Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 One question about Chosen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amnezjusz
Acolyte

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  11:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone :)

I want to make Chosen of Siamorphe template, which is important to my campaign.

One of my ideas is that I will give Him bonuses to diplomcy and Knowledge(noble) skills...but there is one problem. Official templates don't have such bonuses and here's my questionn: Is there any ban to give such bonuses or is it only instance that Mystra, Bane and Deneir templates don't have such bonuses? Is there any official rule that forbid giving such bonuses?

I hope you understand my question (and yes, I know that my English is horrible :p;)).

Thanks for every answer :)

THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST ME. - Death

http://www.polarzepy.fora.pl - My website.
http://www.dnd.polter.pl - Official Polish D&D site.

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  12:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its just a question about that Mystra, bane and Deneirs chosen doesn't have them ...

but i can't fail to wonder why would would want a Chosen of Siamorphe...

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  13:06:23  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think that you should do what you belive is right,(where you are the dm) its your campaign and you rule it completely, remember the dm has the last word. That is if you are not playing a rules-lawer campaign. =)

P.s
And your english is good enough friend.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  19:27:51  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would a Chosen not be able to get skill boni but (as the Chosen of Mystra) magical abilities/immunities and even up to +10 ability boni?

I would assume a bonus to a skill check a minor compared to any ability increaseof the same number.

So IMO skill boni are totally fine. Of a rule that forbids such boni I know not.

Other than that I hold it as Zimme - you are the DM.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Amnezjusz
Acolyte

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  23:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's all becuase of my friend. He told me that if official templates don't give bonuses to skills and feats, I also can't give such bonuses in my template.

But now after your responses I can tell one thing: I'm a DM and I decide what is good and what is wrong :)

Thanks very much :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  23:38:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amnezjusz

It's all becuase of my friend. He told me that if official templates don't give bonuses to skills and feats, I also can't give such bonuses in my template.

But now after your responses I can tell one thing: I'm a DM and I decide what is good and what is wrong :)

Well, you are the DM. :)

Just because something official says that, and really, we only have 3 converted templates for the Chosens, when there are dozens of Chosens, doesn't mean that the templates can't give bonuses.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  00:19:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Just because something official says that, and really, we only have 3 converted templates for the Chosens, when there are dozens of Chosens, doesn't mean that the templates can't give bonuses.

And the Chosen of Malar, detailed in DUNGEON #129 as I recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  01:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that you should do whatever will provide more depth to your campaign and make the game more fun for your players. You are like Ao, moving the gods and mortals like chess pieces across the "board" that is Faerun. Let only your imagination be your limit and have fun. Nobody is there to tell you that you are wrong if you give an NPC an extra bonus here or there, or even if you decide that you need to fudge a die roll here and there if the campaign takes a nasty turn that you hadn't anticipated. This is a social game and the purpose is for people to enjoy themselves. Sorry - got on a tear there....

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  09:47:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

And the Chosen of Malar, detailed in DUNGEON #129 as I recall.

As we talk about the chosen templates right now anyway: Are they stated like regular templates, i.e. the appendix 3 with templates in MMI or are we talking about the added chosen abilities to the regular character stats of Elmister ect., Fzoul and who else?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 Nov 2006 09:59:04
Go to Top of Page

Amnezjusz
Acolyte

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  11:45:25  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone:)
I also have a question: Is Chosen of Malar template official?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  12:00:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall... Tom Costa said yes -- it's DUNGEON material afterall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  13:37:53  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anything in the Dragon or Dungeon magazine is supposed to be approved by WotC...thus all approved and canon, from what I understood...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  16:24:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

As we talk about the chosen templates right now anyway: Are they stated like regular templates, i.e. the appendix 3 with templates in MMI or are we talking about the added chosen abilities to the regular character stats of Elmister ect., Fzoul and who else?

Both. :) The 3e version, if I recall right, of the Mystra template was a bit vague and missing abilities but it was clarified in 3.5e Waterdeep. However, I'm not happy with it because each Chosen of Mystra has different abilities.

Bane's is in F&P and it looks like a real template. I forgot what Malar's or Deniers looks like.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  16:25:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar

anything in the Dragon or Dungeon magazine is supposed to be approved by WotC...thus all approved and canon, from what I understood...

Not supposedly. It is approved by WOTC and Paizo and WOTC go over the articles/discuss the articles. They've said so repeatedly in both magazines and at Gencon.

Go to Top of Page

Amnezjusz
Acolyte

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  17:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not happy with it because each Chosen of Mystra has different abilities.

You are talking about Laeral's Name and Song Attunement chosen ability, am I right?
quote:
I forgot what Malar's or Deniers looks like.

Chosen of Deneir is here: http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_deneir

Edited by - Amnezjusz on 09 Nov 2006 17:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  18:07:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are talking about Laeral's Name and Song Attunement chosen ability, am I right?

Partly, but even in 2e each Chosen of Mystra had different abilities, which the template for 3/3.5e really doesn't show. :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000