Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Does anybody know...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Eluril Posted - 10 Oct 2006 : 19:07:13
...of anywhere in the UK where I can find a new copy of "Thornhold" by Elaine Cunningham,from the Songs & Swords series? I've checked on Amazon.co.uk,Waterstones & a few other places,but nowhere seems to have it!
I've also checked on the US Amazon.com,but they don't stock it either! Is the book discontinued or something? The rest of the series is available!!!
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Uzzy Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 14:27:02
Victory!!

Finally got Thornhold delivered today. Started reading it already.
silverwizard Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 14:29:59
Well, if memory serves, if you take a train (preferably the Transpennine Express) from Liverpool Lime Street train station, you'll be in Manchester Piccadilly in about an hour. The Travelling Man in Manchester is really close to that station (Dale street I think - I'm too lazy to check it now :-p). So, next time you go for a pint with some friends, suggest a "modest change of locale".
Lysan Lurraxol Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 10:16:05
Ohhh. That shop doesn't have a branch in Liverpool.
It is horrible trying to get a FR book in the UK, Waterstones normally stocks about four, Forbidden Planet used to be good, but there seem to be a lot less now.
Don't talk to me about Amazon.co.uk. I had to wait twelve weeks for Shadowdale, Tantras and Waterdeep. AND only Shadowdale came. Grrr
And I ordered another book in June. It's now October and I still don't have it.
You're best bet is that shop Alaundo and Reefy? mentioned or eBay.
MerrikCale Posted - 14 Oct 2006 : 14:56:08
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I'm not exactly sure how you can do anything about that, it seems llike its out of your hands. Of course, I read the the book when it was first released. Do you ever think about revisiting those characters?

There's a new short story (actually, at 11,000 words, it's on the long side for short stories...) in the upcoming "best of ec" anthology that picks up a few threads from Thornhold. The title is "The Knights of Samular."

sold.
Alaundo Posted - 14 Oct 2006 : 11:43:18
quote:
Originally posted by silverwizard

There's a UK chain of RPG shops called "The Travelling Man". They have stores in Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle, York, and I may be missing something... You could also order through the website, go to www.travgellingman.com

Well met

Indeed, 'tis my trusted source here in the UK (Nottingham is my local) and they always have products for the release date
silverwizard Posted - 14 Oct 2006 : 00:26:10
There's a UK chain of RPG shops called "The Travelling Man". They have stores in Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle, York, and I may be missing something... You could also order through the website, go to www.travgellingman.com
ElaineCunningham Posted - 13 Oct 2006 : 01:42:40
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I'm not exactly sure how you can do anything about that, it seems llike its out of your hands. Of course, I read the the book when it was first released. Do you ever think about revisiting those characters?

There's a new short story (actually, at 11,000 words, it's on the long side for short stories...) in the upcoming "best of ec" anthology that picks up a few threads from Thornhold. The title is "The Knights of Samular."
MerrikCale Posted - 13 Oct 2006 : 00:51:59
ElaineCunningham Posted - 12 Oct 2006 : 13:12:00
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Success! Just got a copy from Ebay. (Had to dig around the international sellers a whole lot though. Found a copy in Germany for a semi-decent price)

Perhaps if lots of us sent letters to WOTC asking for a reprint of the Songs and Swords books? And one from Candlekeep as a whole, maybe?

Not sure it would help, but it's worth a try.

It's frustrating to read of people who want a book and can't get it--or have to pay ridiculous prices for it--because I feel as if I should be doing more to accomodate them. Other than emailing the manuscript file, however, I'm out of options. I've dug through all my boxes of author copies and additional purchased copies, and I'm fairly certain that I only have two copies of THORNHOLD in the house, both of which have been read. If the book is reprinted, I'll have to get a couple of copies myself, so I can give them to my hypothetical grandchildren some day and say, "This is what I was doing when your daddy was little. That should explain a few things."
Uzzy Posted - 12 Oct 2006 : 01:07:33
Success! Just got a copy from Ebay. (Had to dig around the international sellers a whole lot though. Found a copy in Germany for a semi-decent price)

Perhaps if lots of us sent letters to WOTC asking for a reprint of the Songs and Swords books? And one from Candlekeep as a whole, maybe?
Kuje Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 22:45:52
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Good call, Kuje - abebooks.com is a useful resource, I know a couple of people who swear by it, and was originally pointed in its direction after a writer (can't remember who) was praising it in an interview.

Aye,

I've had those sites bookmarked off and on when I can remember to keep them after a HD death/change. :)
Uzzy Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 22:09:24
Thanks Elaine. (For that, and all the wonderful books too. )

Time to write a letter while looking for a copy.
Reefy Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 22:05:49
Good call, Kuje - abebooks.com is a useful resource, I know a couple of people who swear by it, and was originally pointed in its direction after a writer (can't remember who) was praising it in an interview.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 18:40:57
is Thornhold really that rare? I'll have to look around for some more copies...I'd be happy to get soem for others if I found some
Kuje Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 18:13:20
I looked on the net and here's a few places that are selling them.

Abebooks.com has a few from 8 to 50+ american. Do a search for thornhold or elaine's name or both.

Half.com has some for almost 9 to 40 american. Link is:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Thornhold_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ1089947

And bookfinder.com has them new to used from 8.50 to 50+ american, but it lists some overseas shops also.
Eluril Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 17:55:18
Thanks for the help everyone,I'll get onto WotC and see what they say! In the meantime,I'll keep my eye out and see if it pops up anywhere else!
ElaineCunningham Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 17:33:26
quote:
What's the address to write to WOTC?

Wizards of the Coast
ATTENTION: Customer Service
1600 Lind Avenue SW, Suite 400
Renton, WA 98055

Bluenose Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 15:58:36
Try Wayland's Forge in Birmingham. I know that I saw it last time I was in Birmingham, and that's the likeliest place. Though I went in a couple of second hand bookshops, so it might have been one of those.
Uzzy Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 14:11:34
Mmm, that £30 pricetag is why ive held off getting it, despite it being the only book of yours I dont own, Elaine. >.<

Whats the address to write to WOTC?
ElaineCunningham Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 13:04:27
quote:

Oddly enough, ive got the same problem. I saw Thornhold come up recently on Ebay (couple of weeks back) and got promptly snapped up.

Ive seen a few on Amazon.co.uk, actually. Although they are ones that get shipped in from America. So, if you dont mind spending £30 on a Paperback..

I'm sorry, but that's too much to spend on a paperback novel. And I wrote the thing.

As much as I dislike suggesting this sort of thing, it might be a good idea to write to WotC and ask when the book will be reprinted. I've received dozens of emails from people who can't find the book, and sent copies to quite a few of them. As an experiment, I put a few copies up for sale on Amazon.com on two or three occasions, and each time they were gone within a day or two. That would suggest that there's a demand. The publisher won't know about it, however, unless they HEAR about it. There are so many books to choose from that most people who can't find a particular book shrug and move on. Perhaps registering interest in this book by sending a note would be a good idea.

I would not suggest this if I thought WotC was deliberately letting the book go OOP. There's another book in this series currently in progress, which leads me to believe that they plan to print up more copies of the first five sooner or later.
Uzzy Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 01:49:03
Oddly enough, ive got the same problem. I saw Thornhold come up recently on Ebay (couple of weeks back) and got promptly snapped up.

Ive seen a few on Amazon.co.uk, actually. Although they are ones that get shipped in from America. So, if you dont mind spending £30 on a Paperback..
The Sage Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 01:19:02
quote:
Originally posted by Eluril

...of anywhere in the UK where I can find a new copy of "Thornhold" by Elaine Cunningham,from the Songs & Swords series? I've checked on Amazon.co.uk,Waterstones & a few other places,but nowhere seems to have it!
I've also checked on the US Amazon.com,but they don't stock it either! Is the book discontinued or something? The rest of the series is available!!!

Strangely, there are still copies available of Thornhold in many online AUS bookstores.

As well, I've also seen a copy pop up on Dragontrove occasionally. I suggest you keep an eye out on there as well.
Kuje Posted - 10 Oct 2006 : 21:12:32
try nobleknight.com. Well never mind, he doesn't have a copy either.
Reefy Posted - 10 Oct 2006 : 20:28:34
Keep checking eBay is about all I can offer.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 10 Oct 2006 : 19:24:37
quote:
Originally posted by Eluril

I've also checked on the US Amazon.com, but they don't stock it either! Is the book discontinued or something? The rest of the series is available!!!

The book has not been declared out of print, but it appears to be out of stock. Yes, I know--there really isn't much practical difference between the two, at least not where readers and writers are concerned.

WotC will probably print up some copies of Thornhold when the sixth and final book of the Songs & Swords series is released in early 2008. I wish I could suggest a better solution, but I don't have a single copy (other than my reference copy) of the book; I've sent them all to readers who couldn't find the book elsewhere.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000