Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Help bring back the old D&D

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
exorb Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 06:34:16
Help bring back Basic, Expert, Advanced D&D 1 & 2 EDs

Please register at Wizards of the Cost Forms and sign a petition I started to bring back the old rules.
The more posts – the less and less they will be able to ignore it.

It is located in the Out of Print section of the forums:

Quick link: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=769877

Every post helps.
also if you could pos this on any forum you see fit. help spread the word - need hundreds of posts.

TY.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 03 Mar 2007 : 23:44:29
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

Not only that, but most people consider 3.x to be a huge improvement over prior versions...

This will probably be blasphemy, but if we could keep the current set of rules (3.5) and get back to the amount of fluff material we once had in the old 2nd Ed days, I'd be in Forgotten Realms paradise.

Oh yes! A lot of people want this. I was speaking purely of the rulesets, not the amount of available lore.

An update for all the stuff that went before...hell yea! Although you can convert most of it easy enough... it's mainly monsters and NPCs.... well the NPCs might take some time
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Mar 2007 : 21:10:35
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Isn't the best way to bring these editions back just to get together with a few friends and play some games using those editions?

Probably. As long as you have the information on how to use the old rulesets, there's nothing stopping you from using them.

Trying to get a company, however, to go back to selling their old products is on the other hand a futile effort, most likely.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 03 Mar 2007 : 20:44:00
quote:
Originally posted by exorb

Help bring back Basic, Expert, Advanced D&D 1 & 2 EDs

Isn't the best way to bring these editions back just to get together with a few friends and play some games using those editions?

WotC is an organisation whose sole interest is making money and I'm sure that the people who are employees of WotC are very grateful for that fact. I think Ardashir says it best, let's not worry about the ruleset but have more content and setting.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Feb 2007 : 21:07:20
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

Not only that, but most people consider 3.x to be a huge improvement over prior versions...

This will probably be blasphemy, but if we could keep the current set of rules (3.5) and get back to the amount of fluff material we once had in the old 2nd Ed days, I'd be in Forgotten Realms paradise.

Oh yes! A lot of people want this. I was speaking purely of the rulesets, not the amount of available lore.
Ardashir Posted - 26 Feb 2007 : 18:14:20
quote:

scererar Posted - 25 Feb 2007 : 07:20:19
Ah the red boxed set, the memories. I wish that it could be my friend, but I highly doubt this type of thing would occur
Markustay Posted - 25 Feb 2007 : 02:38:31
If this was a petition to update and reprint the D&D setting Mystara, the setting that went with the rules you so desperately crave, then I would have no problem signing it. 3e rules are vastly superior to anything that came before, albeit still not 'perfect'. The Mystara setting however, was one of the richest and most fleshed-out settings TSR ever produced, way beyond what they did for Greyhawk. It was SO good, in fact, that little bits and pieces of it keep creeping into FR lore.

Aranea, Avariel, Crysteel, etc...

Even if they brought back the setting in a single CS tome I'd be overjoyed, although that would never begin to cover all its glory.
lokilokust Posted - 23 Feb 2007 : 14:17:24
why in the hells would i want to do that?
and also, why in the hells would anyone think that wotc would *ever* even consider doing that?
Asgetrion Posted - 06 Feb 2007 : 01:17:17
quote:
Originally posted by Ateth Istarlin

I've already signed this petition.
Although I quite like 3.0/3.5 - I still prefer AD&D, it was a much better system IMHO.
Even if they did re-print all the old AD&D stuff, I think most old-style gamers would still buy a lot of 3.5 stuff just to keep up with things (I would definitely buy all 3.5 FR products & many of the core products as well - they usually have a lot of usefull stuff you can convert!)

Hmmm... I don't know... all the characters of the same class (from a game mechanic perspective) tended to be pretty much alike in AD&D. At that time, I did not even fully realize it beyond the occasional "How to make this fighter different from my previous one?"-type of thoughts.

When D&D 3ed hit the markets, I really understood how much more variance the feats alone could bring into your characters (again, from a purely gamist perspective). Not to mention the multiclassing and Prestige Class -system. I also LOVED the whole unified "D20 for all the major rolls"-theme (skill checks, saving throws, attacks, etc.)

When we were playing AD&D, there were a LOT of house rules, which sometimes changed on a daily basis. And the incorporation of all those Player's Option -books and different Kits felt sometimes overwhelming (and I feel the same with all the Complete Mage/Wizard/Warrior/Old Innkeeper books and the millions and millions of new PrCs in them). It didn't help that each of us in my gaming group (as DMs) used to interpret those optional rules/kits in different ways.

So I feel that D&D has cleared a lot of "fog-of-rules" from the AD&D days, and succeeded in creating a true "pick the best parts to use"-type of gamist rpg system.
Ateth Istarlin Posted - 15 Jan 2007 : 11:05:36
I've already signed this petition.
Although I quite like 3.0/3.5 - I still prefer AD&D, it was a much better system IMHO.
Even if they did re-print all the old AD&D stuff, I think most old-style gamers would still buy a lot of 3.5 stuff just to keep up with things (I would definitely buy all 3.5 FR products & many of the core products as well - they usually have a lot of usefull stuff you can convert!)
Sanishiver Posted - 14 Jan 2007 : 05:11:09
I'd posit 3E is -from an objective standpoint- massively improved/better than previous rules-sets.

But online petitions don't work, either.

J. Grenemyer
Faraer Posted - 13 Jan 2007 : 19:53:41
Where do people get the idea that online petitions ever work? With very rare exceptions, they don't -- certainly not to change a company's whole approach to a product line.
quote:
Not only that, but most people consider 3.x to be a huge improvement over prior versions
I really don't think so; I think most people who play 3E play it mostly because it's the current, newest, in-print game. Rulesets are a matter of different preferences and purposes, not one being objectively better than another.
Jorkens Posted - 13 Jan 2007 : 16:56:40
As much as I prefer the older editions I don't see this happening, people seem to generally prefer the newer ed. and in any case it would not be the same as things have hanged to much in the last twenty years. Retro is never more than a shadow of the real things and just turning the clock back would not work.
Kuje Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 17:51:05
quote:
Originally posted by boddynock

The only thing I miss are the premade adventures of second edition. As a game master I make my adventures by myself but sometimes I use premade adventures. If I'm correct, then they are only 3 new Forgotten realms adventures since the start of 3'rd edition.

Well, WOTC is starting to get back into the premades. FR has a adventure trilogy that starts this year, so that'll make the premades up to 8. You got Into the Dragon’s Lair, Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor, Spider Queen module, Sons of Gruumsh, The Twilight Tomb and then the new trilogy. Plus, there's all those other premades from the core line, which has another 8ish.

However, for awhile WOTC wasn't doing modules because of all the 3rd party modules and modules really don't make as much profit as sourcebooks because modules are usually for DM's and so less of them get bought. But a lot of 3rd party companies stopped making modules, and so WOTC is picking up the slack.
boddynock Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 09:59:04
I started with AD&D '2nd edition and it took a while before I started to play 3'rd edition. First, I didn't like the new rules but after a couple of sessions I began to see the possitive things of the new rules. At this very moment, I prefer 3'rd edition instead of second edition.

The only thing I miss are the premade adventures of second edition. As a game master I make my adventures by myself but sometimes I use premade adventures. If I'm correct, then they are only 3 new Forgotten realms adventures since the start of 3'rd edition.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 09:30:42
You have the old AD&D system continued in Kenzer's Hackmaster, as for the return, altho I'm oldschool I am one of those who considers the new edition vastly superior.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 08:07:20
I'm afraid I can't see you being successful in your quest. Online petitions aren't terribly effective, and WotC doesn't have the best record of paying attention to anything beyond how customers spend their money. Not only that, but most people consider 3.x to be a huge improvement over prior versions, and WotC has sunk a lot of money into marketing and maintaining the system.
Victor_ograygor Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 06:43:05
I don’t know if this can help you
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000