Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Spam Via the Candlekeep Site

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 10 Oct 2006 : 13:46:14
I recieved this email today 10/9/2006 and just thought you all should know!

Subject: Sent From Candlekeep Forum by valsara
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:12:59 +0100
Hello VonRaventheDaring

You received the following message from: valsara
(valsara_kone@yahoo.com)

At: http://forum.candlekeep.com/

DEAREST ONE,

I GOT YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION THROUGH THIS SITE AND I DECIDED TO
CONTACT YOU DIRECTLY,HOPING THAT BY ALMIGHTY GOD GRACE YOU WILL SUCCESSFULLY
ASSIST ME OUT FROM MY SITUATION AFTER MY SEVEN GOOD DAYS PRAYERS AND
FASTING OVER SEEKING FOR AN OVERSEES GUARDANCE .

I AM VALSARA KONE(22 YEARS OLD) THE DAUGTHER OF LATE JOSEPH KONE
WATTARAH WHO WAS A FAMOUS POLITICIAN BASED IN ABIDJAN,THE ECONOMIC CAPITAL
OF IVORY COAST WHO WAS ASSINATED. I AM SEEKING FOR YOUR URGENT ATTENTION
TO HELP ME TRANSFER THE SUM OF (US$10,500,000.00 )TEN MILLION FIVE
HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATE OF AMERICAN DOLLARS INTO YOUR NOMINATED BANK
ACCOUNT OVERSEAS FOR AN INVESTMENTS PURPOSES,SUCH AS REAL ESTATES
MANAGEMENTS AND STOCK MARKERTS.

PLEASE I AM WILLING TO OFFER YOU 15% OF THIS MY TOTAL FUND AS YOUR
COMMISSION FOR YOUR URGENT ASSISTANCE TO ME.PLEASE KINDLY WRITE FOR MORE
IMPORTANT DETAILS CONCERNING THIS MY MUTUAL TRANSACTION. SEND URGENTLY
REPLT TO (valsara_kone555@yahoo.com)YOURS
VALSARA KONE

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Dec 2006 : 21:23:03
I got another of these emails, this time to my ISP email. It wasn't Candlekeep-related, but I'm mentioning it because I was amused by the sender: Murphy Brown.
Alaundo Posted - 02 Dec 2006 : 10:49:36
Well met

To avoid this scroll going on and on with reports of spam, please forward me any emails you get on this matter.

I'll be applying the fix at some point this weekend, so hopefull it will eliminate any future occurances.

Thank ye.
Dargoth Posted - 02 Dec 2006 : 04:21:45
Got it to
The Sage Posted - 02 Dec 2006 : 00:24:44
And I still missed this one.

Alright for SageOS!
Kaladorm Posted - 01 Dec 2006 : 23:30:14
Now Mace, I just want to get the one about the diamond trade in similarly ironic circumstances
KnightErrantJR Posted - 01 Dec 2006 : 20:49:31
Same here, I got two of them.
Halidan Posted - 01 Dec 2006 : 20:31:45
I got two of them this morning as well. Looks like an epidemic.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Dec 2006 : 16:36:56
I got that one, too.
Kuje Posted - 01 Dec 2006 : 16:08:40
Furthermore,

I got that in my MSN account as well
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 01 Dec 2006 : 15:56:02
So did I...while I was drinking coffee...how weird is that?
Kuje Posted - 01 Dec 2006 : 15:55:00
Hello Kuje

You received the following message from: owusu225 (owusu_koffi11@yahoo.com)

At: http://forum.candlekeep.com/

FROM OWUSU KOFFI
Abidjan,Cote d'ivoire
West Africa
owusu_koffi120@yahoo.com

Dear Sir,
Compliments of the day,how is things over there together with your family?hope that all is well with you.

I am Owusu (24Years old) while my sister ROSE (22Years old) The children of late Mr & Mrs RICHARAD KOFFI who was a rich, famous and wealthy cocoa merchant and Gold dealers based in Abidjan ,The economic capital of Ivory Coast. We are seeking your attention to help us transfer the sum(USD 12,500,000.00) twelve million five hundred thousand United State American dollars into your account for an investment purposes,Such as real estates and stock markerts,as this money was deposited with my name in the bank as next of kin before the sudden death of our father.

So why we contacted you is to help us invest this money in your country for us,and help us to continue our education,also you will help us to get our resident permit in your country. As we will need your urgent help to transfer this money out of africa because of our uncle who killed our father is after our lives because of this money.

Please dear, I and my Sister are willing to offer you 20% of the total sum as a made of compensation for your urgent assistance to us .Please kindly contact us immediately you got this mail with my private email contact Email
owusu_koffi120@yahoo.com

Yours sincerely,
Owusu Koffi
Kaladorm Posted - 29 Nov 2006 : 00:04:55
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Does anyones spam blocker catch these?

I assumed mine doesn't simply because it comes as a PM, not an email as such, and it would have no reason to reject anything from candlekeep.

The last one I got went to my Junk Mail folder... Of course, since I have Hotmail, that really doesn't mean anything. It's sometimes difficult to convince Hotmail to *not* label some email as spam.

The upgrade to Live mail seems a lot better.

The old junk mail filter was hideous, I used to check my junk folder just as often as my inbox, either moving spam to it or moving non-spam out of it
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Nov 2006 : 23:43:03
quote:

I assumed mine doesn't simply because it comes as a PM, not an email as such, and it would have no reason to reject anything from candlekeep.

The last one I got went to my Junk Mail folder... Of course, since I have Hotmail, that really doesn't mean anything. It's sometimes difficult to convince Hotmail to *not* label some email as spam.
Kaladorm Posted - 28 Nov 2006 : 22:46:19

Delzounblood Posted - 25 Nov 2006 : 14:22:59
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

I seem to get loads of these

My quick simple answer is not for the forum boards but sort of goes like this, #### OFF STOP SENDING ME THIS ####!!!

Just use your imagination for the #'s

Delz

Delz, maybe the reason why you get so many if them is probably that you do reply to them - when someone replies it tells the spammer that the E-mail address is "live", and it increases in value on the E-mail address exchange - you've just made a poor spammer's portfolio go up in value

I get them through my work email which is live 24/7 I am always on and my email address is listed all over because of work!!

Delz
Delzounblood Posted - 25 Nov 2006 : 14:20:38
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

That sounds like a good idea, aslong as true Realms fans are not Put Off by the idea of having to be quized to join!

Delz

Well,

Here's my comment on that. If, at the quized page, there's some text explaining why we are having people quized to join, then I'd figure most people wouldn't have a issue with it. With the amount of spam people get, ya'd think they would be appreciative that we are trying to curtail any spam coming from this site...

An explanation would work, It's just I don't see the Keep as a closed Club! more of an open arms type of place, I agree we need to do something. The explanation as to why should do it with the questionaire.

Delz

Delz
Zimme Posted - 25 Nov 2006 : 01:36:49
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

I seem to get loads of these

My quick simple answer is not for the forum boards but sort of goes like this, #### OFF STOP SENDING ME THIS ####!!!

Just use your imagination for the #'s

Delz

Delz, maybe the reason why you get so many if them is probably that you do reply to them - when someone replies it tells the spammer that the E-mail address is "live", and it increases in value on the E-mail address exchange - you've just made a poor spammer's portfolio go up in value

Im guity of sending mail back too. I got POed in a big way and sent a very dark mail back It dident help, but it made me feel better
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 16:28:46
Hear hear!

The questionnaire isn't an elitist thing, and as Kuje said, if we explain it people should understand. Seriously, who would go through such trouble reading up lore that is not available in Wikipedia or some such thing just to bother people with spam?
The Sage Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 15:57:58
I'd have to agree.

Plus, it postively increases the reputation of the site and the Forums themselves around the net. I've actually stopped visting several of my favorite forums simply because the admin/site staff have little interest in actually combating the scams and spam emails being sent through their site to registered posters.

If Candlekeep can show it's doing all it can to combat this problem here, then that's another win for us, our scribes, potential new scribes, and the FR online community as a whole.
Kuje Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 15:48:44
quote:

That sounds like a good idea, aslong as true Realms fans are not Put Off by the idea of having to be quized to join!

Delz

Well,

Here's my comment on that. If, at the quized page, there's some text explaining why we are having people quized to join, then I'd figure most people wouldn't have a issue with it. With the amount of spam people get, ya'd think they would be appreciative that we are trying to curtail any spam coming from this site...
Delzounblood Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 10:50:52

Delz
Alaundo Posted - 24 Nov 2006 : 08:16:53
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Hey Alaundo how about forcing all future Candlekeep members to answer a realms question before they can be issued a login as part of the account creation process?

Say something like Nam one of Mystras chosen etc

That should make the Nigerian crooks job harder

Well met

Aye, i'm was only looking into that very option only recently, Dargoth.

This memberIP has now been blocked. I have yet to get the modification in place for this issue, so apologies again.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Nov 2006 : 14:22:40
quote:

edit: speaking of which, does candlekeep have one of those 'enter the numbers in the box' things on signup to prevent automated ones or not?

I like this idea a lot more than the idea of a questionnaire...
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 23 Nov 2006 : 10:18:02
I'm all for a questionnaire, just leave out any question regarding Drizzt, so we actually people genuinely interested in the Realms.

In the "real" Candlekeep you have to bring a book worth 10k gold to be admitted, why not put up the "same" requirement?
Kaladorm Posted - 23 Nov 2006 : 09:25:10
Isn't most spam semi- or fully automated? My thoughts were if the question had to be answered on creation, even a simple one, that it would foil any automated program and put off anyone putting in the effort just to spam

edit: speaking of which, does candlekeep have one of those 'enter the numbers in the box' things on signup to prevent automated ones or not?
Jorkens Posted - 23 Nov 2006 : 07:53:33
How nice it is to wake up to another call for aid from another Candlekeep "member".

I am a little bit unsure when it comes to a questionnaire; If we use to easy questions all it takes is a simple web search and if its to difficult it turns real realms fans away. Alaundos plan of only opening the ability to send private mails after a certain number of posts (say, five) is a better one, if it can be done.
Kaladorm Posted - 22 Nov 2006 : 17:05:49
Just noticed the marinafred email address is coming up as a link in the quotations. Wouldn't it be funny if one of the spiders got hold of this email and started sending spam to it
Kaladorm Posted - 22 Nov 2006 : 17:04:49
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar

quote:
Hey Alaundo how about forcing all future Candlekeep members to answer a realms question before they can be issued a login as part of the account creation process?

or they educate themselves in Realms Lore and learn not to abuse the 'keep

seriously, a questionare isn't a bad idea except it would exclude the newbies and youngsters that do not know that much Realms Lore (yet)

Not that we particularly want to do that (as I'm sure Candlekeep is as much about teaching others as it is learning) but I think maybe 5 questions (of which you have to answer one) should give anyone legitimate with even a basic grasp of the realms access
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 22 Nov 2006 : 16:41:38
quote:

or they educate themselves in Realms Lore and learn not to abuse the 'keep

seriously, a questionare isn't a bad idea except it would exclude the newbies and youngsters that do not know that much Realms Lore (yet)
Kaladorm Posted - 22 Nov 2006 : 16:36:38
That's a good idea Dargoth.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000