Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels featuring deities

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Silvannos Posted - 12 Jun 2010 : 05:36:49
I am currently reading the Avatar series and I like having gods as main characters. I was just wondering if there are any other books/series that have gods in prominent roles?

Thanks!
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 16 Jun 2010 : 03:43:28
I am a *talented* actor, but no matter how hard I try, I can't fake blue hair. Few can, in fact.

And enough of this thread-stealing! Back on topic!

Cheers
skychrome Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 19:22:10
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I wonder if I can schedule a professional dye-job before GenCon . . .

...uh...Erik that makes me wonder if you already solved the other two variables....

Remember? 17 years, girl...
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 18:38:51
The problem I often have with benevolent gods turning up onstage is that it can be difficult to come up with a logical reason why they don't just solve the story problem for the mortal hero. I mean, why should Leif Gunnarsen have to risk his vulnerable human ass slaying the dragon when Thor can swat it like a fly? Questions like that bug me, so I tend to avoid writing that situation.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 16:00:04
I wonder if I can schedule a professional dye-job before GenCon . . .

As for novels featuring deities, I certainly enjoyed the deities in the Avatar series--very much like the ancient greek deities in their human-like flaws coupled with divine hubris. Generally speaking, I don't think FR (or any fantasy for that matter) needs/benefits a lot from the actual intervention of divine beings, but occasionally they're quite effective.

Cheers
The Red Walker Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 14:29:59
quote:

I don't know, I write all of my novels as one or another of my characters--sometimes changing multiple times in a chapter as the perspective warrants. And even so, no one accuses me of being a cute blue-haired 17 year old girl.

Seriously, though, some myths are deeply entrenched, such as Ed = El. I like to think it just means that Ed is much beloved.

Cheers

Well I can safely vouch that you are not blue haired....or weren't when I met you
The Sage Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 04:22:12
quote:

I don't know, I write all of my novels as one or another of my characters--sometimes changing multiple times in a chapter as the perspective warrants. And even so, no one accuses me of being a cute blue-haired 17 year old girl.
It's a mindset I tend to, partially, share. When I'm writing fiction, it normally depends on what I want to accomplish with my work. Sometimes, it's simply easier to project myself through my characters because it helps me to visualise the world around me as this or that character [like, for example, my work on Zhoth'ilam] -- and it provides a worthwhile POV in terms of experiences. Other times, however, a certain point of detachment is necessary because I like to present a "as-close-to-objective" POV as I can. Though, I suspect, even that will be tainted by personal bias at some point.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 03:39:30

Seriously, though, some myths are deeply entrenched, such as Ed = El. I like to think it just means that Ed is much beloved.

Cheers
Dennis Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 01:51:28

In Crown of Fire, the Afterword was clearly printed with the modifier "Ed's (Elminster's)"... One can't help but wonder...Anyway, Sage, THO, I have no plan of making a huge issue for something so trivial (at least for me, who also writes stories locally), so I rest my case.
The Sage Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 01:28:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
dennis, re. this:
"When Ed writes about himself --- oops, I mean about Elminster --- Mystra almost always makes an appearance."
Stop it. This is a lie that has been refuted time and time again, and it's less than polite to snidely repeat it with the "oops" attached.
Elminster is NOT Ed, nor is he Ed's alter ego, Bobby Sue, or anything of the sort. TSR asked Ed to act the part of Elminster at some GenCons, years ago, and he happily did so - - but those who try to equate Ed with Elminster should remember that Ed created ALL of the major characters of the Realms not in novels, and Ed created Elminster when he was six years old, and did NOT (I'm told by reliable witnesses ) have a beard.
Ed writes Elminster novels because he's asked to (or not write Realms novels at all), not because he prefers to.
Sigh. Enough with this canard, already!
love,
THO

Exactly. I'm kinda tired of hearing the same, myself. I can't understand why this type of misconception is still being so strongly perpetuated... even after I've spent time over the last five years, scattering Ed's correct reply on the assumption to numerous forums and threads across the web. Surely, by now, it would've caught on enough for others to start sharing the information when this particular nonsense comes up.
Dennis Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 01:25:50

Okay, no prob THO.
The Hooded One Posted - 15 Jun 2010 : 00:51:18
Hi again, all.
dennis, re. this:
"When Ed writes about himself --- oops, I mean about Elminster --- Mystra almost always makes an appearance."
Stop it. This is a lie that has been refuted time and time again, and it's less than polite to snidely repeat it with the "oops" attached.
Elminster is NOT Ed, nor is he Ed's alter ego, Bobby Sue, or anything of the sort. TSR asked Ed to act the part of Elminster at some GenCons, years ago, and he happily did so - - but those who try to equate Ed with Elminster should remember that Ed created ALL of the major characters of the Realms not in novels, and Ed created Elminster when he was six years old, and did NOT (I'm told by reliable witnesses ) have a beard.
Ed writes Elminster novels because he's asked to (or not write Realms novels at all), not because he prefers to.
Sigh. Enough with this canard, already!
love,
THO
The Red Walker Posted - 14 Jun 2010 : 21:41:38
quote:
Originally posted by Silvannos

I had already planned to read the entire Erevis Cale series (from Sembia 1 and 2 to Twilight War) so that's probably still what I am going to read next. As for after that, I will have to see... I will maybe look into the Finder's Stone trilogy since it looks interesting.

Mask "appears" in various ways in some of the Erevis Cale books.
Dennis Posted - 14 Jun 2010 : 07:00:59

The Twilight War is great
Silvannos Posted - 14 Jun 2010 : 06:51:15
I had already planned to read the entire Erevis Cale series (from Sembia 1 and 2 to Twilight War) so that's probably still what I am going to read next. As for after that, I will have to see... I will maybe look into the Finder's Stone trilogy since it looks interesting.
Dennis Posted - 14 Jun 2010 : 06:32:38

You're very much welcome, Silvannos. So have you decided what to read next?
Silvannos Posted - 14 Jun 2010 : 06:22:38
Thanks a lot for the suggestions :)
Dennis Posted - 14 Jun 2010 : 05:44:45

When Ed writes about himself --- oops, I mean about Elminster --- Mystra almost always makes an appearance.

Kilvan Posted - 14 Jun 2010 : 00:53:16
Mystra also makes an appearance here and there in Ed's novels. Mention to 'Elminster in Hell' where Mystra demonstrate what the Goddess of magic can do when she's pissed (don't kidnap her favorite chosen, that's unhealthy)
Dennis Posted - 13 Jun 2010 : 23:11:48

The god Bane assumed a near-starring role in "Pools of Darkness." He was the reason the featured city in that book plunged into chaos. I honestly didn't like that book, primarily because of the authors' writing style (which, sorry to say, lacks sophistication). But since you're looking for books having gods in the center stage, well you can give it a try.

Also, Bane appeared (albeit like a guest, a helpful one, at least to the antagonist in the series) in Byers' "Undead," book 2 of the Haunted Lands Trilogy.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jun 2010 : 14:32:02
In the Finder's Stone trilogy, we see someone ascend to godhood. In the Lost Gods trilogy, we see that same deity and meet some others.
Dennis Posted - 13 Jun 2010 : 09:49:24
Azuth also made an astonishing appearance in "The Temptation of Elminster" by E.G. He was the one who tested El's loyalty (and love?) to his goddess.
Dennis Posted - 13 Jun 2010 : 09:41:43
Some not-so-famous gods also appear in "The Simbul's Gift" by Lynn Abbey, like Zandilar, Simbul (where Alassra's title was derived from), Relkath, whom Alassra personally fought. But unlike the gods in Avatar series, their appearances were rather brief.
Kilvan Posted - 12 Jun 2010 : 13:51:48
It depends, does having the main implies that the god must be physically active? If not, then I guess you could say that the War of the Spider Queen stars Lolth, and everything in those novels happens because of her. You will see brief apparitions of a few of the drow deities, two of them in a deadly duel.

Then you get to see glimpse of gods in the Erevis Cale trilogy and the twilight war, but again, the main characters are not really the gods themselves but their champions/chosen.

It's all that comes to mind, I admit that the gods never played a larger role in a novel than in the Avatar serie. That's the most god-clashing action you're gonna get.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000