Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 All please read ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  14:52:03  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the users of Candlekeep appears to be operating their PC with a virus running on it.

My personal mail box is currently being flooded by messages indicating that an attempt to send an e-mail to wiseguy_at_wizards.com has failed.

The e-mail to wiseguy is almost certainly being generated by the MyDoom virus (which was discovered on 26th January 2004). One of the effects of the virus is that it will send e-mails to people in your address book using other addresses in your address book as the source address. This means that if a delivery fails, the message doesn't come back to you, it comes back to the spoof address (in this case me).

It would appear that someone, somewhere has the following two addresses in their address book:

kahonen_at_softhome.net
wiseguy_at_wizards.com

I have explored all other avenues and the users of Candlekeep are the only people I can imagine that would have both of the addresses.

I would be very grateful if people reading this could check their e-mail address books and if they have both addresses listed, go to the following address and download the appropriate tool to remove the virus:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100983.htm

In case anyone wonders, I am NOT accusing anyone of doing this deliberately. I'm just asking for your help.

Thanks for your time.

Note for Alaundo: aplogies for posting this here but my personal e-mail address is rapidly becoming unusable.

Edited by - kahonen on 30 Jan 2004 15:22:49

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  16:26:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The actual virus was discovered long before the 26th January. I should know, my department at work has been resposible for much of the 'clean-up' work here over the last several weeks. I've also looked over the code of the virus itself (mostly) and seen it's truly black heart.

You'd all be well advised to follow kahonen's directions on preventing the spread of this vile fiend. Take it from someone whose seen the inner heart of this very vile creature...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2004 :  18:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone should really be running some kind of commercial quality virus scanning software at this point, lord knows I do (and a firewall wouldn't hurt). But, as far as viruses go that one is pretty benign...comparatively, seeing as I have written more destructive viruses. Not that I'd ever use one. Seriously thought, for those of you who do not function under the robust security protocols I use, do yourself a favor and get some decent protection for your machines, it isn't hard or even expensive these days...unless you want the tools I use, in which case you are gonna need like six zeros.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  02:02:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The actual virus itself is not the problem, it's what can be built into this particular coding that has the potential to cause greater harm. I think there will probably be a number of versions before this beastie is brought down...

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  14:43:06  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've checked my Address books for all my emails, and I can't find them kahonen- I'm clear of the virus. I didn't thinkl it would have been me however, I run the most recent version Nortons Firewall, and Anti-virus, and update continously.

Thanks for alerting us anyway Kahonen, I hope you get this sorted out. And I URGE all other Candlekeep users to check their address book.

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  19:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank ye for pointing this our kahonen. It is indeed a great irriation when such becomes to taint ones personal scrolls!

Good advice is given herein, please all take all steps to secure against this issue.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2004 :  19:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, recently I read a scroll dealing with said contamination. I believe it detailed the recovery of the hard-drive, but it is a tedious process.......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2004 :  03:48:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I hereby offer my unique experience to anyone encountering this problem.

If anyone is having problems with, or still having trouble, removing this vile creature called 'MyDoom', please contact me, as I may be able to help you out on this...

Please send your details to sageofperth@dragonlance.zzn.com

I'll contact you as soon as possible with relief instructions.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Feb 2004 03:49:14
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  07:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The actual virus was discovered long before the 26th January. I should know, my department at work has been resposible for much of the 'clean-up' work here over the last several weeks. I've also looked over the code of the virus itself (mostly) and seen it's truly black heart.

You'd all be well advised to follow kahonen's directions on preventing the spread of this vile fiend. Take it from someone whose seen the inner heart of this very vile creature...

Sounds like we need to update the Book of Vile Darkness. I have heard of this new demon-spirit, and as always I wonder where someone gets the desire to create such abominations . . . .

(Hmm . . . how should the entry go? "Create Doom Virus (Prerequisites: Knowledge (portal-programing) 27 ranks, Speak Language (Black Code) (as opposed to Black Speech ) . . . .")

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  12:36:04  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses.

I had no e-mails "returned to me" yesterday so I can only assume the problem is sorted.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2004 :  14:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont look at any mails from peopleI dont know so I doubt it could be me. I also do not log onto candle keep when I am not at home. So, Im even more sure its not me since I am currently on a school system that is treated with eanough attention to rival small gov. ran companies.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000