Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Fantasy Novel That Made You Cry *Spoilers*

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 03 Nov 2010 : 15:52:23

I'm writing an article, entitled The First Novel That Made Me Cry, for my friend's magazine. Of course, my subject is not an FR book, as I discovered the Realms only three years ago; and I've been reading novels ever since elementary. Anyway, while writing the said article, I am also reminded of some FR books that ALMOST – take note of the word, please – made me cry. One is Shadowrealm; that scene when Brennus learned of his mother's death. I could really feel how hurt he was, not only because his own brother did it, but because his father had known about it a long time ago yet had never done anything about it. It's implicit in his words that he loved and valued his mother more than their city, more than their empire, more than anyone in his family. The mother-son relationship is something I can very well relate to; I was very close with my mother (May she rest in peace).

I cannot recall in which particular book in the TW series this next example of mine happened, but I guess it's in Shadowstorm. The scene is when Abelar mourned for his son. Incidentally, I have a cousin who, like Abelar's son, is a 'special child,' and is very dear to me. Abelar's later 'change of heart' is something I partly hate (the brooding sometimes became too much), but mostly I understand. And I did pity him. He often bathed in special favors from his god, yet that same god could not even save the very person who meant the world to him...

Please note also that these examples are the very first I can recall right now. I am pretty sure that at some point in time a few other FR novels also almost made me cry...

So, fellow scribes, are there FR or other fantasy books that almost, or really made you cry? What particular scene?

Edit: Instead of starting another thread, I thought I might as well edit this one, since its original title and the reasons behind it are just similar. For those who are wondering, its original title was "The First FR Novel That Made You Cry."
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dennis Posted - 12 Nov 2011 : 08:18:44
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

"Why are they crying? It's not even a sad song."
"They're remembering who they're not singing it with."

I read something similar, though not a fantasy novel. Truly touching.
Icelander Posted - 12 Nov 2011 : 03:27:53
The Fellowship of the Ring. "I will take the Ring, though I do not know the way."

Death of Boromir, The Two Towers. The funeral, the poems... everything.

And most of the rest of the Lord of the Rings. Cried like a baby when I first read them, still tear up today when I read particular passages or see Peter Jackson's excellent vision of the trilogy on screen.

Recently, the Remembrance poppies in Sir Terry's Night Watch. And the song. A true soldier's song, sentimental, with dirty bits.

"Why are they crying? It's not even a sad song."
"They're remembering who they're not singing it with."
Sousana Posted - 06 Nov 2011 : 19:05:47
Sorry. I realize now I should have been clearer. I was talking about the computer game, not the book. =)
Dennis Posted - 06 Nov 2011 : 18:02:06
quote:
Originally posted by Sousana

There are other sources too: Planescape: Torment, the memory crystal about regret - the captain of the flying armada telling his lieutenant (and himself) that the cities they are reducing to gravel with their bombs hold only traitors, not men, women and children.

I was intrigued by the blurb and cover of that book. I bought it from a second-hand bookstore not too long ago. But for some incomprehensible reason, I couldn't find it in my To-Read stacks.
Tamsar Posted - 05 Nov 2011 : 16:50:15
Two scenes from two different books spring to mind for me, neither of which are FR books. The first is Prince Diarmuid's death scene in The Darkest Road (The final book in Fionnavar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gaverial Kay). Every single time I've read it, it gets me every time.

The second scene is the death of Jaim Grymuach in Ravenheart by DAvid Gemmell, he succeeded in what he meant to do, knowing he would die, he still did it, there was no way he couldn't not do it. "Do you really think I would let them burn my woman?" enough said.

The closest a FR book has had me to tears is the scene where Erevis Cale and Riven kill the Priest of Talos who had been abusing the kidnapped mentally disabled son of the Paladin Abelar, certainly had bright eyes by the end of that scene.
Sousana Posted - 04 Nov 2011 : 14:38:48
Well, a few scenes have stuck with me emotionally. In Vampire of the Mists, the ending always made me feel strange inside. In Spellfire, when Elminster says farewell to his now-dead apprentice chokes me up. In Starless Night, when Catti-Brie and Drizz't meet again. In Death Gate, when Iridal does what she should have done several years ago. In A Wizard of Earthsea, when he faces the shadow and names it.

There are other sources too: Planescape: Torment, the memory crystal about regret - the captain of the flying armada telling his lieutenant (and himself) that the cities they are reducing to gravel with their bombs hold only traitors, not men, women and children.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 12:41:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

quote:

I really need to get around to reading the original Dune books

I do believe a new series of reprint editions for the original books are being planned. Or that they'll be included in new omnibus editions...

Oh i have them all buried in my "to read" pile. For every book that i read, i add 2 more to that stack

Heh. For me, it's usually for every two or three books I'm reading at the time, I'll tend to add about ten or twelve more to my stacks with new purchases.

I'm the kind of bibliophile who walks into a book-store convinced that I'll just browse the shelves while on my lunch break, and then exits the store with multiple purchases that end up stacked on my desktop at work.

The tricky part is deciding what to read next when looking upon our "to read" stack. Usually i will read a few nice fat fantasy books then a few smaller hack & slash type books.
The Sage Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 03:06:14
quote:

quote:

quote:

I do believe a new series of reprint editions for the original books are being planned. Or that they'll be included in new omnibus editions...

Oh i have them all buried in my "to read" pile. For every book that i read, i add 2 more to that stack

Heh. For me, it's usually for every two or three books I'm reading at the time, I'll tend to add about ten or twelve more to my stacks with new purchases.

I'm the kind of bibliophile who walks into a book-store convinced that I'll just browse the shelves while on my lunch break, and then exits the store with multiple purchases that end up stacked on my desktop at work.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 03:00:04
quote:

quote:

The Sage Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 01:23:37
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Flint's fate in the Dragonlance Chronicles (Spring Dawning) made me tear up when I first read it..at like 13?
Flint's death was certainly one of the most uncomfortable scenes in fantasy fiction. And the fact that it wasn't completely unexpected either, just adds to the depth of tragedy surrounding his fate. That we, as the readers, are shown the increasingly difficult problems Flint faced as his heart slowly began to weaken, is something I'll never be able to easily dismiss. It's a very moving set of scenes for a novel.
The Sage Posted - 01 Nov 2011 : 01:20:14
quote:

Mandarb Carai an Caldazar Posted - 31 Oct 2011 : 17:53:29
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mandarb Carai an Caldazar

I can agree with many sentiments in this thread. Zaknafein was probably the first but definetly not the last. The Bruenor/Pwent relationship is definetly up there as well for me. Outside of the realms I would say the first time Duncan Idahoe dies was fairly emotional for me. The scene where Leto 2 reflects on the future that the golden path will take humanity down and his understanding of the sacrifices that will be made.

However, the majority of moments worthy of a few tears come from Steven Erikson's books in the Malazan universe. By all the gods that man knows how to write! In no particular order and with little detail to avoid spoilers: Whiskeyjack V. Kallor, Anomander V. Dassem, Tavore Paran in general, The Crippled God(not the whole book!), The Snake, Saren Pedac and Trull Sengar, Hedge, Mallet, Fiddler and so on and so on. Some of those characters have moments, some are sad in general. Like I said, I kept the details to a minimum to avoid spoilers and...to avoid typing everything out hehehe. Anyone who's read all of Erikson's books will know what specific scenes I'm refering too and anyone who hasn't I highly recomend the series!

The first 2 and the last 2 books in the Dune saga are by far my favourite. I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with the other books in the saga or the other Dune books Brian Herbert has written but those four definetly stand out for me in terms of scope, emotional impact, and philosophical soul-searching + discovery.
Seravin Posted - 31 Oct 2011 : 17:10:53
Flint's fate in the Dragonlance Chronicles (Spring Dawning) made me tear up when I first read it..at like 13? What a great trilogy, along with the Lost Chornicles and Legends. (Don't care for much else in DL tho!)
Artemas Entreri Posted - 31 Oct 2011 : 13:10:09
quote:
Originally posted by Seabus Mythforger

quote:

quote:

I've never cried over a fantasy novel per-se, but the most emotional I've gotten over an ending to a story would be the end of Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy. SPOILER: the last scene of the battle at Black Barrows where Elene (pregnant with Kylar's son) sacrifices herself so that Khali can be destroyed and then creates all the red flowers so that Kylar will always remember what she did for the good of all.

Excellent series, i still need to read the Black Prism

i want to pick it up myself. did you ever read the novella Perfect Shadow about Durzo becoming a wet-boy and making Mama K the Shinga? rather short but pretty good otherwise.

Nope never read it, mainly because the whole E-book release only thing sort of pisses me off. However, i am about 1/3 of the way through the Black Prism and loving it so far. I thought it was going to be very lame after reading the first few chapters, but the story really picked up and Weeks presents an interesting way of using magic through the colors. I imagine it would make an excellent movie because everything is SOOOO visual when you read it.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 31 Oct 2011 : 13:03:36
quote:
Originally posted by Mandarb Carai an Caldazar

I can agree with many sentiments in this thread. Zaknafein was probably the first but definetly not the last. The Bruenor/Pwent relationship is definetly up there as well for me. Outside of the realms I would say the first time Duncan Idahoe dies was fairly emotional for me. The scene where Leto 2 reflects on the future that the golden path will take humanity down and his understanding of the sacrifices that will be made.

However, the majority of moments worthy of a few tears come from Steven Erikson's books in the Malazan universe. By all the gods that man knows how to write! In no particular order and with little detail to avoid spoilers: Whiskeyjack V. Kallor, Anomander V. Dassem, Tavore Paran in general, The Crippled God(not the whole book!), The Snake, Saren Pedac and Trull Sengar, Hedge, Mallet, Fiddler and so on and so on. Some of those characters have moments, some are sad in general. Like I said, I kept the details to a minimum to avoid spoilers and...to avoid typing everything out hehehe. Anyone who's read all of Erikson's books will know what specific scenes I'm refering too and anyone who hasn't I highly recomend the series!

Mandarb Carai an Caldazar Posted - 31 Oct 2011 : 04:11:45

Dennis Posted - 31 Oct 2011 : 02:10:31

Remi's sacrifice in A Blight of Mages by Karen Miller moved me. [I would have done the same for my sister.] It was not only the promise to their mother that made him do it, but more than anything else, his love for Barl.
Nilus Reynard Posted - 31 Oct 2011 : 01:47:49
The only book that actually pulled a tear from me is The Legend of Huma. I knew from the beginning that it wasn't going to end well for Huma Dragonbane, but after all he went through not to be able to celebrate what he had gained & accomplished was just sad.

The only Realms related death that really upset me was the death of Moander. He was throughly evil & insane, but he never pretended to be otherwise. If you were ever looking for a deity that you could truly call 100% evil it was Moander, a nemesis of that caliber doesn't deserve to be taken out of play in such a short amount of time.
Seabus Mythforger Posted - 24 Sep 2011 : 18:01:53
quote:

quote:

I've never cried over a fantasy novel per-se, but the most emotional I've gotten over an ending to a story would be the end of Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy. SPOILER: the last scene of the battle at Black Barrows where Elene (pregnant with Kylar's son) sacrifices herself so that Khali can be destroyed and then creates all the red flowers so that Kylar will always remember what she did for the good of all.

i want to pick it up myself. did you ever read the novella Perfect Shadow about Durzo becoming a wet-boy and making Mama K the Shinga? rather short but pretty good otherwise.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Sep 2011 : 14:11:45
quote:

Seabus Mythforger Posted - 24 Sep 2011 : 06:30:56
Dennis Posted - 23 Sep 2011 : 13:10:40

The death of Akkarin in The High Lord by Trudi Canavan. In the middle of the novel, the author provided hints to such tragedy...But when it finally happened, I almost wished I didn't like him at all. It was really sad.
Hawkins Posted - 21 Sep 2011 : 16:12:57
The first fantasy novel that made me cry was the High King (Book V of the Chronicles of Prydain), by Lloyd Alexander. Spoiler:I was ten, and a character that I did not like from the third book was reintroduced as as character that had done some growing up and had matured into a character that I now liked. Then he died while being heroic and it was just too much for me. When I re-read those novels again as an adult, I still got misty at that part.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 21 Sep 2011 : 14:09:27
Wishsong of Shannara--SPOILER: When Allanon and Garet Jax are killed by a Jachyra in two different battles.
Dennis Posted - 21 Sep 2011 : 12:55:56

I nearly cried when Phyrea didn't die in Lies of Light. But for an entirely different reason.
Lady Shadowflame Posted - 11 Sep 2011 : 19:42:04
The first that made me cry was a Tamora Pierce book. The last of Daine's series - when Rikash dies, and Daine just screams his name in disbelief and grief.
We'd seen him get humanised, as it were, and be sort of sympathetic in his own way - and I rather liked some of his snarkiness.

And then when Daine realises only then that he was her friend, only after he gives his life fighting a horrible creature... yeah.
Dennis Posted - 11 Sep 2011 : 15:23:59
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Nakor's death in Wrath of a Mad God by Raymond E. Feist stung, too. I kinda expected he'd live forever. And it felt different, a bit strange, reading the succeeding novels without the usual funny, witty comments by Nakor, and without seeing his mysterious bag that had an endless supply of oranges.

I also felt sad seeing Erik do the ultimate sacrifice... More because it's a painful but honest reminder of the limit of one's mortality.

Nakor's death did sting, but for me, so did Jimmy's. He was my favorite character from all of the books.

Aye. And Gamina's, too. If I remember it right, it was in Rage of a Demon King.

And oh! Jimmy being your favorite is no surprise. You like all mischievous [though sometimes noble] characters.

I wasn't really that affected by Caleb's and Miranda's deaths. But seeing the effects of such loss to Pug, I did feel sad for him. I wonder if he could still bear the pain if he also loses Magnus.
Dennis Posted - 11 Sep 2011 : 15:07:50
quote:

Let's try to remember SPOILERS, eh?

[I'll note that I've still to read Wrath of a Mad God.]

Everything that's been said so far by yours truly and our fellow scribes are spoilers. So I edited the title to include *spoilers.* Besides, death scenes are always a spoiler.
The Sage Posted - 11 Sep 2011 : 15:05:42
Let's try to remember SPOILERS, eh?

[I'll note that I've still to read Wrath of a Mad God.]
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Sep 2011 : 15:01:49
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Nakor's death in Wrath of a Mad God by Raymond E. Feist stung, too. I kinda expected he'd live forever. And it felt different, a bit strange, reading the succeeding novels without the usual funny, witty comments by Nakor, and without seeing his mysterious bag that had an endless supply of oranges.

I also felt sad seeing Erik do the ultimate sacrifice... More because it's a painful but honest reminder of the limit of one's mortality.

Nakor's death did sting, but for me, so did Jimmy's. He was my favorite character from all of the books.

It was also sad in Prince of the Blood when Kulgan made a comment and then paused out of habit for Father Tully to respond, then he remembered Tully was dead.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000