Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sammaster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  00:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am currently reading The Rage, book 1 of the Year of the Rogue Dragons. The book has just mention Sammaster as being the creator of the Cult of the dragon and I was hoping to get some more information on the cult itself. I know very little about it really, except the bit about them in Spellfire. Basically I am wondering what they are all about, like do they worship dragons, what are their goals and such things. Also how powerful is/was Sammaster?

I realize the topic is quite broad but any information is appreciated, I am just wondering what the cult is all about in general. I am not sure if they are mentioned in source books and such because I really only read the FR novels.

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  03:56:23  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go here: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Download the Cult of the Dragon pdf, it is a 2E book, but has the most information on the Cult in one location.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  03:56:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is or was, a free PDF download on the wizards site, pertaining to the cult of the dragon. I burned a copy, but it has been a while though.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  03:59:00  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

there is or was, a free PDF download on the wizards site, pertaining to the cult of the dragon. I burned a copy, but it has been a while though.

Ha! Beat ya and I provided a Link too

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  04:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cult of the Dragon information can be found in FR:Lords of Darkness, they are just lunatics who believe undead wyrms like dracoliches will conquer the world and those who helped the undead wyrms to achieve their goals will gain some authority over their fellows(liek lordship over their own people). They worship and venerate evil wyrms, but more towards the undead wyrms which they call them "sacred ones" and treat them almost like gods.

Here is more info: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010328b

Sammaster is considered quite powerful especially now as a lich, once Mystra's Chosen and with power akin to the other Chosen, now he is a "Fallen" Chosen. He is very good at necromancy. Sammaster is male human lich Wiz20/Acm5/Epic5. He is a real pain to deal with.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  04:09:23  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Ha! Beat ya and I provided a Link too

Scererar bows to the quicker scribe you got me by 35 seconds
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  04:17:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also several replies from Ed about Sammaster in his 2005 replies:- http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/so_saith_ed.htm

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  05:06:17  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a wee bit more in Champions of Valor as well. Edit...Erm...I obviously meant Champions of Ruin, of course.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 28 Dec 2005 07:07:52
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  05:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Champions of Ruin has a ton about the Cult of the Dragon, updated to their current doings in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  07:02:00  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Darkness has some information too.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  07:19:37  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the information. I didn't expect to get so many replies so fast, you guys were on the ball with that
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  07:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sammaster is a evil character but is still a chosen of mystra? I only knew of her Chosen that do good for the realms. Does she have any other Chosen that are basically evil? Is this to keep a balance?

So Sammaster is nearly as powerful as Szas Tam the Thayan Necromancer? (sorry if I incorrectly spelled that)
Go to Top of Page

trellian
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  08:06:32  Show Profile  Visit trellian's Homepage Send trellian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sammaster waschosen of Mystra. In fact, he was the Magister at one point if I'm not mistaken. Sadly, he fell from grace and became the founder of the Cult of Dragon.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  09:31:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

Sammaster is a evil character but is still a chosen of mystra? I only knew of her Chosen that do good for the realms. Does she have any other Chosen that are basically evil? Is this to keep a balance?
From my upcoming Sage's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ:-

Canon Chosen of Mystra

* Elminster Aumar
* Khelben Arunson
* Storm Silverhand
* Laeral Silverhand
* Alustrial Silverhand
* The Simbul
* Sylune Silverhand
* Qilue Veladorn
* Dove Falconhand
* Noumea Drathchuld -- was the previous Magister (before Talatha Vaerovree on Innarlith, who now occupys the position)
* Alvaerele Tasundrym -- held the position of Magister from 576 DR to 592 DR. She is referred to as "the Silent Chosen". Most do not even know that this Magister exists, but her position now is very important as she acts as guardian for those things that Mystra I wishes to remain unknown (this includes knowledge like where the Srinshee is sleeping, as wel as making certain that human, half-elven, and elven family trees are kept recorded and up-to-date)
* Symrustar Auglamyr -- Steven Schend has told us Symrustar is now deceased
* Sammaster -- no longer a Chosen of Mystra (stripped of his Chosen powers in 875 DR [CotD])
* The Srinshee
* Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep
* Nadrathen -- referred to as "the Rebel Chosen" (and is now also deceased)

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Dec 2005 09:38:29
Go to Top of Page

Unski
Acolyte

Finland
12 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  09:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Unski's Homepage Send Unski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Sammaster is nearly as powerful as Szas Tam the Thayan Necromancer? (sorry if I incorrectly spelled that)

In terms of personal magic, yes, but Sammaster has been out of the loop for so long that Szass Tam holds far more wealth, magical items, servants and others such to put up a good fight.
I haven't read CoR or the Lords of Darkness books, so to my current knowledge Sammaster might not even be around anymore. The Cult of the Dragon sourcebook hints that his phylactery could be somewhere hidden, or that Sammaster might have already evolved into a demilich.

And as for his tittle as a Chosen, Sammaster was corrupted by Bane and attacked lady Alustriel, whom he loved at one point, which resulted in that Azuth took away the Spellfire from Sammaster. Which (if memory serves) killed him and turned him insane and totally evil. Then began his lichhood and the beginning of the Cult.

And that be the end of that story.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  00:49:15  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

From my upcoming Sage's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ:-

Canon Chosen of Mystra

* Elminster Aumar
* Khelben Arunson
* Storm Silverhand
* Laeral Silverhand
* Alustrial Silverhand
* The Simbul
* Sylune Silverhand
* Qilue Veladorn
* Dove Falconhand
* Noumea Drathchuld -- was the previous Magister (before Talatha Vaerovree on Innarlith, who now occupys the position)
* Alvaerele Tasundrym -- held the position of Magister from 576 DR to 592 DR. She is referred to as "the Silent Chosen". Most do not even know that this Magister exists, but her position now is very important as she acts as guardian for those things that Mystra I wishes to remain unknown (this includes knowledge like where the Srinshee is sleeping, as wel as making certain that human, half-elven, and elven family trees are kept recorded and up-to-date)
* Symrustar Auglamyr -- Steven Schend has told us Symrustar is now deceased
* Sammaster -- no longer a Chosen of Mystra (stripped of his Chosen powers in 875 DR [CotD])
* The Srinshee
* Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep
* Nadrathen -- referred to as "the Rebel Chosen" (and is now also deceased)

What is the magister?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  01:35:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Magister is, basically, the personal champion of Mystra. They are magic users (only one Magister can exist at a time) selected by Mystra to promote the Art -- through both the tasks they are each directed to perform and their individual mastery of magic -- in the Realms.

More on the individual Magisters and their history can be gleaned from the 2e Secrets of the Magister tome and Magic of Faerun.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Dec 2005 01:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  16:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has Elminster ever been the Magister? Just from reading the FR novels it would seem to me that is his Mystra's favorite. But then again a novel and source books I imagine can vary a little and plus there has not been novels about all the chosen so I am just making assumptions here.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  17:16:26  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In CoR, the "recent discovery" of the Well of the Dragon by the cult is mentioned with no details.

Is there a recent source that details it ?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  17:19:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. I don't believe Chosen can become Magister, though, if I remember correctly, a former Magister can become a Chosen. I'd have to double-check Secrets of the Magister (a 2E book) to be sure.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  17:22:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Nope. I don't believe Chosen can become Magister, though, if I remember correctly, a former Magister can become a Chosen. I'd have to double-check Secrets of the Magister (a 2E book) to be sure.

You are indeed correct. A Chosen of Mystra cannot become the Magister but the Magister can become a Chosen after they step out of the office of the Magister.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  17:22:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

In CoR, the "recent discovery" of the Well of the Dragon by the cult is mentioned with no details.

Silver Marches, I believe. If not then The North box set.

Er, actually I think it's in the Cult of the Dragon sourcebook. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Dec 2005 17:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  17:56:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Silver Marches, I believe. If not then The North box set.

I just scanned the pdf of The North (available for free on the Wizards downloads page), and found no references to it.

It is mentioned in Cult of the Dragon (also available for free, follow the link above), but there's little real info there. I believe it was first mentioned in one of Volo's Guides, but I don't recall which one. I don't believe there's been any follow-up to this, though.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Dec 2005 18:01:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  00:19:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the first mention was in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast...

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Dec 2005 00:28:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  02:23:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm thinking it's in there, too. I've just not had a chance to check, yet.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  02:35:06  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Volo's guide / Cult of Dragon, the Well is guarded by the Dire Dragon and the Cult isn't able to take it.

In CoR, it is said that the Cult took it, without any mention of the Dire Dragon..

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  03:03:11  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think Lords of Darkness has information relating that that, but not entirely sure.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  03:04:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'm thinking it's in there, too. I've just not had a chance to check, yet.

Yes, it is in there... . It's under the entry "Well of Dragons".

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000