Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dead and Wild Magic zones
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2013 :  00:09:06  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am trying to find out if anyone has ever listed the various known dead and wild magic zones in the North and Sword Coast area. My current campaign is set in 1360 near Neverwinter. Any help would be appreciated and I thank you all in advance. Cheers!

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2013 :  09:55:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's one in Yhaunn; it's an underground prison, or at least, a part of the prison is. It's mentioned in The Twilight War trilogy. The first book, I believe.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 28 May 2013 09:56:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2013 :  12:58:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of these areas are mentioned in passing, and aren't really given a lot of page count. You could drop one just about anywhere, and as long as there are no references to magic happening right there, you're not breaking any canon.

I don't recall where it was, but I remember one dead magic area that is the size and shape of a building that previously stood on that spot.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  00:47:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About half of Tantras, where Bane was defeated by Torm, is a dead magic zone. A hole in the Weave noted for being uncharacteristically stable and "permanent" and resistent to the otherwise impressive "repair" attempts of Mystran priestesses. I understand this is the largest known dead magic zone and - as it turns out - a powerful shaping force on Tantras, now a City of Thieves.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  13:08:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the problems with tracking these wild magic zones is they aren't permanent. As Ayrik mentions, the one over Tantras appears to be permanent (but when that was documented, only a few years had passed). Whether this held true more than a hundred years later may or may not be the case.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  15:03:54  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think dead-magic zones were mostly introduced to be used as a tool by Dungeon Masters rather than anything that would drastically affect life in the Realms.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  16:16:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Helmlands is the only 'set in stone' one we really have - the rest come and go (and even that is variable, depending upon the time period).

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Yes, I think dead-magic zones were mostly introduced to be used as a tool by Dungeon Masters rather than anything that would drastically affect life in the Realms.
QFT

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. They work very well in this regard (as a tool) - you plunk them down wherever you need them (for authors and gamers alike).

And just for the record, I think all the Spellplague did was extend this usefulness - now we not only have one anomaly that can explain 'magical dependability', but we can even throw-in randomly occurring gates (portals) to wherever we want, and all sorts of 'bizzaro' (DM-special) monsters. Its a really excellent Deux Ex Machina.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 May 2013 16:18:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000