Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Final Gate: Chapters 15 - 18 & Epilogue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 31 May 2006 : 21:22:35
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Final Gate (Book 3 of The Last Mythal Trilogy), by Richard Baker. Please discuss chapters 15 - 18 and the epilogue herein.

Richard Baker will be here to answer any questions and respond to comments
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RichardBaker Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 21:10:23
Thanks, Octa! Glad you liked the story. I think you're probably right about Araevin and his posse. One less character there, maybe two, wouldn't have hurt at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Rich- In all honesty I really loved the book, and I thought the characterization was actually pretty good, trust me I have grown pretty picky in my old age and the only FR authors I can stomach now are You, Ed, Paul Kemp and Steven Schend.

Some people like the characters in their novels to have expository soliliquies (sp?) where they bare their souls in order for the readers to understand their 'characters' and some don't, you don't write in that way and it means it takes alot more to get your point across. I.e. its much easier to say 'Araevin was afraid' or have him internal monologue about how he hasn't been this afraid since the Balrog ate his sister, than it is to show how he is afraid descriptively, by action, body posture etc....

Part of it just might be age, I suspect the younger people like and expect those soliloques in their fantasy more than us old times.

The one thing I will say is that you should have kept the old fat lovable first priest of Lathander in the Mix, Donnor was just too much of a dudley do right.

I think that overall the Ilseve, Seveiril, and Fflar parts of the story line worked better than the Araevin story line. The Araevin story line had too many characters, the yuirwood ranger, the star elf bard, the lathanderite and the thief, I would have increased the tension by killing them all off one by one until only Araevin was left, although I guess they needed at least three warm bodies to use the Gate Keepers crystal.

The scenes that cast doubt on Fflar's motives were particulary good, and overall Ilseve, Fflar and Seveiril really came alive, at least for me, so thanks for a great book, :)

Octa Posted - 04 Jan 2007 : 23:01:13
Rich- In all honesty I really loved the book, and I thought the characterization was actually pretty good, trust me I have grown pretty picky in my old age and the only FR authors I can stomach now are You, Ed, Paul Kemp and Steven Schend.

Some people like the characters in their novels to have expository soliliquies (sp?) where they bare their souls in order for the readers to understand their 'characters' and some don't, you don't write in that way and it means it takes alot more to get your point across. I.e. its much easier to say 'Araevin was afraid' or have him internal monologue about how he hasn't been this afraid since the Balrog ate his sister, than it is to show how he is afraid descriptively, by action, body posture etc....

Part of it just might be age, I suspect the younger people like and expect those soliloques in their fantasy more than us old times.

The one thing I will say is that you should have kept the old fat lovable first priest of Lathander in the Mix, Donnor was just too much of a dudley do right.

I think that overall the Ilseve, Seveiril, and Fflar parts of the story line worked better than the Araevin story line. The Araevin story line had too many characters, the yuirwood ranger, the star elf bard, the lathanderite and the thief, I would have increased the tension by killing them all off one by one until only Araevin was left, although I guess they needed at least three warm bodies to use the Gate Keepers crystal.

The scenes that cast doubt on Fflar's motives were particulary good, and overall Ilseve, Fflar and Seveiril really came alive, at least for me, so thanks for a great book, :)
Wandering_mage Posted - 02 Jan 2007 : 19:56:23
Dremvek, you response is both comical and well said. :)
Dremvek Posted - 02 Jan 2007 : 15:33:40
I can think of plenty of human cultures in the real world that I don't understand at all, much less to the point that I'd be able to write believably from their point of view. Yet, I could probably figure out how to mate and have offspring with them.
Wandering_mage Posted - 31 Dec 2006 : 14:23:42
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
I didn't say that they were. I was refering to the comment by the author of a Warhammer 40,000 book featuring an alien race (Tyranids), which I felt was similiar to what Richard said earlier.

I mentioned that because while I agree that elves shouldn't be depicted as "humans with pointy-ears", I also disagree with the opposite argument that seems to have cropped up here: that elves are so alien to humans that we could never understand them, and their characters just can't ring true to us if they are written properly (if I misunderstood anything here, I do apologize).

I've thought about this for a while, and overall I think elves as they are depicted in D&D share more similarities with humans then differences (they can mate with humans, for goodness sake) so I'm just having trouble "buying" the "elves are alien" argument.

That just doesn't stick very well Rino. In reality a different culture can be so misunderstood that an entire society can misunderstands said culture. Of course there are the traveled ones among us that bridge the gap, but these people are few and far between. If I recall correctly in realms writing often times, elves are often friendly with an elf-friend because this person has bridged the divide between elven culture and human culture (despite the fact that there are several human cultures on Faerun). Just a thought. Then again I am not very invested in the argument but merely pointing out something that might be relevant.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 21:55:57
quote:
I didn't say that they were. I was refering to the comment by the author of a Warhammer 40,000 book featuring an alien race (Tyranids), which I felt was similiar to what Richard said earlier.

I mentioned that because while I agree that elves shouldn't be depicted as "humans with pointy-ears", I also disagree with the opposite argument that seems to have cropped up here: that elves are so alien to humans that we could never understand them, and their characters just can't ring true to us if they are written properly (if I misunderstood anything here, I do apologize).

I've thought about this for a while, and overall I think elves as they are depicted in D&D share more similarities with humans then differences (they can mate with humans, for goodness sake) so I'm just having trouble "buying" the "elves are alien" argument.
Lord Rad Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 10:38:03
quote:

If elves are so very alien, how come they can breed with humans (and other creatures) and produce non-sterile offspring? And that's only one similarity (they wear clothes, have relationships, have culture, worship gods, and so forth). They aren't xenomorphs.

Wandering_mage Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 00:10:00
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

No worries, Trace. I set out to write a strongly plot-driven story. Sometimes plot serves the characters, sometimes characters serve the plot. In Last Mythal, I hoped to create a "technothriller" in the Realms--a Tom Clancy-style action-based story. I tried hard to craft interesting and empathic characters within that overall plot-driven framework, with apparently mixed results.

One thing I discovered in working on this series is that elves (rather like aliens in SF) are very, very difficult to write well. Either you make them just like humans with pointy ears, or you try to make them something essentially different and risk losing some of the depth or "texture" readers expect from human characters. I felt that the humans-with-pointy-ears approach was a cop-out, so I took a run at the second option. Araevin, Seiveril, Ilsevele, they're all innately good people... noble, generous, courageous, almost inhumanly so. That's the fantasy of the Last Mythal's elven characters--not that they're just as realistic or believable as real people, but instead they're *better* than just about anybody you would ever meet in real life. And so at times they may ring a little false.

As far as the characters *I* liked, well, I felt that Fflar was the most interesting character, really. Coming to terms with his resurrection, the idea that his wife came to love someone else after his death, his attraction to Ilsevele--there was some good stuff there. I was especially proud of the scene where he found his wife's grave. Maresa, on the other hand, was easy. She was just a smartass, but I guess she "stuck" where other characters didn't. Go figure. Smartass = good characterization, hero mourning a wife who showed up in Arvandor married to someone else = cardboard cutout. Clearly I don't know as much about this business as I thought I did (which wasn't all that much anyway!)

This actually explains a lot to me. I have read some Tom Clancy and although I generally think his writing is poor he has some great books under his belt (Red Storm..). Plus your take on the characterization of the elven heroes in your series Rich is a hearty attempt at shaking things up and I tip my hat to you for that. Maybe some of the criticism stems from the fact that some FR readers haven't read a Clancy book and thus know not from where you are coming from. I still think this was a great book in a great series. On of the best war campaign/adventurering novels out there even.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 22:36:11
quote:

I read a similiar explanation of how to portray non-human races recently in a Warhammer 40,000 book. The author stated that they will always write from the viewpoint of the Imperium (humans) as that is what we, the reader (and the author, of course), can relate too. Writing from the alien's point of view would just give them a human feel and logical methods and actions with just a different visual appearance.

If elves are so very alien, how come they can breed with humans (and other creatures) and produce non-sterile offspring? And that's only one similarity (they wear clothes, have relationships, have culture, worship gods, and so forth). They aren't xenomorphs.

Just throwing that thought out there--that's all I'll say for now, since I've already said my piece about the characters and how I think they are written.

Lord Rad Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 17:51:59
quote:

One thing I discovered in working on this series is that elves (rather like aliens in SF) are very, very difficult to write well. Either you make them just like humans with pointy ears, or you try to make them something essentially different and risk losing some of the depth or "texture" readers expect from human characters. I felt that the humans-with-pointy-ears approach was a cop-out, so I took a run at the second option. Araevin, Seiveril, Ilsevele, they're all innately good people... noble, generous, courageous, almost inhumanly so. That's the fantasy of the Last Mythal's elven characters--not that they're just as realistic or believable as real people, but instead they're *better* than just about anybody you would ever meet in real life. And so at times they may ring a little false.

I read a similiar explanation of how to portray non-human races recently in a Warhammer 40,000 book. The author stated that they will always write from the viewpoint of the Imperium (humans) as that is what we, the reader (and the author, of course), can relate too. Writing from the alien's point of view would just give them a human feel and logical methods and actions with just a different visual appearance.

quote:

As far as the characters *I* liked, well, I felt that Fflar was the most interesting character, really. Coming to terms with his resurrection, the idea that his wife came to love someone else after his death, his attraction to Ilsevele--there was some good stuff there. I was especially proud of the scene where he found his wife's grave. Maresa, on the other hand, was easy. She was just a smartass, but I guess she "stuck" where other characters didn't. Go figure. Smartass = good characterization, hero mourning a wife who showed up in Arvandor married to someone else = cardboard cutout. Clearly I don't know as much about this business as I thought I did (which wasn't all that much anyway!)

I agree completely. I loved Fflar and thought he was a very well written character. I found myself looking forward to his passages all through the series and the parts with his wife and Ilsevele really stick in my mind
khorne Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 22:05:54
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

I dont really think they had a choice in later abandoning the ruins of Myth Glaurach. They needed all their strength for the fight for the ruins of Myth Drannor.
Anyway, I liked the way malkizid was destroyed but I don't really believe that he's gone for good. I agree with Richard writing with characters of immense age or power is very difficult so I don't blame him that many readers won't recognize that he has been planning contingencies etc for longer than most human kingdoms have existed. The way he fought is more or less what I expected from him... he thought Araevin et al. would fight him whereas they just were toying with him till they got in position.

No way was Malkizid destroyed for good. He`s an archdevil and fallen solar, and killing him permanently would probably require substantially more "oomph" than what happened in the novel.(at least, that's my opinion)
BlackAce Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 21:00:02
*Is still biting his tongue till he get's a copy...*

Delivery estimate 4-6 weeks??!! Curse you, Amazon!!!
RichardBaker Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 20:31:48
No worries, Trace. I set out to write a strongly plot-driven story. Sometimes plot serves the characters, sometimes characters serve the plot. In Last Mythal, I hoped to create a "technothriller" in the Realms--a Tom Clancy-style action-based story. I tried hard to craft interesting and empathic characters within that overall plot-driven framework, with apparently mixed results.

quote:
Originally posted by Trace_Coburn
All in all, as a plot-driven novel, Final Gate is pretty good. But for getting a true sense of the characters, understanding their motivations and feelings, and living their pain and turmoil as they go through all of these upheavals in Faerūn's history and social/political landscape...
... well, it's a good plot-driven novel.
Sorry to say it, Richard, but I have to call 'em like I see 'em. Maybe the editors took out a little too much when they were trimming the manuscript down for printing? [/font=Trebuchet MS]

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 25 Dec 2006 : 15:34:58
quote:
Originally posted by Trace_Coburn
Now, it may have been a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, but did anyone read the description of The Pale Sybil while she was propositioning Araevin (p.159 - in Ch.09, with my apologies) and wonder if she might be a Sharran? If so, would anyone care to speculate as to whether she might return from her planar dislocation and cause trouble in the upcoming module trilogy about the trauma to the Weave? ISTR that Shar's slated to get involved in that....

Good question...I thought the Pale Sybil was pretty interesting, myself, and I wouldn't mind knowing more about her. I honestly thought that if there was actually a scene where Araevin was stuck in bed with her (and likely trying to get out of it), it would have added some memorable, much needed drama (and potentially humor) to the novel.
Trace_Coburn Posted - 25 Dec 2006 : 09:18:07
quote:
Well yeah...if the only silly/unrealistic/inconsistent thing about the trilogy was the heroes "rolling all 20s", I probably would have liked trilogy a lot more. As it stands, I saw a lot more problems with it than that.

I just finished Final Gate today, at a snooze-a-thon family gathering... and I find myself backing Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's position and comments pretty much all the way down the line.
Maybe it's because I don't have and thus haven't read Forsaken House; maybe it was reading a bunch of spoilers back when I thought I hadn't a prayer of actually finding and reading the novels; maybe it's because I took a two-month break six pages into chapter five; maybe it's because the dialogue mostly comes across as... well, flat, clichéd, or both; but of Araevin's team, Maresa's the only one who strikes me as having any personality at all (and that's counting Araevin himself). I had a hard time telling the others apart, and a harder one really caring about their fates. Indeed, with the exception of the Lorosfyr sequences and the Crusade's battles with Sarya's forces outside of Myth Drannor itself - the final investment of the city was oddly disappointing, and Seiveril mainly died of a case of the dumbs - I found myself curiously unmoved by the book as a whole.

That said, the Underdark sequences were some of the most evocative depictions of that realm that I've ever seen - that chasm was downright spooky, and nothing really happened there until they got into the depths.

Semi-random observations:
Now, it may have been a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, but did anyone read the description of The Pale Sybil while she was propositioning Araevin (p.159 - in Ch.09, with my apologies) and wonder if she might be a Sharran? If so, would anyone care to speculate as to whether she might return from her planar dislocation and cause trouble in the upcoming module trilogy about the trauma to the Weave? ISTR that Shar's slated to get involved in that....

The mention of apple trees in Lorosfyr is quite heartening, given my own use thereof in a recent Candlekeep Compedium contribution detailing an Underdark civilisation. It's a nice touch in its own right, of course, but finding a hint of canon support for a semi-random touch of my own is pretty cool.

Finally, the Zhents are shown winning one! Granted, my only previous experience with them was through Spellfire and Crown of Fire, but (owing to various editorial limitations) those books created an unfortunate impression, in that it was pretty hard to take the Zhentarim seriously when they spent most of their word-count getting squashed by the Hero of the Day. Now, though, they've not only capitalised on the misfortunes of and defeated one of their bitterest rivals, they've broken Hillsfar and (per Bane's doctrine) are unlikely to relax their grip in the foreseeable future, making pretty much the entire Moonsea 'a Zhentish lake'.
(Calling all Harpers: you've got biiig problems north of Shadowdale....)

All in all, as a plot-driven novel, Final Gate is pretty good. But for getting a true sense of the characters, understanding their motivations and feelings, and living their pain and turmoil as they go through all of these upheavals in Faerūn's history and social/political landscape...
... well, it's a good plot-driven novel.
Sorry to say it, Richard, but I have to call 'em like I see 'em. Maybe the editors took out a little too much when they were trimming the manuscript down for printing?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Dec 2006 : 20:52:15
quote:
Originally posted by krocha
As for the battle with the fiendish army being unrealistic, I can't see how that statement can be made. This is an heroic epic. Maybe 9 out of 10 times if this type of battle happened again the fiends would win but this one time the heroes all rolled 20's... Is it probable? No. But possible, yes, and as long as it's possible then I have no problem with it. Drannor.

Well yeah...if the only silly/unrealistic/inconsistent thing about the trilogy was the heroes "rolling all 20s", I probably would have liked trilogy a lot more. As it stands, I saw a lot more problems with it than that.
krocha Posted - 12 Dec 2006 : 18:39:40
I'm honestly amazed at the naysayers of this book. The only fault I found with it was that it was rather hastily ended. Overall I thought it was a very enjoyable read. So much so that it's brought me back to DMing in the Realms and reading other "realmsian" books again (I've probably dropped a couple hundred in catching up on Reamls sourcebooks and novels I had passed up on.). I would have liked to se Sarya escape to fight another day as I absolutely love the Fey'ri but oh well. As for the battle with the fiendish army being unrealistic, I can't see how that statement can be made. This is an heroic epic. Maybe 9 out of 10 times if this type of battle happened again the fiends would win but this one time the heroes all rolled 20's... Is it probable? No. But possible, yes, and as long as it's possible then I have no problem with it. The improbable can always happen (it does so even here in real life. Remember the story of Thermopylae? yes I know in the end none of them survived but they didn't have the benefit of high level clerics and magical healing...) Alos, as I think Rich said earlier, they weren't fighting a bunch of 1st level elf warriors. These where bonified high level heroes they where going up against.

My only real complaint was with the epilogue. I would have rather not had the 5 years in the future glimpse. Instead I would have liked to seen a bit on pockets of Fey'ri escaping and the plans put in place to hunt them down and also the plans to rebuild Myth Drannor.
Wandering_mage Posted - 27 Oct 2006 : 03:47:03
Wooly ya got me! I just scared my coworkers I was laughing so hard.
Alaundo Posted - 26 Oct 2006 : 22:29:46
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I agree. I was on my seat the whole way through the series. Rich knew what he was doing.

What, do you normally read standing up?

::slap::
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2006 : 21:19:51
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I agree. I was on my seat the whole way through the series. Rich knew what he was doing.

What, do you normally read standing up?
Wandering_mage Posted - 26 Oct 2006 : 20:52:59
Lord Teclis Posted - 06 Oct 2006 : 22:24:23
I have read every forgotten realm novel that has been printed and shiped to england. I have to say that there are some mis mash accounts and several parts of the trilogy that dont intirely make sense.... HOWEVER, D&D is about Fantasy and Mythical creation, I define anyone to say that this exceptional trilogy dosnt describe what Fiction and Fantasy should be about. Well done Richard and thank you for endless hours of enjoyment.

In my humble opinion this is one of the best set of novels yet.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 30 Aug 2006 : 19:44:21
I dont really think they had a choice in later abandoning the ruins of Myth Glaurach. They needed all their strength for the fight for the ruins of Myth Drannor.
Anyway, I liked the way malkizid was destroyed but I don't really believe that he's gone for good. I agree with Richard writing with characters of immense age or power is very difficult so I don't blame him that many readers won't recognize that he has been planning contingencies etc for longer than most human kingdoms have existed. The way he fought is more or less what I expected from him... he thought Araevin et al. would fight him whereas they just were toying with him till they got in position.
I would have liked to see Sarya go down differently. I think if the others ahdnt coem through the gate it woudl haev beena better scene. Maybe having a threeway fight between Malkizid's agents, Sarya's and Araevin's.
I also thought that using teh gatekeeper's crystal to destroy powerful works fo teh Art killed the other two holding the secondary pieces of the crystal. I think i remember this being discussed earlier in the novel that when sarya used it on the namelesss dungeon her two servants died. I wanted to see the genasi and human both die. (sick i know)
I do agree with one of the first posters that there could haev been more bloodshed. Even if you, Richard, killed as many as in other novels, I think the nature of the events within the novel require more of a scarifice to be made. EVEN IF all the characters are drawn apart because of inherent character flaws.
Lastly, what do they call myth drannor now?? at first i thought it should be called that because the mythal was ruined but then i remembered that the mythal was rebuilt. Hmm... new drannor Myth Teshurr?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 01:40:05
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

I can't believe that the elves will just walk away from an old mythal in a land once ruled by them.

correction: an old mythal that was strengthened and purified of the elements that Sarya and Malkizid inserted into it, and was paid for in elvish blood.

In the epilogue of Forsaken House, Seiveril talks of continuing his crusade, and when asked what will happen to empty Myth Glaurach, he says "it won't be empty" and continues that the folk of the High Forest and the Silver MArches will watch over the place when they leave.

But as of now, it's not resettled yet, which is what I was arguing against. My point stands.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 01:39:18
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:
I don't think it's going to be as simple and quick as you are making it out to be.

The retaking of Myth Drannor was!

Well, that's one reason why I don't care overmuch for this novel.

Also, to be fair we don't see Myth Drannor as truly resettled until the epilogue which takes place five years in the future. But like I said, I didn't care much for the epilogue, either.
Mkhaiwati Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 18:05:35
I can't believe that the elves will just walk away from an old mythal in a land once ruled by them.

correction: an old mythal that was strengthened and purified of the elements that Sarya and Malkizid inserted into it, and was paid for in elvish blood.

In the epilogue of Forsaken House, Seiveril talks of continuing his crusade, and when asked what will happen to empty Myth Glaurach, he says "it won't be empty" and continues that the folk of the High Forest and the Silver MArches will watch over the place when they leave.

Mkhaiwati
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 14:13:14
quote:
I'm honestly not sure where you are getting this idea--I don't recall reading any such thing in the novels.

Also, my little list of questions was rhetorical--also, there are many more factors that go into resettling of a former ruin (including getting enough people to just up and *settle* there), and I don't think it's going to be as simple and quick as you are making it out to be.

I may be wrong, I'll have to go back into the first book to check...

quote:
I don't think it's going to be as simple and quick as you are making it out to be.

The retaking of Myth Drannor was!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 03:32:26
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

A lot of people have been sick of Elves for a long time, actually. :)

I'm just not one of them.

I'm not sick of them. However, I *am* a little afraid that WotC is heading into "elf overkill" in terms of recent Realmslore.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 03:26:43
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

And I don't have the novel with me but I'm sure it was slated to be resettled until the Crusade swung to Myth Drannor

I'm honestly not sure where you are getting this idea--I don't recall reading any such thing in the novels.

Also, my little list of questions was rhetorical--also, there are many more factors that go into resettling of a former ruin (including getting enough people to just up and *settle* there), and I don't think it's going to be as simple and quick as you are making it out to be.
GothicDan Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 02:57:51
A lot of people have been sick of Elves for a long time, actually. :)

I'm just not one of them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000