Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms is Core World of 5E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2014 :  20:46:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well I just downloaded the new D&D Basic rules for the new edition. As I peruse though the PDF I come to the human section of the Races. Here we find a little detail about the different ethnicities that can be found in the Forgotten Realms. It goes on to list Calishite, Chondathan, Damaran, Illuskan, Mulan, Rashemi, Shou, Tethyrian, and Turami descriptions and example names.

Further, in the Cleric section, your choice of Domain refers to particular Realms deities (among deities of other settings) though I'm not certain that it's extremely specific. In the PDF your play a Cleric of Life (though other domains will be present in the PHB) but this domain has a few deities that you can choose from such as Chauntea, Lathander, and Ilmater from the Forgotten Realms. So it's similar to 3E where domains are a bit broad and that multiple deities can be listed under the same domain.

Further when they list creating character personalities they use two polar opposites to show the contrast: Tika Waylan and Artemis Entreri.

That's as much as I saw in my brief look through the PDF and I'm under the assumption that these are taken pretty much from the New player's handbook. This also confirms that if your making a character WotC is giving you options that directly correlate with starting up in the Forgotten Realms.

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2014 :  00:07:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the basic thing might just be for the realms.....

well you never know

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2014 :  00:46:59  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Well I just downloaded the new D&D Basic rules for the new edition. As I peruse though the PDF I come to the human section of the Races. Here we find a little detail about the different ethnicities that can be found in the Forgotten Realms. It goes on to list Calishite, Chondathan, Damaran, Illuskan, Mulan, Rashemi, Shou, Tethyrian, and Turami descriptions and example names.

Further, in the Cleric section, your choice of Domain refers to particular Realms deities (among deities of other settings) though I'm not certain that it's extremely specific. In the PDF your play a Cleric of Life (though other domains will be present in the PHB) but this domain has a few deities that you can choose from such as Chauntea, Lathander, and Ilmater from the Forgotten Realms. So it's similar to 3E where domains are a bit broad and that multiple deities can be listed under the same domain.

Further when they list creating character personalities they use two polar opposites to show the contrast: Tika Waylan and Artemis Entreri.

That's as much as I saw in my brief look through the PDF and I'm under the assumption that these are taken pretty much from the New player's handbook. This also confirms that if your making a character WotC is giving you options that directly correlate with starting up in the Forgotten Realms.

I really, really like the Variant Rule they put in for Humans and using the Optional Feats rule. I'm going to have so much fun with that.
It did get my wheels turning and made me think about implementing a similar house rule that a guy on the D&D Next Facebook Group suggested. Allow any other Race to give up two Ability score bumps to gain a single feat at first level.

I digress. Really loving the amount of variety and detail they gave Humans. They aren't just your generic person, you have personality, and it has an impact on your character.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2014 :  10:07:38  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, Tika Waylan is a Dragonlance character. But glad the material is receiving decent reviews by fellow scribes. I'm waiting for the core books though (and still won't decide to purchase them until I've read through them at my local hobby shop).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  00:24:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'n not ready to subscribe to the idea that the Realms is core for 5E.

The core rule books will make mention of several D&D campaign worlds, not just the Realms.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  00:48:54  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting the same impression as Jeremy on this. They have said the core books will be all inclusive-mentioning all the settings not just the Realms.

I think some fans, including me at 1 point, assumed that because the early 5E adventures (including the starter one) and the Adventurer League (i.e. organized play) stuff is set in the Realms that that meant that FR was the default. This doesn't seem to actually be the case.
For all we know, the adventure focus could shift to a new setting every year and we see lots of other campaign explored.
Right now, the focus is on the realms but that will probably change.

edit: To return to the OP, FR isn't the Core World, it's one of many Core Worlds.

Edited by - hobbitfan on 05 Jul 2014 00:51:19
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  06:00:28  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DL fans have spotted several more references to that setting in the rules thus far. Supporting all settings goes in line with their intent to have this be the rule set to unite as much of the disparate fanbase as possible, across all editions (and presumably all editions).
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  19:27:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Realms being the default PHB/DMG setting, personally.

All too many times Ive seen Greyhawk stuff in the core books - yet hardly anything else about Greyhawk follows up. So there are spells by Melf and Mordenkainen, there are gods like Boccob and Iuz, there are nifty toys like Zagygs Talisman, and the awesomeness of Vecnas nasty old body parts. But thats it ... no descriptions about history or backstory or context to put them in ... at least not until long after a pile of boxed Realmslore comes out.

It seems obvious that the core books and core setting should support each other. It seems senseless to keep pushing a flagship setting which differs from the afterthought setting on which the ruleset is built.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  21:21:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I like the Realms being the default PHB/DMG setting, personally.

All too many times Ive seen Greyhawk stuff in the core books - yet hardly anything else about Greyhawk follows up. So there are spells by Melf and Mordenkainen, there are gods like Boccob and Iuz, there are nifty toys like Zagygs Talisman, and the awesomeness of Vecnas nasty old body parts. But thats it ... no descriptions about history or backstory or context to put them in ... at least not until long after a pile of boxed Realmslore comes out.

It seems obvious that the core books and core setting should support each other. It seems senseless to keep pushing a flagship setting which differs from the afterthought setting on which the ruleset is built.

I have zero proof of this, but I've long been of the opinion that making Greyhawk core was part of the price for getting Gary Gygax back on board with 3E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  22:45:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't read me wrong: Greyhawk is fantastic and worthy in many ways. Gygax's own homebrew (more or less), a prototype for all settings which followed.

I was introduced to D&D through the Realms. But the vaguely creepy "old guys" with years of AD&D(1E) campaigning under their belts and mountains of esoteric TSR lorebooks were really big on Greyhawk, they sorta viewed Dragonlance and the Realms as shallow interlopers with little merit beyond popular draw among the "younger" players. To be honest, I'd always thought of Greyhawk as a bit campy, stuffy, dull, obsolete, full of archaic and "unrealistic" fantasy contrivances - at least until I got my grubby hands on the AD&D (1E& 2E) Greyhawk Adventures sourcebook.

Gygax was great in his time, Gygax's Greyhawk work was great in its time. I'm not into celebrating celebrities - couldn't care less how popular other people might be - but I realize that Gygax's name (like Greenwood's name) is still synonymous with the Dungeons & Dragons brand, thus it's important to have such fellows onboard. Yet I shake my head every time I see core D&D rulebooks republish Greyhawk stuff over and over, every time I meet new players (who know little about D&D outside of their new-edition core rulebooks) and their confusion about why, for example, Kord is not an important deity in Cormyr, or why Vecna doesn't kick Szass Tam's butt.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  07:15:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Yet I shake my head every time I see core D&D rulebooks republish Greyhawk stuff over and over, every time I meet new players (who know little about D&D outside of their new-edition core rulebooks) and their confusion about why, for example, Kord is not an important deity in Cormyr, or why Vecna doesn't kick Szass Tam's butt.

This makes me wonder how WotC plans to write up Realms deities in the PHB vis-a-vis the deity write ups in the 5E Realms book(s).

That is, will the write ups be significantly different to cause confusion?

If I recall correctly 4E seemed to leave some people scratching their heads regarding Bane, but I didn't play 4E enough with brand new gamers (to D&D and the Realms under 4E), nor did I follow the 4E forums, to know if this was a widespread or confusing issue

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

JohnnyGrognard
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  04:01:13  Show Profile Send JohnnyGrognard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayrik- Sadly, they don't publish enough Greyhawk. The only reason we see the same bits republished is due to the fact they keep giving us a list of the gods. 3rd edition had a few modules, the gods/icons in the core books, and the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

2nd Edition had the a bunch of adventures, supplements, and box sets, but these were severely broken due to problems within TSR at the time. Much of the information was contradictory or upped the timeline.

1st had the most considering all the modules, the box set, folio, and core books.

Frankly, I'd love to see a full campaign guide and players guide, perhaps a box set or two devoted to Greyhawk with as much devotion that is given to other worlds.

But I am also a diehard Greyhawk fan so I am a bit biased.

As for the topic of the OP, I think it is pretty certain that FR is going to be their "core" world. But, I am hopeful, for the language in the Basic pdf has led me to believe that equal love will be given to many worlds. :)

Door, Room, Monster, Treasure!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  16:41:39  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are other FR references in the other race sections. Like Moon and Gold Elves both being high elves in FR. Shield and Gold Dwarves are also mentioned.

Honestly I think thier is a default metasetting instead of a default setting.

So the default setting is the metasetting of the d&d 5e Multiverse, which has a variety of d&d settings within it, including FR, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Planescape, and so on.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2014 :  00:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyGrognard

Ayrik- Sadly, they don't publish enough Greyhawk. The only reason we see the same bits republished is due to the fact they keep giving us a list of the gods. 3rd edition had a few modules, the gods/icons in the core books, and the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

2nd Edition had the a bunch of adventures, supplements, and box sets, but these were severely broken due to problems within TSR at the time. Much of the information was contradictory or upped the timeline.

1st had the most considering all the modules, the box set, folio, and core books.

Frankly, I'd love to see a full campaign guide and players guide, perhaps a box set or two devoted to Greyhawk with as much devotion that is given to other worlds.

But I am also a diehard Greyhawk fan so I am a bit biased.

As for the topic of the OP, I think it is pretty certain that FR is going to be their "core" world. But, I am hopeful, for the language in the Basic pdf has led me to believe that equal love will be given to many worlds. :)

Some of my favorite 3e Greyhawk came in the form of those wonderful Adventure Paths in the final print days of Dungeon mag. I really wish those had been set in the Realms.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2014 :  04:06:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

There are other FR references in the other race sections. Like Moon and Gold Elves both being high elves in FR. Shield and Gold Dwarves are also mentioned.

Honestly I think thier is a default metasetting instead of a default setting.

So the default setting is the metasetting of the d&d 5e Multiverse, which has a variety of d&d settings within it, including FR, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Planescape, and so on.

Which reflects what we've been told in previous D&D Next updates over the last few years ... that old mainstays of the D&D game would be receiving *some* attention in the core of the new edition of the game.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2014 :  04:51:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was nice to see all of the references, both to the Realms and Dragonlance, in the Basic PDF. I'm very interested to see what the promised section of example deities will look like in the Player's Handbook.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2014 :  14:46:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more attention the realms is getting the better I say. I may be a bit biased but its always seemed like the most interesting D&D setting to me.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2014 :  15:33:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Practically, "Core Setting" would mean that the worst inanities (Books of the Vile Exalted Deeds and worse), misfired experiments (Gates of Doodling Peak and worse) and just weird brain-flatulence (Magic of Jedincarnum and worse) get all dumped into FR by default. Not that it would be much of a change at this point, but still.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2014 :  17:56:30  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Practically, "Core Setting" would mean that the worst inanities (Books of the Vile Exalted Deeds and worse), misfired experiments (Gates of Doodling Peak and worse) and just weird brain-flatulence (Magic of Jedincarnum and worse) get all dumped into FR by default. Not that it would be much of a change at this point, but still.

Sounds like it'll be the "and the kitchen sink" sort of thing. Honestly it makes sense because the Realms are already viewed as such anyways. Asian-themed? Check! Medieval Europe with Wizards? Check! Egyptian-themed? Check..? Jungles? Check! Desert themed? Check! High Magic areas? Check! Space ships? Check! Gunns? Check! Samurai? Check! Samurai wielding Gunns? Check! Dark, Gothic and brooding areas? Check! Zombieland-esque area and landscapes? Check!

Basically, if it's trope OR has been a genre at some point I'm sure the Realms have dealt with it at some point in it's vast timeline.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2014 :  20:18:23  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friends said FR will be the default setting, but given the DL references I'm not sure...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2014 :  01:40:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think all of the campaign settings bar GH (notice how there has been no mention of Greyhawk ...) will be touchstones for various mechanics in the rules. I'm hoping that the dedicated campaign sourcebooks (if they are released) will flesh this out in greater detail.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Jul 2014 01:41:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000