Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Map of the North
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  17:15:50  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Edit 3: Now available on DM's Guild!
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/201383/The-North-Campaign-Map

I've recently completed the hand-drawn phase of my most ambitious map to date - an A2 sized map of the North. I am making this for my own players, but I also plan to upload this to the DM's Guild (Pay As You Want) and get it out there to the wider community, but before I do I want it to be the most true to canon it can be. So I need some basic proofing from the loremasters!

I'm quite proud of this, I think it's by far my best work so far.
http://fav.me/dari4yc
Edit: You'll have to download the map from DeviantArt I imagine, as it's too high a resolution to display the details properly on the site. The map is quite large, and I've found viewing it at about 33% zoom gives you the best feel for how it prints out at A2, and how it actually looks in real life (zoomed in further the ink begins to look more sloppy).

Edit 2: DM version now up!
http://fav.me/darkyxp

This version of the map is designed for players, and just has townships etc indicated on it. There will also be a DM version before too long, with all locations on it.

This map is designed for use in the current era Forgotten Realms (circa 1490s), but subject to interest it wouldn't be extremely hard for me to make a 1300s copy for those interested. I imagine it would mainly involve fixing the Glimmerwood.

As far as which sources I'm prioritising (because the 3e/4e map shrinkage hurts canon), I'm shooting for finding a middle ground between the 1e/2e maps and the 5e maps. When these conflict, I usually go with the 1e/2e source, unless there's a documented canon story reason for the change (such as Turlang's expansion of the High Forest).
The 5e map is almost exactly the same as the original maps, with the following changes:

1. In the Storm King's Thunder and SCAG maps, the eastern Rauvin Mountain range connects with the southeastern Nether range. I've fixed this to fit more closely with Ed's maps, as I believe that this is an error in their maps rather than a change in canon.

2. Mornbryn's Shield is located halfway to Nesme in the current STK map. Although this site has been confirmed as canon by the current team, I've kept it true to its location in the Volo's Guide.

I should note that I also plan to release a version that does not contain these fixes, so that people that want to work with the new map, and explain it away with the Sundering or the passed century, can still use it.

The Silver Marches were the most complex to organize, because they were well detailed in the 3e sourcebook with a map, but that map was squidged with all of 3e. I like to think I've found a good middle ground here though.

Maps used as source material:
OGB, Waterdeep & the North, Savage Frontier, the North - Guide to the Savage Frontier, Volo's Guide to the North, FR Atlas, FR Interactive Atlas, 3e Campaign Setting, Silver Marches, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Storm King's Thunder, and the maps of Markustay.
I'd also like to give a shout out to Markustay for his amazing maps which I continue to use and be inspired by, and for helping me out with a couple of locations already.

Anyway, long story short I'm looking for feedback! I want to get this out there and get everyone using it, especially as Storm King's Thunder is set in this exact area, and I feel that this is an opportunity to get more people interested in the geography and locations of the Realms!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 27 Dec 2016 02:10:51

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  17:56:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you save a file to deviantART, you get the choice of what size to display it in, and I've always chosen 'Original'. When people first navigate there they will see it at a normal (smaller) size, but then they can click on it for greater magnification (and I've had ones so big you could click TWICE for better magnification).

Just a heads-up.

Very nice map - it reminds me of the one Mike Schley did for 5e. There is a certain charm to those old-school, B&W style maps (reminds of all the fantasy novels I read when I was younger). Great job.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Dec 2016 17:57:11
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  21:11:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  21:16:03  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, thanks for pointing that out. Fixed! And thanks for the positive feedback.
At this point I'm mainly hoping all the major landscape features and locations are in the right places. After that, providing the good folk of Candlekeep don't provide me with too many things that need fixing, I need to whip through putting in all the other "DM locations" so I can get this out there asap.

I've gone for the old school, black and white approach because these are maps I give to my players, and pretend it's the map their characters see drawn on some canvas or whatever. I'll either coat the white paper in tea/coffee to give it a more authentic look, or if I'm feeling lazy print it out with a canvas texture background (which will be an available option in the DM's Guild product).

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  21:19:33  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a side note, does anyone know what the significance of the symbol on the front of the 3e FRCG is? I replicated it in the centre of the map's compass, but I have no idea what it signifies.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  21:27:25  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great job

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  22:14:43  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Very nice map - it reminds me of the one Mike Schley did for 5e.

The overall landscape for this was mapped out by replicating the shapes of the Schley map, but the drawing itself is more Jared Blando-lite. I found the Schley 5e map was very close to the original maps, except for that annoying Rauvin-Nether mountains link (which I've fixed to be closer to the original in this map) - although that could be "due to the Sundering". One reason I think it's more likely to be an error is that the pass names through that area are in the wrong places too (although reconciling the 3e/4e maps with the old ones wouldn't have been easy).

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  08:41:19  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, time for the serious version!
Below is linked to the map with all the locations mentioned in canon I could find, some of which (as far as I can tell) haven't appeared on maps before. These were sourced from just about every source I could get my hands on. I plan to go back through the material to try and find any more locations I have missed.

Here's the Deviant Art link:
http://fav.me/darkyxp

Feedback is appreciated, as well as criticism on placement of locations, hints on sites I've missed, etc!
At the very least I hope that this will be useful to some of you, especially when it's finished.

Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  14:13:32  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nicely done. I do love a good map. Keep it up, I'd love to see more of your work :D

Aa' lasser en`coialle n`natula brown.

(May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown)

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Mankyle
Acolyte

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  20:20:31  Show Profile Send Mankyle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow....

Wonderful map

I have seen the map and it looks wonderful.
Do you plan to add only cities, towns and villages???

Or are you going to add ruins and other points of interest??
It it so you could add places like
- Spellgard, north of the Weathercote wood
- Elvenport in the upper Deliymbyr Vale
- Ascore
- Myth Glaurach, The City of Scrolls, in the middle of the Talons
- Dungeon of Death in the Lurkwood
- The ancestral mounds of the Uthgardt
- The Endless Caverns in the South Part of the High Forest
- Dungeon of the Hark near Zelbross, in the High Moor
- Hammer Hall, and Hall of the Hammer
- I think Xantharl's keep should appear east of the High Moor, south of the Bleached Bones pass
- The Nameless Dungeon in the High Forest
- The Ruins of Lothen of the Silver Spires near Noanar's Hold
- The Shadowtop Cathedral in the High Forest
- Ruins of Karse in the High Forest
- Reithellaethor (Spelling?) elven village in the High Forest
- Stronghold of the Nine in the High Forest
- Halls of the Hunting Axe near the Surbrin Hills
-

There were many small places described by Ed Greenwood in Small Articles in the Dragon and Dungeon Magazines. Maybe I could look for them.

I will take a look on those Articles and I will give references so you can add those locations if you want

Anyway Superb work, mate!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2016 :  22:55:42  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look at the DM's version all of those locations are already there!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  02:08:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I do mine, I have a 'DM only' layer, for dungeons, etc.

However, there are a few that I leave on the normal map, like Hellgate keep, and Dragonspear Castle, because I consider them 'common knowledge' (well known landmarks).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  02:54:44  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've flirted with that idea myself, but I haven't yet come down in a particular direction. I figure in the North that list would probably include Ascore, Hellgate Dell, Elven Port, Southkrypt, House of Stone, maybe a couple others.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  20:05:29  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a sexy hand drawn map. Very nice!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  03:01:30  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like this map! How can we get a non-watermarked copy? Can we order prints? I'd love to use it as a prop when PCs buy maps in a shop.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  03:04:22  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just noticed something. Olostin's Hold should be abutting the High Forest, not the Silverwood. It should be Southeast of the Evermoor Way, on the western edge of the High Forest about halfway between Everlund and Yartar.

Edited by - Cards77 on 16 Dec 2016 03:06:11
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  03:52:33  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The final work is being prepped for the DM's Guild now, and with a little luck should be up in a couple of days!
Olostin's Hold was a tricky one. Volo's states it is north of the Evermoor Way, but it's never shown (to my knowledge) on 1e/2e era maps. In the 3e period, with the squiddged maps, it's on the south side against the High Forest, and is mentioned in the lore as such. So there was already a conflict back then.

5e has returned it to the north of the Evermoor Way, so that's where it is in this map. However, I've already made a separate layer with it in it's 3e location if you wanted a map with it in that position. I'd happily make adjustments like that for any Candlekeep peeps.

Edit: I forgot Olostin's WAS shown to the south of the road in the North boxed set map. However, its location isn't mentioned in the text until 3e, when it is specifically referenced as having links with the High Forest.

Edited by - KanzenAU on 16 Dec 2016 07:36:07
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  07:27:07  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The above said, I also know (thanks again to Markustay) that Eric Boyd thought Olostin's should be south of the Evermoor Way, in alignment with its 3e position. Which makes it even more difficult. I've decided to stick by the earliest source and the most recent source (although even The North set map had it to the south). A tough decision overall, and I'd be interested to hear other opinions. That's what I made this thread for, to make it as canon as we can before I release it to the masses.

2 other problems I mentioned in my first post. Mornbryn's Shield remains problematic. Volo said it was at the meetingpoint of the Surbrin and the Laughingflow, which is where it stayed almost the whole way through - though it crept a bit north in the Silver Marches map and Markustay's map of that region (I believe trying to keep the distance from Flint Rock okay with the 3e map squidging). I've defaulted to putting it back in it's original position, BUT 5e has it a bit north.

This, together with the changes in the Nether/Rauvin changes, COULD potentially be explained by a century of passed time, together with the large scale earthquakes of the Sundering. Storm King's Thunder details Mornbryn's on being on an outcrop of rock similar to the Volo's description - so it's possible the town relicated there due to geographical changes following the Spellplague. So I'm still up in the air on whether to follow original or current sources here.

The Rauvin/Nether change feels more... wrong. I could believe the geography change as due to the Sundering, but keeping the "Fork Road" and "Turnstone Pass" names but having them run to different locations doesn't feel right. This isn't entirely a new problem - reconciling the 3e era maps with the current ones isn't easy - but I think they got it wrong, which is why I've stayed with the original material in that area. That said, I may have it wrong, and the Sundering may have really affected that specific area.

So, this stuff is relatively open to debate. Keen to hear anyone and everyone's thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  18:13:59  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sure I would to use this map with a change in Olostin's Hold. Our group goes along the Evermoor Way frequently.

Whatever 5e says about Olostin's Hold isn't a change...it's a MISTAKE. It's always been southeast of the Evermoor Way backed up against the western edge of the high forest. It can't very well be halfway between Everlund and Yartar if it's against the Silverwood can it?

Edited by - Cards77 on 16 Dec 2016 18:15:31
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  18:44:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to my world. When it comes to the maps, 3e actually gives me worse nightmares than 4e ever did. A LOT of stuff was added to the 3e Realms, and now it all has to be backwards-engineered to the old style geography (which I am mostly done with already).

Olostin's Hold is not on Ed's originals, but it is in the FRIA, which was repeatedly corrected by Eric Boyd himself (sending instructions to the folks at ProFantasy), and it is south of the Evermoor Way, where it was on every map. If Eric's High Forest material ever sees the light of day, it will also be south in the lore.

HOWEVER, there is a VERY simple fix. You see, I've already figured-out that the 1e/2e/3e realms happened at least a century in OUR past. When Elminster comes by Ed's house to 'talk Realms', he is telling stories from the past. And sometimes he gets a little mixed-up (1100+ years will do that to a human brain), especially when a site has moved

SOLUTION:
Olostin's Hold was originally as described in the Volo's guide; the 'abandoned keep' is indeed north of the road, near Silverwood... and also WAY too close the Evermoors. The settlement founded by Elthond Varr was built around that keep, and was continually raided by trolls and other fell creatures out of the moors. After Elthond's death, the settlement itself was rebuilt south of the road, closer to the High Forest, where it was felt to be a safer location - most 'threats' feared the elves and treants of that ancient wood. Some few remained at the original location - a small group to maintain the keep - since it was all part of the 'dale' of Olostinholt (Volo's Guide states that most of the population live in 'outlying farms').

And there it sat, in its well-known spot, for over 20 years. Unfortunately, times change, and so do friends and foes alike. The orcs of Gairackdar began to shift north (as the elves began to re-take the southern forest), and started to raid in earnest. Then there was the incident with the Tree Ghost tribe, the Citadel of the Mists, & Hellgate Keep, which caused the majority of treants (and other 'forest protectors') to move east (and eventually covering Hellgate Dell with the High Forest itself). Next, the Shades returned, and whatever brought them back caused quite a disturbance in the eastern half of the forest - centered around Karse - and driving all manner of beasts and monsters (and worse) from that region, further making the NW corner of the forest more inhospitable. As for the Shades themselves, they made it known they considered Olostin's Hold part of their territory (they were looking for an old fortress/laboratory dating from the Age of Netheril that was located somewhere in the vicinity). Eventually, the Netherese attacked Olostin's Hold, or rather, all the 'sleeper agents' the Zhents had there, as part of their plan to wipe all traces of Zhentil Keep from the face of Toril. A large portion of the village was summarily destroyed in the process. At this point, some of the older folk thought it might be best to move back north, near the keep. Word had gotten around that a certain dark elf (and the riders of Nesmé) had done a great deal of damage to the troll population, and although the moors were still far from safe, they were starting to look like the better option once again.

And finally, the Spellplague struck. 'Something' exploded almost right under the town - whether it was whatever the Shades had once been searching for, or was something else entirely (some ancient magic from the time of The Crown Wars?), no-one could say. Although the casualties were minimal, the area had become a small patch of Plague-wrought land (wild magic zone). To add insult to injury, there were far worse explosions and other happenings going on all throughout the High Forest, and strange creatures were pouring forth from gates from other worlds and planes. In a word, it had become a 'very unhealthy' place to be. The last few holdouts finally moved north, near the keep, and kept a low profile for many years, until things began to settle down in Faerûn once again... or at least, got back to something approaching 'normal'.

(In 5e) The area where the second (now 'old') Olostin's Hold once stood is known as Keeper's Folly (the original/new village is usually just called 'Olostin', but maps will still show the official name), and is guarded by a group of rangers, mostly consisting of elves, but there are a few humans and even an Orc(!) amongst the guardians. The wild magic zone is not nearly as lethal as it once was, but it is still very dangerous, hence the protectors. At least three evil groups have tried to perform 'dark rights' on the site (the dimensional veil is thinner in this area), but were thwarted by these stalwarts.

At the end of the day, most of the people still live how and where they always lived - in Olostinholt, between the Silverwood and the High Forest. The local gathering place (village) may have changed a couple of times (and there is an Inn* right on The Evermorr Way), but the people just tend to roll with it.. as most Realmsians have learned to do in The North.

*And if we decide to move forward with a DM's Guild Candlekeep Compendium, I may just have to write all of this up, article-style, including the 'Doomy Inn'.

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Dec 2016 22:22:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  18:55:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

sure I would to use this map with a change in Olostin's Hold. Our group goes along the Evermoor Way frequently.

Whatever 5e says about Olostin's Hold isn't a change...it's a MISTAKE. It's always been southeast of the Evermoor Way backed up against the western edge of the high forest. It can't very well be halfway between Everlund and Yartar if it's against the Silverwood can it?
I have explained it all above, but on my newest map of The North, I will show BOTH locations. I should have had that up on DeviantART two weeks ago, but I started three other maps (Epic ADD ). The geography part is 99% done - I just have to add the new text.

And since that was a 'hold me over' for the REAL maps I am supposed to be working on (Cormyr-Impiltur), now I have to make sure I'll have THAT done by the Holidays, because there is no way I'll have the main ones done as I had planned (January for sure).

I'll hopefully have something 'special' though, up on DeviantART later today... that should raise a few eyebrows (even though its a new take on several older maps).

I notice the new, 5e Map of The North put the lake BACK in the Trollmoors - its about time it showed back up (on maps other than mine).

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Dec 2016 19:07:44
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  21:50:58  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really, really like that explanation. I've been trying to justify the changes myself but I hadn't come up with anything that good. Great stuff!

I think it can definitely be argued that the "northern" placement would be a mistake if the current edition maps were for previous periods in time, but the Sundering, a great geographical change intertwined with great political turmoil with the frolicking about Chosen, has happened since. I think it's impossible to say anything new or changed is definitely a mistake - but of course there can be things we don't like or we think are a mistake. I reached out to the current team on Twitter about Olostin's & Mornbryn's and they stood by the new locations, so I can only assume that's where they'll stay in future products set in 1491 and beyond - even if it doesn't feel right for the 1350s-70s, or even the 1480s. Myself, I'm content with the new location for 1491 with all that time and RSE's invetween, with Markustay's explanation helping to fill in some gaps.

Though as I said above, I'm still happy to make a 1350s/70s edition of the map, even with a broken up Glimmerwood, subject to interest here.

Edit: Markustay's explanation reminds me of Ed's explanation for the changing location of Glister!
Edit 2: Updated dates and points in the above. I forgot Olostin's Hold is to the south in the 4e Schley map of the Silver Marches, so it's put there in 1479 too. For me this emphasizes the need for an explanation like Markustay's above, as despite all this, I don't see them reneging on its current placement (which is still backed up by Volo's Guide to the North).

Edited by - KanzenAU on 16 Dec 2016 22:10:49
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  22:22:36  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem of Olostin's is compounded upon further in Storm King's Thunder upon reviewing it - the locations of the Headless Troll and the Flaming Flagon are both mentioned, complete with ensorcelled flagon. Volo's mentions these locations and the flagon too, along with it being north of the Evermoor Way. Neither source mention anything to do with the High Forest or the Silverwood specifically, just that it's north of the Evermoor Way.

Then, the North boxed set and later 3e products have it south of the Evermoor Way, and the High Forest begins to get worked into the lore.

An explanation like Markustay's still seems the best way to reconcile the two. Perhaps this quote from Silver Marches could be used:
quote:
Of late the folk of Olostin’s Hold have been much troubled by trolls driven south from the Evermoors.

So perhaps the original settlement was near the Silverwood, as Volo noted, then trolls drove the townsfolk to build a new keep to the south near the High Forest, which was maintained until the events of the Sundering and then abandoned for the original settlement. This way most of the Markustay explanation still works (the only problem for that explanation being the 4e map showing Olostin's Hold to the south - which might have been a mapmaker's error anyway, showing "Keeper's Folly").

Through this way we can avoid contradictions in the lore, in the time-honoured Ed-fashion of explaining around it.

Edited by - KanzenAU on 16 Dec 2016 22:26:35
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2016 :  22:31:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may have actually over-complicated it, trying to tie it to every scrap of Realmslore, but in essence, there are two (three?) Olostin's Holds - there is the village proper, which has shifted back-and-forth because of troubling times, and than there is the 'greater Olostin's Hold', which is the dale itself (and I renamed Olostinholt above). Thus, no map is completely wrong, nor completely right - the cartographers (in-setting) mostly go by maps others have done, and could have been outdated at the time. Very few map-makers actually make the journeys themselves. Assume volo's Guide to The North is the oldest (was it really?) of his guide-books, so it may have already been a good decade 'behind' at the time 1e was published.

So the region hasn't changed at all - the people have just 'picked up and moved' the settlement (at least) twice. Also, saying the Keep itself was at the northern location the whole time doesn't step on any canon, so its all good.

So you have 'The Hold' in the north, Olostin (the village) to the south, and Olostin's Hold (Olostinholt) is the whole thing, which easily explains-away all the confusion.

And the creation of the 'nation' (political entity) of Luruar also helps explain why they would have wanted to shift back north - they fell just outside the boundary of the Silver Marches by being south of the road (which is considered 'High Forest', regionally).

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Dec 2016 22:38:34
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2016 :  01:56:59  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely interested in opinions on whether to keep the "new" location of Mornbryn's Shield, and the alternate Rauvin/Nether setup shown in 5th edition (presumably caused by the Sundering if not a mistake), or not for my map of 1491.

Here's a link to the current (Storm King's Thunder) map if you haven't seen it, courtesy of the Extra Life charity:
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/SKTPreview_map.jpg

This is pretty much the last thing I need to decide before release. I've already got layers with them in the old-school and the new configurations, but I'm not sure which one to go with for the "most-canon" release. I understand most people here are 1350s traditionalists, but keep in mind this is a 1490s map, and please give your opinion on this based on that.

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2016 :  12:27:11  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is so good just what I needed thank you!

Will you make a 1350-70s edition of the map as well with the broken up Glimmerwood and etc?

Edited by - farinal on 19 Dec 2016 07:33:19
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  12:23:42  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The final version is almost ready to be released.

As to versions for 1356/1374/in between, I am happy to do those for people here at Candlekeep, and even have them hosted here if the mods wish it.

I assume the main changes are the Glimmerwood (which changed post-Spellplague), and the borders of the High Forest - retracting from the Everwood & Hellgate Keep areas (which changed in the 1360s).

If people post what they want, I'm happy to make an alternate version that suits the desires of the folks here.

Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  14:30:52  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will use it for my campaign based on the 3E Silver Marches book so I think that makes it around year 1350s?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  14:38:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silver Marches was around 1375, I believe.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2016 :  15:00:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1372 DR

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2016 :  11:09:00  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've realised that for this map to be truly useful to people outside of this forum, I need to tell them what all the different locations actually are. To this end, I'm preparing a companion "Cyclopaedia of the North" to the map. I've just finished listing the locations and geographical features on the map, and they come in at somewhere around 250!

So, it may be a little longer until the map's release as I slowly detail all these. The detail will be minimal to try and encourage people to get the original sources (and support the original authors).

At the moment the idea is to release the map in it's 1491 form, in both player and DM versions, hexed and unhexed. Plus, there will be a version with only Storm King's Thunder locations on it for those playing through that, and another version with Underdark locations included as well. There will also be a 1375 map included.

While this is being done, plenty more time for feedback!

Edited by - KanzenAU on 20 Dec 2016 11:10:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000