Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your main hand?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sill Alias Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 08:11:57
Was interested since in PC games you has no such choice. In which hand you prefer to wield the weapon? What is your choice for PC affinity?
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Aug 2010 : 02:06:04
I'm right-handed, so my characters are all either right-handed or ambidextrous. I mainly liked ambidexterity for the in-game benefits. I'm no min-maxer, but I'm also not one to pass up a nifty advantage, if I can take it.
Laerrigan Posted - 08 Aug 2010 : 01:47:19
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I met this swordsman who was looking for the six-fingered man...

I had to say "other." I know right-handedness is most common in real life, and most of the characters I've created have been righties largely for that reason, though I didn't really think about it. A couple have been lefties because it simply seemed to suit them for some unknown reason. I'm a righty, myself, but my main and most-developed PC is ambidextrous with lefty preference. Somehow it fits how his unusual mind works. I do wonder, though, after all of four fencing lessons many years ago, if I'd do better at some things lefthanded than right. I only learned to write with my right hand in the first place for practical reasons, because my schoolteacher said to try both and I realized my right hand didn't smudge the pencil marks as it dragged across the page....
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Aug 2010 : 02:21:41
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I am technically right-handed, but while working I use both with nearly equal proficiency. That means I hold a paintbrush, hammer, etc.. in whichever hand it is more convenient to be working with. However, when the project doesn't force the issue, I tend to fall back on my right, and I only write with my right.

My PCs have been right, left, and ambidextrous probably an even number of times - I never really bothered to keep track, but I don't automatically favor one over another while making a PC/NPC (unless there is a plot device it requires, or something in the characters past).

I toyed with the idea of making a sorcerer with six fingers, just to give him the 'other-worldliness' associated with Sorcerers. I might still do that, if I ever get a chance to run in someone else's campaign. I'll let the GM decide what to do with it, if anything.

I met this swordsman who was looking for the six-fingered man...
Markustay Posted - 06 Aug 2010 : 22:08:18
I am technically right-handed, but while working I use both with nearly equal proficiency. That means I hold a paintbrush, hammer, etc.. in whichever hand it is more convenient to be working with. However, when the project doesn't force the issue, I tend to fall back on my right, and I only write with my right.

My PCs have been right, left, and ambidextrous probably an even number of times - I never really bothered to keep track, but I don't automatically favor one over another while making a PC/NPC (unless there is a plot device it requires, or something in the characters past).

I toyed with the idea of making a sorcerer with six fingers, just to give him the 'other-worldliness' associated with Sorcerers. I might still do that, if I ever get a chance to run in someone else's campaign. I'll let the GM decide what to do with it, if anything.
woodwwad Posted - 04 Aug 2010 : 22:10:29
I've done all 3, it depends on the pc. You should vary simple things like this up. I'm right handed but I think playing a left-handed character is interesting, different.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 04 Aug 2010 : 16:05:21
Right.
Halidan Posted - 01 Aug 2010 : 03:00:45
While I'm right handed, I also have played the French horn on and off since 5th grade. Because the keys of the French Horn are played with the fingers of the left hand, I actually have more hand/figure dexterity in my left hand than my right. I guess training tops natural inclination.
Varl Posted - 31 Jul 2010 : 05:11:46
I'm righthanded, but try for ambidexterity for my characters every time. We have a fun system we created a long time ago at character creation for determining your character's handedness:

Roll two dice simultaneously. A d6 and a d12.
If the d12 is higher than the d6, you're right handed.
If the d6 is higher than the d12, you're left handed.
If they're equal, you're ambidextrous.

Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Jul 2010 : 22:40:31
I like my characters to be able to use either hand...

I did have a character that had a lame leg though...it was a true challenge, but very fun, to play him because he couldn't run away from a fight. I had to think of ingenious ways of getting away, like using Feather Tokens to create trees in hallways to keep large monsters from getting to me too quickly, or even an Instant Fortress right in the middle of a hall to not only block our escape but to crush some enemies as well. Then there is the time I was forced to wrestle a lich...
Wenin Posted - 27 Jul 2010 : 22:20:36
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Ambidextrous. To an extent it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm on a keyboard, I'm left-handed, if I'm writing I'm right-handed, I eat left-handed, and so on.

A musical keyboard I'm thinking?
froglegg Posted - 27 Jul 2010 : 18:01:24
I am left handed. Since the right side of the brain controls the left side, that means we are the only ones in our right minds.

John
Icelander Posted - 27 Jul 2010 : 17:25:38
Personally, I'm right-handed.

Characters have been right- or left-handed or even ambidextrous. In general, for trained warriors, I try to have them be capable of using the off-hand as a back-up or to surprise a foe. Just like a serious football player will practice shots and passes with both feet, a serious warrior must be prepared to use either hand.
Alisttair Posted - 27 Jul 2010 : 17:17:45
Right!
Kiaransalyn Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 21:49:36
Ambidextrous. To an extent it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm on a keyboard, I'm left-handed, if I'm writing I'm right-handed, I eat left-handed, and so on.
Bakra Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 19:52:43
In the beginning only my thieves were ambidextrous; eventually, this became a main trait for my rangers too. All other characters I played were right handed.
Dracons Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 19:02:18
quote:
Originally posted by Balduran Lavidah

Ambidextre. Je ne le suis pas spécialement (bien que je m'y force parfois d'utiliser mon bras gauche), mais j'ai une préférence pour l'équilibre du mouvement du corps. J'aime bien avoir un personnage capable de se servir de ses mains.

Ambidextrous. I am not him especially (although I may sometimes be forced to use my left arm), but I have a priority for the equilibrium of the movement of the body. I definitely love having a figure able to use both hands.

(I helped corrected it for you. English is very difficult and annoying. While your second sentence is correct, it may have been better to state that "I prioritize balance, or fast movement"
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 17:30:28
Usually right handed. But have played ambi-dextrous and left-handed players as well.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 17:05:54
I am left-handed, but many (though not all) of my pc's are ambidexterous. Thoes that are not, are left-handed, too. I think it makes a character more interesting to use a different hand than most people- you know right away that there is something special about them, since it is relatively uncommon.
Balduran Lavidah Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 16:26:40
Ambidextre. Je ne le suis pas spécialement (bien que je m'y force parfois d'utiliser mon bras gauche), mais j'ai une préférence pour l'équilibre du mouvement du corps. J'aime bien avoir un personnage capable de se servir de ses mains.

Ambidextrous. I am not him especially (although I m 'y sometimes force my left arm to use), but i have a priority for the equilibrium of the movement of the body. I love definitely have a figure able of using the hands.
GRYPHON Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 14:42:51
Ambidextrous...
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 13:27:43
I'm left handed, and all of my characters are, except for one.
Kajehase Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 11:56:33
Right handed, but ambidextrous when it comes to footwork (very useful when you're playing football, even if the opposing player knpws you, he can't be sure which foot you'll use to move/shoot the ball).
Tyranthraxus Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 11:49:25
I am right handed, and so are most of my characters.
Sill Alias Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 09:40:02
I would gladly choose left hand. It can confuse suddenly when you use right then switch and beat up the man with left.
Dracons Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 08:38:52
I'm left handed. I like to see my character be left handed on top of that.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000