Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Share your favorite Elminster quotes!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Thunderlungs Posted - 03 Aug 2011 : 07:54:55
Well, after a substantial amount of Googling, I can't find ANY decent collections of Elminster's most memorable quotes ANYwhere online. Let's get this started! The internet needs it!

I suppose I should lead by example here and contribute. Not very epic, but one of my favorite moments is in Shadows of Doom, when Irreph Mulmar worriedly says "We're grateful for your help and all, but we've had a belly-full of wizards running things...", and Elminster blinks incredulously and says "By the good gods, man! What would I want to rule anyplace for?!"

Also, from the Baldur's Gate II handbook:
"Such organizations (the Cowled Wizards) give wizards like me a bad name!" - Volo
"Your bad name is your own doing." - Elminster

Ahhh, gotta love that spry, witty, magnificent fictional ol' coot! Hahaha.
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 01 Jul 2012 : 17:43:25
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

"Mystra, ye do like to test me don't you?"

The unwritten thoughts of our favorite mage one day when Storm was bending over provocatively in front of him, all while the Simbul was watching him closely

In a situation like that, my thoughts would have been more like "Hey, look how intently I'm staring at this wall in an entirely different direction!"

LOL, spoken like a man who has seen the crazy come out in his girl.... oh wait, that'd be all of us.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jun 2012 : 17:13:14
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The unwritten thoughts of our favorite mage one day when Storm was bending over provocatively in front of him, all while the Simbul was watching him closely

In a situation like that, my thoughts would have been more like "Hey, look how intently I'm staring at this wall in an entirely different direction!"
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jun 2012 : 15:21:18

Thauranil Posted - 29 Jun 2012 : 11:05:05
“Life has no meaning but what we give it. I wish a few more of ye would give it a little.”
Elminster: The Making of a Mage
LordXenophon Posted - 29 Jun 2012 : 01:03:19
"It must have been fun growing up as a powerful wizard."

Not a quote from Elminster, but a thought about him by someone who was looking for him at the beginning of Elminster, the Making of a Mage.
althen artren Posted - 29 Jun 2012 : 00:42:36
I like the whole "ahem" when he is about to be witty, or when he has just been witty.
Thauranil Posted - 29 May 2012 : 08:14:19
" Fly, you fools" . Oh wait that was some other irascible old wizard.
Yoss Posted - 28 May 2012 : 16:04:14
I'm blanking on exactly what, and too lazy to go into the other room and grab the book to look, but I know there was definitely something in the making of a mage I'd call a favorite.
Dennis Posted - 27 May 2012 : 03:08:46
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I like the times he's stunned into silence and doesn't have a witty retort, because characters that have actual or percieved control over too many situations annoy me.

Like your namesake.
Lord Karsus Posted - 26 May 2012 : 21:01:17
-I like the times he's stunned into silence and doesn't have a witty retort, because characters that have actual or percieved control over too many situations annoy me.
Cpt420 Posted - 25 May 2012 : 23:04:16
My favorite Elm saying would be from the knights of myth drannor series, when he drops the many parts from manshoons different clones and his voice comes out of the mouth ans say "aye entertainment"
TBeholder Posted - 12 Mar 2012 : 15:52:54
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical:
[4] Elminster: Delusions this grand are the final frightening stages of the descent into babbling idiocy. Hmmm, perhaps the lad would've made a good mage after all...
Crust Posted - 11 Mar 2012 : 03:35:57
My favorite Elminster quote is in my signature.
Dennis Posted - 25 Feb 2012 : 04:12:26

Elminster, upon seeing Manshoon appear a few yards before him, summoned a can of 'something' he bought during one of his visits to Earth, raised it, and said: "How many cans of insecticides must I spray to rid of you?"
Markustay Posted - 24 Feb 2012 : 20:41:45
"I'm getting too old for this".

One he should have said:
"Excuse me, I seem to have stepped in some Manshoon".
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 21 Feb 2012 : 05:27:00
From Elminster Must Die, page 59, in response to an arrogant War Wizard proclaiming that "nothing matters except winning": "Oh? If nothing matters, lad, there's nothing worth fighting for."
TBeholder Posted - 21 Feb 2012 : 05:05:16
Just about everything, really.
quote:
As if keeping an undead ferret in her tunic weren't enough to drive civilized company away, she spent her last social gathering explaining the disparate relative effects of falling damage on living and undead rat squirrels to two decidedly uncomfortable apprentice mages with good prospects.
- Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix 1
AdamBridger Posted - 14 Aug 2011 : 11:58:37
Never actually read an Elminster book. Recently bought the Elminster Ascending Omnibus and its in my to read list so i'll add my favourite quotes when i time to read it.
Andrekan Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 04:23:33
Ye had to ask
Kno Posted - 11 Aug 2011 : 14:16:48
In the Realms, the even-armed cross is used as an ornament and not a holy symbol, and it is commonly seen in that decorative role.-vgatm
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Aug 2011 : 23:22:27
My favorite is in Spellfire, where, as I seem to recall, Torm (the KoMD Torm) is hanging from a windowledge when he accidentally puts his hand in a bird's nest and squashes the occupant. "Yuck," says Torm, at which point the bird looks down dubiously at him and says--in Elminster's voice--"Well, how do you think I feel about it?"

Cheers
Steven Schend Posted - 10 Aug 2011 : 19:48:49
I'll add my favorite (as it's also the first I got to read before anyone else, within the Ruins of Undermountain ms):

"Undermountain? Ah yes, [trimmed for speed & sanity's sake] the largest known mass grave in Faerun today."
Thunderlungs Posted - 05 Aug 2011 : 16:12:43
I guess an easy addition are his rather humorous signs around his tower:

"Gone gathering spell components." (This sign at the base of the path is very old and weather beaten, and most pay it little heed.)
"No trespassing. Violators should notify next of kin. Have a pleasant day."
"An archmage often can react poorly to interruption. Please reconsider before it is too late."
"Trespassers could die a quick and certain death or they could be invited in for stew. Thank you for thinking better of disturbing my privacy."
"Rumors of spike-filled pits along this path are almost totally false. Thank you for your caution."
"This ancient path
is cracked and paved
with the bones of those
who could not behave."

Thunderlungs Posted - 05 Aug 2011 : 16:08:26
Well, this post now shows up as the 5th result when you google "Elminster quotes", so let's do this!
Dennis Posted - 04 Aug 2011 : 15:12:48

I have a lot of favorites. But alas, I'm too lazy right now to look for my notes, which are in hefty piles. Perhaps it's time that I type and save them as .doc files for easy retrieval. But I'm too lazy to do that, either.
The Sage Posted - 04 Aug 2011 : 15:06:08
I'll be honest... I can't pick a favourite. I treasure practically every verbal utterance Elminster makes!
Thunderlungs Posted - 04 Aug 2011 : 09:56:54
50 views and... Really? No input at all? Am I wrong to be surprised about this?
Thunderlungs Posted - 03 Aug 2011 : 15:45:10
23 views, 0 responses? Come on, guys... :(

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000