Weapon; Dragon mag
Azundel’s Purification; FR
Azuth's Exalted Triad; FR (unknown if named for got or Azuth as mortal
Azuth's Fedensor; FR (unknown if named for got or Azuth as mortal
Azuth's Spell Shield; FR (unknown if named for got or Azuth as mortal
Ballant’s Stonesplit; Dragon mag
Ballant’s Stonestrength; Dragon mag
Balliard’s Rejuvenating Touch; WSC
Bands of Sirellyn; PO:SM
Belorigar’s Baldric; FR
Belsham’s Mace; Dragon mag
Beltyn’s Burning Blood; WSC
Bendal’s Swoop; FR
Bigby’s Battering Gauntlet; GH
Bigby’s Besieging Bolt; GH
Bigby’s Bookworm Bane; GH
Bigby’s Clenched Fist; GH
Bigby’s Construction Crew; GH
Bigby’s Crushing Hand; GH
Bigby’s Dextrous Digits; GH
Bigby’s Fantastic Fencers; GH
Bigby’s Feeling Fingers; GH
Bigby’s Force Sculpture; GH
Bigby’s Forceful Hand; GH
Bigby’s Grasping Hand; GH
Bigby’s Interposing Hand; GH
Bigby’s Most Excellent Force Sculpture; GH
Bigby’s Pugnacious Pugilist; GH
Bigby’s Silencing Hand; GH
Bigby’s Strangling Grip; GH
Bigby’s Superior Force Sculpture; GH
Bloodstone’s Frightful Joining; ToM
Bloodstone’s Spectral Steed; ToM
Bowgentle’s Fleeting Journey; FR
Brannart’s Acidic Grip; Mystara
Brester’s Beam of Light; Dragon mag
Bubka’s Superior Identification; Dragon mag
Bugman’s Mug; Dragon mag
Caddelyn’s Catastrophe; WSC
Calder’s Starry Sky; BR
Caligarde’s Claw; WSC
Callistram’s Gondola; WSC
Carroissa’s Appalling Dash; College of Wizardry
Cathala’s Compulsion; FR
Cervate’s Summoning; Dragon mag
Chevic’s Tracer; FR
Daltim’s Fiery Protector; FR
Daltim’s Flaming Fist; FR
Daltim’s Proof Against Fire; FR
Darazell’s Noose; Dragon mag
Dariastren’s Shadow Blight; Dragon mag
Dariastren’s Shadow Well; Dragon mag
Darsson’s Cooling Breeze; FR
Darsson’s Eye in the Sky; FR
Darsson’s Fiery Cube; FR
Darsson’s Music Box; FR
Darsson’s Potion; FR
Dathchaunt’s Deathbolt; FR
Dauntra’s Cloak; Dragon mag
DeGras’s Pilfering Fingers; WSC
Detho’s Delirium; WSC
Dolent’s Helm; Polyhedron
Drawmij’s Adventurer’s Luck; GH
Drawmij’s Beast of Burden; GH
Drawmij’s Beneficent Polymorph; GH
Drawmij’s Breath of Life; GH
Drawmij’s Flying Feat; GH
Drawmij’s Handy Timepiece; GH
Drawmij’s Instant Exit; GH
Drawmij’s Instant Summons; GH
Drawmij’s Iron Sack; GH
Drawmij’s Light Step; GH
Drawmij’s Marvelous Shield; GH
Drawmij’s Merciful Metamorphosis; GH
Drawmij’s Protection from Nonmagical Gas; GH
Drawmij’s Scent Mask; GH
Drawmij’s Swift Mount; GH
Drawmij’s Tool Box; GH
Drenal’s Amok Needles; WSC
Drenal’s Annoying Poke; WSC
Drenal’s Distraction; WSC
Drenal’s Dry Ink; WSC
Drenal’s Eyesore; WSC
Drenal’s Sound Barrier; WSC
Drenal’s Stone Flame; WSC
Duhlark’s Animerge; FR
Duhlark’s Glasstrike; FR
Duhlark’s Glasstrike Trap; FR
Duhlark’s Long Reach; FR
Elminster’s Effulgent Epuration; FR
Elminster’s Evasion; FR
Elminster’s Multiple Mouths; FR
Elonia’s Glamer; Dragon mag
Emirikol’s Question; Mystara
Evard’s Black Tentacles; PHB
Fallion’s Fabulous Fireball; Dragon mag
Fantar’s Reef; Dragon mag
Fantar’s Shoal; Dragon mag
Farrand’s Cognitive Conveyance; Dragon mag
Filverel’s Doorward; FR
Flamsterd’s Flamestrike; FR
Flann’s Finery; Mystara
Forest’s Fiery Constrictor; ToM
Galathar’s Gnostic Chain; FR
Galkyn’s Bolt; FR
Gamalon’s Fiery Backlash; FR
Geirdorn’s Grappling Grasp; FR
Gemidan’s Icicle; FR
Gemidan’s Paralytic Missile; FR
Ghelkyn’s Wounding; FR
Grimwald’s Graymantle; FR
Gunther’s Kaleidoscopic Strike; ToM
Halaster’s Grappling Hand; FR
Hornung’s Baneful Deflector; FR/ToM
Hornung’s Guess; FR/ToM
Hornung’s Random Dispatcher; FR/ToM
Hornung’s Surge Selector; FR/ToM
Iggwilv’s Lightning Cage; GH
Iggwilv’s Timeless Sleep; GH
Ilyykur’s Mantle; FR
Immurk’s Distraction; FR
Iniarv’s Unseen Voice; Dungeon
Irithra’s Spelltouch; FR
Isolde’s Answer; Dragon mag
Ivy’s Irresistible Scent; Polyhedron
Jaggar’s Strengthened Bastion; Mystara
Jalartan’s Miraculum; FR
Jalensifer’s Trident; FR
Janga’s Jewel; Polyhedron
Jannes’ Impressive Demeanor; Dragon mag
Jaran’s Prismatic Blade; Dragon mag
Jhanifer’s Deliquescence; FR
Jonstal’s Double Wizardry; FR
Jonstal’s Improved Double Wizardry; FR
Karsus’s Avatar; FR
Keraptis’ Fantastic Famulus; Dragon mag
Khazid’s Procurement; ToM
Khelben’s Blackstaff; FR
Khelben’s Dweomerdoom; FR
Khelben’s Suspended Silence; FR
Khelben’s Warding Whip; FR
Khidell’s Glamour Glove; FR
Khidell’s Hand; FR
Kieren’s Curse Ward; Dragon mag
Knoslira’s Crypt; Ravenloft
Kreshenk’s Shadow Mask; Dragon mag
Laeral’s Aqueous Column; FR
Laeral’s Crowning Touch; FR
Laeral’s Cutting Hand; FR
Laeral’s Dancing Dweomer; FR
Laeral’s Dancing Whip; FR
Laeral’s Disrobement; FR
Laeral’s Gesture; FR
Laeral’s Invisible Blade; FR
Laeral’s Raging Griffon; FR
Laruin's Blinding Blizzard; Dragon mag
Lauthdryn’s Cleaving; FR
Lefeber’s Weave Mythal; FR
Leomund’s Hidden Lodge; GH
Leomund’s Lamentable Belaborment; GH
Leomund’s Lifeboat; GH
Leomund’s Many Life Preservers; GH
Leomund’s Secret Chest; GH
Leomund’s Secure Shelter; GH
Leomund’s Tiny Hut; GH
Leomund’s Trap; GH
Lorloveim’s Creeping Shadow; ToM
Lorloveim’s Shadowy Transformation; ToM
Lysander’s Bladestorm; PS
Lysander’s Kaleidoscope; PS
Macho’s Uncontrollable Hideous Belching; Dragon mag (parody)
Maddgoth’s Servitor; FR
Malec-Keth’s Flame Fist; ToM
Malraz’s Dramatic Death; Polyhedron
Manor’s Mind Vision; Dragon mag
Manor’s Mindsight; Dragon mag
Manshoon’s Xorn Talons; FR
Mavin’s Create Volcano; FR
Mavin’s Earthfast; FR
Mavin’s Worldweave; FR
Maximilian’s Earthen Grasp; ToM
Maximillian’s Stony Grasp; ToM
Melf’s Acid Arrow; GH
Melf’s Minute Meteors; GH
Melisander’s Harp; FR
Mellix’s Fire Mouth; Dragon mag
Mempter’s Barrier; Polyhedron
Mentap’s Mine; Dragon mag
Merald’s Meld; FR
Merald’s Murderous Mist; FR
Mere’s Conjure Sandlings; GH
Mordenkainen’s Celerity; GH
Mordenkainen’s Defense Against Lycanthropes; GH
Mordenkainen’s Defense Against Nonmagical Reptiles and Amphibians; GH
Mordenkainen’s Disjunction; GH
Mordenkainen’s Electric Arc; GH
Mordenkainen’s Encompassing Vision; GH
Mordenkainen’s Faithful Hound; GH
Mordenkainen’s Faithful Phantom Defenders; GH
Mordenkainen’s Faithful Phantom Guardian; GH
Mordenkainen’s Faithful Phantom Shield-Maidens; GH
Mordenkainen’s Force Missiles; GH
Mordenkainen’s Involuntary Wizardry; GH
Mordenkainen’s Lucubration; GH
Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Mansion; GH
Mordenkainen’s Penultimate Cogitation; GH
Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum; GH
Mordenkainen’s Protection From Avians; GH
Mordenkainen’s Protection From Insects and Arachnids; GH
Mordenkainen’s Protection From Slime; GH
Mordenkainen’s Sword; GH
Morgannaver’s Sting; FR
Morphail’s Unholy Blessing; Mystara
Moryggan’s Mythaleash; FR
Muirara’s Map; FR
Murdock’s Feathery Flyer; ToM
Muritho's Randomscatter; Dragon mag
Murlynd’s Ogre; GH
Murlynd’s Void; GH
Murq’s Mystic Missile; Dragon mag
Mycontil’s Last Resort; FR
Mylsibis’s Arcane Contention; Dragon mag
Mystra’s Miasma; FR
Mystra’s Unraveling; FR
Nahal’s Nonsensical Nullifier; FR/ToM
Nahal’s Reckless Dweomer; FR/ToM
Narcomb’s Battened Hatches; Dragon mag
Nchaser’s Glowing Globe; FR
Nefti’s Spell Recall; Jakandor
Nemicron’s Transference; Polyhedron
Night’s Jambiya; AQ
Nimodes’ Major Delousing; Dragon mag
Nimodes’ Unseen Butler; Dragon mag
Nulathoe’s Ninemen; FR
Nybor’s Gentle Reminder; FR
Nybor’s Joyful Voyage; FR
Nybor’s Mild Admonishment; FR
Nybor’s Stern Reproof; FR
Nybor’s Wrathful Castigation; FR
Nystul’s Blacklight Burst; GH
Nystul’s Blackmote; GH
Nystul’s Blazing Beam; GH
Nystul’s Crystal Dagger; GH
Nystul’s Crystal Dirk; GH
Nystul’s Dancing Werelight; GH
Nystul’s Enveloping Darkness; GH
Nystul’s Expeditious Fire Extinguisher; GH
Nystul’s Flash; GH
Nystul’s Golden Revelation; GH
Nystul’s Grue Conjuration; GH
Nystul’s Lightburst; GH
Nystul’s Magic Aura; GH
Nystul’s Magical Mask; GH
Nystul’s Radiant Arch; GH
Nystul’s Radiant Baton; GH
Obar’s Lesser Purification; FR
Obold’s Brightness; FR
Odeen’s Impenetrable Lock; Dragon mag
Odeen’s Magic Cloud; Dragon mag
Odeen’s Magic Tailor; Dragon mag
Odeen’s Secret Word; Dragon mag
Odeen’s Sounding Stick; Dragon mag
Ongeldyn’s Fist; FR
Onsible’s Key; Dragon mag
Othnal’s Spectral Dagger; FR
Otiluke’s Acid Cloud; GH
Otiluke’s Boiling Oil Bath; GH
Otiluke’s Bubbling Buoyancy; GH
Otiluke’s Death Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Diamond Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Dispelling Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Electrical Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Excruciating Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Fire and Ice; GH
Otiluke’s Force Umbrella; GH
Otiluke’s Freezing Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Orb of Containment; GH
Otiluke’s Polar Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Radiant Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Siege Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Smoky Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Steaming Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Telekinetic Sphere; GH
Ottar’s Mask; FR
Otto’s Chime of Release; GH
Otto’s Crystal Rhythms; GH
Otto’s Drums of Despair; GH
Otto’s Gong of Isolation; GH
Otto’s Irresistible Dance; GH
Otto’s Silver Tongue; GH
Otto’s Soothing Vibrations; GH
Otto’s Sure-Footed Shuffle; GH
Otto’s Tin Soldiers; GH
Otto’s Tonal Attack; GH
Otto’s Tones of Forgetfulness; GH
Otto’s Triple Chime; GH
Otto’s Warding Tones; GH
Pelf’s Rancid Arrow; Dragon mag (paroday)
Phezult’s Sleep of Ages; FR
Presper’s Double Wizardry; FR
Presper’s Moonbow; FR
Prismal’s Handy Mirror; WSC
Prismal’s Pictograph; WSC
Prismal’s Revenge; WSC
Prismal’s Reversal; WSC
Prismal’s Wormhole; WSC
Proctiv’s Breach Crystal Sphere; FR
Proctiv’s Move Mountain; FR
Quimby’s Enchanting Gourmet; FR
Ramael’s Cyclical Light; FR
Random’s Commodious Pocket; Imagine mag
Rary’s Aptitude Appropriator; GH
Rary’s Defensive Spell Enhancer; GH
Rary’s Empathic Perception; GH
Rary’s Hesitation; GH
Rary’s Memory Alteration; GH
Rary’s Mind Scan; GH
Rary’s Mind Shield; GH
Rary’s Mnemonic Enhancer; GH
Rary’s Plane Truth; GH
Rary’s Protection from Scrying; GH
Rary’s Replay; GH
Rary’s Spell Enhancer; GH
Rary’s Superior Spell Enhancer; GH
Rary’s Telepathic Bond; GH
Rary’s Urgent Utterance; GH
Rary’s Vicious Missiles; GH
Rastor’s Mystical Spy; Polyhedron
Rhemus’s Exhaustive Dweomerdrain; Dragon mag
Sacremon’s Acid Wit; Polyhedron
Sakkratars’s Circle of Swords; FR
Sakkratars’s Triple Strike; FR
Sammaster’s Conjunction; FR
Sammaster’s Lash; FR
Samprey’s Sensible Sea Sphere; Of Ships and the Sea
Sathrath’s Ingenious Recollection; Mystara
Serrel’s Confining Sphere; Polyhedron
Serrel’s Guardian; Polyhedron
Serrel’s Major Enchantment; Polyhedron
Serrel’s Minor Enchantment; Polyhedron
Serten’s Spell Immunity; PHB
Shaefpaete’s Shadowy Distinction; BR
Shalantha’s Delicate Disks; FR
Shandaril’s Tracer; FR
Shayn’s Infallible Identification; FR
Shoondal’s Seeking; FR
Simbul’s Skeletal Deliquescence; FR
Simbul’s Spell Sequencer; FR
Simbul’s Spell Supremacy; FR
Simbul’s Spell Trigger; FR
Simbul’s Synostodweomer; FR
Slerotin’s Fortitude; Dragon mag
Snilloc’s Major Missile; FR
Snilloc’s Snowball; FR
Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm; FR
Sorrel’s Dirge; Dragon mag
Sortil's Aqueous Transfer; Dragon mag
Spendelarde’s Chaser; FR
Spielbuk’s Pocket Spellbook; Dragon mag
Srinshee’s Spellshift; FR
Storm’s Frozen Moment; FR
Storm’s Spell Thrust; FR
Storm’s Swordfire; FR
Strahd’s Baneful Attractor; Ravenloft
Strahd’s Frightful Joining; Ravenloft
Strahd’s Malefic Meld; Ravenloft
Suric’s Swift Perusal; Mystara
Syluné’s Absolute Immunity; FR
Syluné’s Secret; FR
Syluné’s Streaking Meteor; FR
Syluné’s Viper; FR
Symkalr’s Deathbane Fireball; FR
Symkalr’s Forest Fireball; FR
Symkalr’s Friendly Fireball; FR
Symrustar’s Spellbinding; FR
Talon’s Skitmaster; Bard
Talon’s Soundmaster; Bard
Talon’s Waterproof; Bard
Tanatha’s Melt; Dragon mag
Tasha’s Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter; PHB
Tasirin’s Haunted Sleep; FR
Tasso’s Shriek; FR
Tenser’s Brawl; GH
Tenser’s Deadly Strike; GH
Tenser’s Destructive Resonance; GH
Tenser’s Eye of the Eagle; GH
Tenser’s Eye of the Tiger; GH
Tenser’s Flaming Blade; GH
Tenser’s Floating Disc; GH
Tenser’s Fortunes of War; GH
Tenser’s Giant Strength; GH
Tenser’s Hunting Hawk; GH
Tenser’s Master of Arms; GH
Tenser’s Primal Fury; GH
Tenser’s Running Warrior; GH
Tenser’s Staff of Smiting; GH
Tenser’s Steady Aim; GH
Tenser's Transformation; GH
Theller’s Argauneau; FR
Thiondar’s Permanent Anti-Magic Field; Dungeon
Thultaun’s Thrust; Dragon mag
Thundaerl’s Universal Taster; Dragon mag
Thunguul’s Preservation; Dragon mag
Tobian’s Ultimate Circle; Dragon mag
Tolodine’s Killing Wind; FR
Tonja’s Touchtrap; Dungeon
Tulrun’s Tracer; WSC
Tymessull’s Cerulean Traverse; Dragon mag
Tymessull’s Planar Pacifier; Dragon mag
Tysiln’s Wondrous Carriage; Dragon mag
Vaxall’s Doomstalk; Dungeon
Vecna’s Conflagration; GH
Venom’s Brambletangle; FR
Venom’s Thicketgrowth; FR
Volhom’s Minute Missiles; Dragon mag
Volhom’s Tentacle Arms; Dragon mag
Von Gasik’s Refusal; ToM
Waethra’s Warm Welcome; FR
Ward's Revenge; Dark Sun
Wesley’s Delayed Damage; Chronomancer
Wesley’s Temporal Disjunction; Chronomancer
Wylunde’s Ward; FR
Xult’s Magical Doom; WSC
Zagig’s Amusing Alteration; GH
Zagig’s Canned Laughter; GH
Zagig’s Gender Shift; GH
Zala’s Amberhelm; Dragon mag
Zala’s Deception; Dragon mag
Zala’s Disruption; Dragon mag
Zala’s Forcebuckler; Dragon mag
Zala’s Icejacket; Dragon mag
Zala’s Lifeforce Guardian; Dragon mag

Priest Spells:
Aranen's Divinal Armor; Dragon mag
Blaenther’s Bowls; FR
Henley’s Digit of Disruption; GH
Sol’s Searing Orb; ToM
Spliff’s Wonder Bubbles; Polyhedron
Stromp’s Dwarven Cleaver; Dragon mag
Sustarre’s Transformation; Polyhedron
Chariot of Sustarre; PHB

Jeff

Aulddragon, you are an amazing resource. Thank you.
sleyvas Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 13:14:02
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Odd that there isn't an Elminster something spell...

There's several. Elminster's Evasion immediately comes to mind.
AuldDragon Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 08:02:52
Here are all the 2nd Edition named spells that I could find quickly. May have missed some though. A few Priest spells are included at the end.

Wizard Spells:
Abendroth’s Magical Accountant; College of Wizardy
Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting; ToM
Acererak’s Blackstone; Dragon Mag
Agannazar’s Scorcher; FR
Agra’s Ambush; Polyhedron
Alahandra’s Questing Call; Dragon Mag
Alamanther’s Return; FR
Alamir’s Fundamental Breakdown; ToM
Alaunghaer’s Enchanted Triptych; FR (Dragon spell)
Algarth’s Embattlement; FR
Allisandro’s Binding Curse; Ravenloft
Alustriel’s Banner; FR
Alustriel’s Fang; FR
Alustriel’s Improved Mantle; FR
Alustriel’s Mantle; FR
Alustriel’s Sword of Stars; FR
Alvira’s Stasis Shell; Dragon mag
Alyssindra’s Summons; WSC
Amgig’s Rowers; Dragon mag
Andrui’s Baneful Backfire; WSC
Archveult's Skybolt; WSC
Archveult's Spell Dagger; Polyhedron
Argaster’s Cloak of Shadows; Dragon mag
Arien of Thang-Nor; Dragon mag
Arnvid's Unseen Limb; Dragon mag
Articus’s Devolutionary Warrior; Chronomancer
Articus’s Melee Manager; Chronomancer
Aryeric’s Cloak of Protection; Polyhedron
Avissar’s Bane; Dragon mag
Avissar’s Flaming Weapon; Dragon mag
Azundel’s Purification; FR
Azuth's Exalted Triad; FR (unknown if named for got or Azuth as mortal
Azuth's Fedensor; FR (unknown if named for got or Azuth as mortal
Azuth's Spell Shield; FR (unknown if named for got or Azuth as mortal
Ballant’s Stonesplit; Dragon mag
Ballant’s Stonestrength; Dragon mag
Balliard’s Rejuvenating Touch; WSC
Bands of Sirellyn; PO:SM
Belorigar’s Baldric; FR
Belsham’s Mace; Dragon mag
Beltyn’s Burning Blood; WSC
Bendal’s Swoop; FR
Bigby’s Battering Gauntlet; GH
Bigby’s Besieging Bolt; GH
Bigby’s Bookworm Bane; GH
Bigby’s Clenched Fist; GH
Bigby’s Construction Crew; GH
Bigby’s Crushing Hand; GH
Bigby’s Dextrous Digits; GH
Bigby’s Fantastic Fencers; GH
Bigby’s Feeling Fingers; GH
Bigby’s Force Sculpture; GH
Bigby’s Forceful Hand; GH
Bigby’s Grasping Hand; GH
Bigby’s Interposing Hand; GH
Bigby’s Most Excellent Force Sculpture; GH
Bigby’s Pugnacious Pugilist; GH
Bigby’s Silencing Hand; GH
Bigby’s Strangling Grip; GH
Bigby’s Superior Force Sculpture; GH
Bloodstone’s Frightful Joining; ToM
Bloodstone’s Spectral Steed; ToM
Bowgentle’s Fleeting Journey; FR
Brannart’s Acidic Grip; Mystara
Brester’s Beam of Light; Dragon mag
Bubka’s Superior Identification; Dragon mag
Bugman’s Mug; Dragon mag
Caddelyn’s Catastrophe; WSC
Calder’s Starry Sky; BR
Caligarde’s Claw; WSC
Callistram’s Gondola; WSC
Carroissa’s Appalling Dash; College of Wizardry
Cathala’s Compulsion; FR
Cervate’s Summoning; Dragon mag
Chevic’s Tracer; FR
Daltim’s Fiery Protector; FR
Daltim’s Flaming Fist; FR
Daltim’s Proof Against Fire; FR
Darazell’s Noose; Dragon mag
Dariastren’s Shadow Blight; Dragon mag
Dariastren’s Shadow Well; Dragon mag
Darsson’s Cooling Breeze; FR
Darsson’s Eye in the Sky; FR
Darsson’s Fiery Cube; FR
Darsson’s Music Box; FR
Darsson’s Potion; FR
Dathchaunt’s Deathbolt; FR
Dauntra’s Cloak; Dragon mag
DeGras’s Pilfering Fingers; WSC
Detho’s Delirium; WSC
Dolent’s Helm; Polyhedron
Drawmij’s Adventurer’s Luck; GH
Drawmij’s Beast of Burden; GH
Drawmij’s Beneficent Polymorph; GH
Drawmij’s Breath of Life; GH
Drawmij’s Flying Feat; GH
Drawmij’s Handy Timepiece; GH
Drawmij’s Instant Exit; GH
Drawmij’s Instant Summons; GH
Drawmij’s Iron Sack; GH
Drawmij’s Light Step; GH
Drawmij’s Marvelous Shield; GH
Drawmij’s Merciful Metamorphosis; GH
Drawmij’s Protection from Nonmagical Gas; GH
Drawmij’s Scent Mask; GH
Drawmij’s Swift Mount; GH
Drawmij’s Tool Box; GH
Drenal’s Amok Needles; WSC
Drenal’s Annoying Poke; WSC
Drenal’s Distraction; WSC
Drenal’s Dry Ink; WSC
Drenal’s Eyesore; WSC
Drenal’s Sound Barrier; WSC
Drenal’s Stone Flame; WSC
Duhlark’s Animerge; FR
Duhlark’s Glasstrike; FR
Duhlark’s Glasstrike Trap; FR
Duhlark’s Long Reach; FR
Elminster’s Effulgent Epuration; FR
Elminster’s Evasion; FR
Elminster’s Multiple Mouths; FR
Elonia’s Glamer; Dragon mag
Emirikol’s Question; Mystara
Evard’s Black Tentacles; PHB
Fallion’s Fabulous Fireball; Dragon mag
Fantar’s Reef; Dragon mag
Fantar’s Shoal; Dragon mag
Farrand’s Cognitive Conveyance; Dragon mag
Filverel’s Doorward; FR
Flamsterd’s Flamestrike; FR
Flann’s Finery; Mystara
Forest’s Fiery Constrictor; ToM
Galathar’s Gnostic Chain; FR
Galkyn’s Bolt; FR
Gamalon’s Fiery Backlash; FR
Geirdorn’s Grappling Grasp; FR
Gemidan’s Icicle; FR
Gemidan’s Paralytic Missile; FR
Ghelkyn’s Wounding; FR
Grimwald’s Graymantle; FR
Gunther’s Kaleidoscopic Strike; ToM
Halaster’s Grappling Hand; FR
Hornung’s Baneful Deflector; FR/ToM
Hornung’s Guess; FR/ToM
Hornung’s Random Dispatcher; FR/ToM
Hornung’s Surge Selector; FR/ToM
Iggwilv’s Lightning Cage; GH
Iggwilv’s Timeless Sleep; GH
Ilyykur’s Mantle; FR
Immurk’s Distraction; FR
Iniarv’s Unseen Voice; Dungeon
Irithra’s Spelltouch; FR
Isolde’s Answer; Dragon mag
Ivy’s Irresistible Scent; Polyhedron
Jaggar’s Strengthened Bastion; Mystara
Jalartan’s Miraculum; FR
Jalensifer’s Trident; FR
Janga’s Jewel; Polyhedron
Jannes’ Impressive Demeanor; Dragon mag
Jaran’s Prismatic Blade; Dragon mag
Jhanifer’s Deliquescence; FR
Jonstal’s Double Wizardry; FR
Jonstal’s Improved Double Wizardry; FR
Karsus’s Avatar; FR
Keraptis’ Fantastic Famulus; Dragon mag
Khazid’s Procurement; ToM
Khelben’s Blackstaff; FR
Khelben’s Dweomerdoom; FR
Khelben’s Suspended Silence; FR
Khelben’s Warding Whip; FR
Khidell’s Glamour Glove; FR
Khidell’s Hand; FR
Kieren’s Curse Ward; Dragon mag
Knoslira’s Crypt; Ravenloft
Kreshenk’s Shadow Mask; Dragon mag
Laeral’s Aqueous Column; FR
Laeral’s Crowning Touch; FR
Laeral’s Cutting Hand; FR
Laeral’s Dancing Dweomer; FR
Laeral’s Dancing Whip; FR
Laeral’s Disrobement; FR
Laeral’s Gesture; FR
Laeral’s Invisible Blade; FR
Laeral’s Raging Griffon; FR
Laruin's Blinding Blizzard; Dragon mag
Lauthdryn’s Cleaving; FR
Lefeber’s Weave Mythal; FR
Leomund’s Hidden Lodge; GH
Leomund’s Lamentable Belaborment; GH
Leomund’s Lifeboat; GH
Leomund’s Many Life Preservers; GH
Leomund’s Secret Chest; GH
Leomund’s Secure Shelter; GH
Leomund’s Tiny Hut; GH
Leomund’s Trap; GH
Lorloveim’s Creeping Shadow; ToM
Lorloveim’s Shadowy Transformation; ToM
Lysander’s Bladestorm; PS
Lysander’s Kaleidoscope; PS
Macho’s Uncontrollable Hideous Belching; Dragon mag (parody)
Maddgoth’s Servitor; FR
Malec-Keth’s Flame Fist; ToM
Malraz’s Dramatic Death; Polyhedron
Manor’s Mind Vision; Dragon mag
Manor’s Mindsight; Dragon mag
Manshoon’s Xorn Talons; FR
Mavin’s Create Volcano; FR
Mavin’s Earthfast; FR
Mavin’s Worldweave; FR
Maximilian’s Earthen Grasp; ToM
Maximillian’s Stony Grasp; ToM
Melf’s Acid Arrow; GH
Melf’s Minute Meteors; GH
Melisander’s Harp; FR
Mellix’s Fire Mouth; Dragon mag
Mempter’s Barrier; Polyhedron
Mentap’s Mine; Dragon mag
Merald’s Meld; FR
Merald’s Murderous Mist; FR
Mere’s Conjure Sandlings; GH
Mordenkainen’s Celerity; GH
Mordenkainen’s Defense Against Lycanthropes; GH
Mordenkainen’s Defense Against Nonmagical Reptiles and Amphibians; GH
Mordenkainen’s Disjunction; GH
Mordenkainen’s Electric Arc; GH
Mordenkainen’s Encompassing Vision; GH
Mordenkainen’s Faithful Hound; GH
Mordenkainen’s Faithful Phantom Defenders; GH
Mordenkainen’s Faithful Phantom Guardian; GH
Mordenkainen’s Faithful Phantom Shield-Maidens; GH
Mordenkainen’s Force Missiles; GH
Mordenkainen’s Involuntary Wizardry; GH
Mordenkainen’s Lucubration; GH
Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Mansion; GH
Mordenkainen’s Penultimate Cogitation; GH
Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum; GH
Mordenkainen’s Protection From Avians; GH
Mordenkainen’s Protection From Insects and Arachnids; GH
Mordenkainen’s Protection From Slime; GH
Mordenkainen’s Sword; GH
Morgannaver’s Sting; FR
Morphail’s Unholy Blessing; Mystara
Moryggan’s Mythaleash; FR
Muirara’s Map; FR
Murdock’s Feathery Flyer; ToM
Muritho's Randomscatter; Dragon mag
Murlynd’s Ogre; GH
Murlynd’s Void; GH
Murq’s Mystic Missile; Dragon mag
Mycontil’s Last Resort; FR
Mylsibis’s Arcane Contention; Dragon mag
Mystra’s Miasma; FR
Mystra’s Unraveling; FR
Nahal’s Nonsensical Nullifier; FR/ToM
Nahal’s Reckless Dweomer; FR/ToM
Narcomb’s Battened Hatches; Dragon mag
Nchaser’s Glowing Globe; FR
Nefti’s Spell Recall; Jakandor
Nemicron’s Transference; Polyhedron
Night’s Jambiya; AQ
Nimodes’ Major Delousing; Dragon mag
Nimodes’ Unseen Butler; Dragon mag
Nulathoe’s Ninemen; FR
Nybor’s Gentle Reminder; FR
Nybor’s Joyful Voyage; FR
Nybor’s Mild Admonishment; FR
Nybor’s Stern Reproof; FR
Nybor’s Wrathful Castigation; FR
Nystul’s Blacklight Burst; GH
Nystul’s Blackmote; GH
Nystul’s Blazing Beam; GH
Nystul’s Crystal Dagger; GH
Nystul’s Crystal Dirk; GH
Nystul’s Dancing Werelight; GH
Nystul’s Enveloping Darkness; GH
Nystul’s Expeditious Fire Extinguisher; GH
Nystul’s Flash; GH
Nystul’s Golden Revelation; GH
Nystul’s Grue Conjuration; GH
Nystul’s Lightburst; GH
Nystul’s Magic Aura; GH
Nystul’s Magical Mask; GH
Nystul’s Radiant Arch; GH
Nystul’s Radiant Baton; GH
Obar’s Lesser Purification; FR
Obold’s Brightness; FR
Odeen’s Impenetrable Lock; Dragon mag
Odeen’s Magic Cloud; Dragon mag
Odeen’s Magic Tailor; Dragon mag
Odeen’s Secret Word; Dragon mag
Odeen’s Sounding Stick; Dragon mag
Ongeldyn’s Fist; FR
Onsible’s Key; Dragon mag
Othnal’s Spectral Dagger; FR
Otiluke’s Acid Cloud; GH
Otiluke’s Boiling Oil Bath; GH
Otiluke’s Bubbling Buoyancy; GH
Otiluke’s Death Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Diamond Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Dispelling Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Electrical Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Excruciating Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Fire and Ice; GH
Otiluke’s Force Umbrella; GH
Otiluke’s Freezing Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Orb of Containment; GH
Otiluke’s Polar Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Radiant Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Screen; GH
Otiluke’s Siege Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Smoky Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Steaming Sphere; GH
Otiluke’s Telekinetic Sphere; GH
Ottar’s Mask; FR
Otto’s Chime of Release; GH
Otto’s Crystal Rhythms; GH
Otto’s Drums of Despair; GH
Otto’s Gong of Isolation; GH
Otto’s Irresistible Dance; GH
Otto’s Silver Tongue; GH
Otto’s Soothing Vibrations; GH
Otto’s Sure-Footed Shuffle; GH
Otto’s Tin Soldiers; GH
Otto’s Tonal Attack; GH
Otto’s Tones of Forgetfulness; GH
Otto’s Triple Chime; GH
Otto’s Warding Tones; GH
Pelf’s Rancid Arrow; Dragon mag (paroday)
Phezult’s Sleep of Ages; FR
Presper’s Double Wizardry; FR
Presper’s Moonbow; FR
Prismal’s Handy Mirror; WSC
Prismal’s Pictograph; WSC
Prismal’s Revenge; WSC
Prismal’s Reversal; WSC
Prismal’s Wormhole; WSC
Proctiv’s Breach Crystal Sphere; FR
Proctiv’s Move Mountain; FR
Quimby’s Enchanting Gourmet; FR
Ramael’s Cyclical Light; FR
Random’s Commodious Pocket; Imagine mag
Rary’s Aptitude Appropriator; GH
Rary’s Defensive Spell Enhancer; GH
Rary’s Empathic Perception; GH
Rary’s Hesitation; GH
Rary’s Memory Alteration; GH
Rary’s Mind Scan; GH
Rary’s Mind Shield; GH
Rary’s Mnemonic Enhancer; GH
Rary’s Plane Truth; GH
Rary’s Protection from Scrying; GH
Rary’s Replay; GH
Rary’s Spell Enhancer; GH
Rary’s Superior Spell Enhancer; GH
Rary’s Telepathic Bond; GH
Rary’s Urgent Utterance; GH
Rary’s Vicious Missiles; GH
Rastor’s Mystical Spy; Polyhedron
Rhemus’s Exhaustive Dweomerdrain; Dragon mag
Sacremon’s Acid Wit; Polyhedron
Sakkratars’s Circle of Swords; FR
Sakkratars’s Triple Strike; FR
Sammaster’s Conjunction; FR
Sammaster’s Lash; FR
Samprey’s Sensible Sea Sphere; Of Ships and the Sea
Sathrath’s Ingenious Recollection; Mystara
Serrel’s Confining Sphere; Polyhedron
Serrel’s Guardian; Polyhedron
Serrel’s Major Enchantment; Polyhedron
Serrel’s Minor Enchantment; Polyhedron
Serten’s Spell Immunity; PHB
Shaefpaete’s Shadowy Distinction; BR
Shalantha’s Delicate Disks; FR
Shandaril’s Tracer; FR
Shayn’s Infallible Identification; FR
Shoondal’s Seeking; FR
Simbul’s Skeletal Deliquescence; FR
Simbul’s Spell Sequencer; FR
Simbul’s Spell Supremacy; FR
Simbul’s Spell Trigger; FR
Simbul’s Synostodweomer; FR
Slerotin’s Fortitude; Dragon mag
Snilloc’s Major Missile; FR
Snilloc’s Snowball; FR
Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm; FR
Sorrel’s Dirge; Dragon mag
Sortil's Aqueous Transfer; Dragon mag
Spendelarde’s Chaser; FR
Spielbuk’s Pocket Spellbook; Dragon mag
Srinshee’s Spellshift; FR
Storm’s Frozen Moment; FR
Storm’s Spell Thrust; FR
Storm’s Swordfire; FR
Strahd’s Baneful Attractor; Ravenloft
Strahd’s Frightful Joining; Ravenloft
Strahd’s Malefic Meld; Ravenloft
Suric’s Swift Perusal; Mystara
Syluné’s Absolute Immunity; FR
Syluné’s Secret; FR
Syluné’s Streaking Meteor; FR
Syluné’s Viper; FR
Symkalr’s Deathbane Fireball; FR
Symkalr’s Forest Fireball; FR
Symkalr’s Friendly Fireball; FR
Symrustar’s Spellbinding; FR
Talon’s Skitmaster; Bard
Talon’s Soundmaster; Bard
Talon’s Waterproof; Bard
Tanatha’s Melt; Dragon mag
Tasha’s Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter; PHB
Tasirin’s Haunted Sleep; FR
Tasso’s Shriek; FR
Tenser’s Brawl; GH
Tenser’s Deadly Strike; GH
Tenser’s Destructive Resonance; GH
Tenser’s Eye of the Eagle; GH
Tenser’s Eye of the Tiger; GH
Tenser’s Flaming Blade; GH
Tenser’s Floating Disc; GH
Tenser’s Fortunes of War; GH
Tenser’s Giant Strength; GH
Tenser’s Hunting Hawk; GH
Tenser’s Master of Arms; GH
Tenser’s Primal Fury; GH
Tenser’s Running Warrior; GH
Tenser’s Staff of Smiting; GH
Tenser’s Steady Aim; GH
Tenser's Transformation; GH
Theller’s Argauneau; FR
Thiondar’s Permanent Anti-Magic Field; Dungeon
Thultaun’s Thrust; Dragon mag
Thundaerl’s Universal Taster; Dragon mag
Thunguul’s Preservation; Dragon mag
Tobian’s Ultimate Circle; Dragon mag
Tolodine’s Killing Wind; FR
Tonja’s Touchtrap; Dungeon
Tulrun’s Tracer; WSC
Tymessull’s Cerulean Traverse; Dragon mag
Tymessull’s Planar Pacifier; Dragon mag
Tysiln’s Wondrous Carriage; Dragon mag
Vaxall’s Doomstalk; Dungeon
Vecna’s Conflagration; GH
Venom’s Brambletangle; FR
Venom’s Thicketgrowth; FR
Volhom’s Minute Missiles; Dragon mag
Volhom’s Tentacle Arms; Dragon mag
Von Gasik’s Refusal; ToM
Waethra’s Warm Welcome; FR
Ward's Revenge; Dark Sun
Wesley’s Delayed Damage; Chronomancer
Wesley’s Temporal Disjunction; Chronomancer
Wylunde’s Ward; FR
Xult’s Magical Doom; WSC
Zagig’s Amusing Alteration; GH
Zagig’s Canned Laughter; GH
Zagig’s Gender Shift; GH
Zala’s Amberhelm; Dragon mag
Zala’s Deception; Dragon mag
Zala’s Disruption; Dragon mag
Zala’s Forcebuckler; Dragon mag
Zala’s Icejacket; Dragon mag
Zala’s Lifeforce Guardian; Dragon mag

Priest Spells:
Aranen's Divinal Armor; Dragon mag
Blaenther’s Bowls; FR
Henley’s Digit of Disruption; GH
Sol’s Searing Orb; ToM
Spliff’s Wonder Bubbles; Polyhedron
Stromp’s Dwarven Cleaver; Dragon mag
Sustarre’s Transformation; Polyhedron
Chariot of Sustarre; PHB

Jeff
BadCatMan Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 02:56:29
The 3rd and 3.5 editions used all the traditional spell names for most of their run, and even introduced a few named spells. Some names were knocked off for the SRD/OGL, but it was only in the Spell Compendium that the names were removed in books, as part of the run-up to the much-blander 4th edition.

Several users of the Forgotten Realms Wiki are currently working on a project to attribute spells to their Realms creators, using the lists in Netheril: Empire of Magic. You'll find lots of spells organised by creator already here (though not all were named for their creators, nor are they all from the Realms):
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Spells_by_developer

Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jul 2017 : 01:21:50
quote:

Wooly also made a good point. Named spells, primarily the tons of Greyhawkian spells (Rary, Otto, Bigby, etc), started to disappear once 3E came into being. I believe a lot of it had to do with the OGL/d20 processes and licensed-use requirements.

I've long felt that 3E took all the magic out of magic, myself... Having a name on a spell makes the spell that much more interesting, because now there's some history and personality attached to it.

Warding Whip? Meh, okay, some whip-like spell. Khelben's Warding Whip? Now that sounds more interesting, just because you know the legendary Blackstaff is associated with it.

They did the same thing with magical items. Sure, they greatly simplified the creation of them... But again, at the cost of the magic and wonder of them. Why can't multiple similarly-themed or closely related spells occupy the same stick? Is it a size thing that keeps shocking grasp and lightning bolt from occupying the same small stick? Is a six foot stick somehow a better magic receptacle than a six inch one?

Give me the 2E wand of lighting any day of the week, and keep your 3E wand of lightning bolts. Even if they both functioned the same, the former has a more evocative name than the latter.

3E got rid of one of my fave 2E magic items, too: the wand of misplaced objects.

By putting everything arcane into discreet, neatly organized slots, 3E made magic boring and pedestrian. Magic is one of the biggest appeals of the game, and they tried to suck the flavor out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I otherwise love the 3.x rules -- but they badly mishandled magic in that edition.
Irennan Posted - 05 Jul 2017 : 23:42:04
From the top of my mind: Laeral's Cutting Hand, Auril's Flowers, Eilistraee's Grace, Azuth's Spell Shield, Simbul's Spell Matrix/Trigger, Kelemvor's Grace, Khelben's Suspended Silence. They should all be listed in the Spell Compendium, IIRC, but I don't know their original source (except for Laeral's spell, that comes from the "Seven Sisters" sourcebook).
Crai Posted - 05 Jul 2017 : 22:24:05
To note: I am also compiling all the other campaign setting's named spells, too. Including Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Greyhawk ... and neutral setting named spells that got a lot of traction in the Dragon and Dungeon Magazines.

But the F.R. is my primary focus.
Crai Posted - 05 Jul 2017 : 22:21:05
@Wooly ..... I love Spendelard's Chaser! That's exactly the type of spell I'm looking for. A *named spell*, but clearly of Forgotten Realms origin (compared to the numerous other TSR/WotC spells that had ties to other campaign settings like Greyhawk, Ravenloft, etc.).

@Zeromaru .... There are 2 Elminster spells. Elminster's Effulgent Epuration & Elminster's Evasion. Both of them printed in a 2E and 3E sourcebook.

@TBeholder ... Oh yes. The Netheril, Empire of Magic book will get a serious amount of eyeball work from me as it takes a lot of staple 1E and 2E unnamed spells and then assigns them official F.R. spellcaster name prefixes. Which I like a lot.

Also to note, I am looking for named F.R. spells mentioned in Dragon and Dungeon magazines, Ed Greenwood communiques & F.R. published novels. Also I'll take any named spells that reputable prior TSR/WotC designers/developers (who also love the Realms) may have let loose into the webosphere (like George Krashos, Eric L. Boyd, Tom Costa, Steven Schend, SKR, etc).

Wooly also made a good point. Named spells, primarily the tons of Greyhawkian spells (Rary, Otto, Bigby, etc), started to disappear once 3E came into being. I believe a lot of it had to do with the OGL/d20 processes and licensed-use requirements. Ever since then, there's a lot of people who don't realize that multi-edition staple spells such as Tiny Hut, Magic Aura & Magnificent Mansion once rolled off of gamer tongues as Leomund's Tiny Hut, Nystul's Magic Aura & Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000