Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sammaster

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beezy Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 00:42:42
I am currently reading The Rage, book 1 of the Year of the Rogue Dragons. The book has just mention Sammaster as being the creator of the Cult of the dragon and I was hoping to get some more information on the cult itself. I know very little about it really, except the bit about them in Spellfire. Basically I am wondering what they are all about, like do they worship dragons, what are their goals and such things. Also how powerful is/was Sammaster?

I realize the topic is quite broad but any information is appreciated, I am just wondering what the cult is all about in general. I am not sure if they are mentioned in source books and such because I really only read the FR novels.

27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 03:04:43
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I believe the first mention was in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast...

I'm thinking it's in there, too. I've just not had a chance to check, yet.

Yes, it is in there... . It's under the entry "Well of Dragons".
warlockco Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 03:03:11
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

In CoR, the "recent discovery" of the Well of the Dragon by the cult is mentioned with no details.

Is there a recent source that details it ?

I think Lords of Darkness has information relating that that, but not entirely sure.
Skeptic Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 02:35:06
In the Volo's guide / Cult of Dragon, the Well is guarded by the Dire Dragon and the Cult isn't able to take it.

In CoR, it is said that the Cult took it, without any mention of the Dire Dragon..

Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 02:23:21
quote:

I'm thinking it's in there, too. I've just not had a chance to check, yet.
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2005 : 00:19:18
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 17:56:09
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

In CoR, the "recent discovery" of the Well of the Dragon by the cult is mentioned with no details.

Silver Marches, I believe. If not then The North box set.

I just scanned the pdf of The North (available for free on the Wizards downloads page), and found no references to it.

It is mentioned in Cult of the Dragon (also available for free, follow the link above), but there's little real info there. I believe it was first mentioned in one of Volo's Guides, but I don't recall which one. I don't believe there's been any follow-up to this, though.
Kuje Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 17:22:37
quote:

Silver Marches, I believe. If not then The North box set.

Er, actually I think it's in the Cult of the Dragon sourcebook. :)
Kuje Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 17:22:04
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Nope. I don't believe Chosen can become Magister, though, if I remember correctly, a former Magister can become a Chosen. I'd have to double-check Secrets of the Magister (a 2E book) to be sure.

You are indeed correct. A Chosen of Mystra cannot become the Magister but the Magister can become a Chosen after they step out of the office of the Magister.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 17:19:01
Nope. I don't believe Chosen can become Magister, though, if I remember correctly, a former Magister can become a Chosen. I'd have to double-check Secrets of the Magister (a 2E book) to be sure.
Skeptic Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 17:16:26

Beezy Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 16:51:08
Has Elminster ever been the Magister? Just from reading the FR novels it would seem to me that is his Mystra's favorite. But then again a novel and source books I imagine can vary a little and plus there has not been novels about all the chosen so I am just making assumptions here.
The Sage Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 01:35:02
The Magister is, basically, the personal champion of Mystra. They are magic users (only one Magister can exist at a time) selected by Mystra to promote the Art -- through both the tasks they are each directed to perform and their individual mastery of magic -- in the Realms.

More on the individual Magisters and their history can be gleaned from the 2e Secrets of the Magister tome and Magic of Faerun.
Beezy Posted - 29 Dec 2005 : 00:49:15
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

Sammaster is a evil character but is still a chosen of mystra? I only knew of her Chosen that do good for the realms. Does she have any other Chosen that are basically evil? Is this to keep a balance?
From my upcoming Sage's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ:-

Canon Chosen of Mystra

* Elminster Aumar
* Khelben Arunson
* Storm Silverhand
* Laeral Silverhand
* Alustrial Silverhand
* The Simbul
* Sylune Silverhand
* Qilue Veladorn
* Dove Falconhand
* Noumea Drathchuld -- was the previous Magister (before Talatha Vaerovree on Innarlith, who now occupys the position)
* Alvaerele Tasundrym -- held the position of Magister from 576 DR to 592 DR. She is referred to as "the Silent Chosen". Most do not even know that this Magister exists, but her position now is very important as she acts as guardian for those things that Mystra I wishes to remain unknown (this includes knowledge like where the Srinshee is sleeping, as wel as making certain that human, half-elven, and elven family trees are kept recorded and up-to-date)
* Symrustar Auglamyr -- Steven Schend has told us Symrustar is now deceased
* Sammaster -- no longer a Chosen of Mystra (stripped of his Chosen powers in 875 DR [CotD])
* The Srinshee
* Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep
* Nadrathen -- referred to as "the Rebel Chosen" (and is now also deceased)

What is the magister?
Unski Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 09:33:07
quote:

Sammaster is a evil character but is still a chosen of mystra? I only knew of her Chosen that do good for the realms. Does she have any other Chosen that are basically evil? Is this to keep a balance?

So Sammaster is nearly as powerful as Szas Tam the Thayan Necromancer? (sorry if I incorrectly spelled that)

In terms of personal magic, yes, but Sammaster has been out of the loop for so long that Szass Tam holds far more wealth, magical items, servants and others such to put up a good fight.
I haven't read CoR or the Lords of Darkness books, so to my current knowledge Sammaster might not even be around anymore. The Cult of the Dragon sourcebook hints that his phylactery could be somewhere hidden, or that Sammaster might have already evolved into a demilich.

And as for his tittle as a Chosen, Sammaster was corrupted by Bane and attacked lady Alustriel, whom he loved at one point, which resulted in that Azuth took away the Spellfire from Sammaster. Which (if memory serves) killed him and turned him insane and totally evil. Then began his lichhood and the beginning of the Cult.
The Sage Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 09:31:42
quote:

From my upcoming Sage's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ:-

Canon Chosen of Mystra

* Elminster Aumar
* Khelben Arunson
* Storm Silverhand
* Laeral Silverhand
* Alustrial Silverhand
* The Simbul
* Sylune Silverhand
* Qilue Veladorn
* Dove Falconhand
* Noumea Drathchuld -- was the previous Magister (before Talatha Vaerovree on Innarlith, who now occupys the position)
* Alvaerele Tasundrym -- held the position of Magister from 576 DR to 592 DR. She is referred to as "the Silent Chosen". Most do not even know that this Magister exists, but her position now is very important as she acts as guardian for those things that Mystra I wishes to remain unknown (this includes knowledge like where the Srinshee is sleeping, as wel as making certain that human, half-elven, and elven family trees are kept recorded and up-to-date)
* Symrustar Auglamyr -- Steven Schend has told us Symrustar is now deceased
* Sammaster -- no longer a Chosen of Mystra (stripped of his Chosen powers in 875 DR [CotD])
* The Srinshee
* Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep
* Nadrathen -- referred to as "the Rebel Chosen" (and is now also deceased)
trellian Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 08:06:32
Sammaster waschosen of Mystra. In fact, he was the Magister at one point if I'm not mistaken. Sadly, he fell from grace and became the founder of the Cult of Dragon.
Beezy Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 07:23:14

So Sammaster is nearly as powerful as Szas Tam the Thayan Necromancer? (sorry if I incorrectly spelled that)
Beezy Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 07:19:37
Thanks for all the information. I didn't expect to get so many replies so fast, you guys were on the ball with that
warlockco Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 07:02:00
Lords of Darkness has some information too.
Gray Richardson Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 05:45:46
Champions of Ruin has a ton about the Cult of the Dragon, updated to their current doings in the Realms.
Kajehase Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 05:06:17
And a wee bit more in Champions of Valor as well. Edit...Erm...I obviously meant Champions of Ruin, of course.
The Sage Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 04:17:59
There are also several replies from Ed about Sammaster in his 2005 replies:- http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/so_saith_ed.htm
scererar Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 04:09:23
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

there is or was, a free PDF download on the wizards site, pertaining to the cult of the dragon. I burned a copy, but it has been a while though.

Ha! Beat ya and I provided a Link too

Scererar bows to the quicker scribe you got me by 35 seconds
Shadovar Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 04:05:43
Cult of the Dragon information can be found in FR:Lords of Darkness, they are just lunatics who believe undead wyrms like dracoliches will conquer the world and those who helped the undead wyrms to achieve their goals will gain some authority over their fellows(liek lordship over their own people). They worship and venerate evil wyrms, but more towards the undead wyrms which they call them "sacred ones" and treat them almost like gods.

Here is more info: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010328b

Sammaster is considered quite powerful especially now as a lich, once Mystra's Chosen and with power akin to the other Chosen, now he is a "Fallen" Chosen. He is very good at necromancy. Sammaster is male human lich Wiz20/Acm5/Epic5. He is a real pain to deal with.

warlockco Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 03:59:00
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

there is or was, a free PDF download on the wizards site, pertaining to the cult of the dragon. I burned a copy, but it has been a while though.

Ha! Beat ya and I provided a Link too
scererar Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 03:56:58
warlockco Posted - 28 Dec 2005 : 03:56:23
Go here: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Download the Cult of the Dragon pdf, it is a 2E book, but has the most information on the Cult in one location.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000