Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Seven Children of Fzoul (Campaign Hook)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  07:39:18  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just as the Meilikki worshipping druid in my campaign has a long term hook, so does the cleric of Helm. He has come into possession of a child, a baby born with a birthmark of Xvim. Originally he ran like hell out of Zhentil Keep to keep the child away from Banites when he had a dream about Bane's return.

Currently, the Harper's help shield and hide the child with Jak Fleet's mother in Stumphill, and the cleric is still trying to figure out what is going on with the child, though he had to leave her be while he went on a mission to curtail Shadovar activities.

The child is one of seven tiefling children born to Fzoul Chembryl while he was possesed by Xvim, and thus the children were consecrated to Xvim, and where intended to be his special servants. When Bane returned, Fzoul was given a gift for each of them hunted down and killed as a sacrifice to Bane.

This child is the last one, and Banites seeking to make Fzoul look bad want her as much as those that wish to gain favor with him do. I wanted to come up with a ceremony that would allow a good priest to purge the "fiendish" out of her, thus making her worthless as a sacrifice.

First off, does anyone have any ideas on how this ceremony should work, and does anyone have any good plot hooks to throw at this particular adventure thread.

Thanks guys.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  09:00:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting idea

I remember an old episode of Star Trek Voyager where the crews Half Klingon Half human character was a captured by an Alien race. The Aliens used technology to split the character into 2 seperate people a full blooded Human and a Full blooded Klingon.

You could try something similar with a spell maybe the PCs perform a ritual and the "Outsider" part of the child becomes a seperate person. Maybe after the rituals performed a Devil of some sort comes out of the now pure Human child and attacks the party

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  09:01:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy schnikies Dargoth, I don't know why I didn't think of that, thanks.

In fact, "evil child" side of the baby could stick around to be not only a pain in the PCs side, but potentially a pain in Fzoul's side as well.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 05 Sep 2005 09:03:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  15:24:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a Realms precedent for this... Kyriani, the half-elven lord of Waterdeep, is the daughter of a drow and a human paladin (no, that was never adequately explained).

The drow's evil was originally cast out of her when she was a child. Cybriani was a good-aligned half-elf babe, and the evil manifested as Kilili, a drow mage. The two later merged into Kyriani. There was another split, later, and another remerging, which was this time complete (the previous merging wasn't). And that was when Kyri became the fun chica we all know and love.

I like your idea.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Sep 2005 15:25:53
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  17:34:47  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This idea has also been done in the Avatar series, ironically by Bane himself.

It was when Kelemvor suffered from the Lyonsbane curse. Bane removed the curse by using a magical spell that allowed him to reach into Kelemvor's body, pull out the panther and then gut it with his sword.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  18:23:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I was drifting off to sleep last night I thought about Kyriani (no, not like that). This was a great plot hook guys, thanks for the help. Any other ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2005 :  14:55:23  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where are the stats and info surrounding Kyriani? She sounds like an interesting, though improbable, union. :)

The only other thing is if you had some priestesses of some major good-aligned goddess, like Selune or Mystra - help enact a sort of anti-ritual of the one seen in the Farthest Reach. You know, take the demon out of the child, rather than combine the two? Same process as above, different way to do it.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2005 :  17:27:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Where are the stats and info surrounding Kyriani? She sounds like an interesting, though improbable, union. :)

C-Fb

Kyriani was most recently statted out in City of Splendors: Waterdeep (under the Moonstar Agent PrC). The same tome also names her as one of Waterdeep's hidden Lords.

She was originally a character in the old Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic book. That's where most of her history is described.

She was statted for 1E in the comic -- issue 5, I think. This was her most complete write-up.

She was statted for 2E in an issue of Dragon. It was either 246 or 247, I believe (one comic's characters were statted in one issue, the other comic's characters were statted the following issue). This was done like most of the "Rogue's Gallery" entries, with only a page of information.

There are also references to her in Powers & Pantheons and Cloak & Dagger, both 2E sources.

Go to Top of Page

Ebonshine
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2005 :  19:38:08  Show Profile  Visit Ebonshine's Homepage Send Ebonshine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an idea or two...

But seeing as how this child is of Xvim and nurtures a hatred for the Chosen of Bane and possibly other banites and the PCs as well, would it be feasible to have agents of Cyric taking an interest in the child as well?

Perhaps some devoted Cyricists hear of her and work to capture the child and raise her to be a weapon of destruction for the faithful of his enemy?

Using deception and lies the Cyricists could foment a desire within the child to destroy all things related to Bane. Claiming they rescued her from Fzoul and not the pcs/harpers?

Maybe a high level Cleric of Cyric poses as the priest performing the ceremony of purging the demon side out of the child but actually absconds with the child to be raised as a devoted Cyricist?
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  01:10:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of Cyrists too, but the party has a lot up in the air right now. The druid has a book that the people of the Black Blood are trying to get, the cleric has a monk of the Long Death lying in wait for him, they have both ticked off the Shadovar and the Zhentarim, though neither knows fully what part the PCs played, yet. Still, I like the idea of the evil side of the girl surviving after its purged. I may make it a spirit though, so that it won't be obvious. That way it could posses someone in the temple during the "exocism" and escape for a while without the PCs knowing anything went wrong . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  01:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could always use my devil idea and give the devil levels of the Fiend of Possesion PrC from Fiend Folio

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  02:30:16  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I was thinking of Cyrists too, but the party has a lot up in the air right now. The druid has a book that the people of the Black Blood are trying to get, the cleric has a monk of the Long Death lying in wait for him, they have both ticked off the Shadovar and the Zhentarim, though neither knows fully what part the PCs played, yet. Still, I like the idea of the evil side of the girl surviving after its purged. I may make it a spirit though, so that it won't be obvious. That way it could posses someone in the temple during the "exocism" and escape for a while without the PCs knowing anything went wrong . . .

KnightErrantJR, the evil spirit part reminds me of Heroes of Horror. Perhaps when that sourcebook comes out, you could implement ideas and stuff from the sourcebook into your campaign.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  02:35:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, again, thanks for the great idea. Must not have occured to me because my wife was the Voyager fan (I was partial to DS9, lol). I don't really want the "spirit" to be TOO developed, since it is really just an aspect of the child. To start it will be more of a NE impulse. In a way I am kinda thinking of the Phoenix force from X-Men, with it hitching a ride on someone to learn how to vent its evil urges (hey, its been a while since I made a comics reference).

DDH, I am very curious about Heroes of Horror in general.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  02:57:55  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heroes of Horror could be one of two things - really good or really cheesy. I really hope it is good, because there is nothing better than scaring the bejeezers out of your characters in a moment of High Anxiety.

KEJR - you must be looking forward to the X3 movie. :)

You might also have an agent of Shar come into the fray because she is always looking for a way to one up every other evil (heck any) deity. She might send someone to go assess the situation and perhaps lighten the load of caring for this child

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  03:01:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar hm . . . that would fit in with the Shadovar they have ticked off. Sweet merciful Mystra have they made some enemies . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  04:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dargoth, again, thanks for the great idea. Must not have occured to me because my wife was the Voyager fan (I was partial to DS9, lol). I don't really want the "spirit" to be TOO developed, since it is really just an aspect of the child. To start it will be more of a NE impulse. In a way I am kinda thinking of the Phoenix force from X-Men, with it hitching a ride on someone to learn how to vent its evil urges (hey, its been a while since I made a comics reference).

DDH, I am very curious about Heroes of Horror in general.

Use an Imp their only CR2 and you can apply the Fiend of Possession Template ontop of it as the party get stronger

Now if you really want to screw with your Pcs heres another idea

As in my orgional post the PCs perfrom a ritual that splits the Tiefling child into a human and an Outsider. However what they dont know is that it has also split the Tiefling childs soul as well

After the Rituals performed youve got the following

A Human child (Now without horns, hooves etc)
A Imp
An Inocent Childs soul
An Evil soul tainted by Xvim

Now who says the Evil soul has to end up in the Imp................

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  05:03:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be evil, but it would also negate the point of the quest, since the child would still have Xvim's taint, and thus Bane, and Fzoul, would still be interested in sacrificing it. Still, that would be an evil turn to take . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2005 :  05:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That would be evil, but it would also negate the point of the quest, since the child would still have Xvim's taint, and thus Bane, and Fzoul, would still be interested in sacrificing it. Still, that would be an evil turn to take . . .

Just because the Players perform the ritual doesnt mean it worked out the way they thought it would... and you dont of cause have to tell the players about which soul went there. For all they know theyve got a lovely innocent human child........

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2005 :  18:28:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Upon further thinking on this topic, I was looking for a good way for someone to drop some hints about what is going on and who the child really is. The more I thought about it, the more I thought that I might have Semmemon drop in and let them know what is up with the child, if only to take a shot at Fzoul. I was thinking of having Semmemon drop in and strengthen the wards the Harpers put on the Fleet house in Stump Hill.

What thoughts do you guys have about Semmemon dropping in and doing some damage to Fzoul's long term plans?
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2005 :  17:10:29  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I would say he would probably be the perfect candidate. However, from what I picked up from his character is that he is tryng to put as much space between himself and the Zhentarim. I wouldn't want to raise Fzoul's ire any more if I had split off from one of the most dangerous factions. Plus, he probably is enjoying time with his Moon Elf apprentice.

How about one of the Manshoon clones? The would jump at the chance to weaken any of the current Manshoon's power base, therefore attacking Fzoul.

Just a thought.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2005 :  18:42:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

How about one of the Manshoon clones? The would jump at the chance to weaken any of the current Manshoon's power base, therefore attacking Fzoul.

Just a thought.

C-Fb

I disagree... I think that at this point, any Manshoon clones -- official or unofficial -- would be more interested in doing their own thing and leaving the other Manshoons alone. Remember, the Manshoon Wars didn't happen because of any particular antipathy for the other clones, it happened because they were trying to get to the same stuff, and when they were close enough to be affected by the magical compulsion to slay each other. Since then, they've learned to avoid each other and the old haunts.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2005 :  18:44:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and another thought... About the idea of the free-floating evil spirit KEJr mentioned: anyone seen the movie "Fallen"?

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2005 :  20:44:34  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, what about Fzoul's enemies in Hillsfar? They might seek out the information just to be a thorn in Fz's side.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  01:31:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have kind of a convoluted back story that the PCs will likely never see that goes to the Semmemon thing. I was thinking that he might be trying to get back into Manshoon's good graces, quietly, by messing with Fzoul, on the sly.

Oh, and Semmemon has been in contact with Manshoon, but not the one he thinks he as been in contact with.

Oh and Wooly, that is more along the lines of what I was thinking of with the evil impulse spirit thing, though it wouldn't be that evil right away. In the begining it would just be doing things like possesing someone so they could, say, break something . . . then to steal something . . . a bigger thrill and more evil pursuit until it becomes a villain in and of itself.

Crennen, I keep trying to work Hillsfar in. Somehow my players always manage to avoid the option that I write in that would lead that way. I even had the old gladitorial ring ready for them when the half ogre, lythari, and dwarf were still in the group.

Ah well.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  15:10:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, the pary met Semmemon, and they refused his help, though they didn't pick up on who he was (amusingly enough, the rogue/druid's player was pretty concerned the whole time becuase he misinterpreted my clues as meaning that the mysterious wizard was actually Manshoon). The child was whisked off by three agents that Storm sent because she trusts them (Belkram, Itharr, and Sharantyr, though the reference was lost on my players, heh heh).

I am thinking of having Ashemi show up and offer them the deal proposed in the FRCS. Not only does Semmemmon want to ingratiate himself to the forces of good, but along with all of his notes that he has the PCs pick up from his old digs in Darkhold, he also has information in some of his books about ceremonies to purge the child of any trace of fiendish blood. This should hook the PCs, especially since the cleric of Helm has really picked up on the "Helm likes children" angle of his god.

I am thinking of having them stage a raid on Darkhold's outer territories with Tunlar barbarians, since the party now has a Tunlar among them. Its a great tie in, and then they, through a fairly elaborate plan that Semmemon has, can shoot from the outer wall to the second level towers (since the outer wall is equal to level two of Darkhold) and raid Semmemon and Ashemi's towers for the ledgers and information that he has offered them.

At any rate, the idea of Hill Giants in iron full plate with giant sized full blades guarding the towers greatly appeals to me.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated . . .
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  15:12:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Tunlar raiding Darkhold is something that Stilgar, our Tunlar barbarian, has already been talking about for a while, and this would give him an excuse to do his William Wallace impersonation. As long as he doesn't moon anyone at the table . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  19:26:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh, and another thought... About the idea of the free-floating evil spirit KEJr mentioned: anyone seen the movie "Fallen"?

If you wanted to add another realms tie in to your campaign, you could make the Evil taint the child has Tyranthraxus of Ruins of Adventure/Curse of the Azure bonds fame

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  05:15:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I finally figured out what Fzoul would be getting from Bane in the deal. Of the seven children, six were to be Xvim's eyes and ears, and one was to be raised directly by Fzoul as his heir.

When Bane returned, he demanded the children be sacrificed to him, but Fzoul wanted to keep the child that was to be raised as his heir. If not all of the children are sacrificed to Bane, then Bane is going to demand that Fzoul sacrifies his heir as well.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000