Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Help bring back the old D&D
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

exorb
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  06:34:16  Show Profile  Visit exorb's Homepage Send exorb a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Help bring back Basic, Expert, Advanced D&D 1 & 2 EDs

Please register at Wizards of the Cost Forms and sign a petition I started to bring back the old rules.
The more posts – the less and less they will be able to ignore it.

It is located in the Out of Print section of the forums:

Quick link: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=769877

Every post helps.
also if you could pos this on any forum you see fit. help spread the word - need hundreds of posts.

TY.

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  06:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t know if this can help you
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  08:07:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid I can't see you being successful in your quest. Online petitions aren't terribly effective, and WotC doesn't have the best record of paying attention to anything beyond how customers spend their money. Not only that, but most people consider 3.x to be a huge improvement over prior versions, and WotC has sunk a lot of money into marketing and maintaining the system.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  09:30:42  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have the old AD&D system continued in Kenzer's Hackmaster, as for the return, altho I'm oldschool I am one of those who considers the new edition vastly superior.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  09:59:04  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started with AD&D '2nd edition and it took a while before I started to play 3'rd edition. First, I didn't like the new rules but after a couple of sessions I began to see the possitive things of the new rules. At this very moment, I prefer 3'rd edition instead of second edition.

The only thing I miss are the premade adventures of second edition. As a game master I make my adventures by myself but sometimes I use premade adventures. If I'm correct, then they are only 3 new Forgotten realms adventures since the start of 3'rd edition.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  17:51:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boddynock

The only thing I miss are the premade adventures of second edition. As a game master I make my adventures by myself but sometimes I use premade adventures. If I'm correct, then they are only 3 new Forgotten realms adventures since the start of 3'rd edition.

Well, WOTC is starting to get back into the premades. FR has a adventure trilogy that starts this year, so that'll make the premades up to 8. You got Into the Dragon’s Lair, Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor, Spider Queen module, Sons of Gruumsh, The Twilight Tomb and then the new trilogy. Plus, there's all those other premades from the core line, which has another 8ish.

However, for awhile WOTC wasn't doing modules because of all the 3rd party modules and modules really don't make as much profit as sourcebooks because modules are usually for DM's and so less of them get bought. But a lot of 3rd party companies stopped making modules, and so WOTC is picking up the slack.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Jan 2007 17:51:31
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  16:56:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I prefer the older editions I don't see this happening, people seem to generally prefer the newer ed. and in any case it would not be the same as things have hanged to much in the last twenty years. Retro is never more than a shadow of the real things and just turning the clock back would not work.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  19:53:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where do people get the idea that online petitions ever work? With very rare exceptions, they don't -- certainly not to change a company's whole approach to a product line.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Not only that, but most people consider 3.x to be a huge improvement over prior versions
I really don't think so; I think most people who play 3E play it mostly because it's the current, newest, in-print game. Rulesets are a matter of different preferences and purposes, not one being objectively better than another.

Edited by - Faraer on 13 Jan 2007 20:14:51
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  05:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd posit 3E is -from an objective standpoint- massively improved/better than previous rules-sets.

But online petitions don't work, either.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  11:05:36  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already signed this petition.
Although I quite like 3.0/3.5 - I still prefer AD&D, it was a much better system IMHO.
Even if they did re-print all the old AD&D stuff, I think most old-style gamers would still buy a lot of 3.5 stuff just to keep up with things (I would definitely buy all 3.5 FR products & many of the core products as well - they usually have a lot of usefull stuff you can convert!)

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  01:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ateth Istarlin

I've already signed this petition.
Although I quite like 3.0/3.5 - I still prefer AD&D, it was a much better system IMHO.
Even if they did re-print all the old AD&D stuff, I think most old-style gamers would still buy a lot of 3.5 stuff just to keep up with things (I would definitely buy all 3.5 FR products & many of the core products as well - they usually have a lot of usefull stuff you can convert!)

Hmmm... I don't know... all the characters of the same class (from a game mechanic perspective) tended to be pretty much alike in AD&D. At that time, I did not even fully realize it beyond the occasional "How to make this fighter different from my previous one?"-type of thoughts.

When D&D 3ed hit the markets, I really understood how much more variance the feats alone could bring into your characters (again, from a purely gamist perspective). Not to mention the multiclassing and Prestige Class -system. I also LOVED the whole unified "D20 for all the major rolls"-theme (skill checks, saving throws, attacks, etc.)

When we were playing AD&D, there were a LOT of house rules, which sometimes changed on a daily basis. And the incorporation of all those Player's Option -books and different Kits felt sometimes overwhelming (and I feel the same with all the Complete Mage/Wizard/Warrior/Old Innkeeper books and the millions and millions of new PrCs in them). It didn't help that each of us in my gaming group (as DMs) used to interpret those optional rules/kits in different ways.

So I feel that D&D has cleared a lot of "fog-of-rules" from the AD&D days, and succeeded in creating a true "pick the best parts to use"-type of gamist rpg system.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  14:17:24  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why in the hells would i want to do that?
and also, why in the hells would anyone think that wotc would *ever* even consider doing that?

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2007 :  02:38:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this was a petition to update and reprint the D&D setting Mystara, the setting that went with the rules you so desperately crave, then I would have no problem signing it. 3e rules are vastly superior to anything that came before, albeit still not 'perfect'. The Mystara setting however, was one of the richest and most fleshed-out settings TSR ever produced, way beyond what they did for Greyhawk. It was SO good, in fact, that little bits and pieces of it keep creeping into FR lore.

Aranea, Avariel, Crysteel, etc...

Even if they brought back the setting in a single CS tome I'd be overjoyed, although that would never begin to cover all its glory.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Feb 2007 02:39:42
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2007 :  07:20:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah the red boxed set, the memories. I wish that it could be my friend, but I highly doubt this type of thing would occur
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  18:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not only that, but most people consider 3.x to be a huge improvement over prior versions...

This will probably be blasphemy, but if we could keep the current set of rules (3.5) and get back to the amount of fluff material we once had in the old 2nd Ed days, I'd be in Forgotten Realms paradise.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  21:07:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

Not only that, but most people consider 3.x to be a huge improvement over prior versions...

This will probably be blasphemy, but if we could keep the current set of rules (3.5) and get back to the amount of fluff material we once had in the old 2nd Ed days, I'd be in Forgotten Realms paradise.

Oh yes! A lot of people want this. I was speaking purely of the rulesets, not the amount of available lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  20:44:00  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by exorb

Help bring back Basic, Expert, Advanced D&D 1 & 2 EDs

Isn't the best way to bring these editions back just to get together with a few friends and play some games using those editions?

WotC is an organisation whose sole interest is making money and I'm sure that the people who are employees of WotC are very grateful for that fact. I think Ardashir says it best, let's not worry about the ruleset but have more content and setting.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  21:10:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Isn't the best way to bring these editions back just to get together with a few friends and play some games using those editions?

Probably. As long as you have the information on how to use the old rulesets, there's nothing stopping you from using them.

Trying to get a company, however, to go back to selling their old products is on the other hand a futile effort, most likely.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  23:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

Oh yes! A lot of people want this. I was speaking purely of the rulesets, not the amount of available lore.

An update for all the stuff that went before...hell yea! Although you can convert most of it easy enough... it's mainly monsters and NPCs.... well the NPCs might take some time

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000