Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Fire Storm Spell 2nd ed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Graytor Holom Posted - 24 Jun 2013 : 02:09:12
I have a doubt regarding the duration of the 7th level spell on the ph 2nd ed. It says 1 round but the description says it does damage for every round someone is in the area of effect.

Thanks.

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bakra Posted - 27 Jun 2013 : 15:01:02
quote:
Originally posted by Graytor Holom

Thanks for the advice, though i do not agree about the one round duration, afterall this is a 7th lvl spell, on the same level as tsunami and earthquake.

Will try to contact Luke or Ernie. Still wanting to hear everyones comment about this...

Again thanks a lot!

You may also want to contact Steve Winter. He just polished up the re-release of the 2nd edition PHB.
TBeholder Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 17:35:41
IMO... "Duration: 1 round" is not the same as "Duration: instaneous". It starts in the same round when it's cast, and it works during the next round. So, those who couldn't get out of AoE in time or re-entered later take the damage twice.
Graytor Holom Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 08:08:57
Thanks for the advice, though i do not agree about the one round duration, afterall this is a 7th lvl spell, on the same level as tsunami and earthquake.

Will try to contact Luke or Ernie. Still wanting to hear everyones comment about this...

Again thanks a lot!
Graytor Holom Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 08:06:09

Again thanks a lot!
Dalor Darden Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 07:35:50
As for getting a reply, I'll ask Luke or Ernie Gygax what they think...not sure they will have time to answer; but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Dalor Darden Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 07:34:49
I would disagree that it is meant to be one round per level.

While wall of fire lasts longer, it comes nowhere near to covering the vast area that a Firestorm Spell can cover. While the wall is only two dimensional, the Firestorm is three dimensional...it can envelope a great many targets together at once.

In all the years I've played, I have never heard Firestorm lasting more than the one round, simply because anything caught in the spell will STILL be on fire after that one round.

So think of it as a massive "flash" that then causes a major fire after. If such a spell is cast within a grasslands, think of the damage that will result as the spells aftermath sweeps across the plains...never mind how bad a forest fire would be started by such a spell.
Graytor Holom Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 06:58:43
I guess its meant to last 1 round per caster level as the wall of fire spell. During only one round would make the spell not powerful enough for a 7th lvl spell. Been trying to get an offical answer from wotc but havent got any reply from them..
Dalor Darden Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 05:48:42
In AD&D Firestorm was a Druid spell, and it only lasted one round at level 7. However, as a round meant from the segment it was cast until ten segments later, all sorts of individuals might move into/through/near the Firestorm and take damage.

I'm not sure of their intent for 2e...
Ayrik Posted - 26 Jun 2013 : 01:02:26
PHB typos or editing oversight, in this case one you have already detected and corrected.

If you're playing 2E (or neo-2E) then you'd best be prepared to make plenty of house rules, special-case rulings, and manual revisions to every piece of magic which is cast at your table. As well as your items creation, unarmed combat, martial arts, and psionics rules.

Good luck, sir.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000