Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you were to invent a deity for the realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrHedgehog Posted - 09 Jan 2009 : 03:33:57
In any time period. Who would they be? Their portfolio and nature? Give a description!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Quale Posted - 28 Oct 2010 : 18:04:30
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Anyone have a link to it? I'd love to take a gander. Or just point me where to look.

http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Religion

a lot of Paizo's gods are compatible, I merged most of the main ones with the FR or homebrew gods, it's the big articles from the Pathfinder APs that makes them worthy
Markustay Posted - 28 Oct 2010 : 00:50:24
I was unaware that Paizo was allowing fan-usage of their properties - thanks for the heads-up.
The Sage Posted - 28 Oct 2010 : 00:39:42
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I bought the Gazeteer, which unfortunately didn't contain the information on the cosmology I was looking for. I would assume that would be in the campaign guide, which I do not own, or perhaps in Paizo's planer guide (not even sure what they call their version of MotP).

The information is not available for free, AFAIK (unlike WotC info, which is plastered across a dozen WIKI's and hundreds of fan-sites). The one down-side to being a fan of Pathfinder is that Paizo is the ONLY source for lore.

Alystra can try searching Wiki links though. As I recall, some dedicated fans have started producing pages for the various Golarion deities.
Markustay Posted - 27 Oct 2010 : 20:39:22
I bought the Gazeteer, which unfortunately didn't contain the information on the cosmology I was looking for. I would assume that would be in the campaign guide, which I do not own, or perhaps in Paizo's planer guide (not even sure what they call their version of MotP).

The information is not available for free, AFAIK (unlike WotC info, which is plastered across a dozen WIKI's and hundreds of fan-sites). The one down-side to being a fan of Pathfinder is that Paizo is the ONLY source for lore.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 27 Oct 2010 : 17:08:16
Anyone have a link to it? I'd love to take a gander. Or just point me where to look.
Markustay Posted - 27 Oct 2010 : 15:53:49
I really like Golarion's pantheon - I may use it somewhere. Another thread lead me to look at the Gazeteer once again and I forgot just how cool that pantheon was (I really love their symbols).
The Sage Posted - 27 Oct 2010 : 05:38:24
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

PATHFINDER's Torag has some interesting elements. And like Zireael, I've been thinking about incorporating some of those elements into my Realms. But not as a creator-deity aspect. I've established my own ideas for a creator deity [since I don't use Ao].

Edit:- Whoops! I meant Torag. 'Thas been changed.

Yeah, I stumbled on the similar names myself. But I caught myself before posting.

I do think that Cayden Cailean can easily be dropped into the Realms.

I've actually been thinking about making Cayden an unconfirmed human-derived aspect of Erevan -- since wine, revelry, and "brave deeds" often go hand-in-hand with all kinds of mischief.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Oct 2010 : 04:34:40
quote:

PATHFINDER's Torag has some interesting elements. And like Zireael, I've been thinking about incorporating some of those elements into my Realms. But not as a creator-deity aspect. I've established my own ideas for a creator deity [since I don't use Ao].

Yeah, I stumbled on the similar names myself. But I caught myself before posting.

I do think that Cayden Cailean can easily be dropped into the Realms.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 16:41:52
Oops! Typo! Thanks for catching that, Galuf! I had it right under followers, but I guess I missed that error. Then again, I was on my crap dial-up when I did that, and it can't keep up with my typing. Sometimes I have to wait for it to catch up, and then some of the letters don't appear. I hate dial-up....
Markustay Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 15:24:17
I had an entire (whimsical) Halfling Pantheon fleshed-out years ago.

Such notables as Gorgonzola, god of cheese, and Baklava, goddess of tasty deserts.

Yeah, I ran a very non-serious GH game back then. Then I found a big-boy setting.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 15:23:14
quote:

The Vinter

It's actually spelled "vintner".
The Sage Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 13:38:51

Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 11:50:30
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I would put Keptolo from GH into Realms (the drow males need to have a chance to worship someone else than a mad warrior serving Lloth and a thief fighting her :D)
And I'm wondering about putting Torog from 4e Underdark sourcebook too.

What do you think about it?

Not familiar with Torog...

I think that most of the "fill-in" deities I've read about have been pretty lame. I don't pay much attention to them, because the descriptions are generally bland, and I don't usually see a need to expand an existing pantheon with niche deities.
Zireael Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 11:33:53
I would put Keptolo from GH into Realms (the drow males need to have a chance to worship someone else than a mad warrior serving Lloth and a thief fighting her :D)
And I'm wondering about putting Torog from 4e Underdark sourcebook too.

What do you think about it?
see Posted - 26 Oct 2010 : 10:51:16
quote:
Originally posted by Arik
The Realms does indeed need a god of alcohol. Sune, Lliira, Sharess, perhaps even Silvanus might all serve this purpose but none are perfectly suited choices.

Which is why I included one back on the fourth page of this thread, in January 2009:

quote:
Vlainur
Lesser Power, CN
Portfolio: Beer, wine, spirits, drunkenness
Superior: None
Allies: Chauntea, Leira, Lliira, Sharess
Foes: None
Symbol: A mug of ale

A favorite of many inhabitants of the Realms, Vlainur is a particular patron of those who make and sell alcoholic drinks. His clergy is small, and his temples generally double as breweries, wineries, or distilleries.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 07:35:27
Here he is- my "drunken" god. He was originally a halfling deity in my homebrew pantheon, but he can easily fit into any pantheon.

Dellornis: The Vinter, The The Jolly One
CN
Portfolio: Wine, Drunkenness, Revelry, Community
Domains: Plant, Craft, Earth, Pleasure, Chaos
Followers: Vintners, Brewers, Tavern Owners, Revelers, Drunken Masters
Symbol: Bunch of grapes between two sheaves of grain.
Favored Weapon: "Cup of Plenty"- a mace

Dellornis (Dell- or- nis) Is the jolly god of wine and drink, as well as a god of merry-making and agriculture- particularly pertaining to brewing or wine-making. He is a patron of those who appreciate fine drink, and of drunkards and revelers, as well, often seeing to the safety even of those who over-indulge. He is most often seen as a jovial, red-faced male, usually in plain clothes, always carrying a large cup or mug with him that never seems to run out.

History/Relationships: His history is little known, other than a few vague legends that he taught the arts of brewing and wine-making to mortals, and that he is one of the eldest of gods. He is seldom angered, and prefers to humiliate and shame his foes rather than engage in combat. However, when his anger is roused, he can be a dangerous opponent, fueled by a drunken-appearing rage. A small number of monks revere him for his sometimes random bouts of wisdom, and for the unusual combat techniques which he supposedly teaches to some of his most devout followers.

He has few enemies, other than those who are truly evil or concerned with destruction for its own sake, though he has been known to ally with a few of the more chaotic powers. His chief allies are the deities of nature and agriculture, and he also keeps close ties to Liira and Sharess as gods of pleasure and revelry tend to gravitate to the products of his craft.

Dogma: Life is to be enjoyed to the fullest. A fine drink with good friends is a pleasure to be savored. Always be grateful for the fruits of one's labors, and never squander them or take them for granted, for life is short. Over-indulgence is frowned upon, as any pleasure taken to excess can be harmful. Always seek to give aid to those who have succumbed to the lure of drink, to bring them back to a more reasonable appreciation for the fruits of the field and vine.
Ayrik Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 04:13:33
Elves enjoy sparkling wines and girly drinks, dwarves drink properly stout brews, and humans and halflings will pretty much drink anything. Gotta be gods for that.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 03:48:20
Hmm, doesn't one of the halfling gods have a sort of fields/fertility aspect? Can't remember if it's Sheela Perryroyal, Yondalla, or her consort (can't recall his name off-hand), but one of them has a sort of vine/grape bit in their portfolio. Dwarves don't have anything like that, But Corellon might serve that purpose for elves. On second thought, he's too serious, Hanali might work better.

And on that note- I will now submit a deity from my home pantheon to fill the void.... Since someone had already asked if I would share any more of them, I'm happy to oblige in this case, especially since this one was one of the ones I thought might fit.

Have him up as soon as I hunt down his write-up!
Ayrik Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 01:01:01
quote:
althen artren:
The Realms needs a god of alcohal, a serious "3 sheets in the wind" stumbling drunk of a diety.
You bring up an interesting point.

A stumbling drunken god is represented in every classical pantheon and most (if not all) of the recorded pagan mythologies. (As is, typically, some sort of sexual goddess figure.)

Yet no god/goddess in the Faerūnian pantheon has portfolio over drinking, alcohol, wine, beer. Even though these things are prominent in the daily life of many people. Especially prominent to the vineyards and breweries who make such things, the tavern barkeeps who buy and sell them, and to the adventurers who consume it all in endlessly copious quantities.

Astonishingly, no such god exists in the pantheons of Kara-Tur, Maztica, Mulhorand, or Zakhara. No godly power over booze exists in elven, dwarven, or halfling pantheons either.

The Realms does indeed need a god of alcohol. Sune, Lliira, Sharess, perhaps even Silvanus might all serve this purpose but none are perfectly suited choices.

Perhaps this is a shared portfolio? Progressive drinking might cause one to drift from one divine influence to another?
Say, towards eloquence (Milil) and storytelling (Oghma), then towards passion and love (Sune), then violence (Tempus and Talos), loss of consciousness (Kelemvor), and finally hangovers and suffering (Ilmater).
althen artren Posted - 24 Oct 2010 : 00:22:19
The Realms needs a god of alcohal, a serious "3 sheets in the wind"
stumbling drunk of a diety.
Markustay Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 17:06:08
quote:

quote:

I just found some really amazing stuff that ties in with my concept of the music/cosmic harmony deity. Listen to these, and you'll get an idea of what I was thinking of. These are actual "sounds" from planets, etc., and goes to show that the Multiverse does, in fact, create its own music!! Enjoy!! (And I hope this does not violate any rules for links on CK...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fqE01YYWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AVHXMLDvWA&feature=related (This one is mildly disturbing, simply because it shows just how much we have altared the planet- even it's "song" is different because of human interference!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIJLM2oZip8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38pJhxCzR-I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBCd3LtPiPE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYiWNLv-Bgg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAKXaUMZpOc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Ldqkd0Fa4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKjWRCI4CEQ
Wonderful. Simply wonderful. You're a scribe after my own heart, Alystra.

Seconded.

I haven't been in this thread in quite awhile, so forgive my delayed response.

Its weird because I just used the concept of 'Harmony' in the Fey thread, and it ties directly into the Music of the Spheres, which seems to be the same basic idea you have going on here (and I have heard those sounds before, and it is partially where I derive much of my 'sonic' lore from). Its insanely serendipitous that I happen to read your post immediately after posting something related in the Fey thread.

You and I are on the same page so often its scary.
Ayrik Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 16:14:54
True, the Sekondi were initially seen as interlopers. But in intervening decades their divine lore far exceeded that of the orthodox Elders who came before and they are now the most blessed of Drognard's children. It is followers of d'Twen-tea who betrayed the Old Ways and invoked Drognard's greatest wrath.
Jorkens Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 13:25:17
quote:

No insult was intended, Jorkens. I offer 2d4 sticks of Incense of Obsession as a token of peace. Absolutely pure 1e incense, it has been carefully wrapped within a DMG for many years and has never been touched or tainted by other editions.

Maybe the wrong time to add that I belong to the much maligned cult of the heretical Sekonded, specification the one that honours Drognard in all his images?
Ayrik Posted - 23 Oct 2010 : 01:07:38
No insult was intended, Jorkens. I offer 2d4 sticks of Incense of Obsession as a token of peace. Absolutely pure 1e incense, it has been carefully wrapped within a DMG for many years and has never been touched or tainted by other editions.
Jorkens Posted - 21 Oct 2010 : 11:51:08
quote:

[More Edit]
It appears that Grognard has potent allies other than Zagyg. Lord Osric has joined the cause, and more recently, the mysterious Pathfinder.

No offence, but even if there is an element of respect, no true follower of Drognard (at least get the Great Ones name right!) would count the Pathfinder as a follower and ally. He is a servant of Theerdetion, the conqueror and Pretender. His son is respected but no true Grumbler and Knower of the Better Past of Dice and Hair can ever forget Theerdetions magic harrowing them back into their lairs.
Ayrik Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 13:29:20
Don't forget the most powerful and holy artifacts in the universe - Drognard's Dice. Each of these strange little polyhedral objects commands an array of awesome powers. The entire set together might have enough power to destroy gods. In the unstoppably stable hands of Drognard these Dice are utterly immune to any rules revisions which "nerf" artifact powers.

[Edit]
I have heard of the Icosahedron of the Planes (sometimes referred to as the Drog20)... perhaps this can be used to access the great library?

[More Edit]
It appears that Grognard has potent allies other than Zagyg. Lord Osric has joined the cause, and more recently, the mysterious Pathfinder.
Jorkens Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 13:19:12
Drognards nature is cyclic; he may at times seem dead, but he will always return, at the moment he is on the rise.

He hides time in his beard.All the universes are tied together by strands of the same. Time was an ancient enemy that was mostly conquered after Time killed Drognards lover Vinyyl-Eelpe. Unfortunately with the reawakening of this minor demi-power Time was also re-released. Probably the work of those pesky wizards or their spidery web-servants plotting against the holy dust that will give us visions of true reality.
Ayrik Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 13:12:11
Drognard is the God of Time as well?

Perhaps his demipower status is misleading ... he stores most of his divine power in other times and realities.
Jorkens Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 12:43:08
Don't you know anything? Its Vidriho, the tailor is named Gehdzaer, who prefers the combination of Turmish Asheri dye and the ink of the Merhel-octopus. And although many of the half elven names are secret the number is 77. And you forget the portfolio of grumbling, which by now has given him influence over most mortals and many gods. Even the great Zagyg travels with him, leading the disciples. His followers are increasing now and are spread throughout the world, hiding and working their viles.

But then again, this lying work is surely written by a false demon-god who seeks to drive the world into the damaging vortex of change and disrupting chaos.

What is little known is that the Great Grumbler, the saviour of us all, is creating a number of pocket dimensions in the planes of time, so as to preserve and develop everyone of the various realities he has spied in his journeys and seen in his writings. Let us all bow to the greatest of gods.
Ayrik Posted - 19 Oct 2010 : 12:12:58
Drognard
Preserver of Sacred Lore, Patron of Sages
Lawful Neutral Demigod
Portfolio: Old secrets, Lost lore, Forgotten history, Ancient tomes, Sages, Pedantic behaviour, Blind obsession, Ignorance, and Idiocy

Although not widely known, Drognard is a truly ancient being who may in fact be nearly as old as the Realms themselves; some scholars believe Drognard may have originated as a god of Oerth or perhaps some older forgotten world. He is said to possess a great library of mountainous proportions and he is passionately obsessed with recording, collecting, and cataloging every imaginable bit of Realmslore he can discover. To Drognard no detail is too esoteric, trivial, or inconsequential; no fact is too inaccessible, dangerous, or forbidden; he is utterly and unswervingly obsessed with this one important goal above all other considerations. Little else is known of his great library, though it is thought to exist in a mysterious extra-planar location which even the other gods have never found.

Although Drognard has explored many distant regions throughout the cosmos, he shows little affinity for any particular planes or places beyond the Realms. He uses many guises in his constant travels within the Realms, though he favours the appearance of grizzled and graying human scholars, or sometimes very young and eager ones, and he invariably assumes the odd name "Dee-Yem". He may be found virtually anywhere scribbling and filing careful notes about such details as which phases of the moon encourage fastest growth of the medicinal vidrio herb near Tantras, or the name of Manshoon's second tailor (and which blue dyes he prefers to use), or Mirt's secret money-laundering ledgers from the Year of Lost Watermelons, or a list which names every half-elven male child born in Mirabar over the last 177 winters.

Drognard sometimes works with Deneir, Oghma, Mystra, and other gods who represent knowledge, and they sometimes require access to information only he can find somewhere within his great library. In general, however, the other gods consider Drognard frustrating, unimaginative, strange, and "a little creepy" and so they generally avoid dealing with him whenever possible.

The Time of Troubles was especially difficult for Drognard. He was driven partially insane when his mental link to his great library was severed, a condition which persisted even when his link was restored after the Time of Troubles concluded. Drognard then battled the new gods (whom he sees as false) while striving to support or restore old gods who no longer exist. Some of his portfolio, such as his dominion over Idiots, was apparently acquired after repeated belligerent attacks against the "imposter" Cyric. Drognard's mental stability then continued to erode as successive world-shaking events within the Realms unfolded; by the conclusion of the Spellplague he was driven irrevocably insane. He is now a bitter god who argues and mutters pedantically while obsessively denying every "wrong" fact he sees that contradicts the lore of his great library. He has fixated on the delusion that a powerful cabal of interloping greedy wizards "from the coast" are somehow responsible for causing these discrepencies, and he'll describe this plot in excessive detail to any who'll listen.

Today, Drognard has few followers aside from a group of sages who dwell within the hallowed walls of Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000