Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 shugenja
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  15:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
do shugenja really belong in faerun?
why? why not?

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  16:19:07  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of them to exist in Faerun! In Kara-tur maybe...... but Faerun?

So I would say they don't belong there, as they don't fit the setting. Moreover, as being very similar to clerics I see no need for them as Faerun has its share of those and their gods.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  16:33:18  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
faerun is part of the multiverse. anyone from any class should be able to find their way there. planar portals and gates belong in faerun, so why not a specailty caster with cultural ties elsewhere. alot of monsters are extraplanar. do these not belong in faerun?

the more i think about it the sillier it gets

It's not the answer that enlightens
but the question.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  16:42:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirreus

faerun is part of the multiverse. anyone from any class should be able to find their way there. planar portals and gates belong in faerun, so why not a specailty caster with cultural ties elsewhere. alot of monsters are extraplanar. do these not belong in faerun?

the more i think about it the sillier it gets

It's not the answer that enlightens
but the question.

From that point of view i would agree with you. It would mean though that such a character would be an exception, a rarity, an oddity amongst the 'native Faerunians'. Comparable maybe with true celestrials or true outsiders...

However, my argument was that I don't see them as an optional choice to be introduced as a typical character class in the Realms (asI hold similar views to other classes taken from an oriental setting such as the samurai.......)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 26 Sep 2007 16:44:24
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  16:48:05  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i see your point, erg. and no i wouldn't place, all that it would need to support that class, into my faerun.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  17:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they are immigrants from Kara-Tur, then yes. If they are Faerunian born and raised...no.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  20:49:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it would be perfectly exceptable for you to find them in the region of Thesk, because of the heavy Shou population found there.

Also, Shou-Lung has established an embassy with Elversult, and have a portal that leads to the Inner Sea (most likely within the Dragonmere itself). Add in the fact that the GHotR states that they will be migrating to the Vilhon Reach region - I would say that is also a candidate for a Shugenja character.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Sep 2007 20:54:09
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  16:35:06  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
checkout this link http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070918 it seems to answer any problem fitting them in to faerun's culture. hope it helps

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  16:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that was useful, but do they have a book about Kara-tur?

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  18:17:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

that was useful, but do they have a book about Kara-tur?

There was the 1E Oriental Adventures hardcover, and the 2E Kara-Tur boxed set.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000