Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Splitting hairs... again
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  10:26:07  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While reading Monsters of Faerūn and Lords of Darkness I stumbled across a spelling 'mistake'... at least I think it is a mistake.

I always thought the plural of phaerimm is phaerimm and not phaerimms...

Which on is correct?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  13:52:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2e sources identify more than one phaerimm as just "phaerimm". Whereas in 3e references, "phaerimms" seems to be a common occurence.

I'd say they're both correct, since both are in common usage in all editions of FR. As a rule, just keep the reference you're happy with.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Apr 2006 13:54:01
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The creators of the 2001 FRCS decided to simplify language and terminology, including regularizing all plurals.

The 's' is correct by the letter of the 3E Realms, but I prefer to see that as just a simplifying 3E lens, and indeed it's not unlikely that a later editorial policy will reinstate the underlying Realms' authentic plurals, just as 'Zhentilar' made its return in Power of Faerūn after being edged out in prior 3E books.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  17:02:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Faraer said,

They did the same to drow and now it's drows. Argh. :) It's drow. End of story.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000