Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Time Zones
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  10:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We know that Faerun has time zones (mentioned in many novels when they teleport, most recently I think Farthest Reach/Forsaken House).

I was wondering if anyone knows how far out these time zones are spread, and also other things we may take for granted (e.g. assuming there are 24 hours in a day? That the sun rises in the east?)

Many Thanks :)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  11:10:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing is, using time zones implies both accurate timekeeping and travel that is both regular and fast enough for it to matter. Considering that most time is measured simply, like "5 bells after highsun", there's no real need -- currently -- for designated time zones.

And because I have it handy, here's Ed's words on keeping time in the Realms:

quote:
Time in the Realms is NEVER measured in “hours” or “minutes.” Short-term waits can be measured in “breaths” but in cities, temples, and monasteries, the equivalent of hours are so many “bells” (yes, a bell is rung) or “candles” (which do visibly burn down) from or to a measurable event, such as dawn/daybreak, dusk/nightfall, or noon (in the Realms, noon is “highsun”). Example: The tumult began three bells before nightfall.
“Midnight” is permissible usage, and “deepnight” is its ‘more Realmsian’ synonym.
When timing is important, Realms writers should work a reference to how many bells are struck in a day (“It was the task of Brother Blackhands to strike half of the twelve bells between dusk and dawn, with Sister Elphrana tolling the bells between—and another pair of the Devout handled the twelve bells of the bright hours.”) into the narrative to make it clear that a “bell” IS “an hour.”

In Tashluta and the Tashalar, Tharsult, and in some ports nearby, a “bell” (an hour) is called a “darmeth,” with the plural (hours) being “darmar.” As in: “It’ll be at least three darmar before he gets back.” or: “But that could take DARMAR, hrast it!” This usage seems to be spreading south.

In like manner, days in the realms are never referred to as “Monday,” “Tuesday,” or any real-world ‘weekday’ name. Most folk in the Realms refer to a particular day as thus far from “the first of Mirtul” or “the last of Eleint” or one of the annual festival days, or if they must be precise, will say something like “the first day of the first tenday of Ches.” If they were writing this date or speaking of it formally, it would become “1st Ches.”

Where we would say “a moment or two,” most humans in the Realms say “a breath or two”—and what we would call a minute is “a goodly breath or three.”
Dwarves tend to call the same span of time (actually, anything up to about three minutes) “but a little while,” whereas a halfling would call the same span of time “a long song.” To a halfling, a minute is “a tune,” and 10 minutes is “three long songs.” Most halflings tend to speak of longer time periods, within a day, in terms of how much the sun has progressed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  13:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Kaladorm is asking for the purposes of determining what the difference would be, roughly, if someone teleported from Shadowdale at highsun to Waterdeep. Exactly what would be the difference in “time zone”. It is a well known fact that powerful wizards teleport across the face of Faerun with the intention of ordering off the breakfast menu at any time of day.

:p

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  17:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jindaels got it spot on there :)
Also, the majority may not measure time accurately (in the same way your average person might not care the exact number of photons his light bulb emits per second) but given there are at least some accurate (to a degree) timekeeping devices out there in the realms, I find it hard to believe that no scribes have ever plotted something close to a timezone chart, or at least a guide saying if you go from here to here leaving at highsun, it will be 5 bells to highsun when you arrive.

My main reason for asking was that wizards would notice the difference more acutely (and possibly be able to plot it better). Even if no one 'in' the realms has plotted it, surely there must be someone 'out' of the realms (that scary place called real life) that would have done it?

Just my thought
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  18:06:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Ed has said that Toril has almost the same rotation and axis tilt of Earth, I'd just use Earths. :)

Course, he probably has such things detailed but they have never really been printed.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  06:50:38  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I expect that he may just have that information somewhere!

As a possible assistance in determining it for yourself - I remember seeing in the last week or so - a map in one of the FR books that had the US at the top - and below it (I assume in the same scale - or what would the point be?) was the main parts of Faerun.

From this depiction - you could come uyp with suitable 'time zones' based on where they are in the US. Since - as I reacll - the Faerun map was larger - I'd suggest just 'sliding' the US one way or the other to create 'additional' zones to the left/right.

Hope that helps.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  15:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The maths is easy enough if we can assume a consistent 1440 minute day (24 hours of 60 minutes). Each degree of longitude is equal to a 4 minute change in the time, so 15 degrees is equivalent to a one hour change. At the equator, 1 degree of longitude is equal to the equatorial circumference divided by 360. At a higher latitude, each degree is equal to that equatorial distance multiplied by the sine of the latitude.

For Earth, you get 69 miles at the equator, and 49 miles at 45° North, for each degree of longitude. For a one hour time difference at 45N, travel 735 miles. While axial tilt is significant for determining things like time of sunrise and length of day, it doesn't make any difference when you work with time zones.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  21:27:14  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.candlekeep.com/fr_faq.htm#_Toc16090521
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  22:03:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GungHo

Ah ha, so as I said axis tilt does factor in. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  00:25:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by GungHo

Ah ha, so as I said axis tilt does factor in. :)

Yes... and I'm updating that with Ed's actual comments about Toril having almost the same axis and rotation as Earth's in my FR FAQ for Candlekeep .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 Mar 2006 00:26:12
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  00:41:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should be noted that axis tilt does not effect time zones except in rare occasions of ribbon worlds. Even such a world might develop zones of another kind. Tilt only effects seasons, length of daylight and night time each day.

Edited a typo, however decided to expand as well.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 04 Jan 2013 23:51:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  23:02:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find the thread where someone asked me for this, but this one will do.

NEW VERSION: Toril's Timezones

Its a little rough, but it will serve its purpose. I arbitrarily made the Prime meridian go through Waterdeep, just because I can. I also decided to get a little poetic with the names for the tropics and arctic circle (but those names are derived from canon).

EDIT: Ack! I was in such a rush I forgot to put the degrees along the two sides!

EDIT2: Fixed

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jan 2013 18:07:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  01:33:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know whats funny? I have a map of the world just above and behind my monitor, and I am sitting here and staring at the two maps for a comparison.

Waterdeeps got about the same weather as NYC, and Neverwinter the same as Boston. Cormyr has the same climate as Virginia. So far so good...

Ten Tens is warmer then Paris? REALLY? I think RAS needs to edit some novels. LOL

And BTW, I actually use the precise map from both the 3e FRCG and the FRIA, and didn't account for the slightly larger size of Toril. If anything, the planet should be smaller then Earth. Had I added all the extra 'empty ocean' in-between Osee and Katashaka like I should have, it would condensed the north and south parts of the map even further toward the middle (making 'The North much warmer, and Chult much cooler) I did this, which the same as earth, and the Equator fell out precisely where it should according to the FAQ & L-list. Note that the lattitudes should go to 90° - had I shown the full world map (with all that empty space) you would get a real idea of how much less-spread out Toril's continents are - FR has no Greenland equivalent. Nearly all the land falls out within the 'habitable' zone.

That island above Anchorome' falls out where Alaska is - most of FR-proper is downright hospitable. Chult, most of Zkahara, Kara-Tur, and Osse, nearly all of Maztica, and half of Katashaka fall out in 'the tropics'. That sounds about right.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jan 2013 01:38:37
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  04:30:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting indeed as if currents work the same way there as here it does not appear to add up. West Coasts to North should be more like Oregon or California I would expect. Though different land and ocean/sea size clearly could effect water currents.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  15:20:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a thought.... do we have any definitive information stating that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west on Toril?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  16:05:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the assumption was always there (the same rotation as Earth), but I am not sure its been explicitly stated. Some author, at some point, must have had his hero "ride off into the sunset/west". That info may be in Realmspace.

I am sure you are thinking about the weather patterns. As I was studying both maps last night (RW and FR) I noted a lot of weirdness with Earth itself. I never realized just how far north Europe is compared to the US - our climate is much colder along the same latitudes, so I assume in FR, weather amounts for a LOT of that weirdness as well.

And there is 'the gods', magic, and other stuff RW doesn't have.

Sossal isn't nearly as cold/north as I thought it would be - they should have about the same climate as the Ukraine (which sounds correct on all fronts).

EDIT: Just looked at Kentinel's last comment. The Trackless sea slowly rotates in a clockwise motion* (see the maps in the Maztica box). Warm winds, however, blow across the Shining South from Zakhara, and toward the shining Sea. Other winds blow from the Katashaka coast up toward Faerűn, blowing in a N-Easterly direction all along the Sword Coast (in opposition to the sluggish ocean current). That means you have two different 'weather fronts' meeting somewhere around Calimshan - the Nelanther and Shining Sea must be a nightmare of unpredictable weather to travel through (which makes it even more Caribbean-esque for our pirates). The Great (southern) sea is also known for is hurricanes and unpredictable weather, so that means that NE wind coming from the direction of Katashaka is coming into conflict with the winds from the Segara sea (next to Zakhara and below Kara-Tur). If anything, a lot of the FR weather-patterns seem to be close to a mirror-image of ours (in some ways).

*The cool thing about that old lore is that it puts Evermeet at the center of immense, very slow-churning whirlpool. I don't know if that was intentional, but it is interesting as all-hell.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jan 2013 16:24:47
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  16:58:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Waterdeep weather from the Realms-L

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0404C&L=REALMS-L&P=R6121&I=-3

And lastly, regarding weather, and Waterdeep as
Seattle:
please remember that the dampness of the west
coast of the American continent has a lot to do with
winds blowing onshore that have picked up a lot of
moisture from the Pacific, reaching an unbroken
western mountain range, rising because the rocks force
the winds to, and therefore dumping that moisture
(good old "orographic rainfall," for those who taught
climatology in certain decades). Waterdeep shelters
behind a mountain that some would charitably call "a
large rock," and it's the southernmost of a tiny clump
of mountains (not enough to cause a general weather
pattern, when winds can so easily blow around them and
through the gaps between them -- unlike the Rockies,
where there are ranks and ranks of mountains beyond
every gap). Waterdeep gets ice-cold and snowy in
winter, but can be uncomfortably warm in summer
(somewhat akin to southern Ontario, where I live, by a
strange coincidence).
We know that its proximity to a large ocean will bring
it both dampness and some moderation of temperatures
(whereas interior areas will have more severe extremes
of temperature), but I'd be cautious of assuming much
else.
I'd say more, but I MUST get this current novel done,
so . . . enjoy the Realms, everyone.
Ed

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  16:59:48  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tom Rinschler on latitude

> > The one unequivical statement about latitudes in a FR product is from page 79 of the FRCS: "Waterdeep lies slightly above the 45 degree north latitude line on Toril."

It has long been assumed that one line on a map in Faiths & Avatars is Toril's equator, although it isn't stated as such in the text. This line runs several hundred miles to the south of Halruaa and Nimbral, so in all probablity Halruaa is around 15 degrees north....

Tom Rinschler

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  17:18:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then the info on the Equator is wrong.

If I adjust the map the equtor moves, and it invalidates other things (I assume the FRIA is canon?) I could 'expand' the continents slightly to make it work - I had tried that, but the problem was the map became to big for the gird (I lost about half of Osse). If I expand the grid to compensate, we are back to square one.

Unless Toril is more of a 'flattened' ball, with a much larger equatorial diameter then a polar one, things just don't workout. I could add more lines to the grid, but then Toril would have a 25-26 hour day. No single solution solves every problem.

And looking again, that would put most of the known continents (even Osse and Katashaka) in the northern hemisphere! Once again, we are left with far too much room off the bottom edge of the map. Let me see what that would look like....

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jan 2013 18:30:12
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  17:23:35  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing you need to take into account is Selune and the Tears, they will have a massive impact on tidal forces which will have a major influence on the Coriolis effect and make for wildly different weather patterns. So I don't think transcribing earth weather patterns on to Toril would work.

We all know temperatures can be wildly different even at similar latitudes in the real world thanks to tidal forces, but without Torilian weather data, we have no clue what impact the very different tidal forces would have on Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  17:38:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Just looked at Kentinel's last comment.

I feel so loved. *Wink*

Well mapping a globe in two dimensions can always cause a problem. Also it clearly can be possible that official maps (always subject to change by new Edition) may not have had continuity editor to make sure the lands where on the correct placement on a world map.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  17:52:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

One thing you need to take into account is Selune and the Tears, they will have a massive impact on tidal forces which will have a major influence on the Coriolis effect and make for wildly different weather patterns. So I don't think transcribing earth weather patterns on to Toril would work.

We all know temperatures can be wildly different even at similar latitudes in the real world thanks to tidal forces, but without Torilian weather data, we have no clue what impact the very different tidal forces would have on Toril.

Well indeed more objects in obit clearly can effect the tides. There however appears to be little indication that Coriolis effect is effected by the moon.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  18:14:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW... talk about your useless disagreements (were we disagreeing? I'm not even sure anymore).

I just cleaned-up the map. The big problem was me not only using the very basic map from the 3e FRCS, BUT I also used someone else's outline of all that (because mine got 'shrunk in the wash').

Now that I used the FRIA maps to redefine the Western heartlands, we can see that the descrepancies were caused by the piss-poor map outlines, Everything is PERFECT, and always was - Waterdeep was just incorrectly marked because of the bad reference points I had to go by. Without me changing a damned thing on my map (aside from placing a cleaner outline), Waterdeep falls out PRECISELY at 45 degrees at it should be ("slightly above", actually).

NEW Timeline Map

I feel all 'justified' and s... stuff. I'm going to go eat a victory bagel now. I may even cut up some 'celebratory' olives to put on it.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jan 2013 18:16:53
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  18:22:57  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not believe we disagreed about anything with the one possibility of what weather pattern might be because of currents. Even that was not a disagreement, in my view, just a discussion.

BTW nice map.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  19:09:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You.

And just for the helluva it... Superimposed

I couldn't get the two grids to match-up perfectly, even when I strech things (on the Earth map). It seems every map uses slightly different proportions between the latitude lines (either that, or I need to stop picking-up free grids on the internet... you never know where those things have been...)

This is just a WIP (because now its become another mental exercise) - I either need to disect the Earth map into 'latitude slices' and stretch each independently, or have to create my own outline of the continents (which I SHOULD HAVE DONE right from the beginning!) and reshape that to conform to the Earth map. Greenland should be practically cut in half (and off the top edge of that map).

Will be back in a few hours...

EDIT: I lied
Turns out their are various different official projections (how confusing is THAT?), and I was using a Mercator projection over a standard projection. Sometimes you learn far more then you intended (or wanted) to. While this means I should be able to just overlay an Earth Mercator-projection Map onto Toril and have all the lines lineup perfectly, it also means that I had several different choices of projections to begin with, which would indeed make all the lines fall out completely differently. Since we have no idea what projection ANY of the official maps are, thats a bit of a problem.

However, using the Mercator as I did, we see that the latitudes for Waterdeep and the Equator did indeed fall out precisely as they should, so I should probably just stick with that and stop trying to over-think things.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jan 2013 19:24:17
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  22:18:15  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You know whats funny? I have a map of the world just above and behind my monitor, and I am sitting here and staring at the two maps for a comparison.

Waterdeeps got about the same weather as NYC, and Neverwinter the same as Boston. Cormyr has the same climate as Virginia. So far so good...

Ten Tens is warmer then Paris? REALLY? I think RAS needs to edit some novels. LOL

And BTW, I actually use the precise map from both the 3e FRCG and the FRIA, and didn't account for the slightly larger size of Toril. If anything, the planet should be smaller then Earth. Had I added all the extra 'empty ocean' in-between Osee and Katashaka like I should have, it would condensed the north and south parts of the map even further toward the middle (making 'The North much warmer, and Chult much cooler) I did this, which the same as earth, and the Equator fell out precisely where it should according to the FAQ & L-list. Note that the lattitudes should go to 90° - had I shown the full world map (with all that empty space) you would get a real idea of how much less-spread out Toril's continents are - FR has no Greenland equivalent. Nearly all the land falls out within the 'habitable' zone.

That island above Anchorome' falls out where Alaska is - most of FR-proper is downright hospitable. Chult, most of Zkahara, Kara-Tur, and Osse, nearly all of Maztica, and half of Katashaka fall out in 'the tropics'. That sounds about right.

I thought Toril was smaller, it was discussed with Ed before about the size of the planet. It was a few years ago I think.

I'll see if I can find it again or if I copied it down to a file already.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  22:24:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I use the 'satellite view' of Toril (buried in the FRIA map files) I note some differences between that and other maps, and I am using them to make 'corrections'. Anyhow, when I try to paste the whole thing over my current version, I loose at least an inch of ocean between Osse and Anchorme'/Katashaka. I don't think it is correctable, however, without raising the entirety of the known map further north (thus moving the equator once-again). I'll have to think about that.

You should see the new outlines I've done... SWEEEEEEEET.

(Hopefully I'll have those ready tonight)

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  22:26:00  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, i was mistaken, ed says bigger

quote:
December 31, 2004: Hello, all. Hereafter, Ed's reply to Jerryd:
Jerry, I've perused your full globe-of-Toril construal from the Realms-list, and here's my take on it.
Like our real Earth, Toril is an oblate spheroid rotating in the same direction as Earth does, around a tilted axis (as Earth has). Its distance from its sun is unknown, being roughly equivalent to that of real-world Earth (but affording some "wiggle room" to adjust climate and to a small extent gravity). It's clear that the Heartlands of Faerun are SLIGHTLY warmer (higher temperature, longer growing season) than real-world Earth regions of the same latitude, but get a trifle colder in winter than real-world locales of the same latitude. In effect, discounting altitude- and wind-current-related factors, this is roughly equivalent to winter temperatures on Toril being about 5 degrees of latitude cooler than on Earth. In other words, Waterdeep at a little north of the 45th parallel on Toril averages the same winter-cold as does a Manitoba, Canada timberlands locale a little north of the real-world Earth's 50th parallel (though like any large city burning wood and peat and dung for warmth and cooking and industry, crowding people and livestock together, casting minor warming magics, and taking up slightly-warmer-than-winter air from Skullport and the Underdark depths, actual Waterdhavian street temperatures, when one escapes wind chill, can well be higher).

The D&D rules postulate an environment as least as rich in heavy metals as our real world, so Toril must be as dense as our real world. It's clear from any close examination of my original maps, the Fonstad FR Atlas, and the ProFantasy Interactive Atlas, that Toril is larger than Earth. TSR designers over the years have estimated anything from ten to fifteen percent larger, and I corrected some of them (discovering along the way that map projections seemed to be a subject neglected in the early grades of some American schools) to show that they were correct in seeing about a five percent 'window' in size, but that the bottom figure couldn't be less than 12 percent. We settled on official agreement at twelve percent at a design meeting at the TSR offices after I pointed out that a larger Toril, given similar densities, has increased surface gravity and therefore the "Barsoom factor" (Hey, I'm a strongman! Watch me bend iron bars with my little fingers!) comes into play. That was something we largely wanted to avoid, as it affects not just musculature and body strength, but trajectories and therefore weaponry and spell effects and yadda yadda. :} So 12 it is.
You came up with 14, which considering the slightly wonky maps in the Interactive Atlas, isn't bad.
There is a way of putting a tiny 'wiggle room' in the density/metals problem, too, which is to have celestial-body calamities (asteroid/planetoid impacts) and plate tectonics shift more heavy metals near the surface in Faerun than are to be found elsewhere on Toril (hence some of the in-print, metal-avoiding daily construction materials and weaponry of Kara-Tur). This in turn can cause axial wobble and will tend to be 'smoothed and evened out' over the long run, but a thousand years of Realms game time is still but a passing geological moment.
And yes, you can see from my comments here that I stand with the stated-in-print Waterdhavian latitude, so I'd follow the second suggestion in your article (to correct all the locations, rather than to ignore the difference in calculations that left Waterdeep 12 minutes south of the 45th parallel rather than about the same distance north of it).
Placing Toril a trifle closer to its sun than Earth is to the real Sun gives us our warmer climes, and postulating a greater axial tilt than real Earth gives us our swings to and from severe winter at extremes of latitude. Some climate jiggering must take place to avoid howling, all-scouring and fairly constant winds in places, but we already know that such jiggering is taking place, in-game, because of the great southern reach of the Inner Sea North glaciers (a secret that was in the Realms from the first, and made official in the internal-TSR-publication-only "Realms Bible" I wrote years ago, but only officially revealed to the wider gaming public in the 3e Epic Level Handbook: Iyraclea in Appendix 1), and because of my carefully-planted lore about the Phaerimm magically monkeying with the climate (hence the spread of Anauroch).
The slightly smaller size (12 versus 14) leads to a slightly smaller axial tilt than you arrived at, but by and large, your calculations are just fine, and you came to the same conclusions as the TSR designers did when they accepted my presentation all those years ago. Which makes the most valuable part of your article (the "What time is it in Waterdeep when it's such-and-such a time in Suzail?" and the hours of daylight bits) perfectly valid and very useful to all. Thanks, Jerry!

and a little 'back story' Realmslore snuck in about the two competing methods of seaborne location (the elder meridian was through the highest peak on Tharsult, and the newer competing one through Mintarn).

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  22:30:04  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
December 31, 2004: Jerryd, I tossed your most recent post in the direction of Ed's inbox, and just received this quick response:

Fair enough. So (bearing in mind that I can't speak officially for Wizards), we're agreed on Toril having a 12 percent larger diameter than Earth (therefore 8,880 miles or 14,280 km). I vote for the same gravity as Earth, so Toril must be about 90% as dense as Earth. I can live with that (as you say, we can assume divine tinkering with the availability of metals).
Adjust the latitude of all base calculations by 1.009, and I agree with your personal choice of 8.1 daylight Midwinter hours for Silverymoon and the axial tilt that results (28°53').
And I may just take you up on that offer of running calculations! I must admit that in running the Realms, I've just used the "mental map" comparison of the continental United States silhouette Jeff Grubb put into the Old Gray Box versus the Sword Coast Heartlands, and applied the (politically distorted) time zone differential, because I "know without thinking" how many hours "behind" TSR in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, and WotC in Renton, Washington, were from me in Ontario, Canada, and most of the portal jumps or teleports in the 'home' Realms have either been relatively short (from point to point within the Dales or within Cormyr, for instance), or between Cormyr or the Dales and Waterdeep or its immediate environs (often atop Maiden's Tomb Tor).
So saith Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  01:08:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, I've seen that. I've also seen official statements that it was the same size, and also that its a little smaller. I had done all the math once before in some other thread around here. No part of Faerűn-proper is high enough North (or south for that matter) to experience the 'six months of night' that has often been assumed for regions like Icewind Dale and Sossal.

I will be able to figure-out which is the most correct once I plug all the canon data into my model (since I have a full world map, and have distance scales for Faerűn to go by).

I've also adjusted the Prime Meridian to go through Myyth Drannor instead (since Torilians aren't on a '24 hour clock' anyway, it really doesn't matter where I put it) of Waterdeep now. The continents line-up better with the underlying Earth map (for comparisons).

Now I just have to find the info on Ed's Anchoromé again so I can place the last few islands, and it should be complete (the outlines, at least).

*As in, "other then actual statements concerning the planet's size".

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jan 2013 01:09:43
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  01:28:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far a the Prime Meridian goes it certainly can be anywhere, that is not a problem at all. Longitude however matters as far as the realms go even if no use of hours. Some places are daylight and some places are night. Of course the seasons matter because of axis tilt as well as to length of day light or night on a given day.

Oh you should always remember that 360 degrees and 24 hours is a real world construct. It clearly could have decided that there would be 30 hours per day or 10 hours a day, those that developed system choose 24 hours. The 360 degrees as opposed to another number likely came from circle numbers. The 360 in great part was because how well it divides into sections, dividable by primes of 2,3,5. If they wanted better the degrees would also be dividable by 7 *Grin* without a remainder.

That said of course it makes sense to use 360 degrees because it is easier for players to understand time zones.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000