Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Azuth and the Magister

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jordanz Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 15:43:58
I have a question for the experts here. What's the deal with Azuth? There seems to be almost no information on him. I would think that the god of Wizards/Mages would have more of a docummented history in the realms. It almost seems like he is as enigmatic as Vecna, God of secrets.

Also what's up with the Magister? What exactly is a magister? Are they similiar to Chosen, except they report to Azuth? Are they particularly powerful? Are the Good, Nuetral, or evil? What is their purpose?
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jordanz Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 14:21:53
quote:
Originally posted by Darsson Spellmaker

Here's some bits of Azuthan lore I can recall off the top of my head (Azuth being my favorite god, after all):
He was the first Magister, and while still a mortal, created the artifact known as The Belt of Stars and battled the demigod Savras.
When he gave up the office of the Magister, Azuth continued in Mystra's service as her first Chosen.
Azuth managed to steal a portion of Savras' divinity as well as imprison him in the Scepter of Savras.
Mystra sponsored him to full godhood soon after these acts.
Azuth was present at the death of the Tyche, and the twin births of Tymora and Beshaba.
During the Time of Troubles, Azuth stepped in to protect a statue of Mystra, in which she had placed a measure of her power, after one of his faithful wizards died protecting it from an undead horde.
Just some Azuth trivia for you guys.
Btw, Vecna, the Maimed God of Greyhawk fame, has had a lot more written about him than Azuth has. Pity, that.

Darrson Thanks! Never knew Azuth was the 1st chosen as well. I wonder when he was a mortal? Also based on his accomplishments perhaps it is safe to say the Mortal Azuth was the greatest spell caster the realms has ever seen...
Brimstone Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 10:49:50
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In the 3e Realms it was Talatha Vaerovree of Innarlith. With the "death" of Mystra in 4e though, I'm guessing that the office may now be defunct -- but we'll all have to wait and see what Ed's spin is on this.

Wasn't she in the short story by Ed called The Many Murders of Manshoon?
Alisttair Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 10:39:29
Ahhh Azuth, the first Magister.
The Secrets of the Magister book is a most excellent one. It's interesting to read the diverse people who held that office. Shows the neutral aspect of Mystra/Mystryl v.2.0
I particularly enjoyed the rules/guidelines for having a PC Magister. I almost got to make use of it with one player.
Eldacar Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 06:58:18
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The Faerūnian gods have got pretty much the same amount of real detail; Azuth is just one of those that's been spared distorting gods-as-people overexposure. By and large gods don't have a history in the Realms (rather their priesthoods do), and they're all enigmatic, despite some illusory appearances to the contrary.

The Magister is Mystra's personal champion; like her Chosen they're charged with promoting the Art, but unlike them it's a completely focused duty, they act as her public figurehead, and they don't serve as vessels for her essence as the Chosen do. They don't report to Azuth. They've ranged from gifted but divinely strengthened near-novices to great archmages, and have been of all alignments. See Secrets of the Magister for more.

As I recall, didn't one of the former Magisters became a Chosen of Mystra upon giving up the Magisterial office?
Darsson Spellmaker Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 06:32:36
Here's some bits of Azuthan lore I can recall off the top of my head (Azuth being my favorite god, after all):
He was the first Magister, and while still a mortal, created the artifact known as The Belt of Stars and battled the demigod Savras.
When he gave up the office of the Magister, Azuth continued in Mystra's service as her first Chosen.
Azuth managed to steal a portion of Savras' divinity as well as imprison him in the Scepter of Savras.
Mystra sponsored him to full godhood soon after these acts.
Azuth was present at the death of the Tyche, and the twin births of Tymora and Beshaba.
During the Time of Troubles, Azuth stepped in to protect a statue of Mystra, in which she had placed a measure of her power, after one of his faithful wizards died protecting it from an undead horde.
Just some Azuth trivia for you guys.
Btw, Vecna, the Maimed God of Greyhawk fame, has had a lot more written about him than Azuth has. Pity, that.

The Sage Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 02:02:40
In the 3e Realms it was Talatha Vaerovree of Innarlith. With the "death" of Mystra in 4e though, I'm guessing that the office may now be defunct -- but we'll all have to wait and see what Ed's spin is on this.
jordanz Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 01:39:10
So who is the Magister now?
The Sage Posted - 25 Nov 2007 : 05:03:32
Well, Secrets of the Magister does touch on aspects of Azuth's existence somewhat.
jordanz Posted - 25 Nov 2007 : 04:00:12
Agreed good stuff. Is there any info out there regarding Azuth's mortal life and subsequent ascension or is that just a rumor? I can envision Elminster as a logical replacement for Azuth if it were ever necessary.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 25 Nov 2007 : 01:49:52
Well now, I learn new things all the time (especially about the Realms).
Kuje Posted - 25 Nov 2007 : 01:43:00
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I just want to add, they can also be any race. In the past their has been dragons and beholders and other races that have been Magisters.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Indeed, some of the non human magisters are: a sun elf, a moon elf, a dark elf renegade from Sshamath, a black dragon, a weredragon, and a beholder mage.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 25 Nov 2007 : 01:18:58
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Magisters could technically be of any alignment, but realistically, it's limited to any-non evil alignment. Talatha is more or less a wandering teacher, teaching people about magic and being a goodwill ambassador for the deities of magic.

I just want to add, they can also be any race. In the past their has been dragons and beholders and other races that have been Magisters.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks.
Kuje Posted - 24 Nov 2007 : 14:56:28
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Magisters could technically be of any alignment, but realistically, it's limited to any-non evil alignment. Talatha is more or less a wandering teacher, teaching people about magic and being a goodwill ambassador for the deities of magic.

Daviot Posted - 24 Nov 2007 : 08:32:16
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz
Also what's up with the Magister? What exactly is a magister? Are they similiar to Chosen, except they report to Azuth? Are they particularly powerful? Are the Good, Nuetral, or evil? What is their purpose?

To sum things up, the Chosen of Mystra are powerful divine agents, and Magister (there's just one) is the official "spokesmage" for Mystra, Azuth, and Savras. The office is administered by Azuth, and past Magisters tended to be recluses since the office, until recently, could be won via challenge-to-the-death. The current Magister is one Talatha Vaerovree of Innarlith on the Lake of Steam, who was literally unknown until she accepted the position.

KnightErrantJR Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 17:16:24
Seriously, I missed Secrets of the Magister when it first came out, but when I started rebuilding my 2nd edition collection via Paizo's PDFs, I got this, and honestly wanted to kick myself for not getting it back then. Even moreso when I realized that I didn't grab the old copy from the hobby shop bins a few months before I got the PDF.
Faraer Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 17:15:58
Yes, he was the first. Magic of Faerūn increases Azuth's role in administering the office, but shouldn't be misinterpreted as having the Magister serve the High One rather then the Lady of Mysteries.
freyar Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 17:10:48
I'll add that probably the best 3e source on the magister is the template in Magic of Faerun. I don't recall there, but there are some details of Azuth's relation to the magister. (I'm not sure, but IIRC Azuth may have been a magister when he was a mortal --- anyone remember?)
Faraer Posted - 23 Nov 2007 : 17:04:51
The Faerūnian gods have got pretty much the same amount of real detail; Azuth is just one of those that's been spared distorting gods-as-people overexposure. By and large gods don't have a history in the Realms (rather their priesthoods do), and they're all enigmatic, despite some illusory appearances to the contrary.

The Magister is Mystra's personal champion; like her Chosen they're charged with promoting the Art, but unlike them it's a completely focused duty, they act as her public figurehead, and they don't serve as vessels for her essence as the Chosen do. They don't report to Azuth. They've ranged from gifted but divinely strengthened near-novices to great archmages, and have been of all alignments. See Secrets of the Magister for more.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000