Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Volo's Guide to ...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George Krashos Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 07:58:04
Now that Ed has let the tarrasque out of the bag on social media, I can't wait for his first DMs Guild piece which will involve a visit by Mirt to Ormpur, a small "dungeon" set there and ... Volo's Guide to Ormpur. Sheer bliss.

-- George Krashos
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Marco Volo Posted - 31 Oct 2016 : 08:18:22
Great news ! Thanks, George
Markustay Posted - 29 Oct 2016 : 23:45:53
Looking forward to this. I do love me some "Volo's Guides".

Maybe he and I can reconcile with Realmslore, since I am re-doing the FR maps based on the Fonstad ones, which he says are 'the closest thing to my originals'.
Irennan Posted - 26 Oct 2016 : 19:46:07
It's a bit convenient. There are countless anonymous people after all, so it could have been anyone. Volo just got lucky I guess. Although it does make sense, if you think about it, since his proven ability to survive and run away may have led Mystra to think that he would not only be an unsuspectable recipient, but also hard to kill. In any case, it brings Volo back and allows for more books, which is just so needed in this era of the Realms.
sno4wy Posted - 26 Oct 2016 : 18:20:09
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Mystra made him a chosen. She did that as a contingency (since she had foreseen the Spellplague) and hid parts of her essence in the most unsuspectable people, Volo among them. Ed drops this tidbit, among many others, in Death Masks.

Thank you! I haven't read Death Masks yet. This is good to know. :D I guess although Volo is hardly unsuspectable to us, in the Realms he'd just be the equivalent of a wandering journalist who pens things that are perhaps most notable in his world as getting on Elminster's nerves. Sounds more like someone with a death wish than normal Chosen material, huh? XD
Irennan Posted - 26 Oct 2016 : 17:37:59
Mystra made him a chosen. She did that as a contingency (since she had foreseen the Spellplague) and hid parts of her essence in the most unsuspectable people, Volo among them. Ed drops this tidbit, among many others, in Death Masks.
sno4wy Posted - 26 Oct 2016 : 17:32:55
This is super exciting!

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but is anyone able to tell me how Volo is still alive? I couldn't find much information on the FR Wiki about the man himself, other than that he's a scholar and minor wizard. He appears to be human, is it by blessings of the gods and/or his association with Elminster that his life has been extended?

I realize that that tidbit fundamentally doesn't matter, as it's always been about the substance of his guides than the "man" himself. However, is there more information about the Volo behind the guides, at the very least, secrets into his longevity?
Irennan Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 20:18:22
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I wonder what era the guides will be set in. Praying the 1300s like the other guides.

I have a feeling that they will be set in the modern era, tbh, judging from this comment:

quote:
I'm afraid there is no "Volo's Guide to Sword Coast 2." Volo is mentioned in passing in Death Masks and other recent novels. He is the author of the just-released Dungeonology (Matt Forbeck wrote that book and voiced Volo), and I wrote Elminster's introduction (it's in an envelope at the beginning of the book). Elminster and Volo spar in the margins throughout the forthcoming Volo's Guide To Monsters (I wrote them both; the Wizards staffers wrote the meaty monster lore they comment on). Also, coming soon from my pen and DM's Guild, Mirt the Moneylender visits Ormpur, the City of Saffron, is a short fiction tale and an associated "dungeon"...and soon to follow, also from DM's Guild, you'll see Volo's Guide to Ormpur.
Seravin Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 20:08:18
I wonder what era the guides will be set in. Praying the 1300s like the other guides.
Irennan Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 19:15:59
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

How do we convince him to do Volo's Guide to the Moonsea?! :)

Ed has said that he'd rather write many Volo's guide to small regions or single settlements, than fewer but larger guides to whole regions.
Arivia Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 19:00:38
Nice! Super excited for this.
Seravin Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 16:56:02
How do we convince him to do Volo's Guide to the Moonsea?! :)
Brimstone Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 16:07:52
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

What did I miss?

Ed's publishing short stories, mini Volo's guides and adventures on the DMGuild.

SWEET!
Irennan Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 16:03:24
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

What did I miss?

Ed's publishing short stories, mini Volo's guides and adventures on the DMGuild.
Brimstone Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 16:01:23
What did I miss?
Irennan Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 13:17:13
Great news indeed, I'm looking forward to it.
Gary Dallison Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 08:44:49
Now that is a nice early christmas present. I wonder what lore nuggets will be hidden within.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 22 Oct 2016 : 08:14:10
Great News!!!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000