Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FORCE GREY: GIANT HUNTERS!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brimstone Posted - 15 Aug 2016 : 05:30:08
The Journey from Waterdeep Ep1
Giants, Ogres, and Goblins Oh My! Ep2
Frost Giants in the Swamp! Ep3
Seeking the Sun Dragon! Ep4
Awakening Calliope the Bard! Ep5
Battling Displacer Beasts and Rogue fails! Ep6
Fighting the Golem and the Journey Ends! Ep7

SPOILERS: I guess this is a play through of Storm King's Thunder...
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
moonbeast Posted - 21 Aug 2016 : 03:56:22
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Now that you point it out, there's a lot of dice-rolling going on. That's something that I too would personally avoid, but yes: it doesn't really detract from his DMing skills.

Yeah, my only nitpick was the frequent use of dice rolls for every single thing. Other than that, I agree that he is a very good DM…. the way he narrates, the way he interacts with the Players, and the way he allows the PCs to "shine" with their abilities, it's all good. And despite the frequent dice rolls and constant action, he manages to keep the adventure moving on at a good pace.

My further thoughts of dice rolling:

#1. Dice rolling is GOOD if you have a newbie group who are just learning the mechanics of D&D. The dice rolls instill the sense of "what is possible" and what can happen if you do this and you do that. It's a good way to teach the game mechanics to first-time players. The Force Grey players…. they don't seem like first-time D&D players.

#2. For experienced players of the game… it does become tedious. For example, if the high-level Barbarian wants to kick down the (ordinary, non-magical) wooden door, and he has incredibly high STRENGTH and a very high level, it's already presumed that he has way over 95% chance of knocking down that stupid door. If I was the DM, I would NOT waste everyone's time forcing the Barbarian's player to roll a STR check. If Conan wants to kick down that ordinary door, he kicks down that door. Move on to more important things.

Brimstone Posted - 20 Aug 2016 : 20:53:38
I have found Chris Hardwick's character or just how he plays to be annoying and obnoxious. Shelby Fero seems from what I have seen, unsure of herself. You are a Dwarven fighter! Go kick ass with your War hammer.

The other three are my favorites!

I love the way Mercer describes Ashley's Gond divine magic. All mechanical. Bad ass...
froglegg Posted - 20 Aug 2016 : 14:34:24
I have enjoyed it alot so far.

John
Irennan Posted - 20 Aug 2016 : 13:58:30
Now that you point it out, there's a lot of dice-rolling going on. That's something that I too would personally avoid, but yes: it doesn't really detract from his DMing skills.
moonbeast Posted - 20 Aug 2016 : 04:52:14
I'm on Episode 2 right now. The group is fun to watch….. but the DM'ing style is something I'm against….. too much dice-rolling. Every single action and speculation, the DM calls for a die roll. IMHO that slows the game down way too much and unnecessarily tedious. Otherwise, an enjoyable group to watch so far….. and yes, Mercer is a good DM indeed (other than the excessive dice-roll calls).

hashimashadoo Posted - 20 Aug 2016 : 00:30:50
Chris Hardwick is not funny, he is just loud.
Brimstone Posted - 18 Aug 2016 : 12:49:51
Episode 6 is up...
Delwa Posted - 16 Aug 2016 : 03:52:19
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Mercer is a good DM. I am finding Chris Hardwick kind of annoying. Only watched the first two episodes, so I don't know if he gets better.

He gets better about episode 5. Very jelly.
Brimstone Posted - 16 Aug 2016 : 03:24:36
Mercer is a good DM. I am finding Chris Hardwick kind of annoying. Only watched the first two episodes, so I don't know if he gets better.
Irennan Posted - 16 Aug 2016 : 00:39:57
Same.
Delwa Posted - 16 Aug 2016 : 00:14:45
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Their DM is really good.

Aye. He's the kind of DM I wish I was. Gives me a nice, high goal to strive for.
Irennan Posted - 15 Aug 2016 : 23:16:42
Their DM is really good.
Delwa Posted - 15 Aug 2016 : 23:15:30
I'm behind by two episodes. But I've enjoyed the show so far.
Brimstone Posted - 15 Aug 2016 : 05:38:11
Looks like episode 6 will be tomorrow...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000