Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Which novels have made NYT bestseller list?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Venger Posted - 29 May 2013 : 05:26:44
Out of curiosity, which Forgotten Realms novels have made the New York Times bestseller list? I think every Drizzt novel has done so. Have any others made it? Thanks.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Emma Drake Posted - 03 Jun 2013 : 20:21:21
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

<Here> are the lists of past NY Times Best Sellers. You can go back and pull up pdf's for every week that they have on record. Unfortunately, it's not logged and searchable there, so you have to open each week's pdf up and search manually. Ugh.

I went looking for a list as well and found that this link was the only one that seemed to collect all lists in one place, but even it has a ponderous format. I was quite surprised that there was no readily available "all new york times best sellers" list anywhere!
Blueblade Posted - 29 May 2013 : 21:40:02
In the 1980s and earlier, the NYT deliberately excluded all media-related fiction and all "genre" romances, because otherwise its slots would have been constantly filled with Star Wars (and Trek?), movie novelizations, Harlequins, and (in the latter half of the 1980s) gaming fiction.
Only in more recent times did the list reflect paperback originals, too. In terms of sales, the first "wave" of both Dragonlance (i.e. the original Weis & Hickman) and Realms (Bob's early novels, Azure Bonds, Ed's Spellfire, etc.) would have placed high on the lists, had they been considered.
(This information comes from a very interesting panel at BookExpoAmerica by a former NYT staffer, and the answers he gave to my questions re. the D&D novels.)
BB
Blueblade Posted - 29 May 2013 : 21:39:15
In the 1980s and earlier, the NYT deliberately excluded all media-related fiction and all "genre" romances, because otherwise its slots would have been constantly filled with Star Wars (and Trek?), movie novelizations, Harlequins, and (in the latter half of the 1980s) gaming fiction.
Only in more recent times did the list reflect paperback originals, too. In terms of sales, the first "wave" of both Dragonlance (i.e. the original Weis & Hickman) and Realms (Bob's early novels, Azure Bonds, Ed's Spellfire, etc.) would have placed high on the lists, had they been considered.
(This information comes from a very interesting panel at BookExpoAmerica by a former NYT staffer, and the answers he gave to my questions re. the D&D novels.)
BB
BEAST Posted - 29 May 2013 : 18:16:59
<Here> are the lists of past NY Times Best Sellers. You can go back and pull up pdf's for every week that they have on record. Unfortunately, it's not logged and searchable there, so you have to open each week's pdf up and search manually. Ugh.

I think Bob has said that paperback "The Icewind Dale Trilogy" did alright, but I don't know if it was necessarily a best seller or anything. Maybe Homeland changed that? Because something had to serve as the impetus to get The Legacy released as his first hardcover. I believe The Legacy was his first official Best Seller. But I'm not sure, as the lists at that site may only cite hardcovers, and not paperbacks.
Emma Drake Posted - 29 May 2013 : 16:43:59
I know Waterdeep (Richard Awlinson/Troy Denning) made the list.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 29 May 2013 : 15:40:15
Anything with Bob's name on it (such as the War of the Spider Queen series), and I think maybe the Twilight War series was there, but generally speaking, FR fiction is not the NYT's bag. It's somewhat rare for media-related properties to end up there.

Cheers

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000