Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 What would you be willing to buy a remake of?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  01:16:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondering . . . if 3.5 is around for several more years (I hope and pray), they may actually start to remake some 3.0 things that were "good enough" when 3.5 first came out. If they do this, what books would you actually be willing to rebuy, and what would have to be in them for you to do this?

Of hand, I would by a 3.5 Manual of the Planes that included the FR, GH, and Eberron cosmologies to show examples of them, and especially if it had sidebars on how to explain if you wish to use the Core cosmology, or wish to make planes appear to work one way, when they work another (i.e. why Primes may thing that the Great Tree is the way it is, if you want to use the notion of it but the Great Wheel cosmology).

I would also like to see a 3.5 Deities and Demigods that actually incorporates epic level rules in it, now that they are partially included in the DMG and are part of the SRD.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  01:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, nothing needs to be remade-Manual of the Planes is still largely usable, Deities and Demigods is as usable as when it came out(meaning half the book is usable), and most everything else has received the proper rules clarifications. I would like to see a new definition for an artifact, though, as that's quite conflicted right now.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  02:40:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree . . . a 3.5 Book of Artifacts would be a good thing. BTW, have you seen the Advance Gamemaster's Guide from Green Ronin? They have an epic level feat that lets you make ONE artifact, after which, that particular feat is useless, and you would have to have another feat to make another artifact. There are (obviously) other rules involved, but I just thought of this when I was about to say something about a 3.5 Book of Artifacts having explanations of creating artifacts (and something to deliniate them from epic level magic items).
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  02:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 3.5 artifacts book would be pretty cool, and I think there would be a market for it. I just don't think it seems to tally particularly with the sort of products WOTC is currently releasing.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2006 :  11:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

A 3.5 artifacts book would be pretty cool, and I think there would be a market for it. I just don't think it seems to tally particularly with the sort of products WOTC is currently releasing.

The sort of products being.
Book 1. New race Options number 456
Book 2. New base class options, now you too can be a chicken-wielding fanatic of a dead god, who has to hoot like an owl for 5 minutes to learn new spells. Also includes many other new prestige classes, making it even easier to roleplay a character with self identity issues.
Book 3. The book of feats, where we take old core feats, rename them, and then make them a lot better, with no disadvantages, hurray for you, now you can solo monsters 3 CRs above you.

I hold no illusions after reading Unearthed Arcana (and the torrent of books that have come after it).

One prime example is a wizard spell from Complete Adventurer. It does 'exactly' the same as a Core 3.5 spell, but has a different name and is a 2nd not 3rd level spell. Hmmph they've got so many books they don't even remember what they've published before
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2006 :  11:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and back on track after that :)

edit: duh faiths and pantheons is realms, not core

I'd probably get Song and Silence

Edited by - Kaladorm on 24 Jan 2006 11:56:50
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  23:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The product I'd be most willing to buy a remake of isn't 3rd ed, it's one of, if not the, last Realms product of the 2nd ed era, Sea of Fallen Stars. I LOVED THAT SUBSETTING!!!

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  23:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm
One prime example is a wizard spell from Complete Adventurer. It does 'exactly' the same as a Core 3.5 spell, but has a different name and is a 2nd not 3rd level spell. Hmmph they've got so many books they don't even remember what they've published before

You're either talking about mindless rage and rage, or fly, swift, and fly.

mindless rage and rage: The two spells have completely different effects. One grants the effects of a barbarian's rage, one sends the recipient into a mindless rage.

fly, swift, and fly: These two differ in duration and casting time; they offer different tactical possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  23:45:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volo

The product I'd be most willing to buy a remake of isn't 3rd ed, it's one of, if not the, last Realms product of the 2nd ed era, Sea of Fallen Stars. I LOVED THAT SUBSETTING!!!

I believe the last 2E FR product (and one of my personal faves) was Cloak & Dagger.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  00:08:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Volo

I believe the last 2E FR product (and one of my personal faves) was Cloak & Dagger.

Indeed it was Wooly and ditto for me to.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  02:21:53  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see the 3 God books redone in 3E with a PrC/Core Class for each Speciality Priest.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  02:52:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

I would love to see the 3 God books redone in 3E with a PrC/Core Class for each Speciality Priest.

The first part I'd agree with... but if the 3 2e deity books are to be redone... I'd prefer to see them updated with the "missing" details about rituals and clerical practices, rather than PrC/Core Class information.

It's time folks... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Feb 2006 02:53:37
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  07:14:48  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

The first part I'd agree with... but if the 3 2e deity books are to be redone... I'd prefer to see them updated with the "missing" details about rituals and clerical practices, rather than PrC/Core Class information.

It's time folks... .

How about both?

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2006 :  07:35:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, the prestige classes can be done in a resurrected Faiths of Faerūn-series of articles in Dragon Magazine. Someone get Erik Mona and Tom Costa on the case now!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  06:37:28  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be neat to see the Bloodstone Adventures redone H1-4.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  20:30:02  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

You're either talking about mindless rage and rage, or fly, swift, and fly.

mindless rage and rage: The two spells have completely different effects. One grants the effects of a barbarian's rage, one sends the recipient into a mindless rage.

fly, swift, and fly: These two differ in duration and casting time; they offer different tactical possibilities.

Hmm I may have misquoted it as Complete Adventurer, all these new books look the same

I was referring to Flame Arrow :)

Edited by - Kaladorm on 08 Feb 2006 11:27:38
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  21:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms Adventures, or rather the city section, is possibly the best and most useful FR book of all time. I've gotten more mileage of this book than the rest of my FR collection combined.
May I suggest looking at this format when its time to publish a new FRCS?

I'd like to see a revised, expanded and hardcover Magic of Faerun. It is a great book, and should be restored as an essential book to the setting. Everything generic in the book has been reprinted in (more appropriate) core books long ago, which leaves us room for realms specific goodies with stronger ties to the setting.

Lords of Darkness is another beloved book on my FR shelf, but could use more pages, a an updated Campaign Journal and a sturdier cover. I loved the sample lairs in that book. Its one of the more useful 3.x FR books at the gaming table (I play with the books, not just read them!), and I would love to see this great title brought back.

The Epic Level Handbook sorely needs a revision. I like the system, but it needs more monsters, cooler items and some solid advise on how to run a epic game. Epic level D&D feels a bit like a superhero game, while it should the stuff of myths and legends. A change of focus please!

An updated, compiled and condensed Mystara/Known World setting. Ah Threashold... the only place more memorable than the Moonshaes

... speaking of which, a new Moonshaes would be cool.

A new Villains Lorebook would another must-buy for me. The characters are the realms, and the iconic villains are essenstial in any true FR game (for me anyway).
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2006 :  04:55:13  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely, positively NOTHING.

There's too much AD&D stuff they haven't converted, particular for the Realms. I would like to see Wizards focusing more on releasing materials for Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and "D20 Modern/Past/Future" then on more generic core material that for the most part isn't being changed AT ALL and if it was is 10 sentences that could all be put into a PDF file by THEM for free. Then, in the next print run of of book X, they just revise it to feature the material from the PDF, maybe even change the title "Revised Such and Such" fooling no one into thinking it's actually NEW stuff they're buying, instead of continuously pushing the SAME material and releasing less new material or actual AD&D => 3E material each year.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

nzr
Acolyte

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  00:27:02  Show Profile  Visit nzr's Homepage Send nzr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd consider getting Al Qadim stuff, but beyond that... not really much. "Proper" Realms history books?
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  16:30:46  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see an updated, hardback version of Magic of Faerun, Masters of the Wild, Cloak and Dagger, and 3.5 versions of the Heroes and Villians Lorebooks

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  16:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, a Monster Manual-sized, hardbound, 3.5 edition of Monsters of Faerun.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  17:20:22  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In general it would be nice to see more info and less prestige classes and feats and such. D&D isn't a collectible game like Magic, you DON'T need all the new rulebooks to play a better game.

I'd much appreciate sourcebooks that would actually help me run a campaign. An FR history-books series with the sort of encyclopedic info that allows you to play in any era and know what you are talking about

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000