Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Bane History
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TimeReaper
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  20:11:22  Show Profile  Visit TimeReaper's Homepage Send TimeReaper a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey everyone,
I didn't see anything on this so I hope it hasn't been asked recently (or thousands of times already )

But, does anyone know where I can go (novels, sourcebooks, candlekeep) to get a pretty comprehensive history of Bane and Mask from when they were humans to Gods?

(Or if someone REALLY wants to, they can just tell me! But any info would be great, thanks.)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  20:31:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall Mask ever being human...

As for Bane, nothing more comprehensive than a single blurb in Faiths & Avatars covers his time as a human.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TimeReaper
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  20:55:10  Show Profile  Visit TimeReaper's Homepage Send TimeReaper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe not Mask...hmm...I thought I remembered, don't recall where, 3 people (Bane was definately one) who took to conquering some planes and challenged a god. Man, I wish I remember where I read that...(hope it wasn't a fanfic or anything )

Thanks for the help!

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  21:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was Bane, Bhaal and Mykrul and the god they challenged was Jergal

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  22:47:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

It was Bane, Bhaal and Mykrul and the god they challenged was Jergal

Indeed, and this was in the aforementioned blurb in Faiths & Avatars.

Go to Top of Page

TimeReaper
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  23:10:07  Show Profile  Visit TimeReaper's Homepage Send TimeReaper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it, I must have thought it was Mask instead of Mykrul. How could I forget Bhaal?

Thanks Wooly and Dargoth!

I must have flipped through Faiths and Avatars at the bookstore awhile back. Maybe Champions of Ruin will have more of a detailed background...here's one guy hoping anyway.

Edited by - TimeReaper on 04 Dec 2004 23:11:34
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  23:22:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimeReaper
I must have flipped through Faiths and Avatars at the bookstore awhile back. Maybe Champions of Ruin will have more of a detailed background...here's one guy hoping anyway.

Faiths & Pantheons gives a little more info actually in one of the adventures in the back where it discusses Borem, which is the deity they "killed" to raise to godhood.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2004 :  01:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's it, I must have thought it was Mask instead of Mykrul. How could I forget Bhaal?

Thanks Wooly and Dargoth!

you may have also come across the story if you played the Baldurs Gate games by Biowar, the story appears in several of the "Books" in the game

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2004 :  04:54:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'human' aspects of most gods is not something that WotC is going to point many resources to, I think. It takes away from their 'godliness' and with all due respect to the punters out there, just what is the utility in knowing that Bane was originally Aldirk Shimblesark, a farmer's son from the now vanished village of Destvale, located somewhere southwest of the Delimbyr Vale? I just don't get the fascination ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TimeReaper
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2004 :  05:07:19  Show Profile  Visit TimeReaper's Homepage Send TimeReaper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
you may have also come across the story if you played the Baldurs Gate games by Biowar, the story appears in several of the "Books" in the game

No, I never did play or read any of the Baulders Gate books. Maybe next time I'm at the book store I may take a look at one. Are they any good, story wise? Your use of "Books" makes me doubt it...

quote:
The 'human' aspects of most gods is not something that WotC is going to point many resources to, I think. It takes away from their 'godliness' and with all due respect to the punters out there, just what is the utility in knowing that Bane was originally Aldirk Shimblesark, a farmer's son from the now vanished village of Destvale, located somewhere southwest of the Delimbyr Vale? I just don't get the fascination ...

I'm normally not very interested in such things...except from what I remember it was a really good story. Where human Bane, Bhaal and Mykrul were the best at being bad, got some magical items of extreme power, and tore up the Realms. Then traveled to other planes, much like the mongouls, dominating everything in their path. They meet (fight?) Jergal and he divides some of his power between them. Sounds like a good story to me. (But, I haven't remembered much correctly about this whole thing, so maybe it's not so good.)

Edited by - TimeReaper on 05 Dec 2004 05:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2004 :  05:51:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm normally not very interested in such things...except from what I remember it was a really good story. Where human Bane, Bhaal and Mykrul were the best at being bad, got some magical items of extreme power, and tore up the Realms. Then traveled to other planes, much like the mongouls, dominating everything in their path. They meet (fight?) Jergal and he divides some of his power between them. Sounds like a good story to me. (But, I haven't remembered much correctly about this whole thing, so maybe it's not so good.)

As I recall, Jergal was tired of being a deity when the Evil Three came along...

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

I wouldn't say we needed a sourcebook dedicated to it, but sometimes the knowledge can come in handy... What if, using your example, there was some bit of Bane's essence left at that farm, from his early years... Someone who knew the right ritual, and the place to use it, could harness that essence, and use it for or against Bane...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2004 :  06:00:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the example you give is a good one except for one tiny problem - if in fact the detail I made up was provided, your campaign would have to be set in the Delimbiyr Vale to take advantage of it. The way things are now, you can have the "village where Bane was born" anywhere you want as a DM.

When it comes to the gods, flexibility is best as they are an omni-present aspect of everyone's campaign and hence the greater flexibility and utility that vague references provide is better for all FR DMs. At least IMHO.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TimeReaper
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  01:27:58  Show Profile  Visit TimeReaper's Homepage Send TimeReaper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point George, and it's a problem I often run into with FRs and its detailed history, particularly with the novels (which is why I keep all of the Drizzt's of the world away).

But, it's also something that makes me ask, with so much other stuff so fleshed out and detailed, why are certain things left vague and incomplete? If you're reading the novels more so then playing, I can imagine it being frustrating. The whole joint world history/layout of the novels is similar to comics, which if they ever left "gaps" up to the reader, it would not be well received, to say the least.

Anyway, I agree with your point. It is only asking for trouble if you begin laying out the complete history of omni-present beings and the like.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  03:10:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why are certain things left incomplete? Well, because we, the fans and the authors and game designers, haven't got around to detailing them yet. There are lots of areas (from the time of Steven Schend onwards) that received a proper fleshing out and detailed background history and lore. It's unfair to compare the 1E products to the 2E products. !E Realms stuff was pretty much disjointed, free floating material. Only when Steven came on board and demanded that the areas he wrote about reconciled and included ALL previously published references and sources, that a new type of detailed and all-encompassing FR product was born. Since that time some 3E products have been in this style also (Serpent Kingdoms and Shining South spring to mind) while others haven't been quite as all-encompassing (Underdark and Unapproachable East spring to mind in this category).

Many, many places still haven't received this treatment. What complete and detailed timeline or historical fleshing out do we have on the Heartlands? Dragon Coast? Impiltur? Some would say that the North has been fully fleshed out with respect to history, but as someone who actually sat down and catalogued it all and wrote it up, I was amazed at the holes I had to fill. Some where gaping crevasses!

The Realms is too big a place to write up everything at once. More recently, I feel that real progress is being made and the 2005 products will add even further flesh to the skeleton. I sometimes wish however that more FR novelists took the time to flesh out the Realms in their writing other than on a sometimes superficial basis. Just setting a book somewhere and using the names and places anyone can find in the FRCS, just doesn't cut it IMHO.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  13:46:58  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One hint about Bane's history before he attained divinity can be found from Ed Greenwood's novel, Stormlight.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  15:02:55  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would someone want to know about Bane as a human? Because it's Realmslore! What other reason is there? Sure, it's unnecessary, and yes, not knowing gives DMs freedom, but it's like a sickness, this desire to know everything about the Realms.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Shayan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  23:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Shayan's Homepage Send Shayan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No, I never did play or read any of the Baulders Gate books. Maybe next time I'm at the book store I may take a look at one. Are they any good, story wise? Your use of "Books" makes me doubt it...

What Dragoth by '"Books" in game' is that in the PC game Baulder's Gate you can find items that are books. They contain random stories or summarized FR lore (not more than a few pages), that the you can read.
Neverwinter Nights is another such game that has this feature.

Someone please tell me where to buy FR books in Australia!! Pretty Please...
Shayan's Subrace Engine - for NWNhttp://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=2603
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:56:20  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte TimeReaper,

Here are great sources and citations compiled:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bane

Best regards,

quote:

Hey everyone,
I didn't see anything on this so I hope it hasn't been asked recently (or thousands of times already )

But, does anyone know where I can go (novels, sourcebooks, candlekeep) to get a pretty comprehensive history of Bane and Mask from when they were humans to Gods?

(Or if someone REALLY wants to, they can just tell me! But any info would be great, thanks.)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000