Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 wizards.com

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
swifty Posted - 18 Mar 2009 : 23:15:19
not trying to stare up trouble but before i decided to join candlekeep i looked at wizards first but its such a bitchy aggressive forum on there.im amazed the moderators let them get away with half the stuff.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 14 Apr 2009 : 00:48:39
quote:
Originally posted by SeeDiGi

There should be administrators who are pro-and-anti so the moderators don't become biased.
I think that's a big mistake. If nothing else, Wizards should have Mods/Admin staff who are edition-neutral -- much like Candlekeep.

I've my own thoughts on 4e, but I don't allow them to influence my moderator conduct. I take each discussion in turn, and make judgements based on the actual posts being made, rather than falling back on my own internal opinions on 4e.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 13 Apr 2009 : 23:55:06
Actually, they've shut down an equal number of pro-4E threads. The only times they shut them down are when people are not being polite or following the rules. As far as I can tell, they have not been biased to either side.
SeeDiGi Posted - 13 Apr 2009 : 23:08:29
I see the administrators have a pattern of shutting down any anti-4e thread more than those pro-4e threads. There should be administrators who are pro-and-anti so the moderators don't become biased. Who shuts things down if not the visible people? That part I don't understand. The whole hierarchy I don't understand. People who claim to be in charge apparently aren't I am told.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 11 Apr 2009 : 21:10:53
quote:
Originally posted by SeeDiGi

I didn't mean anything by it. Im steamed that my topic got locked (not anymore though). Its like if you say anything against it, people jump all over you and then the administrators lock away your discussions.

I second everything previously said by the others, and in addition to that, if a thread gets locked (either here or on WotC), the topic starter shouldn't take it personally. It usually just means the thread get out of hand (went off-topic, turned into a flamewar) for some reason. It isn't usually any one person's fault.
SeeDiGi Posted - 11 Apr 2009 : 04:10:40
I didn't mean anything by it. Im steamed that my topic got locked (not anymore though). Its like if you say anything against it, people jump all over you and then the administrators lock away your discussions.
Brimstone Posted - 10 Apr 2009 : 14:14:10
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Reign it back just a tad SeeDiGi. First off, LK isn't a full on moderator at Wizards. He can't lock, move or edit threads, merely make recommendations to the moderators on possible problem threads. Second, if it's the thread I'm thinking it is, it was beginning to devolve into another flame war and needed to be locked since all that went on before. Third, LK's a fellow scribe here (although he hasn't posted much recently). He's a decent guy and bad-mouthing him (or other scribes) will get you nowhere fast.

Lastly, this board is edition-free. We have some discussions here regarding 4th Edition and previous editions and their merits and flaws. Some of us like 4th Edition, some of us like the previous editions, some don't even play the game. The main goal about these forums is about the Lore of the Realms. We'll gladly answer any questions about lore and try to answer rules questions, but this is not the 'anti-4E' league.

That being said, welcome to the `Keep. Pull up a chair, peruse a scroll and have fun!

Well said Ashe, well said.

BRIMSTONE
The Sage Posted - 10 Apr 2009 : 06:41:16
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Third, LK's a fellow scribe here (although he hasn't posted much recently). He's a decent guy and bad-mouthing him (or other scribes) will get you nowhere fast.
Indeed.

We here at Candlekeep do not, I repeat do not, condone this type of attitude. Dagnirion/Lord Karsus is a respected scribe in these halls, and a worthwhile participate on the WotC forums.

I'm sure he had every logical reason to be concerned over the progress of that particular thread. [Which, I'll add, I did have a chance to glance over recently. And my thoughts on it would very much mirror Ashe's own on the subject]
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 10 Apr 2009 : 05:05:00
Reign it back just a tad SeeDiGi. First off, LK isn't a full on moderator at Wizards. He can't lock, move or edit threads, merely make recommendations to the moderators on possible problem threads. Second, if it's the thread I'm thinking it is, it was beginning to devolve into another flame war and needed to be locked since all that went on before. Third, LK's a fellow scribe here (although he hasn't posted much recently). He's a decent guy and bad-mouthing him (or other scribes) will get you nowhere fast.

Lastly, this board is edition-free. We have some discussions here regarding 4th Edition and previous editions and their merits and flaws. Some of us like 4th Edition, some of us like the previous editions, some don't even play the game. The main goal about these forums is about the Lore of the Realms. We'll gladly answer any questions about lore and try to answer rules questions, but this is not the 'anti-4E' league.

That being said, welcome to the `Keep. Pull up a chair, peruse a scroll and have fun!
SeeDiGi Posted - 10 Apr 2009 : 04:55:50
The Wizards website stinks. I made a topic about how I don't like how the 4e designers messed up the Forgotten Realms and the moderator Lordkrasus locked it like the next day before I could even respond to some of the posts in my own topic. Its so messed up. But luckily I found this website so I don't have to worry about biased people like that here.
Calmar Posted - 10 Apr 2009 : 00:16:04
Until the day they officially anounced 4th Edition and switched the site layout to confusing, I used to check out the D&D homepage and the forums pretty much every day. The announcement that I would have to pay for the forums and access to the website literally expelled me instantly (Buying their books is my way of making deals with a gaming company - if I wanted to spend my money for access to a website there would be hotter alternatives in the internet... ).

Since the forums were most often quite chaotic I didn't post much there. But I sure liked the many useful articles on the D&D homepage. I saved many of them on my computer, but I'm glad the didn't delete all the good 3rd edition stuff, yet.
BlackAce Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 09:45:20
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir
I don't get it. What was wrong with asking about a novel on the Wizards boards?

As Nerfed said, they basically banned all discussions of novels. I seem to recall that the official reason (and I could be mistaken; it's been a while) is that some authors were tired of getting hammered about their novels. So *all* novel discussion was banned.

The "official" reason was and I quote;[Wiz_O BigSis at the time...]

"The novels department no longer wanted to contribute to the running costs of the Novel Fora."

It was so transparent an excuse, coming on the back of yet another Drizzt bashing thread, where IIRC, Elaine Cunningham waded in after somebody stared cracking jokes along the lines of "Kitty-Cheese", that I signed out of my Wizards.com account and have never signed back into it since.

I don't believe I've even browsed the fora over there for two or three years and I can honestly say I haven't regretted it once.

Kyrene Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 09:06:08
The only use I find for the wizards.com forums is when it comes up in the occasional Google search. In my experience, most fan fora are better policed, behaved and more useful than the ones by the companies the fans are fans of in the first place. Two examples being Wizards of the Coast and Blizzard, but there are more.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 07:17:17
Can we please get back to the original topic?
Icelander Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 03:00:15
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Next thing you'll tell me is history didn't begin the moment Christopher Columbus discovered America!

Don't believe that Mediterranean crap. America was discovered by Leif Eriksson

But he lost is again. Probably while drinking. I'm always misplacing small objects while I'm drinking.
Kajehase Posted - 09 Apr 2009 : 00:20:29
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Next thing you'll tell me is history didn't begin the moment Christopher Columbus discovered America!

Don't believe that Mediterranean crap. America was discovered by Leif Eriksson
Jimbobx Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 21:23:13
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Seriously, folks, we're delving into real-life nationality stereo-types and politics. It's subject-territory that's fraught with fantastic terrors.

Let's head back to the welcome and friendly regions of Realmslore.

apoligies sage.i havent had my medication today.

Me neither.
What was the question again?
Oh, Wizards.com. The forum was not my cup of tea but the articles were often useful.
swifty Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 18:15:19
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Seriously, folks, we're delving into real-life nationality stereo-types and politics. It's subject-territory that's fraught with fantastic terrors.

apoligies sage.i havent had my medication today.
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 17:24:55
I am following the thread about WotC halts sales/downloads for PDFs since yesterday, and the forum behaves. I am not registered there and do not plan to do so, since I do not want part of *such* a community, so cannot comment on posting, but reading is OK and works.
Markustay Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 17:21:05
Will do... but like racial stereo-types, it's always 'Okay' for the group in question to make fun of themselves.

I bash my country every single day... but I will fight to the death if a non-American does it.

I'm sure everyone everywhere is the same way... making us all the same deep down.

And since I posted last in this thread, most of the WotC problems have been 'ironed-out' apparently - I had trouble only once logging in since then - but they still seem laggier then usual (probably because of all the people who couldn't get on earlier suddenly all signing on at once).
The Sage Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 10:02:22

swifty Posted - 08 Apr 2009 : 09:50:55
ive met some great american people.and then ive met some who thought bush was good honest man.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 20:12:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn
I never said it was. Poor language use, etc were additional reasons for not visiting.

Fair enough--that wasn't clear to me from your post. After all, it certainly is possible to think a group of people to be "warm and wonderful" and also not too well-educated.

But, it's all cleared up. I agree with Sage that it's best to move on from the subject.
Markustay Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 19:45:31
There's a world beyond the United States?

I'll believe in Faerūn, but now you've just gone too far!

< @Kiaransalyn - THAT attitude, right? >

Edit: And just to stear this back somewhat - their site has been 'wonky' for the past two days. Not sure if they are doing updates, or just having problems.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 18:21:57
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Coca-Colonialism?

The English equivalent would be jingoism, which described early 20th century Britain, whereby all the British upper classes (and by extension Britain) did was marvellous and all that Johnny Foreigner did was either amusing or calculatedly evil. It's why everyone of a certain age marched off to die in a flea-infested uniform in a large ditch in France or Belgium.

As I said the attitude I encountered on the Wizards boards was that if it happened in the States it was noteworthy and if it happened outside it wasn't important. The outsiders weren't welcomed.

As I said earlier, that may well have been because of the time-zones, People Stateside are logging on as people in Europe are logging off. So the conversation is either beginning or ending and the herd has moved on.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've found that just about anywhere where the public can say their piece on the internet, bad spelling and poor language use is going to exist. It's not specifically "American."

I never said it was. Poor language use, etc were additional reasons for not visiting.

As I said earlier, the Americans I know are wonderful and those I've met in San Francisco, Anchorage, Boston, Minneapolis, Nashville and other cities have been good people too. But a group of people naturally form sub-groups and these sub-groups can be exclusive.

I found the same thing when I worked in The Netherlands. At lunch-time the Dutch sat together, the Germans sat together and since I was the only English person I sat on my own. That was just how things were there and were on the Wizards forums. If there is common ground, people begin to form a group about it. If that common ground is a culture then that is most likely to attract people who belong to that culture.

Threads often go off-topic or posters bring in additional information to support an argument. If that additional information requires that one be from a specific culture then it narrows the number of participants.

That's what I mean when I said "it's very American, which can be off-putting at times (mostly in terms of cultural differences and time-zones)."
The Sage Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 14:48:46
Agreed.

But I feel we should move on from this particular side-topic. It's liable to cause problems later.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 14:03:06
Coca-Colonialism?

I've found that just about anywhere where the public can say their piece on the internet, bad spelling and poor language use is going to exist. It's not specifically "American."
Kiaransalyn Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 12:53:24
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Well, I'm very American... and whilst I can't do much about the time-zones, I DO make every effort to not be off-putting

I'm married to an American, so I know that they're a wonderful, warm-hearted people.

However, and unfortunately there's a sort of dumbed-down Coca Colonialism attitude on the Wizards forums, which I found off-putting. As I said, it's been years since I visited and it may very well have changed, but my life is too short to be confronting my eyes with bad English, abysmal spelling, 'yo dude' and 'wassup'. I don't watch television for the same reasons.

If I want good American culture, I'll read Lovecraft, Hemingway and Mark Twain. And just to be balanced, for good English culture I'll read Dickens, Tolkien and Graves. There's a wonderful album title by Blur which sums it all up very well: 'Modern Life is Rubbish.'

I'm not a fully paid up member of the church of Consumerism, which is why I like visiting these boards. The majority of posters here read, ask and answer interesting questions.
Knight of the Gate Posted - 07 Apr 2009 : 05:28:56
It's been years since I visited the WotC forums. There are way too many threads, a lot of immature posters and it's very American, which can be off-putting at times (mostly in terms of cultural differences and time-zones).
[/quote]

Well, I'm very American... and whilst I can't do much about the time-zones, I DO make every effort to not be off-putting
Kiaransalyn Posted - 06 Apr 2009 : 17:54:26
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

not trying to stare up trouble but before i decided to join candlekeep i looked at wizards first but its such a bitchy aggressive forum on there.im amazed the moderators let them get away with half the stuff.

It's been years since I visited the WotC forums. There are way too many threads, a lot of immature posters and it's very American, which can be off-putting at times (mostly in terms of cultural differences and time-zones).
Markustay Posted - 06 Apr 2009 : 16:30:06
Would it be wrong of me to find that funny?

A bunch of hacks get hacked?

I usually get VERY mad when internet thugs vandalize a site, but I find it very hard to care when bad things happen to WotC.

Edit: Anyhow, it seems to be up now.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000