Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Fire Storm Spell 2nd ed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Graytor Holom
Acolyte

Peru
6 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2013 :  02:09:12  Show Profile Send Graytor Holom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a doubt regarding the duration of the 7th level spell on the ph 2nd ed. It says 1 round but the description says it does damage for every round someone is in the area of effect.

Thanks.

Winter is Coming

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  01:02:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PHB typos or editing oversight, in this case one you have already detected and corrected.

If you're playing 2E (or neo-2E) then you'd best be prepared to make plenty of house rules, special-case rulings, and manual revisions to every piece of magic which is cast at your table. As well as your items creation, unarmed combat, martial arts, and psionics rules.

Good luck, sir.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  05:48:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In AD&D Firestorm was a Druid spell, and it only lasted one round at level 7. However, as a round meant from the segment it was cast until ten segments later, all sorts of individuals might move into/through/near the Firestorm and take damage.

I'm not sure of their intent for 2e...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Graytor Holom
Acolyte

Peru
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  06:58:43  Show Profile Send Graytor Holom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess its meant to last 1 round per caster level as the wall of fire spell. During only one round would make the spell not powerful enough for a 7th lvl spell. Been trying to get an offical answer from wotc but havent got any reply from them..

Winter is Coming
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  07:34:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would disagree that it is meant to be one round per level.

While wall of fire lasts longer, it comes nowhere near to covering the vast area that a Firestorm Spell can cover. While the wall is only two dimensional, the Firestorm is three dimensional...it can envelope a great many targets together at once.

In all the years I've played, I have never heard Firestorm lasting more than the one round, simply because anything caught in the spell will STILL be on fire after that one round.

So think of it as a massive "flash" that then causes a major fire after. If such a spell is cast within a grasslands, think of the damage that will result as the spells aftermath sweeps across the plains...never mind how bad a forest fire would be started by such a spell.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  07:35:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for getting a reply, I'll ask Luke or Ernie Gygax what they think...not sure they will have time to answer; but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Go to Top of Page

Graytor Holom
Acolyte

Peru
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  08:06:09  Show Profile Send Graytor Holom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, though i do not agree about the one round duration, afterall this is a 7th lvl spell, on the same level as tsunami and earthquake.

Will try to contact Luke or Ernie. Still wanting to hear everyones comment about this...

Again thanks a lot!

Winter is Coming
Go to Top of Page

Graytor Holom
Acolyte

Peru
6 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  08:08:57  Show Profile Send Graytor Holom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, though i do not agree about the one round duration, afterall this is a 7th lvl spell, on the same level as tsunami and earthquake.

Will try to contact Luke or Ernie. Still wanting to hear everyones comment about this...

Again thanks a lot!

Winter is Coming
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2013 :  17:35:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO... "Duration: 1 round" is not the same as "Duration: instaneous". It starts in the same round when it's cast, and it works during the next round. So, those who couldn't get out of AoE in time or re-entered later take the damage twice.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2013 :  15:01:02  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Graytor Holom

Again thanks a lot!

You may also want to contact Steve Winter. He just polished up the re-release of the 2nd edition PHB.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000