Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Viper's Kiss: House of Serpents,Book II (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  21:43:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Now that Amazon has finally realized this novel has been out for two weeks, I should be getting Viper's Kiss : House of Serpents, Book II by Lisa Smedman delivered today. Has anyone else started reading this novel? Any thoughts/comments?

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 02 Mar 2005 22:23:22

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  22:32:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked it up along with another new dlance novel. I'm not sure when I'll be getting to it though since it's in my stack. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  23:10:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to swing by the bookstore in a few days and see if it's there...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  23:23:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I just picked it up along with another new dlance novel. I'm not sure when I'll be getting to it though since it's in my stack. :)

I want to finish reading the elf section in Races of the Wild before starting this novel. I like the cover art. It looks great up close and is one of the best cover images I've seen in some time.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2005 :  23:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought the book, but I won't start reading it until I finish Eragon (don't ask).

I loved Venom's Taste, so I look forward to Arvin's latest adventure. :)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Decomp
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  03:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Decomp's Homepage Send Decomp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never read them? Are they worth the trip to the store?

"so many humans...so few recipes"
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  04:18:34  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decomp,yes you should make the trip.Venom's Taste was very good IMO.I will be hitting the bookstore tomorrow.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  05:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Decomp

Venom's Taste is certainly worth a trip to the store. It's a very personal story about a man--with realistic emotions--who undertakes a brutal quest.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  06:22:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you like stories with mysterious plots, yes.

If you like to read more about the Yuan-Ti, yes.

If you wish to just read a book with endless amounts of combat, no. Find another author.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  14:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Definitely, Venom's Taste was excellent. It was the first novel I have read that dealt with psionics, very cool. I didn't know the new book was out, so I haven't picked it up, but I'm sure it will be excellent as well. Lisa Smedman is one of my favorite writers, from way back with her Shadowrun books. She's really talented, and she's created a great character with Arvis.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Decomp
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  22:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Decomp's Homepage Send Decomp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Than I will defineatley have to check it out, I am looking for a new series to get into! Thanx again!
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

Definitely, Venom's Taste was excellent. It was the first novel I have read that dealt with psionics, very cool. I didn't know the new book was out, so I haven't picked it up, but I'm sure it will be excellent as well. Lisa Smedman is one of my favorite writers, from way back with her Shadowrun books. She's really talented, and she's created a great character with Arvis.

"so many humans...so few recipes"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  03:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Arvin, not Arvis. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

If you wish to just read a book with endless amounts of combat, no. Find another author.

Yes! I've noticed you are the type of reader who doesn't care to read pages and pages of combat--I'm the exact same way. I don't believe battles are inherently exciting; I've read my full share of boring, sleep inducing fight scenes.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  04:11:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Yes! I've noticed you are the type of reader who doesn't care to read pages and pages of combat--I'm the exact same way. I don't believe battles are inherently exciting; I've read my full share of boring, sleep inducing fight scenes.

It's just some novels these days seem to use this format

Fight Scene #1 (3-5 pages)

10 pages of very basic text

Fight Scene #2 (3-5 pages)

repeat process

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  00:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also wonder it if has to do with the fact that these are D&D novels: the author adds "random encounters" because the game itself is full of random encounters. I like a well done fight scene, and it makes sense that heroes shouldn't have an easy time of things, but some fight scenes seem thrown in just for the sake of putting combat in the novel, even when the story is just fine without it.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  01:55:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I also wonder it if has to do with the fact that these are D&D novels: the author adds "random encounters" because the game itself is full of random encounters. I like a well done fight scene, and it makes sense that heroes shouldn't have an easy time of things, but some fight scenes seem thrown in just for the sake of putting combat in the novel, even when the story is just fine without it.

Well, I'm halfway through this novel and it's not following that process. Thus, I think it's just each author and his/her own style.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  03:06:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the setting for the novel and the "class" of the lead character Im going to be bitterly disappointed if the characters dont venture into the ruins of Lirremar at some point in the trilogy

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  04:32:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I'm halfway through this novel and it's not following that process. Thus, I think it's just each author and his/her own style.

I know that (as you know I read the first novel and liked it), but it seems that more often than not, there are some non-essential fight scenes put into FR books, most likely because it's considered "part of the genre".

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  06:57:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished this novel late last night. Here are some unorganized ramblings about this work. Be warned, spoilers are possible if you read further although the thread's title should have made that obvious:

The Good

I recall another thread this year mentioning that middle novels are often the weakest point in a novel trilogy. In my experiences, this has often proved true. However, with Lisa Smedman's trilogy, I strongly feel that Viper's Kiss stands above the first novel in this series.

I especially enjoyed the development of Arvin. The young rogue, now a mind-mage continues to develop nicely for this reader. I liked how the author had him confronting his own pre-conceived notions regarding yuan-ti when his heart, although to start something lower in his anatomy, becomes involved with one.

The interaction between Arvin and this yuan-ti, Karell prove very entertaining. The dialogue is sharp and she clearly stands out as someone who an entire novel could focus on. I hope, despite the novel's conclusion, that readers haven't seen the last of this character.

The Bad

And speaking of Karell, did WOTC have to give up the surprise about her character on the back cover of the novel? Granted, I think her origins would be obvious to a reader as the story progressed even without the cover's mention. Yet, I think it's something that could have been avoided by the WOTC novel department.

Moreover, I recall the first novel in this series had a somewhat misleading bit of information on the back cover's summary. This misinformation takes place again with this novel. Despite what is mentioned on the back cover, this novel is not about the Circled Serpent. This item is mentioned a few times throughout, but it will become more prominent in the third novel. This book is about a search for a baron's young, and very pregnant daughter. The theme of family, something the first novel also contained echoes again strongly within this book as does the loss of family.

The Ugly

Nothing really ugly about the novel unless it's how badly the reader might feel for Arvin by the end of the novel. As someone who has already dealt with significant losses throughout his life, another is added again following this work's climatic battle. I fear the mind-mage has taken over for Cormyr and The Elven Race as the FR novel staff's punching bag. Granted, I am a reader that likes tortured characters, but even I hope he finds some happiness by the end of this trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  18:45:39  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I crushed this book in a matter of hours spanned over a few days.I like the development of Arvin so far.He has limitations.He is learning how to use his powers right before our eyes.

Karrell was an intriguing character.SB that was a big oversight by WoTC to mention what she was on the back cover.I wonder why they did that???I wasn't surprised in the least that she and Arvin.......Well you know....Though what was she?A mage?Priest?I also liked the dialogue between her and Arvin throughout the book.Like when she came out of nowhere when Arvin was going into Dmetrio's house.I liked that scene.Especially at the end when Arvin puts his down,points,and says,"Just go!"I got a chuckle out of that...

There are a lot of different players in this as well.Especially on the side of the bad guys.Zelia is playing both sides.She knows who had the other half of the Circled Serpent,or she is going to find out soon enough since she seeded Naneth.Who seem to be a mage with some power.The demon was a maralith,whom I like above all other demons.Also one of the Eternal Evils was threatened to be unleashed on the Realms.What a book!!!!

If you want a book of endless battle.You will be disappointed.SB is correct in saying that this middle book is stronger than the first.Arvin had been beat down.I hope that Karrell comes back for his sake.He is defintiely a tortured character.Great read is all I can say!!!!

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  20:57:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA
Karrell was an intriguing character.SB that was a big oversight by WoTC to mention what she was on the back cover.I wonder why they did that???

No idea. I'm so ignorant, I don't even know what part of the novel department is responsible for the back cover layout. I doubt the author has much or any say in such a detail similar to the situation with cover art on novels.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  12:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you liked the 1980s TV series V, yes

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  17:30:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
If you liked the 1980s TV series V, yes

Don't mess with V! That series had the Beastmaster as the hero.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  00:33:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Classic 80s TV

V
The A-Team
Knight rider
The Greatest American hero

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  02:12:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Classic 80s TV

V
The A-Team
Knight rider
The Greatest American hero

Just last week, I got to see the pilot episode of The Greatest American Hero... Bane's Boxers, but that was painful to watch! I can't believe I used to love that show...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  02:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The CIA guy from Greatest America Hero now does Raymonds Wifes Father in he TV show "Everybody loves Raymond"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 24 Mar 2005 02:25:19
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  04:27:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The CIA guy from Greatest America Hero now does Raymonds Wifes Father in he TV show "Everybody loves Raymond"

Robert Culp if I recall the actor's name correctly. He was also in "I Spy" which is a bit before my time, but something my mother recalled when GAH ran.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  08:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem

Now, about this Viper's Kiss....

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  11:21:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Ahem

What about it?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  16:35:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
What about it?

Yes, anyone else finish reading it lately?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  16:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Ahem

What about it?

::bashes Wooly around the head with a copy of Viper's Kiss::

THAT Wooly!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  16:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading it at the moment. I'm around half way through and must say i'm quite enjoying it.

The start of the novel on the river journey was quite well done, I had a good image of the whole scene and felt it was well written. The intigue and plot started to get deeper as well once Arvin had spoken to the baron and done his initial investigation. A good part of the book which added extra plot depth.

I quote like the feel of the yuan-ti being the outsiders this time, whereas is Venom's Taste it was the other way around.

Anyway, i'll leave my further comments until after i've finished the novel. So far, so good

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000