Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Weapons of Legacy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  02:16:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Excerpt of this product in all its tentacle-filled goodness -

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050620a

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  02:36:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In all its tentacle-filled goodness -

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050620a

Perhaps just campaigning, improperly in the Creature Competition, this is the first monster I have seen any write up for and a day before balloting starts.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  03:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an utterly uninspiring Excerpt and whats more I dont even think whats their showing is new isnt there already a Monster of Legacy in one of the monster manuals?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  03:14:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

What an utterly uninspiring Excerpt and whats more I dont even think whats their showing is new isnt there already a Monster of Legacy in one of the monster manuals?

Well they appear to be indicating there can be many, however what is also strange is that it is a "Weapons of Legacy Excerpt" and no weapon is mentioned at all, just natual combat abilities. If these are the weapons they are selling, might as well buy a monster manual II

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  05:29:40  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an excerpt from Weapons of Legacy about a weapon named Desert Wind: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050602b&page=3

From this excerpt, I have to say that Weapons of Legacy looks pretty interesting with how the weapons progress and becomes more powerful as the character levels up. This actually makes a weapon seem dear and valuable to PCs, as most people I know see their swords as just another thing to sell for something even better.

Of course, I find the personal costs that a PC has to make for a weapon of legacy seem kind of costly.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  09:50:58  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Well they appear to be indicating there can be many, however what is also strange is that it is a "Weapons of Legacy Excerpt" and no weapon is mentioned at all, just natual combat abilities. If these are the weapons they are selling, might as well buy a monster manual II

Monster Manual III is better.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  10:48:11  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Monster Manual III is better.

Aye, I agree as well.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  11:19:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was a bit baffled myself at the excerpt. Weapons of Legacy, but we just post a monster from the creature competition we are running.....ohhhh....kkkkk.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  15:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kewl. I can buy more minis then
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  17:26:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

I was a bit baffled myself at the excerpt. Weapons of Legacy, but we just post a monster from the creature competition we are running.....ohhhh....kkkkk.

Yeah, that one had me scratching my head, too... A good excerpt would have been some nice, nifty battleaxe or something, not a squidhead.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  21:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stay annoyed with this article, too. I don´t feel any problem with a "character of legacy", but they can, at least, give us more then 2 or 3 words and a roll of "taste new powers".

Yuri "Chosen of Moradin" Peixoto, believing that Gwydion the Quick and the Titanslayer are really a paladin and a weapon of legacy...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  23:32:44  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Here's an excerpt from Weapons of Legacy about a weapon named Desert Wind: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050602b&page=3

From this excerpt, I have to say that Weapons of Legacy looks pretty interesting with how the weapons progress and becomes more powerful as the character levels up. This actually makes a weapon seem dear and valuable to PCs, as most people I know see their swords as just another thing to sell for something even better.

Of course, I find the personal costs that a PC has to make for a weapon of legacy seem kind of costly.

I kind of like this Weapon of Legacy excerpt too.Thanks for presenting it.I love the lore about how it was made and such.It also becomes a pretty powerful weapon as the PC progresses.

As far as this Sluluth thing.I didn't much care for it.....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2005 :  23:54:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

As far as this Sluluth thing.I didn't much care for it.....

I tell you the evils at WotC have it in for the Paladin, trying to stack votes against her.

Also might be gender bias *wink*

We can get even by voting for the paladin.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  03:20:52  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

We can get even by voting for the paladin.
[/quote] I was going to anyways

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  08:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like the Web Except department have redeemed themselves

The latest even includes a Weapon Specficly written for the FR

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050701a&page=3

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  13:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it! And I like it too much!
Someone more have perceived that the general quality of the WoTC books have "gained some levels"? The 2005 books are all having more interesting stuff and, because of this, gaining more good coments, that the older ones...
I think that Weapons of Legacy will be another good one, and I will stay waiting for this tome.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  04:44:33  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The latest even includes a Weapon Specficly written for the FR

I guess it'll be hoping for too much to see a Moonblade generation system worth a darn in the book?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  13:02:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza
I guess it'll be hoping for too much to see a Moonblade generation system worth a darn in the book?

I think that might be too Realms specific for this type of product.

WOTC has also posted a product spotlight for this item.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  01:35:38  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the lore that I love.Great background story,not too much,but just enough for you to get a sense of what the weapon is about.Rituals for awakening the powers.Some pretty awesome powers.I dig The Black Bow by the way!!I like how you gain more powers as you progress in level,and there is quite a few powers for each weapon.I would love to see an FR only version of this tome....

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  06:54:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to get my hands on this book. It should inspire a few potential DRAGON articles. Legacy items for Aryvandaar, Delzoun, Narfell .... the list goes on.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  08:11:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I can't wait to get my hands on this book. It should inspire a few potential DRAGON articles. Legacy items for Aryvandaar, Delzoun, Narfell .... the list goes on.

-- George Krashos

You've been letting loose quite recently with references to Narfell Krash. Are you trying to tell us something?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  08:22:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, not really. I'm working on a comprehensive timeline for the East at the moment (along with a few other things) which will, inter alia, give us some lore on Narfell and Raumathar. The good thing is that the region is very unlikely to be visited again officially and in print for a long time, so it gives me the chance to shape up some of my ideas and see what will float - that's how it turned out for my Illusk stuff and other North historical bits and pieces I wove together.

The problem with this project however, unlike the North Timeline, is that instead of having to fit in lots of small, obscure (and conflicting) references, I'm having to fill in lots of gaps. That's all well and good to an extent, but my creative vision for a slice of the Realms might not be the one that WotC or designers of the future will like or embrace and so the risk I run is busting my hump for nothing in relative terms, with all my hard labour reduced to the monolithic fan-lore pile. That's not a bad place to be (much better than the super-sized monolithic too-lazy-to-make-up-any-lore pile of nothingness) but I have greater ambitions than that!

If I can get a few DRAGON pieces published that put into print the guts of what I'm striving for here, then there's a much greater chance of seeing it work out that way in the end. Sometimes in the Realms, for better or for worse, it's not who writes the 'best' stuff, it's who gets the chance to write the 'first' stuff. Look at Slade's Netheril ...

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not saying that my stuff is 'the best stuff' - but I sure would like to get the chance to let others judge for themselves.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 11 Jul 2005 08:24:16
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  08:27:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sometimes in the Realms, for better or for worse, it's not who writes the 'best' stuff, it's who gets the chance to write the 'first' stuff. Look at Slade's Netheril ...
Very good point.

quote:
EDIT: Oh, and I'm not saying that my stuff is 'the best stuff' - but I sure would like to get the chance to let others judge for themselves.
I've always wondered what "The Krash's Interpretation of Netheril" would be like .

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  10:52:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, not really. I'm working on a comprehensive timeline for the East at the moment (along with a few other things) which will, inter alia, give us some lore on Narfell and Raumathar. The good thing is that the region is very unlikely to be visited again officially and in print for a long time, so it gives me the chance to shape up some of my ideas and see what will float - that's how it turned out for my Illusk stuff and other North historical bits and pieces I wove together.

The problem with this project however, unlike the North Timeline, is that instead of having to fit in lots of small, obscure (and conflicting) references, I'm having to fill in lots of gaps. That's all well and good to an extent, but my creative vision for a slice of the Realms might not be the one that WotC or designers of the future will like or embrace and so the risk I run is busting my hump for nothing in relative terms, with all my hard labour reduced to the monolithic fan-lore pile. That's not a bad place to be (much better than the super-sized monolithic too-lazy-to-make-up-any-lore pile of nothingness) but I have greater ambitions than that!

If I can get a few DRAGON pieces published that put into print the guts of what I'm striving for here, then there's a much greater chance of seeing it work out that way in the end. Sometimes in the Realms, for better or for worse, it's not who writes the 'best' stuff, it's who gets the chance to write the 'first' stuff. Look at Slade's Netheril ...

-- George Krashos

George your going to do something with Narfell?

I was going to do a "Dargoths Unofficial Treatsie on Narfell" after I finish with Jhaamdath (Yes yes its coming its coming)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  12:33:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A gallery is now available.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  21:21:36  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sirius for the Gallery.The art work is done pretty well too...It adds good flavor so to speak....

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  01:06:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

George your going to do something with Narfell?

I was going to do a "Dargoths Unofficial Treatsie on Narfell" after I finish with Jhaamdath (Yes yes its coming its coming)

Well, I'm always doing something on the East - Impiltur is my prime area of interest but I keep finding myself wanting to start from 'the beginning' and map out the historical evolution in the East for the sake of completeness. I can't write about Narfell till I sort out the Great Glacier. I can't write about the Great Glacier until I sort out its nature, why it spread and why it stopped. I can't talk about why it stopped until I get a handle on the elven presence in the Rawlinswood/Forest of Lethyr, Gray Forest and Yuirwood. I can't sort out the elves until I work out the earliest human presence in the region as a "Creator Race", given references to humans in the Yuirwood. I can't look at humans as a "Creator Race" until I spend some time thinking about the other Creator Races and references that point to sarrukh presence in the East such as the Thaymount. Do you see where I'm coming from? This FR history stuff isn't easy, you know! That said, I'm shaping up something in accordance with the above at the moment - however other projects have intervened just lately so there will be nothing for the fans for a couple of months at the least. Anyways, enough of my rambling.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  03:18:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Sirius for the Gallery.The art work is done pretty well too...It adds good flavor so to speak....

Glad you enjoyed it. Going to purchase this tome?
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  14:22:58  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I may consider doing just that!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  17:11:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I will, as well, assuming I can find a good price on eBay.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  21:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I purchased this tome today and must say on first impressions... very nice indeed. There is much more information and depth to these items. I'd expected more of a standard equipment tome, but there is far more too it. I'll sit down more with this over the next few days

Any other thoughts on this tome?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll