Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The nightmare no one has considered......

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silverwolfer Posted - 17 Apr 2013 : 20:44:19
According to the old rules, before 4e changed things, if you killed a god, you took the powers they had, this goes also for gods that killed gods.

If Corellon killed Gruumsh , how would he contend with the sudden domain of being over the Orcs, and how much would he be changed by such, in the same way elistree was changed from a killed vhaeraun?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 24 Apr 2013 : 16:30:29
From Chaos comes beauty... and brutality. The fey embrace various aspects of chaos, be it their feral natures or their ability to create unparallelled works of art.

The Goblinoids have merely channeled the chaos inward; the elves, outward. Other fey have gone in other directions.

Gruumsh and Corellon each have their own version of past events, but I fear the true history is somewhere in the middle... it always is.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 24 Apr 2013 : 04:16:58
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
CorellonsDevout

Corellon and Gruumsh are two deities that should be kept SEPARATE. For one thing, the elves and orcs are hated enemies, Corellon and Gruumsh represent different ideologies, and it would really mess with the lore.

For once I agree wholeheartedly with you, CD, even if our reasons differ. I would rather kill a thousand gods than allow any pointy-eared elven filth to pollute my orcish pantheon. But hey, that's just me.

Just as I would hate to have ,smelly orcs polluting my elven pantheon but at least we agree that it would be a terrible mix.
silverwolfer Posted - 23 Apr 2013 : 19:02:49
orcs = unseelie
Ayrik Posted - 23 Apr 2013 : 18:56:31
quote:
CorellonsDevout

Corellon and Gruumsh are two deities that should be kept SEPARATE. For one thing, the elves and orcs are hated enemies, Corellon and Gruumsh represent different ideologies, and it would really mess with the lore.

For once I agree wholeheartedly with you, CD, even if our reasons differ. I would rather kill a thousand gods than allow any pointy-eared elven filth to pollute my orcish pantheon. But hey, that's just me.
Aldrick Posted - 23 Apr 2013 : 02:17:28
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Sure, it'd throw a wrench in the status quo. However, it wouldn't necessarily "break" anything about the setting. It'd be a significant change, one with far reaching repercussions that are virtually impossible to map out... however, I don't see anything lore-wise that would say it COULD NOT happen.

I'm not advocating for it to happen, but I think a curse on both Corellon and Gruumsh by Luthic is a possible "explanation" for how such a thing could be a "valid" outcome. I could see Ao standing behind such a move as that seems to be in line how he's treated other such activities by the gods.

More interesting than the resulting deity, I think, would be the outcome for Orcish and Elven Pantheons as well as the respective races.

Besides, Orc's aren't all that different from humans in FR. They're not supernaturally evil. So the Elven racial hatred of Orcs is just racism. At least the Orcs can use the excuse that they don't know any better, but the Elves are supposed to be good aligned.

Humans from an Elven perspective aren't really all that different from Orcs in many cases, and yet the EV is supposed to be evil... I guess it's just another fantasy example of ugly = evil and pretty = good.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

On the other hand, I consider all goblinoids (including Orcs) as a long-lost offshoot fey race, ergo its not as far-fetched as it may first seem.

My take is similar to the one in the Saga of Pleiocene Exile series, if anyone has read that... minus the 'alieness'. Personally, I would have connected it to Faerzress radiation... but they went a totally different route with that.

Its really not all that different then the Tolkienesque version - the Orcs are corrupted forms of elves. If Corellon only has love in is heart for his 'pretty' children, then that makes him a very shallow god indeed.

And according to that 4e article, Corellon and Grumsh are theoretically brothers, so it all makes sense. At least to me.

I treat my Orcs and Elves similarly. They all have their roots in the Feywild. The Elves were originally Eladrin who moved to various prime worlds. When the Eladrin settle a new location they quickly adapt to that location - hence how we get all these crazy sub-races for Elves. This is also why Elves have such a close connection to the Weave, and their High Magic is just a mix of ancient traditional Eladrin fey magic and the Weave. The Eladrin went on to populate a planet that they named Faerie, and many Elves from Faerie migrated to the Realms. Arvandor used to be part of the Feywild, and most of the Elven Pantheon used to be powerful Archfey before ascending to divinity.

The Orcs and Goblinkin also have Unseelie Fey origins, making them somewhat distant cousins to the Elves. Many of the other races also have planar origins; for example Dwarves could trace their roots back to a proto-dwarf race on the Plane of Earth.

Humans either come from other Prime Worlds or naturally evolve. They aren't "created" like many other races. (The Proto-Dwarves, for example, were carved from Living Stone by Moradin. The first Eladrin were born from the trees and plants of Corellon's forest grove. Etc.)
Markustay Posted - 23 Apr 2013 : 00:26:35
On the other hand, I consider all goblinoids (including Orcs) as a long-lost offshoot fey race, ergo its not as far-fetched as it may first seem.

My take is similar to the one in the Saga of Pleiocene Exile series, if anyone has read that... minus the 'alieness'. Personally, I would have connected it to Faerzress radiation... but they went a totally different route with that.

Its really not all that different then the Tolkienesque version - the Orcs are corrupted forms of elves. If Corellon only has love in is heart for his 'pretty' children, then that makes him a very shallow god indeed.

And according to that 4e article, Corellon and Grumsh are theoretically brothers, so it all makes sense. At least to me.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 23 Apr 2013 : 00:17:06
Aldrick Posted - 22 Apr 2013 : 20:48:17
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

quote:

When Gruumsh killed Re, Re transferred his powers to his son, Horus, and Horus-Re was born. In the laughably impossible scenario of Corellon killing Gruumsh, I'd imagine Gruumsh would transfer his power to Obould, rather than allow the horrible abomination that would be Corelluumsh to be born.

I was actually going to make a silly joke about "Corelluumsh" so I went to Google to search for an image of a Half-Orc Half-Elf... and then I found something awesome. I found a link to this image. Which in turn led me to a homebrewed race called the Voldur.

Now, I kinda want this to happen.

You know, I imagine it might surprise a few people but I'm actually not against the idea of orc/elf crossbreeds. And that particular one looks very cool, though I still need to read the homebrewed lore on it I think I might end up borrowing it.

I just think Corelluumsh(TM) is a terrible idea.

Of course Corelluumsh is a terrible idea. It would basically devastate both the Elven and the Orcish pantheon - throwing both into utter chaos.

If that's someone's goal though, then I say go for it. Although, I'd call him something cooler...

--------------

Korumsh
The Lord of Bastards, the Cursed God, the Reviled Abomination, the Twisted One, the Lord of Nothing, the Fallen King, the One Upon Whom All Spit
Demigod
Symbol: The Orcish Rune for Outcast
Home Plane: The Vale of the Fallen King (demiplane)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral (You can use either Chaotic Neutral or Neutral when picking Korumsh as your patron deity.)
Portfolios: Battle Songs, Conflict, Equality Among Races, Outcasts, Revolution, Spears, Survival, the Voldur
Worshipers: The Voldur, Outcasts, the Downtrodden, Idealistic Revolutionaries, those who strive for equality among the races, utopian dreamers, gypsies
Cleric Alignments: (Chaotic Neutral) N, CN, CG, CE / (Neutral) LN, N, CN, NG, NE
Favored Weapon: Spear

Riding astride a great song dragon steed known as Fahdondodrem (Pronounced: FAW-don-do-DREM; Meaning: Friend of Peace), the Fallen King surveys the lands and conflicts below, granting aid to the downtrodden and outcasts. A moody deity prone to melancholy he is most inspired by great acts of heroism and idealistic revolutionaries. Even though his heart is frequently moved by the plight of the downtrodden and outcasts, he is more quickly moved to rage against those who cause harm to such people - especially if it is unjustified. As a result, many gypsies and outcasts wear his symbol openly to ward off those who would do them harm. A common curse hurled at those of greater social station: "May the One Upon Whom All Spit Curse Your Soul!"

Korumsh is known to favor tournaments that test the skill of his faithful, particularly when accompanied by song. The faithful of the Fallen King often collect and memorize battle songs, which they sing as they enter into battle. They favor battle songs from all races, but particularly songs from Orcs and Elves.

The Twisted One is the patron father of the Voldur who are said to resemble his image. The Voldur, born of the union of Elf and Orc, are outcasts among their own people. Many of Korumsh's clergy are Voldur, but the deity does not turn his back on anyone who seeks to give him praise. Of all the gods, Korumsh is perhaps the most welcoming of all people regardless of race and social station.

The Cult of the True King is the largest and most well known of the deities cults. Believed to be located somewhere near the Druarwood in the Lands Against the Wall - to the North of Silverymoon - they do constant battle with orcs, giants, and goblinkin. They have an uneasy relationship with Silverymoon and the League of the Silver Marches, even as they seek to become the seventh signatory.

The clerics of Korumsh pray for spells at dawn. They have numerous holy days which vary from cult to cult, often commemorating important local achievements. The most important, however, takes place during the Feast of the Moon, in which they honor the dead who did not live to see the foretold coming age. During the feast each individual renews any vows and pledges made to Korumsh as well as making new ones that he hopes to accomplish in the following year. Finally, each cult is expected to hold a festival known as the Song and Dance of the Spears in Korumsh's honor; a tournament that involves singing, drinking, and non-lethal combat with spears.

History/Relationships: Korumsh arose from the merging of Corellon and Gruumsh, during a war that took place in Arvandor. The Blood Moon Witch, Luthic - the wife of Gruumsh - cursed them both as Corellon drove his blade into Gruumsh; forcing the elven deity to absorb the essence of the orc deity. This destroyed them both and a new deity, Korumsh was born from their divine fragments. The curse was so powerful that it cursed all on the battle field - orc and elf alike - twisting them into the first Voldur, and leading to them being cast out by their own people.

Korumsh has numerous deities who are sympathetic toward him and his cause namely Brandobaris, Chauntea, Finder Wyvernspur, Hoar, Ilmater, Lathander, Lliira, Lurue, Mielikki, Selune, and Shaundakul.

However, his closest allies are Fenmarel Mestarine, Beshaba, and Shiallia. Fenmarel finds him to be a kindred spirit as an outcast from the Elven pantheon. Beshaba has romantic feelings toward him, and though Korumsh has feelings for Beshaba his heart seems to be moved toward Shiallia. He seeks to turn Beshaba away from her path of vengeance and resentment, and to instead direct her power toward the deserving. He seeks to protect Shiallia from any who would cause her harm, and is greatly moved by her innocence and love of life.

As for enemies; Korumsh has many. Though most choose to ignore such a fledgling deity, he has attracted the ire of Siamorphe, Bane, Talos, Cyric, Malar, the entire Orc Pantheon, the Drow Pantheon (as many who once worshiped Eilistraee have turned to him), and many within the Elven Pantheon as well.

Dogma: Keep your eyes always toward the horizon, and do not weep for what has been lost. A cunning mind always sees a path to victory. Preach among yourselves, and to all who will listen of a coming age where all shall live united as a single people under my symbol. Cast aside the old divisions, and carve out lands for a new kingdom. Nurture and defend the land against those who would either claim it for themselves or defile it. The land has no owner, for it belongs to all, and it's bounty must be made available to feed those who are hungry. Speak the truth among yourselves; that a time will come when the Lord of Nothing shall become the Lord of Everything, when the Fallen King shall be the Only King, and the One Upon Whom All Spit shall be the One Who All Praise. Know this well; those that have been made low shall be made high in my domain, and those that have been made high shall be made low; for all mortals are equal in my eyes regardless of their race or station at birth. Weep not for those who are lost in the struggle, for they have given themselves to a cause greater than themselves.

--------------

I can't believe I just wrote all that up.

Now, I actually have to use it... I guess I'll just change the background a bit. Instead of Korumsh being born from a merger between Corellon and Gruumsh...

New backstory: Luthic falls for a Chosen of Corellon; Coronal Ynloeth of Shantel Othreier. Attracted by his beauty, grace in battle, and his melodious voice she conspired to make him hers. Creating an avatar and transforming herself into a Nymph, she seduced Ynloeth. After copulating with him for six days, Gruumsh discovered what was going on and forced her to reveal her true identity to her elven lover. Enraged at her lover seeing her true form, she devoured him (literally - she ate him alive). After being beaten by Gruumsh for her betrayal, she discovered that she was pregnant. Fleeing deep into what would become known as the High Forest, she labored for seven days until she became sick and began to regurgitate the Coronal. There in the midst of the half-digested remains was the infant Korumsh. She left the infant along side a small pond in the forest, where it was eventually discovered and raised by Lurue.

Now add in some things about him being a Hercules like figure, becoming a king, losing it all, blah blah blah... ultimately ascending to divinity. Then we have a newly fledged deity for the Realms.

That's a bit messed up. Luthic apparently had a Zeus moment.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 22 Apr 2013 : 08:01:32
quote:

quote:

When Gruumsh killed Re, Re transferred his powers to his son, Horus, and Horus-Re was born. In the laughably impossible scenario of Corellon killing Gruumsh, I'd imagine Gruumsh would transfer his power to Obould, rather than allow the horrible abomination that would be Corelluumsh to be born.

I was actually going to make a silly joke about "Corelluumsh" so I went to Google to search for an image of a Half-Orc Half-Elf... and then I found something awesome. I found a link to this image. Which in turn led me to a homebrewed race called the Voldur.

You know, I imagine it might surprise a few people but I'm actually not against the idea of orc/elf crossbreeds. And that particular one looks very cool, though I still need to read the homebrewed lore on it I think I might end up borrowing it.

I just think Corelluumsh(TM) is a terrible idea.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 21 Apr 2013 : 00:07:16
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

I'm happy to say I picked up Eye of Justice again. I'll admit I was hesitant to continue reading it, not because I didn't like it, but because of the choices WotC has made regarding authors, and how some are being pushed to the background, so we don't know when the next Shadowbane novel will come out, right? I know you're writing it, though.
It seems odd that you would protest WotC discontinuing support for one of its authors by ceasing to support that author?

Or was it concern about the continuance of the story? Because it *will* continue--it's just a matter of time.

Cheers

Oh, I never meant to suggest that I wouldn't support the author! Of course I do, and I have the book, so it's not as though I didn't buy it. I was planning to continue reading it, because I greatly enjoy it. All that intrigue! I was just waiting, I guess you could say. I know you're working on the next one, but since Wizards is focusing on the Sundering, it just sounded like, to me at least, the other pending series wouldn't be getting published any time soon, and that's why I was waiting until the "time got closer". That was the impression I got. I never meant to give the impression that I don't support you or the other authors. There are series I would really like to see continue.

But I'm reading it, and am 82% through, based on my Kindle And this way I could post those reviews you encourage us to do And I also realized it would likely be beneficial for me to finish it before the Sundering happened lol. My goal is to finish all pre-Sundering novels before the Companions. Not sure if I'll make it, but I'll try. At least I can get most of them.
Ayrik Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 23:57:34
quote:
silverwolfer

According to the old rules, before 4e changed things, if you killed a god, you took the powers they had, this goes also for gods that killed gods.

Well, no. The 2E Realms installed the premise of Ao-whimsically-giveth-and-taketh-away. 3E Realms had several examples of powers using other powers as pawns in games where yet other powers swooped in to steal the prize. Come to think of it, even AD&D (1E) and some of D&D (Basic, Expert, etc) modules were based on godly power games where power was seized and stolen by other gods ... and let's not even mention rather detailed rules within the D&D Immortals material.

If a god is destroyed then most often that god's power is up for grabs, and most often the first person to grab at it is the godslayer. But sometimes the power is destroyed, or distributed, simply dissipates, or is assimilated within some other deity. Or can even spontaneously catalyze into a new god the way Mystra sometimes does.

Also remember that game rules and game settings and Forgotten Realms are distinct things, and though they overlap, there is no requirement for (indeed, no example of) a strict correlation between them, especially when dealing with details which the designers/authors have very deliberately left vague.
Mirtek Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 17:18:09
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

I think that's the very reason that Tempus hasn't killed Garagos, because he doesn't want to absorb the darker facets of war which Garagos represents.

Basically killing Garoagos would lead to one of three results and neither are pleasant for Tempus:

a) The spoils go to Tempus. That would mean that Tempus would have to take on the darker aspects of war that he's currently glad about being handled by someone else and not him.

b) The spoils go to the next best suitable entity. That could be Gruumsh for example. Now instead of having a demigod of war that he can easily hold in check and is no threat to wrestle the total portfolio from him, Tempus suddenly has to face a fellow greater power that now has a stake in taking the complete portfolio from him.

c) as b) except that it goes to an entity about as powerful as Garagos was. Not such a threat as version b), but also just a return to the status quo and thus killing Garagos was all for nothing
Mirtek Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 16:52:34
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

Actually that was only how it usually happened, but 2e Faith&Avatars already said that this was not the rule. So you could kill a deity and end up empty handed for all your efforts.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 15:15:05
quote:

quote:

There's a book by Rite Publishing called In the Company of Monsters. It presents several alternative playable racial classes: gargoyles, giants, ironborn, minotaurs, restless souls (people who died and were brought back, but aren't quite as they were before), and the wyrd. The latter race is a crossbred race that's bred true; they are descended from the forced union of elves and ogre magi.
Gyor Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 13:45:47
Hoar works for Bane in 4e and is now of evil alignment, not lawful nuetral in 4e.
Gyor Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 13:43:47
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I think to absorb a Gods power one has to be compatable with it, if its anthema to ones nature it will not normally happen except under special circumstances.

I'd add that when Zandilar was pregnant with her son she was absorbed into Sharess before he was born and that may have left him more suspetible to absording another being's divinity.

Just wondering, where'd this about Zandilar being pregnant come from? Who was the child?

Nm, found it, didn't realize that's where Selvetarm came from.

Yeah sadly Sharess and Selvetarm mother son relationship did not turn out well in the end. Still better then Selvetarm's relationship with his father, at least Selvetarm didn't try and kill Sharess . Still doubt Sharess approved of Selvetarm hooking up with his own grandmother, especially as evil as she was.
sleyvas Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 12:56:07
quote:

This premise (a god kills another god and absorbs his/her portfolio, Highlander style) is an important component of the heresy of the Threefold God from my Shadowbane series.

Not to put in a shameless plug or anything.

Cheers

Spoiler Alert - highlight below
What does this say about the heresy of the threefold god that somehow Assuran/Hoar has been tied into it? I believe he's not around in 4E (could be wrong, I quit reading most campaign material after the 4e FRCS)
Aldrick Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 07:03:33
quote:

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 06:53:37
quote:

I'm happy to say I picked up Eye of Justice again. I'll admit I was hesitant to continue reading it, not because I didn't like it, but because of the choices WotC has made regarding authors, and how some are being pushed to the background, so we don't know when the next Shadowbane novel will come out, right? I know you're writing it, though.
It seems odd that you would protest WotC discontinuing support for one of its authors by ceasing to support that author?

Or was it concern about the continuance of the story? Because it *will* continue--it's just a matter of time.

Cheers
CorellonsDevout Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 04:34:52
quote:

This premise (a god kills another god and absorbs his/her portfolio, Highlander style) is an important component of the heresy of the Threefold God from my Shadowbane series.

Cheers

@CoA: although we likely disagree why it would be the case, I can at least agree with you that Corelluumsh would be an abomination.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 01:23:22
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Apr 2013 : 00:44:01

Cheers
sleyvas Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 22:43:20
quote:

quote:

I think to absorb a Gods power one has to be compatable with it, if its anthema to ones nature it will not normally happen except under special circumstances.

I'd add that when Zandilar was pregnant with her son she was absorbed into Sharess before he was born and that may have left him more suspetible to absording another being's divinity.

Just wondering, where'd this about Zandilar being pregnant come from? Who was the child?

Nm, found it, didn't realize that's where Selvetarm came from.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 22:36:59
quote:

Aldrick Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 22:12:56
quote:

quote:

It's conceivable that Ao could force a portfolio onto another deity for any reason. So, if Corellon killed Gruumsh and he attempted to refuse one or more of his portfolios, Ao could say, 'No, suck it up. You're God of the Orcs now.' ...and there may not be a lot Corellon could do about it.

And all hell would break lose. Orcs and elves, hated enemies, are now following the same deity, who is both an orc and an elf

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

quote:
It's conceivable that Ao could force a portfolio onto another deity for any reason. So, if Corellon killed Gruumsh and he attempted to refuse one or more of his portfolios, Ao could say, 'No, suck it up. You're God of the Orcs now.' ...and there may not be a lot Corellon could do about it.

From what little information we have on Ao I would find this highly doubtful. His primary concern seems to be ensuring the gods maintain the balance and adjudicating disputes between them.

I never said it was likely. However, we have no reason to believe that Ao couldn't force whatever portfolio's he wanted onto another deity. We know that he's responsible for giving them out, and that he has the ability to take them away.

So, it ultimately comes down to a DM's decision, and they'd need to give Ao suitable motivation (even if it's never explained and doesn't seem to make sense).

I think if Corellon was given Gruumsh's portfolio's he'd become a highly altered deity... he'd change in some big and significant ways. The other Elven deities may even band together to cast him out of the Elven Pantheon.

How and why such a thing would happen... who can say? My vote would be a treacherous power play from Luthic, where she curses Corellon and betrays Gruumsh in an attempt to rule the Orcs through her (easily manipulated) son Bahgtru.
Gyor Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 16:06:23
Also the Goal for 5e is to bring Gods back not kill off more.
Gyor Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 15:00:47

The Arcanamach Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 02:55:14
quote:

From what little information we have on Ao I would find this highly doubtful. His primary concern seems to be ensuring the gods maintain the balance and adjudicating disputes between them.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 19 Apr 2013 : 01:50:18
quote:

And all hell would break lose. Orcs and elves, hated enemies, are now following the same deity, who is both an orc and an elf
Barastir Posted - 18 Apr 2013 : 14:50:09
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

I think that's the very reason that Tempus hasn't killed Garagos, because he doesn't want to absorb the darker facets of war which Garagos represents.

Facets that Targus/Garagos himself probably absorbed from other deity or entity in the past, since his portfolio in the days of Netheril was more like Tempus' in the present(?) Realms.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000