Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Elemental Evil PCs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  01:42:30  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Introducing aarakockra, deep gnomes, genasi and (for some reason) goliaths as player races.

Any thoughts on this development?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  01:53:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, why not? I've played many beast races before they were even "allowed." What edition do you plan on using?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  01:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it. I now have racial stats for every PC I have ever had in a game, so that is a plus.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  10:16:08  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't be using the aaracockra or the goliath in my campaign, but maybe the deep gnome an genasi.
It's nice to see how some extra material for the themed campaign is out, though, Elemental evil, goliath, genasi, makes sense.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  13:09:33  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought goliaths were a little superfluous. You already have the earth-related powers of deep gnomes and I would have rather seen a different water or fire-themed race just for a touch more variety.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  14:46:42  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Goliaths are probably included for players who like playing big people. I've DMd a few, so I know they exist.

I agree that the situation called for races with a closer connection to the elements. I would love to see mephits developed as a PC race. The 5e MM mephit art suggests that they're not being considered in that light, though.

Paraelemental genasi would have been a fun twist. Sylphs, sirines, sandmen, and azer (or magmin) would be cool.

At least it wasn't elemental-themed orcs, goblins, kobolds, or dragonkin. Nobody needs red, white, blue, and black humanoids.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  15:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now you've got me torn. I was happy with the release, and now I'm wishing for more.
I see what hash is saying about putting in a different water / fire creature. What I was going to do with the goliath is tweak it's flavor text to make some of it's abilities more fire based. It's what we did in 3.5 for a friend who wanted to play a "quarter but not quite fire giant" cleric of Tempus.

Which raises a question, how prominent have the aarakockra featured in the Realms prior to this? I seem to have missed it. With the spotlight being placed on them as a PC race, I'm curious.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  16:19:55  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outside of the little blurb in Monsters of Faerun, confirmed/finalized in Races of Faerun, I don't remember seeing much/anything about aarakocra in the Realms up through 3e.
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  22:58:07  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

I thought goliaths were a little superfluous.

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

What I was going to do with the goliath is tweak it's flavor text to make some of it's abilities more fire based.

Also, tweaking goliaths as an ice-based race sounds fun, giving their mountain-icy background

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  00:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

I thought goliaths were a little superfluous.

quote:

What I was going to do with the goliath is tweak it's flavor text to make some of it's abilities more fire based.

Also, tweaking goliaths as an ice-based race sounds fun, giving their mountain-icy background

Could be. I could start a cult of "Auril" worshipers who love ice and winter, but don't share the goddess' evil tenants of slaying and causing others to fear her and want to be more neutral in their worship of ice and cold and winter.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  02:00:04  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which raises a question, how prominent have the aarakockra featured in the Realms prior to this? I seem to have missed it. With the spotlight being placed on them as a PC race, I'm curious.

Aarakockra were not originally a Realms race. They were kind of shoehorned into every main campaign setting short of Birthright. 5e has explained this away by saying that they are native to the Plane of Air. They originally had their own god but then were stated as being followers of Aerdrie Faenya and were given a short and sparsely detailed history.

They played a much larger part in the Living Jungle RPGA campaign than they ever did in the main FR setting though.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 12 Mar 2015 02:02:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000