Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Does anybody know...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eluril
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  19:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Eluril's Homepage Send Eluril a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
...of anywhere in the UK where I can find a new copy of "Thornhold" by Elaine Cunningham,from the Songs & Swords series? I've checked on Amazon.co.uk,Waterstones & a few other places,but nowhere seems to have it!
I've also checked on the US Amazon.com,but they don't stock it either! Is the book discontinued or something? The rest of the series is available!!!

Edited by - Eluril on 10 Oct 2006 19:08:01

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  19:24:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eluril

...of anywhere in the UK where I can find a new copy of "Thornhold" by Elaine Cunningham,from the Songs & Swords series? I've checked on Amazon.co.uk,Waterstones & a few other places,but nowhere seems to have it!
I've also checked on the US Amazon.com, but they don't stock it either! Is the book discontinued or something? The rest of the series is available!!!

The book has not been declared out of print, but it appears to be out of stock. Yes, I know--there really isn't much practical difference between the two, at least not where readers and writers are concerned.

WotC will probably print up some copies of Thornhold when the sixth and final book of the Songs & Swords series is released in early 2008. I wish I could suggest a better solution, but I don't have a single copy (other than my reference copy) of the book; I've sent them all to readers who couldn't find the book elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  20:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep checking eBay is about all I can offer.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  21:12:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try nobleknight.com. Well never mind, he doesn't have a copy either.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Oct 2006 21:14:17
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  01:19:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eluril

I've also checked on the US Amazon.com,but they don't stock it either! Is the book discontinued or something? The rest of the series is available!!!

Strangely, there are still copies available of Thornhold in many online AUS bookstores.

As well, I've also seen a copy pop up on Dragontrove occasionally. I suggest you keep an eye out on there as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  01:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough, ive got the same problem. I saw Thornhold come up recently on Ebay (couple of weeks back) and got promptly snapped up.

Ive seen a few on Amazon.co.uk, actually. Although they are ones that get shipped in from America. So, if you dont mind spending £30 on a Paperback..
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  13:04:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Oddly enough, ive got the same problem. I saw Thornhold come up recently on Ebay (couple of weeks back) and got promptly snapped up.

Ive seen a few on Amazon.co.uk, actually. Although they are ones that get shipped in from America. So, if you dont mind spending £30 on a Paperback..

I'm sorry, but that's too much to spend on a paperback novel. And I wrote the thing.

As much as I dislike suggesting this sort of thing, it might be a good idea to write to WotC and ask when the book will be reprinted. I've received dozens of emails from people who can't find the book, and sent copies to quite a few of them. As an experiment, I put a few copies up for sale on Amazon.com on two or three occasions, and each time they were gone within a day or two. That would suggest that there's a demand. The publisher won't know about it, however, unless they HEAR about it. There are so many books to choose from that most people who can't find a particular book shrug and move on. Perhaps registering interest in this book by sending a note would be a good idea.

I would not suggest this if I thought WotC was deliberately letting the book go OOP. There's another book in this series currently in progress, which leads me to believe that they plan to print up more copies of the first five sooner or later.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  14:11:34  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm, that £30 pricetag is why ive held off getting it, despite it being the only book of yours I dont own, Elaine. >.<

Whats the address to write to WOTC?
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  15:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Wayland's Forge in Birmingham. I know that I saw it last time I was in Birmingham, and that's the likeliest place. Though I went in a couple of second hand bookshops, so it might have been one of those.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  17:33:26  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
What's the address to write to WOTC?

Wizards of the Coast
ATTENTION: Customer Service
1600 Lind Avenue SW, Suite 400
Renton, WA 98055

Go to Top of Page

Eluril
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  17:55:18  Show Profile  Visit Eluril's Homepage Send Eluril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help everyone,I'll get onto WotC and see what they say! In the meantime,I'll keep my eye out and see if it pops up anywhere else!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  18:13:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked on the net and here's a few places that are selling them.

Abebooks.com has a few from 8 to 50+ american. Do a search for thornhold or elaine's name or both.

Half.com has some for almost 9 to 40 american. Link is:

http://product.half.ebay.com/Thornhold_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ1089947

And bookfinder.com has them new to used from 8.50 to 50+ american, but it lists some overseas shops also.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Oct 2006 18:13:54
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  18:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is Thornhold really that rare? I'll have to look around for some more copies...I'd be happy to get soem for others if I found some

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  22:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good call, Kuje - abebooks.com is a useful resource, I know a couple of people who swear by it, and was originally pointed in its direction after a writer (can't remember who) was praising it in an interview.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  22:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elaine. (For that, and all the wonderful books too. )

Time to write a letter while looking for a copy.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  22:45:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Good call, Kuje - abebooks.com is a useful resource, I know a couple of people who swear by it, and was originally pointed in its direction after a writer (can't remember who) was praising it in an interview.

Aye,

I've had those sites bookmarked off and on when I can remember to keep them after a HD death/change. :)

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  01:07:33  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Success! Just got a copy from Ebay. (Had to dig around the international sellers a whole lot though. Found a copy in Germany for a semi-decent price)

Perhaps if lots of us sent letters to WOTC asking for a reprint of the Songs and Swords books? And one from Candlekeep as a whole, maybe?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  13:12:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Success! Just got a copy from Ebay. (Had to dig around the international sellers a whole lot though. Found a copy in Germany for a semi-decent price)

Perhaps if lots of us sent letters to WOTC asking for a reprint of the Songs and Swords books? And one from Candlekeep as a whole, maybe?

Not sure it would help, but it's worth a try.

It's frustrating to read of people who want a book and can't get it--or have to pay ridiculous prices for it--because I feel as if I should be doing more to accomodate them. Other than emailing the manuscript file, however, I'm out of options. I've dug through all my boxes of author copies and additional purchased copies, and I'm fairly certain that I only have two copies of THORNHOLD in the house, both of which have been read. If the book is reprinted, I'll have to get a couple of copies myself, so I can give them to my hypothetical grandchildren some day and say, "This is what I was doing when your daddy was little. That should explain a few things."
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  00:51:59  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not exactly sure how you can do anything about that, it seems llike its out of your hands. Of course, I read the the book when it was first released. Do you ever think about revisiting those characters?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  01:42:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I'm not exactly sure how you can do anything about that, it seems llike its out of your hands. Of course, I read the the book when it was first released. Do you ever think about revisiting those characters?

There's a new short story (actually, at 11,000 words, it's on the long side for short stories...) in the upcoming "best of ec" anthology that picks up a few threads from Thornhold. The title is "The Knights of Samular."
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  00:26:10  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a UK chain of RPG shops called "The Travelling Man". They have stores in Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle, York, and I may be missing something... You could also order through the website, go to www.travgellingman.com
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  11:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwizard

There's a UK chain of RPG shops called "The Travelling Man". They have stores in Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Newcastle, York, and I may be missing something... You could also order through the website, go to www.travgellingman.com

Well met

Indeed, 'tis my trusted source here in the UK (Nottingham is my local) and they always have products for the release date

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  14:56:08  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

There's a new short story (actually, at 11,000 words, it's on the long side for short stories...) in the upcoming "best of ec" anthology that picks up a few threads from Thornhold. The title is "The Knights of Samular."

sold.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Lysan Lurraxol
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  10:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Lysan Lurraxol's Homepage Send Lysan Lurraxol a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohhh. That shop doesn't have a branch in Liverpool.
It is horrible trying to get a FR book in the UK, Waterstones normally stocks about four, Forbidden Planet used to be good, but there seem to be a lot less now.
Don't talk to me about Amazon.co.uk. I had to wait twelve weeks for Shadowdale, Tantras and Waterdeep. AND only Shadowdale came. Grrr
And I ordered another book in June. It's now October and I still don't have it.
You're best bet is that shop Alaundo and Reefy? mentioned or eBay.

http://lysan.livejournal.com
"Come join me in the dark..."
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  14:29:59  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if memory serves, if you take a train (preferably the Transpennine Express) from Liverpool Lime Street train station, you'll be in Manchester Piccadilly in about an hour. The Travelling Man in Manchester is really close to that station (Dale street I think - I'm too lazy to check it now :-p). So, next time you go for a pint with some friends, suggest a "modest change of locale".
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2006 :  14:27:02  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Victory!!

Finally got Thornhold delivered today. Started reading it already.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000